Review Positives and Negatives - Raining Premiers vs Adelaide

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
I'm curious, is Walker a giant toss pot? Seems to be some banter about this, I'm not in the know with other teams other than I know and hate Cox, who I think is overrated as well as a giant prick on field. Is Walker a mouthy, niggler blowhard like Cox?

He spent the whole game mouthing off at Schoey. His only contribution on the scoreboard was that he cost his side a goal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Walker was being cautious of a contacting the head Clash I reckon..

You have to be kidding right? Is this sarcasm?
Tex has a fairly long and well publicised history of shitting himself when he should be standing up. He was first to the ball, was down low and then heard footsteps and squibbed. There's no more to it than that.

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Tex has a fairly long and well publicised history of shitting himself when he should be standing up. He was first to the ball, was down low and then heard footsteps and squibbed. There's no more to it than that.

Actually think Hurn is a little lucky that Walker squibed it, because he was about to bump and could very well got him head high and had a week off

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari

There’s a crows fan on twitter arguing with me that Hurn pulled out of the contest too. There was no contest for him to pull out of after Tex peaced out.

Shannon Hurn doesn’t pull out of contests.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I see your point but I can also see it from Simmo's perspective.

We play possession football. If we are tackling a lot it means the opposition has the ball a lot. Add to that tackles often simply lead to stoppages (which we also have issues with) and I can see why he is more interested in pressure on the ball carrier to affect the kick and win the ball back that way.
Yeah maybe.

But when your side is getting smashed, it’d be nice not to also lose the tackle count 48-54 (vs Port Adelaide) and 59-65 (vs Geelong).

If the only stat/indicator the coaches are interested in is pressured kicks leading to intercept marks, then it’s no wonder we struggled in the scrappier slippery games.

Didn’t feel like we won that final quarter last night because of pressured kicks and intercepts - seemed all about the stoppages.

Anyway, good to see another facet to the team last night, hopefully it emboldens them to get their hands dirty more

Mick63

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
+ It is extremely hard to stop momentum in 2019 across the league. Most games are played in surges rather than ebbs and flows. The second quarter Adelaide had the momentum and stopping it (with the help of the break) was simply amazing by us. After we wrestled the ascendancy Adelaide couldn't stop it.

+ Our goalkicking was crucial. On numerous times we had set shots that simply had to be nailed (Cripps, Kennedy, Darling) and they iced them. It just kept the pressure right on Adelaide's defenders knowing that any mistake would be punished.

+ Vardy and Darling were brilliant. They responded well from poor outings against Melbourne.

+ We were so much cleaner with our quick handballs and in general play. Against Port and Geelong we were so bloody fumbly. Add in the mix it was wet in Adelaide, and a night game and MAYBE they have adapted? Time will tell.

+ This game was a sign from a seriously mature team. Premiership hangovers usually set in when the going gets really tough. The players have climbed the mountain, tasted the sweet fruit and when it is really up against them they crumble as they CBF working hard to get back into it. Watching them grind it out in the second half is a great sign.

- Hard on the lad but Petruccelle might be showing a few signs of season fatigue. Fluffed a few marking chances when rebounding from defence, a bit fumbly and just looked a little lost when the heat was on. He's probably got enough credits to right the ship next week by we will wait and see.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
+ It is extremely hard to stop momentum in 2019 across the league. Most games are played in surges rather than ebbs and flows. The second quarter Adelaide had the momentum and stopping it (with the help of the break) was simply amazing by us. After we wrestled the ascendancy Adelaide couldn't stop it.

+ Our goalkicking was crucial. On numerous times we had set shots that simply had to be nailed (Cripps, Kennedy, Darling) and they iced them. It just kept the pressure right on Adelaide's defenders knowing that any mistake would be punished.

+ Vardy and Darling were brilliant. They responded well from poor outings against Melbourne.

+ We were so much cleaner with our quick handballs and in general play. Against Port and Geelong we were so bloody fumbly. Add in the mix it was wet in Adelaide, and a night game and MAYBE they have adapted? Time will tell.

+ This game was a sign from a seriously mature team. Premiership hangovers usually set in when the going gets really tough. The players have climbed the mountain, tasted the sweet fruit and when it is really up against them they crumble as they CBF working hard to get back into it. Watching them grind it out in the second half is a great sign.

- Hard on the lad but Petruccelle might be showing a few signs of season fatigue. Fluffed a few marking chances when rebounding from defence, a bit fumbly and just looked a little lost when the heat was on. He's probably got enough credits to right the ship next week by we will wait and see.
The bye will do our kids good

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
You blokes are just too good. The best organisation in the league, and have said that for 25 years.

Class on every line.
Know when to bottom out and rebuild.
Beat a powerhouse Victorian side in a GF.

With the drug era well in the past, I just admire your club. Ok your captain grew up down the road from me, but yeh I wouldn’t be upset if bunga lifted the cup again (we certainly won’t be).

You blokes are just too good. The best organisation in the league, and have said that for 25 years.

Class on every line.
Know when to bottom out and rebuild.
Beat a powerhouse Victorian side in a GF.

With the drug era well in the past, I just admire your club. Ok your captain grew up down the road from me, but yeh I wouldn’t be upset if bunga lifted the cup again (we certainly won’t be).

