Review Positives and Negatives in the WIN over Sydney - Round 5, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Does it take a bit of adversity to get us going? We've played some great games with our backs to the wall. The media BS galvanized us in 2018. With TK coming in perhaps the sheer talent was so abundant to see that the players just expected it to happen without total commitment to the cause.

Shuey going down, losing our most respected midfielder and our Captain, might just have been enough for these guys to snap into gear a bit. Yeo seemed to take Shuey's injury personally, as if he was KO'd and didn't just tweak a hamstring.

Does it take a bit of adversity to get us going? We've played some great games with our backs to the wall. The media BS galvanized us in 2018. With TK coming in perhaps the sheer talent was so abundant to see that the players just expected it to happen without total commitment to the cause.

Shuey going down, losing our most respected midfielder and our Captain, might just have been enough for these guys to snap into gear a bit. Yeo seemed to take Shuey's injury personally, as if he was KO'd and didn't just tweak a hamstring.
Add 2015 to that, a few years ago yes, but we thought it was all over when Mackenzie and Brown went down, and Freo were smashing us by 60 odd...

Not a win to get carried away with, we’ve got a lot of work to do, but there were better signs. For mine we actually looked entertaining for the first time year. Losing but losing and playing unattractive footy has made this year overly depressing.

We gave a lot to Geelong after we overlooked Kelly, but watching Allen, I don’t regret that decision one bit. Kids going to be a star.

Can't wait to watch the replay tomorrow as I have not seen it yet.

Listened on the radio and it sounded like the forward line worked very well together given more opportunities to shine. A lot more space on offer and all working for each other.

Redden is so weird to me. He's a text book inside mid (big body, tackles, can hit in hard) but I think hes played his best footy for us as an outside mid.

More than anything I'm relieved. We looked happy or if not happy then at least not funeral-esque. The kids are alright and with some creativity and sound development, our forward and backlines are going to be good after the transition period.

+ Loved Waterman and his goal. Worked hard and his enthusiasm is clearly infectious.
+ Loved Allen. He's just class, smart, skilled and hard at it. It was the first game where I truly felt that he could be anything.
+ Yeo was great and the midfield functioned much better.
+ Nic Nat was imperious and we capitalised on it. Didn't get the reward, but looked dangerous whenever he was in the forward line. More of that please.
+ JJ might actually be a player and not a stopgap. He's quick, knows how to football and is just a solid little man. Nuggety and tough.
+ Duggan, Cole, Barrass, Gov, Shep - the whole backline was great really.
+ JK was actually pretty good without the reward, looked mobile and impacted contest after contest.

- Darling was better but played within himself still, hopefully, he's turned the corner.
- I don't quite know what Kelly is atm or how we plan on using him, but he was better and hopefully that's the start of more good things.
- Injuries and the replacements aren't inspiring.

All in all a good performance albeit against an average team, but that's what we needed. Let the boys feel good about themselves after a month away. Get some confidence and reset.

I'd like Jetta in, but Nelson was good and Duggan/Cole were even better. Similarly, I like Brander, but don't think we should play him right now and definitely not on the wing.

+ More tackling, less corralling
+ Best game from Cole since 2018?
+ Waterman and Allen's attack and aggression made a huge difference! And the goals didn't hurt either.
+ Barrass hanger
+ Duggan bump
+ Epic performance by Gaff

- Injuries
- Cripps and Darling on the scoreboard finally but I still thought they could be involved more
- Dwayne laid it on a bit thick; sure there were good signs but a long way to go yet
- The new song

I felt that Waterman’s goal was the turning point - the guy bleeds blue and gold, it clearly means something to him to play for the club. After that goal all the boys went up to him and seemed to feed on his enthusiasm.

The pressure and intensity this game was completely at odds to what we dished out in the last three weeks.

I felt that Waterman’s goal was the turning point - the guy bleeds blue and gold, it clearly means something to him to play for the club. After that goal all the boys went up to him and seemed to feed on his enthusiasm.

The pressure and intensity this game was completely at odds to what we dished out in the last three weeks.
Being less than a goal down despite being dominated most of the first played a huge part in us winning imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being less than a goal down despite being dominated most of the first played a huge part in us winning imo.
It was amazing to see how the morale improved in that quarter. For the first 10 minutes it was the same old s**t, I was starting to think we actually were a bottom 4 team. When Redden got into that scuffle and gave away the 50m, I figured we were completely cooked. The boys seemed to get fired up and suddenly it was on. Waterman's goal was the last push to break the door open. From that point on everything changed, structures improved, skills lifted (though still rusty) and off we went.

It’s only Sydney and they’re garbage but any win was enough for me going in so to win relatively comfortably is a good sign. The ball movement in the second half was the best it’s looked all year, moving it on quick, knowing where the next options are etc. This team is built solely on confidence. If we can win next week (would take any margin again) and come back to a Perth hub with an even W/L after the s**t start, we’ll be swinging our dicks around ready to go on a tear.

The snake played like a true 3rd tall. Played in front and marked, tackled and chased which ironically is the same role we pay Darling to do.

Never underestimate the influence of a long term contract and JD is contracted til 2024 and he's playing like it. Ditto Cripps whose signed til 2023.

These younger blokes like Allen, Waterman, Jones even Ah Chee haven't been paid yet and play like it. You can see the hunger and attitude they bring.

A big structural change was not sitting our second ruck on the bench for over half a game. Proper game time for Allen and it showed.

Really makes you wonder what the hell coaches have been thinking in the first place though.

Maybe it was a temporary measure until Naitanui built fitness. In any case, hope we don't see that low TOG from a back-up ruck again.

So glad we grabbed Allen. What vision in the draft. You just don't pass on pure key position talent. Extremely long term vision and I doubt we expected him to burst on the scene as he has, but gee, he is GOOD.

