- Hurn
- first quarter was still disgustingly gross
- still a long way from our best footy
- injuries

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not sure how they calculated it, and I haven't noticed it before, but I liked the pressure gauge they showed during the game. First quarter we were s**t and Sydney were average, by the last quarter we were off the chart and Sydney had fallen back and *SHOCK ******* HORROR* we were well on top.

I hope Simmo bashes that damn gauge over the playing group's head for the rest of the season.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Having just watched the game

JK - Thought he played well even though the statistics say otherwise. Obviously it came together for him last week a little bit, but this week his movement was good and he doesn't look to be labouring at all. Looked passionate, gave Duggan a spray after a shallow i50 entry late in the game.

Naitanui - Forget the ruck work, he was playing like a 7ft version of Elliot Yeo for passages there. 4 tackles and a lot of interrupted chains of possession due to him coming off the line and putting pressure on.

Jones - First time I have seen him play (didn't see last week) and am super disappointed that he has done his hammy. He is a true forward, he gets busy, can stop on a dime. That agility is so crucial for anyone trying to make it as a forward who puts on defensive pressure. Very Rioli like in his movement, also built like a little nugget. Probably a touch less magic but that's no discredit to him. I want to see a lot more of him, a natural footballer with a pretty good left foot, thirst for the hard stuff and good "forward craft".

Darling - Don't mind his game at all. For someone out of form to have 2 goals and 4 tackles shows a decent intent. His contested marking is a little off but his ball use is good and he's much better below his knees than JK. Darling has played 100% TOG in every game except 1.

Ah Chee - Can see what the coaches obviously see. He lead the game in repeat sprint efforts and was top 3 for sprint efforts. Others to feature in that stat were Jones, Ryan and Cripps. Basically our smaller forwards delivered in spades on the defensive end. His ability to go hard for the ball on the ground gives us an extra edge when it hits the ground. His disposal can be really good, a bit like McGovern in that he kicks some beauties but then also some not so good kicks. Is super impressive in the air.

Sheed - The best game he has played all year. Saw him sprint hard for some loose balls despite the fact he was behind his man. Credited with 2 tackles and had some genuine attempts at getting dirty to win the ground ball. Coupled with his ability to get into space and provide an option for others to kick to and it was a pretty good game. 10 uncontested marks, but the ball use was a tiny bit off his best, which can be brilliant.

Yeo - Best game for the year as well. Besides the change in energy, his ball use looked leagues above what he has provided so far this season. It looked like every game up until this point he had heavy legs and then all of a sudden he is fresh again. Perhaps the extra 2 days off did him a world of good.

Gaff - Has been good all year, the previous games with his around the body style kicking I never really attributed to him burning players or being a poor kick of the ball. He is our best midfield disposer and for the first time in a long time he had others willing to get dirty. Gaffy is as courageous as they come, got crunched when planted under a high ball early on the game, and despite not being the best at it, went hard in some tackles and stuck them well.

Duggan - Looked like an energiser bunny, constant movement and really good positioning after he had disposed of the ball. The constant movement creates holes in the field whether he is used or not. Between him and Ryan we might see some good bumps over the years to come. His ball use seemed so neat and tidy today, don't need him to hit bullets like Jetta, he is still capable of attacking and kicking to advantage with a pretty good soft touch.

Kelly - Needs to learn to kick to advantage. Loved his attitude and defensive pressure though and it is only a matter of time before he has a good game.

Team / Structure / Attitude - The fact that the sprint efforts were 275 to 204 in favour of the Eagles was a great sign. It was also the most marks we have taken all year. Something so crucial for that game plan to work the way it does.

The way that the players came off their man to shut down chains of handballs from the opposition and managed to get the ball out to players in space made the whole game open up and as a spectacle it was much better, despite some still rusty skills.

Positives :whitecheck:

Waterman has ALWAYS been too good to be playing in the WAFL. Glad everyone agrees this week so i don't have to read "Waterman isn't AFL standard" comments.

Allen only had the 7 hitouts, not sure Simpson is going to be happy with that. Hickey IN next week to give first opportunity to the mids.