Kudos and I like to think we share an eternal bond especially after what happened with Phil Walsh.

Hope we can provide many more years of lulz by beating Port in many more laughable and unlikely ways.

So the Roos are headhunting Simmo for 2022 with a big offer!!? Wonder how that will pan out?
Would he step down to a smaller suburban club after the Eagles new facilities and Optus?

I call bullshit on that

you don't bring in a caretaker coach for 3 years.

It may pan out they choose a coach who becomes shithouse and needs the sack after 3 years and the stars align for them - but you wouldn't be planning for it now.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
The flipside is that the best way to pressure the ball carrier is to try and tackle them. If teams work out that you aren't going to commit to a tackle, you're just trying to make them panic, they won't panic.

A few years ago I reckon they worked that out. We corral and didnt tackle and we suffered for it. Now we are committing and punishing the opposition with giod tackles.

Thankfully we worked that out eventually.

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
Great win in the end, that was vintage 2018 in the 2nd half, gave Crows no space to work and started working harder for longer ourselves, our work rate and pressure was the gold standard we set last year. Our best w.in this year

The frustrating part for me was the 2nd quarter when we went back to waiting for someone else to do it, has been a common problem this season, let's hope that is the last we have seen of that after the 2nd half. For those calling it melting, i call it passion for this club and knowing what we are capable of and wanting the best from this team, as that is what they can do when on.

For mine i would like to see them stick with Petch and Oscar, they are getting invaluable experience for the future when they are expected to step up.

Was a much better effort as well from Darling, constantly presented for the down the line kick and could not mark at least made sure it hit the ground.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
-ve: was at a conference so couldn't watch the game. Checked my phone and the AFL app said it was full time and we'd lost a close one by 10 points.

+ve: looked again two hours later after my mate messaged me saying "that was a season defining win". Glitch was fixed and I realised we'd won an epic!

-ve: victory beers got out of hand and now I'm hungover as Fck

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
A few points:

- Hurn's ability to squeeze out kicks of great distance on garbage angles around the boundary, in wet conditions no less, was something to behold. Most blokes find out on the full in countless situations he just cruises through. I'm delighted to see him get the recognition he deserves.

- I was watching the Cats game and the commentators were crapping on about how silly we were not to make a Kelly deal last year. Firstly, they got the details of the deal wrong (they thought we were refusing to flip second and thirds. Fools.) and secondly, I'll continue to take the pepsi challenge on Oscar Allen on that pick. That goal at the end of the night was a class act for anyone, let alone a baby. That bloke is going to be an absolute stalwart of the club for a generation and I'd say he'll be a captain too. I like Kelly and hope we can snare him next year, but the league's ability to continually let our good decisions fly under the radar is simultaneously wonderful and absurd.

- I thought Darling and Vardy both responded pretty well in conditions not made to suit - particularly Vardy. Great work lad.

- I'm not sure what game people were watching to criticise Nelson? He had a bloody good game for the role which was assigned. Bloke deserves props for coming in and not trying to wedge himself inappropriate in the mix by seeking glory and selection next week. A true club man's effort.

- Kennedy rarely looks flashy and is maturing into his footy twilight really well. He does the things he knows he's capable of better than anyone.

- Second quarter was dross - but it did let us have the sort of second half you build finals campaigns around. Akin to GWS a few years back and, actually, GWS last year. A real belief builder.

- Yeo is a man possessed right now. Some players go to water when they play angry. He's the opposite.

- Hutch has copped a bit of fair criticism lately, but it is interesting to note just how much Sloane went in and out of the game based on his tag. I think there was a philosophical question last night about whether you bother tagging in a slippery environment, but I thought he answered a few questions in his own game tonight. Still not sure what to do with him in coming weeks though.

- Most of all: how bloody pleasing to see a team win by playing against its own prototype. We rarely switched. We paddled the ball forward as appropriate in slippery conditions. We got our hands dirty. To Dylan82's pleasure I'm sure, I felt like there were times we were playing a straight up traditional press. Get the ball into the forward half by any means necessary and then apply the bloody clamps. This is, without question, the happiest I've been with the boys all year. Steely stuff.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
A few points:

- Hurn's ability to squeeze out kicks of great distance on garbage angles around the boundary, in wet conditions no less, was something to behold. Most blokes find out on the full in countless situations he just cruises through. I'm delighted to see him get the recognition he deserves.
It’s amazing hey. You always think he’s going to get smothered or spray it OOB but he almost always manages to at least kick to a 50/50 contest.

Love Hurn

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I call ******** on that
you don't bring in a caretaker coach for 3 years.
It may pan out they choose a coach who becomes shithouse and needs the sack after 3 years and the stars align for them - but you wouldn't be planning for it now.
If North are headhunting former North legends then why aren't they going for Longmire? Much more realistic target.
Yep, it's a long stretch and a big gamble..also who would sign up to be an interim coach, I guess it's possible, a chance to learn your craft-if you did ok you might get to further it elsewhere.
But it sounds like a fantasy. Should try Chris Scott, he seems to be doing okay! :oops:

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been said a few million times but two big positives stick out for me:
- nailing set shots
- sheed becoming a real goal kicking mid

And of course winning from 33pts down. Would love to see the stats as to how many teams win from that position

Back