Review Positives and Negatives in the WIN over Sydney - Round 5, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s better lads.

Sydney are bad. No need to throw a parade, but a good mature win and did well to pull away. Season on line, playing a man down and we stood up.

Keep the season alive then come back to Perth for a few months. Fire up campaigners.

+ Waterman, Allen - keep them in for the year thanks Simmo
+ Naitanui needed to dominate a makeshift opposition ruck division, and dominate he did.
+ Angry Yeo is back
+ I have knocked Duggan’s mullet but if he keeps playing like that I will get one.

Didn’t get to watch the full game uninterrupted so will come back later to update some more nuanced thoughts, but for now I’m fired up. Have at it.

Jun 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man U,Glory,Wildcats
Positives

• Dry Track Bullies once again
  • Waterman
  • Allen
  • Duggan
  • Barrass much improved
  • Yeo playing with aggression
  • Nic Nat taking over the game
  • Back in the winners circle.

Negatives
  • Shuey and Jermaine Jones Hamstring injuries

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Allen, Waterman, and Jones really did week early while other were still warning up.

Duggan doing his best Waters impression with a nice hit and not getting beaten all day. Cole also super impressive, would love to know what changed. May have been a different role with Jetta out.

I might have to look until it a bit, but current theory is Darling's accuracy is good biggest strength and weakness in that he makes the most of minimal opportunities but then it isn't a huge gap to having no impact.

Negative is injuries and... Hurn. Didn't play awful today, but I think he is clinging on to the cliffs edge and could fall very quickly. Maybe being more lockdown while Duggan attacks a bit more is his role from here.

xInfected_Virus

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Richmond and Collingwood.
We were much better than the last three weeks, midfield showed a lot more fire and our mid to forward connection is better.

+ Positive
= Meh
- Negative

+Nic Nat dominating with his mostly unpredictable taps. We've badly exposed the Swans for not having another recognized ruckman on the list should some of their rucks go down. When there's a F50 stoppage, I like to see Nic Nat either bash it into space or grab it more.
+ Yeo: Got back to his mongrel best and fired the midfield up.
+ Allen: Provided another target up forward, should persist with him should he be alright.
+ Barrass: Been solid in defense and took that screamer.
+ JJ: Been a revelation since joining us, probably will be out for a few weeks with that hammy. Bring Cameron back if that's the case.

= JK: He did well in this game by bringing to ball to ground and competed well. Should've kicked at least two.

- Shuey's injury, hopefully he can get up to make our midfield even more stronger.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Oscar
+ Jakey
+ JJ (injury not included)
+ Angry Yeo and NN
+ Sheed, Cole and Duggan all had their best games for quite a while
+ Barrass's mark and the following play
+ The song

- Sloooow start, almost hilariously bad for most the first qtr
- Cripps and Darlings first halves were disgraceful
- injuries
- where the * has that intent been???

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Why has Brander been in the team ahead of Waterman until now?

Made no ******* sense and Waterman showed why. That massive goal on quarter time, and the epic chase, run down tackle, and shove into the ground for good measure. Three ******* votes right there.

Allen will be a star.

The Gov

McLovin' it
Jun 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
As long as it's not super long term, I'm weirdly unupset by Shuey's hammy. Our 22 has been overly settled with fringe players being arbitrarily rotated in and out, now we have Jetta getting dropped, our best mid going out for a little while and two young key forwards stepping up to put pressure on Kennedy and Darling to perform - 2018 saw Sheed come of age without Gaff and other players step up around the injuries and it made us a stronger side for it. Still think Shuey Jetta Kennedy Darling Hurn etc are part of our best side this year but it's important to shake the team up a little bit. Hopefully Kelly really steps up into his role in the next few weeks, feels like he's one dominant BOG game away from settling into the side properly.

Loved what Jake the Snake brought today - first player who's made me yell something positive at the TV in quite some time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
So glad we grabbed Allen. What vision in the draft. You just don't pass on pure key position talent. Extremely long term vision and I doubt we expected him to burst on the scene as he has, but gee, he is GOOD.

TK will announce himself by season's end. Tidy game today.

Looked like we tried Duggan on the wing a bit today, with Gaff going inside. Don't mind it. Gaff laid some excellent tackles, too.

Lots to like. Got something to build upon before we return to Perth.

Positive - first quarter looked ominous, boys worked into it second quarter and third quarter was the best we've played all year.

Intensity, connection and even some selfless blocking and supporting action.

Air Barrass :aubergine:

Negative - Darling still not right. His off the ball and second effort work is disgusting for a senior player.

Shuey Hammie :(

Jermaine Hammie :(

Adelaide looking like roadkill if Freo don't play them back into form so we have a really good chance to back up next week and return home with some wind in our sails.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast

Made no ******* sense and Waterman showed why. That massive goal on quarter time, and the epic chase, run down tackle, and shove into the ground for good measure. Three ******* votes right there.

Allen will be a star.

My only thought is that the club needs to start investing in Brander to either ensure he stays or to pump his tyres if he wants to be traded. Kid needs to develop, sure, but has never been above Waterman, who no doubt would never want to leave the club.

Allen out for Hickey last week was stupid, Allen should be in the side for his versatility alone. Can play anywhere.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
So what, if any, structural changes did we see?

Looked to me like Redden played virtually as a defender, and the half backs were much more willing to push up the ground offensively.
It looked like we changed the defense to press high in half way in the first and it greatly helped lock the ball in and get repeat entries. It was amazing how the switch flicked once the boys got confidence.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans

Allen will be a star.
Draft pick that's why

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Allen will be a star.

I completely agree, team always looks better with JW in the side. But the bigger question is once they picked Brander, why were they playing him on a wing?

If he has the tank and mobility to play wing as they believe, he couldve been playing the Waterman role of today in the past 3 rounds.

That's on the coaches not Brander

Remove this Banner Ad

Back