Naitanui put on a clinic as expected against a couple of unfortunates. Felt for Alir Alir. Where was Sinclair?

Despite being held goalless, i actually thought Kennedy's game was a positive. Should of had a couple.

Sheppard would have to be leading our B&F so far in 2020. Faultless again.

Cripps finally breaks the goal drought. You could tell he and all his teammates knew.

Sexy beast Elliot was back. 21 touches, team high 5 tackles, team high 469 metres gained, equal team high 9 clearances.

Negatives 🗑

Better from Darling, but he still isn't quite right unfortunately. Have to keep playing him and hoping he can string together good games to get some confidence.

Kelly's kicking is a concern IMO. It was a point of discussion brought up by many before he was drafted, and it's noticeable now. I'm sure it wouldn't be as much of an issue if he hand-balled more, but his 'outside role' he played vs the swans had him streaming through and taking many kicks which were poor. Only 4 of his touches were contested, so there's no excuse. 10 kicks, 9 handballs. 4 Clangers, most for West Coast. Awkward considering he also led our inside 50's with 7.

Shuey and ya boy Jamaines injuries :(

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Watched the replay and the one thing that constantly annoyed me was how often JK and JD were in the same marking contest. They’re both good enough to beat their opponent 10 times over in a 1v1 and I never understand why they continue to make life harder for each other by having 2 opponents, plus themselves, contesting the same mark. They should be going in opposite directions to lead their defenders away from each other. Every time it goes forward, without fail, they’re within 10 metres of each other.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Watched the replay and the one thing that constantly annoyed me was how often JK and JD were in the same marking contest. They’re both good enough to beat their opponent 10 times over in a 1v1 and I never understand why they continue to make life harder for each other by having 2 opponents, plus themselves, contesting the same mark. They should be going in opposite directions to lead their defenders away from each other. Every time it goes forward, without fail, they’re within 10 metres of each other.
That's been a problem for seasons, often going up together and spoiling it for the other, or it goes to ground and the oppo get it. Even the commentators mentioned that problem and how they should be working away from each other...and what of the forward coach?

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
That's been a problem for seasons, often going up together and spoiling it for the other, or it goes to ground and the oppo get it. Even the commentators mentioned that problem and how they should be working away from each other...and what of the forward coach?

And JD ATM is looking slow and wooden. I remember a few seasons back he would chase and run players down from behind - not anymore. He has bulked up to much, and lost speed and agility, IMO.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
And JD ATM is looking slow and wooden. I remember a few seasons back he would chase and run players down from behind - not anymore. He has bulked up to much, and lost speed and agility, IMO.
One of his goals came from a HTB free from a chase down....

He is looking a bit out of sorts but I think it is mostly mental. I wouldn't be surprised to see him explode when back in Perth.

Mick63

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Absolutely love this from the weekend. I really hope this game was the circuit breaker.

05WCSy20CHP220289833.JPG

Absolutely love this from the weekend. I really hope this game was the circuit breaker.

View attachment 907053

I think Waterman is just about my favourite Eagle. He just flat out loves the club and the boys. Add a disgusting haircut and bombing 55m goals and you've got the recipe for a cult hero.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
If I am reading the media reports correctly, Redden has been cited for striking, and fined, for a punch that didn't connect

How in the hell does that work?

Thats like citing someone for a dangerous tackle without any physical contact

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I think Waterman is just about my favourite Eagle. He just flat out loves the club and the boys. Add a disgusting haircut and bombing 55m goals and you've got the recipe for a cult hero.
The mo and mullet is rank but i love it

Well it's funny you should mention it gaiz.

Oscar is averaging higher numbers than Darling in every single category in 2020. Despite averaging 36% less game time, and having half as many clangers.

