Review Positives and Negatives - Raining Premiers vs Adelaide

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe it was my beer goggles, but I didn't notice Sloane part the seas the way Shuey does, several times a game - when he can shrug tackles, he looks for clear space to run, then hits the Turbo! Often spears to a chest, or a well-positioned lob to marking forwards, or a raking goal! Sloane not so much or not so often ...
Im talking overall as players.

Jeeves

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2008
In enemy territory.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Perth Wildcats
Props to big Vards.
Thought he played a cracking game but reading the comments on the game day thread you would have thought he was utter crap. Gave us plenty out of the ruck, contested hard and presented well, especially in the third and fourth quarters. Was by far his best game of the year.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Thought he played a cracking game but reading the comments on the game day thread you would have thought he was utter crap. Gave us plenty out of the ruck, contested hard and presented well, especially in the third and fourth quarters. Was by far his best game of the year.

Vardy basically picked against a nobody.

Did what he needed to do but still has a way to go.

With Hickey prob back and Naita not too far away Vardy needs to lift.

Jeeves

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2008
In enemy territory.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Perth Wildcats
Vardy basically picked against a nobody.

Did what he needed to do but still has a way to go.

With Hickey prob back and Naita not too far away Vardy needs to lift.
Agreed, but he did that last night. Still has a way to go but he was very good last night. I just watched a replay and he did a lot of good things.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
I actually think on the back of the "incident", I mean seriously, * the AFL media who love jumping on anything Eagles that's slightly off (I"m sure Basil toss pot Zempilas was on about the culture again), I think the coaching staff probably had a word to Vardy about his performance, his spot in the side and the responsibility that he's carrying after Hickey out and NN on the horizon but not here yet.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
You blokes are just too good. The best organisation in the league, and have said that for 25 years.

Class on every line.
Know when to bottom out and rebuild.
Beat a powerhouse Victorian side in a GF.

With the drug era well in the past, I just admire your club. Ok your captain grew up down the road from me, but yeh I wouldn’t be upset if bunga lifted the cup again (we certainly won’t be).

Nice to see someone outside WA thinks so.

Whilst I don't think the Crows will make the finals, I do think that there is a lot of promise. Your running ball skills were second to none yesterday and I thought your team really made us pay when we took the pressure off. I'm not too cluey on Adelaide, are you guys in a rebuilding phase, or at the end of a long potential finals stage with veterans?

Regardless, I thought your team was great to watch! Also, enjoyed the fact there was little malice between our sides, just hard clean football. I can't say the same when we play Power, who I've always considered to be a dirty-ish side.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Crows v Eagles games at AO seem to have had stages of huge power shifts.

2014: Crows kick the first 5 and then we claw back and win
2018: We control majority of the game but Crows turn it on in the last to win by 30
2019: Crows have dominant second qt and have a 33 point lead early in the third but we claw our way back to win by 2 goals.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Crows v Eagles games at AO seem to have had stages of huge power shifts.

2014: Crows kick the first 5 and then we claw back and win
2018: We control majority of the game but Crows turn it on in the last to win by 30
2019: Crows have dominant second qt and have a 33 point lead early in the third but we claw our way back to win by 2 goals.
Best memory against the Crows at AO was undoubtedly Round 23 2016 when Tom Barrass announced himself to the AFL world. Pretty sure he won the rising star nom after that game. Remember being so gassed up after NN's heroics against GWS the week before, to then knock off Adelaide away was such a huge moment.

Of course the finals didn't end well (thanks largely to the pre-finals bye), but we can gloss over that.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Best memory against the Crows at AO was undoubtedly Round 23 2016 when Tom Barrass announced himself to the AFL world. Pretty sure he won the rising star nom after that game. Remember being so gassed up after NN's heroics against GWS the week before, to then knock off Adelaide away was such a huge moment.

Of course the finals didn't end well (thanks largely to the pre-finals bye), but we can gloss over that.
Yeah that was a great game.

My favourite was 2014 as i was there and i was there with about 5 crows mates. I was getting absolute s**t after the crows kicked the first 5 (both mates and from the Crowd). Man walking out of that game after the final siren was incredible.

It was also the first time we saw our 2015 brand of footy being played. Gaffy had a break out game and just dominated the crows with like 35 touches and 3 goals. He was unstoppable.

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Only managed to watch the full replay this arvo but what a win.