TK will announce himself by season's end. Tidy game today.

Looked like we tried Duggan on the wing a bit today, with Gaff going inside. Don't mind it. Gaff laid some excellent tackles, too.

Lots to like. Got something to build upon before we return to Perth.
This. Gaff going on the inside gives us numbers around the contest because of his running capability. Something we've been struggling with is always being outnumbered at the contest, but having Gaff on the inside allows us to neutralise or have the outnumber. Hope we stick with this for a few weeks and see how it pans out.

POSITIVE - Much nicer to wake up the morning after when your footy team hasn't played like a pack of useless campaigners the preceding day. The coffee even tastes better :)
Much nicer when you can go back and sift through a win during the week, too. We need a few distractions.

Just watching the replay. Such a better effort:

-'s:

- Our skills are still deplorable, handballing (under little no pressure) in particular is a major concern.

- Scrappy turnovers kill us far too often, which leave us exposed defensively.

- Darling whilst much improved from previous weeks still goes to butter far to often. Still well out of sorts.

- Still not convinced of our structures and game plan. Better opposition will tell us soon.

- Double hamstring injuries a damn shame. Was really liking what Jones was bringing to the table. Hope it's not too severe.

- Ryan is trying to do far too much and therefore not being effective. I think he needs to simplify his game and go back to basics. I actually think he's been poor all year.

='s:.

- Kelly still hasn't settled into a functional role yet but he's getting better incrementally.

- Hurn was better than the last couple of weeks but the end is coming.

+'s:

- Nic Nat was excellent. Yes he was up against poor opposition but hopefully this is what we see from him more often than not this season.

- Oscar Allen is going to be an absolute star. Should play every round moving forward if fit. Has a great football brain, which is invaluable.

- Yeo was back to what we expect from him. Still not at his very best, but much, much improved. More please.

- Great to see Duggan and Cole take the game on a bit more. Best game for either of them since 2018. Hopefully they can build off this.

- JK didn't get the rewards for his hard work but presented well and halved many contests. I was one of the chorus claiming he was finished and am happy to say I was wrong. Whilst he's certainly slowed a couple of steps, I think he'll be a vital cog for us this year (which will probably be his last).

- Jake the snake brought some great energy and provided a great target up the field and inside 50. Applied great pressure too. He's playing the role Brander SHOULD have been playing. I think it's fair to call that experiment a bust and move on.
Play forwards forward and midfielders in the midfield please.

- The Gov had a quiet game but my God he's so vital to our structure and game plan. Solid return from him.

- Barrass's best game in a long time. Marked when he needed to and spoiled when appropriate. Still prone to shanking kicks but hopefully he can tidy that part of his game up.

- Shep is a gun and our only realistic option for AA on present form. He's criminally underrated by those outside of the club, just so consistent.

- Sheed was great, his best game for the season and played so after Shuey went down. His best football in 2018/19 was in Gaff's absence too. I think he needs to be played almost soley as an inside mid, despite being undersized, it's where he plays his best football.

- Like what Ah Chee brings. He should be pretty locked into this side moving forward.

- Seeing some actual work rate from our mids. What a difference that makes.

- Good to see Simpson try some different things with a much higher press being applied by our defenders, yes Sydney are poor but it definitely seemed to be an effective tactic.

Last edited:
+ Can't underestimate how important that gave is in terms of our season going forward. We just have to bring that again next week and get back to our hub level pegging.
+ Lots of players finding touch and some problem areas addressed
+ Jake and Allen locking down their returns, Jake with two of the best plays of the year and Allens fingertipper and finish was sublime.
+ Midfield played well
+ Those hammies aren't too bad, a week or probably two is better than the alternative
+ Duggan played the best I've seen him in a long time, Ditto Yeo, Gaff, Barrass etc

- why are we getting shafted by the umpires so badly this year? * me drunk its been every game. The Kennedy one, Nicnat in the square, ridiculous mark paid to Sydney in the goalsquare, both goal reviews, Gaff getting steamrolled flat in the back in a marking contest. Those are just the obvious ones. Really shithouse.

Negatives:

JD still out of form but showing a flicker.. He still had reasonable ranking score so wasnt as bad as i thought. Hopefully the young blokes drag him along with them and he gets his MOJO back next week.

Hurn still a bit out of sorts. Again, some signs in a good team that he's getting back a bit, and maybe with Jetta out he can play more of the kick out role and get more involved.

Injuries to Shuey and JJ.

Positives:

Always rated Jake Waterman. This game vindicates what we need him for. Great intensity, fitness, mobility, mongrel, beautiful kick for goal and to a lead up forward. We need heart and soul players like him and Oscar. He showed he's a beautiful kick for goal and also to the forwards.

Oscar Allen - didnt see what everyone else was on about last year. Knew he was good but didnt see the potential superstar.
Now i see it. So mobile, great skills for a tall forward. What a reach as well - that mark showed why he plays taller than he is.
He had the most score involvements i'm pretty sure, so no coincidence we were so much better.

Both JW and OA showed how to get separation from defenders with their leg speed. Sadly JK and JD just cant.

JJ showed so much. Shame about the 'string but the positive is that he is definitely worth persisting with and is a good long term project.
Some of his pick ups and skills you just can't teach - will be a good Rioli replacement i feel.

Yeo is back baby.
Sheed was very solid. Still looked slow AF at times but did well to stay involved.

Gaff is so underrated on this site.

Cripps kept trying and eventually got reward. Still seemed to have a "woe is me" attitude at times so hopefully he has snapped out of his slumber.

NN - more game time (70%) and stayed dominant. Needs to gradually increase it towards 75% and then it will make more sense combining with OA

Coaching: Structuring to our strengths - allowing us to play JW and OA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back