More disposals :whitecheck:
More contested possessions :whitecheck:
More marks :whitecheck:
More contested marks :whitecheck:
More tackles :whitecheck:
More goals :whitecheck:
More scoring shots :whitecheck:
More score involvements :whitecheck:
More goal assists :whitecheck:
More metres gained :whitecheck:
More HITOUTS :whitecheck:
More clearances :whitecheck:
More rankings points :whitecheck:
Better disposal efficiency :whitecheck:

They've booted the same amount of goals, despite the fact Darling has played an extra 2 games.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Aaaahhh...OAllen the Golden Child.
- AhChee really does bring some energy to the team.But he needs to bring it every week as his 85-90% is not good enough.
- Nice to see Barass going for his marks again.
-Nice to see Cole going straight again.
-JK worked hard and should have had three goals.OA and Jk are currently locks.JD had better be careful coz four into three wont go.
Negs...Sydney were s**t lets face it.
- Cripps? Still way off.
-I wish Shepherd would not stop every time he takes a mark.Go man go!!
- NN the opposition were reading the little drop at your feet.Mix it up.
-Am i the only one pissed at seeing three of our players get rolled by one of theirs? For f##ks sake guys!! TALK!! Shepherd.Pretend your back in U12s.
- Shueys injury may have a silver lining in that Kelly could have a bit more space around the ball.
-Yeh yeh its a win and ill take it.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Well it's funny you should mention it gaiz.

Oscar is averaging higher numbers than Darling in every single category in 2020. Despite averaging 36% less game time, and having half as many clangers.

More disposals :whitecheck:
More contested possessions :whitecheck:
More marks :whitecheck:
More contested marks :whitecheck:
More tackles :whitecheck:
More goals :whitecheck:
More scoring shots :whitecheck:
More score involvements :whitecheck:
More goal assists :whitecheck:
More metres gained :whitecheck:
More HITOUTS :whitecheck:
More clearances :whitecheck:
More rankings points :whitecheck:
Better disposal efficiency :whitecheck:

They've booted the same amount of goals, despite the fact Darling has played an extra 2 games.

Ive said it since day one.OA is a star!!!!

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
The real question is, what now for brander?

1) Put together some consistently good form at WAFL/reserves level and legitimately earn a recall. Not one good game here and there. Not some fleeting moments. A string of strong form in the seconds. He should be dominating at the lower levels, and though he has shown some signs, he isnt where he should be

2) improve one on one physicality in contested moments and improve attack on the ball

3) arguably, request a change of position to the backline. I can see where the clubs head is at trialling him on the wing; he is as tall as the modern midfielder, he is mobile, and he has good hands. But i just don't think that's where his future lies. To me, i think he is suited to being a defender and taking the third tall. And if he puts on a bit more size and strength, maybe one day end up at center half back

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives :whitecheck:

Waterman has ALWAYS been too good to be playing in the WAFL. Glad everyone agrees this week so i don't have to read "Waterman isn't AFL standard" comments.

Allen only had the 7 hitouts, not sure Simpson is going to be happy with that. Hickey IN next week to give first opportunity to the mids.

Naitanui put on a clinic as expected against a couple of unfortunates. Felt for Alir Alir. Where was Sinclair?

Despite being held goalless, i actually thought Kennedy's game was a positive. Should of had a couple.

Sheppard would have to be leading our B&F so far in 2020. Faultless again.

Cripps finally breaks the goal drought. You could tell he and all his teammates knew.

Sexy beast Elliot was back. 21 touches, team high 5 tackles, team high 469 metres gained, equal team high 9 clearances.

Negatives 🗑

Better from Darling, but he still isn't quite right unfortunately. Have to keep playing him and hoping he can string together good games to get some confidence.

Kelly's kicking is a concern IMO. It was a point of discussion brought up by many before he was drafted, and it's noticeable now. I'm sure it wouldn't be as much of an issue if he hand-balled more, but his 'outside role' he played vs the swans had him streaming through and taking many kicks which were poor. Only 4 of his touches were contested, so there's no excuse. 10 kicks, 9 handballs. 4 Clangers, most for West Coast. Awkward considering he also led our inside 50's with 7.

Shuey and ya boy Jamaines injuries :(
Re: Kelly - two of the four clangers were free kicks against and two were turnovers.

68% DE which isn’t great but not quite at a Brad Ebert 2009 level of shitness

Back