+ Gaff played a great contested game. Threw himself into 50-50s with reckless abandon and really cracked in. Great to see

+ Thought Duggan was important without getting a heap of the ball. Seemed to be playing a specific role at times (particularly in the third quarter) receiving on the outside of stoppages which was interesting

+ Darling was huge in the last quarter. Crucial in providing an outlet to clear our defensive 50

+ Rioli had some crucial pressure acts in the last quarter. Will only get better with more games under his belt

+ Thought Nelson acquitted himself pretty well in his first game back. Very solid team role. Will be unlucky to lose his spot, although it’s hard to see that not happening

* Shuey, Yeo, Redden, JK, Hurn, Sheppard, Vardy all huge for reasons that I’m sure have been well documented

+ We continue to prove that we’re a hardened, mature and experienced side. We’re not going to get everything right all the time and we still have plenty of room for improvement. But we’re as good as anyone when our backs are against the wall

UpsideDown

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Most have been said but notably:

+ OAllens tap to himself and goal + that kick to JK on the lead. He got some smarts
+ Gaff getting back to his usual fill the hole and take intercepts and hitting targets
+ Laying hard bone crunching tackles with Yeoy leading the way
+ Commentary team was pleasant for once
+ Schoey's blind turn and dash of old + job on Tex

? Waterman, did ok with some leads but that's it
? Can we keep going this physically hard every game? The last two games have been intense. Don't want to burn out

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
You have to be kidding right? Is this sarcasm?
Tex has a fairly long and well publicised history of shitting himself when he should be standing up. He was first to the ball, was down low and then heard footsteps and squibbed. There's no more to it than that.

No I don’t think he squibbed because he was scared ..He was doing duty of care it’s so obvious by the way he pulled out of the bump ..
I don’t like Tex anymore than you do but that’s how I saw it with his body language..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
No I don’t think he squibbed because he was scared ..He was doing duty of care it’s so obvious by the way he pulled out of the bump ..
I don’t like Tex anymore than you do but that’s how I saw it with his body language..

That's laughable. For a start he wasn't going the bump he was going the ball. He was first to the ball and was down low. He was under.no obligation to do anything other than to keep his head over it.
Hurn was coming in for the bump for sure as he was second to the ball and fully expected Tex to pick it up. When Tex s**t himself and got.out of the way, leaving the ball behind Hurn changed his approach and picked up an uncontested ball.
It was a squib every day of the week.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
That's laughable. For a start he wasn't going the bump he was going the ball. He was first to the ball and was down low. He was under.no obligation to do anything other than to keep his head over it.
Hurn was coming in for the bump for sure as he was second to the ball and fully expected Tex to pick it up. When Tex **** himself and got.out of the way, leaving the ball behind Hurn changed his approach and picked up an uncontested ball.
It was a squib every day of the week.

Okay I’m not gonna try and change your mind as we do agree he squibbed but I’m saying duty of care and you say he was scared ..

A narrow minded person might just see what you have saw but I look at it differently , that’s fine to disagree with , so I’m leaving it at that ..

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Okay I’m not gonna try and change your mind as we do agree he squibbed but I’m saying duty of care and you say he was scared ..

A narrow minded person might just see what you have saw but I look at it differently , that’s fine to disagree with , so I’m leaving it at that ..

I'll call you narrow minded and leave it at that. OK.

West Coast 06

Premium Platinum
Jun 5, 2006
Home
AFL Club
West Coast

If a player is thinking “duty of care” in the middle of a hard contested match instead of “get the ball”, he shouldn’t be playing.
Let alone be captain....

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
If a player is thinking “duty of care” in the middle of a hard contested match instead of “get the ball”, he shouldn’t be playing.
Let alone be captain....

Ok I just think that this where the gray areas are rising now and players are second guessing the natural instincts to play the ball ..
Possibly TW just made a split second error in judgment and on the footage he comes in for the ball and thinks he’s going to hit high and pull his body out of the way suddenly upon realising this ..
Watch how he suddenly pulls away , to suggest he’s scared is B/s ..

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
+..Turned the telly on and theres Schoey full on getting in Tex's face.Thought ripper we are ON!!! Five possessions! Stats lie!
...Rioli's mark.What a grab;Degree of difficulty 10 out of 10.Im surprised people are'n't raving about it.I rate it close to Ryans last week.How was his one hand pickup at speed early in the 1st?
...Gaff's bravery under the high ball.
....I agree with earlier comments;Yo is the best footballer going around.The mans a beast!
...Allen got more and more confident as the game went on.
...Having called us as being the new Hawthorn and going B2B; at three quarter time my reputation was in tatters.
...Vardy has real presence around the packs.
...The tackling was tremendous.B.U.T we cant expect the same people to rack those numbers week in week out.That type of constant physicality can burn you out.OAllen needs to start getting his tackle count up and to make them stick more.If you cant get a kick get a tackle.
...JK is the consummate professional.
..What a win!

_...Sheed needs to take more responsibility with ball in hand.He breaks out on his left and handballs often to somebody in a worse position.Mate your a beautiful passer of the ball esp under pressure.KICK IT SON!!
...Surely Hurn must practise looking up the middle on kickouts?A 40m pass up the guts must be better value than constantly bombing 65m to a pack.
...We really must start lowering the eyes going forward.Stop bombing the ball.
...In relation to that somebody needs to get Petrol and show him how to stop and prop.Its not just about straight line speed.If he combines the two nobody will get close to him.
...We have got the best small forwards in the business.Lets start looking for them.When JK and JD are double and triple teamed;surely kicking to a Rioli or Ryan one on one is a no brainer?
...Pray that Yo or Shuey dont get injured.
'

Back