Autopsy Positives and Negatives - Round 7 vs Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Not quite sure where this undervaluing of defenders comes in, like defenders who are only back men are somehow not worthy? Or unless you make the leap from the backline to midfield you were just a guy that hit their ceiling.

Shep not being a mid is fantastic, because he’s one of the best defenders in the league and has been our best player this year.

Duggan not being a mid is fantastic, because he gives us drive off half back. Likewise Jetta, who set a lot up for us over the years as a surgical user of the footy off half back.

Not being a mid and therefore not being a threat is a very old school look at it. Our backline are the most pivotal part of our entire game style. I want more quality defenders, not less.

Didn't think the booing was that bad at the game. Especially only with half a crowd. Maybe the TV made it sound worse than it was.

It's waaaaaaay louder and more intense at the Eagles games.

Think the loudest they cracked the shits was when Ah Chee got tackled in our attacking 50 and it wasn't paid HTB, even though it definitely should've been.

Funniest moment and probably loudest the eagles fans chirped up was the Taberner goal line rundown. I literally got up out of my seat and started winding up every purple kent around me. Noticed a few other blue and gold supporters doing the same as well. Knew the game was on the bag at that moment :moustache:

Booing sounded loud on the TV and the commentators loved it. Brought it up every chance they could. Which was quite often because Gaff got a lot of it :moustache:

I didn't mind it at all, and it disappeared after three quarter time for some reason :moustache:

What I do mind is that our fans will be torn a new one when we unleash the boo next week, completely forgetting the derby. But that's OK, it won't stop us :cool:

Optimus Prime :whitecheck:

+ JK showing he's still got some fight left. Class shone through on a milestone night. Could've been 'UUUUUGE.

+ Thought Naitanui was very influential. 6 clearances continues his good form in this area. Shaded Darcy whilst playing 19% less game time.

+ Waterman proves once again that he belongs at AFL level. Love the fact he's getting more love, loved the fact he took a couple towering grabs in defense.

+ At the game my takeaway was that Nelson played good without being in our best. Looking at the stats after the game, he certainly deserved to be.

+ Yeo 14 contested, 7 clearances, 6 tackles. Kelly 11 contested, 5 clearances, 6 tackles 😍

Negatron :crossmark:

- Surprised it wasn't mentioned in the gameday thread. Duggan running passed Sheed after a free kick for a handball on his PREFERRED left foot, only to sky the ball to a Fremantle player on the wing. Damn near cost us a direct goal. SHOULD have cost us a direct goal had Fremantle not been so poor.

- I highlighted before the game that Kennedy's radar is a concern, having kicked 1 goal from his last 7 attempts, and he didn't really alleviate that concern. Glad he's bagged 4 snags, but that's 5 goals from his last 15 attempts now by my count. With us playing average, we really need that scoreboard pressure.

- Still waiting for Hurn and Darling to "click". There's signs, but we need them to lift if we're going to knock over some actual quality teams this year.

- Ryan and Cameron were quiet. Ainsworth ineffective.

:think:

Personally i think we need Jetta in this team. Nice as it is to see Cole, Nelson and Duggan playing decent footy i don't think we can win a flag without the champagne attacking football that Jetta can bring with his kicking. Got a feeling this will take a few games before the MC realizes, but it'll happen.

With Hurn lacking creativity in his game right now, we're quickly running out of attacking options with our ball movement.

Shuey and Sheed are the only other players who can take the penetrating attacking kick. Against a good defense we'll resort to "bomb it long" once more.
Re Jetta......don't you find it odd that, since he was dropped, he hasn't even made the extended team list for the two games?

I love booing at the football. Creates atmosphere. They were booing every free kick, gaffs every touch, Nic Nat once early, any time Margetts threw it up 🤣.... It’s a part of the spectacle. I’m not offended by it. It’s not disgusting. It’s not unsportsmanlike. It’s ducking funny however as all they ever say is we boo everything 🤣🤣🤣

Some players play better when they know they are not untouchable.

Sorry, but that's just a throwaway line unless you have some sort of evidence that Allen and Waterman have been proven to be like that. For almost all the very best players we'll never know where they might fit into that scheme as they never get dropped, even if they have a few quiet games. Maybe Josh Kennedy could have had a 100 goal season if we'd strategically dropped him at some point or maybe Yeo/Shuey/Gaff could have been Brownlow medallists if we'd given them a kick up the arse by dropping them occasionally?

Re Jetta......don't you find it odd that, since he was dropped, he hasn't even made the extended team list for the two games?

After listening to Vozzo on radio say something like "There are some older players who struggled being in the hub due to family, due to change of routine, having to change their pre game and weekly routines they've been used to for a decade, and also due to cultural reasons, given we have a lot of indigenous players.."

Makes me think Jetta could potentially tick every one of those boxes and could've been a player who really struggled being in the hub.

Vozzo also went on to say that if we hubbed again, there would be some older players we wouldn't even bother bringing over, due to how much they struggled the first time. Presuming that'd be the JK, Hurn and Jetta variety, but who knows.

As to why Jetta hasn't been in the emergency's... that's a bloody good question. Something tells me they're just giving him a break.

It's not like he "Needs to find some form" because the scrimmages are a basket case, and can hardly be used as a measuring stick for form.

Schofield played midfield in the last scrimmage, Jamieson played on a wing :shrug:

Give it a handful of games and Jetta will be back i reckon. This will surely be his last season, and there's what.. 11 rounds left?

Negative: We're playing chip kick and slowing down play too often. We need to attack harder and run in waves more often off HB.
Have to agree. Getting tiresome tbh

Booing sounded loud on the TV and the commentators loved it. Brought it up every chance they could. Which was quite often because Gaff got a lot of it :moustache:

I didn't mind it at all, and it disappeared after three quarter time for some reason :moustache:

What I do mind is that our fans will be torn a new one when we unleash the boo next week, completely forgetting the derby. But that's OK, it won't stop us :cool:
Yeah this.

I didn't mind it - was just very noticeable.

Add 20% and our scores are 95, 55, 53, 49, 92, 80, 74. Proportionally speaking they're still not great and this is league wide.
A lot of goals in a normal season are at the end of quarters in "junk time" when the players are tiring. I'm not surprised scores are more than 20% lower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Waterman especially take the game on more with his kicks inside 50.
Stops and props...most of the better options gone by the time he kicks it.
Back yaself lad.
Yeah most of our forwards do the same. JK and JD are big culprits of not turning around and moving it on if we’ve broken away and a mark has been taken in space. Always wait for everyone to flood back even when the ball is on our half forward then hack it long to a crowded goal square.

If one of them has the ball up the ground then the other should be one out in the 50 (assuming everyone else is doing their job and either blocking to create space or drawing their man away from the key forward).

We played well and JK should've at least had seven. I'm still worried about strong marking oppo forwards, Dixon killed us when we were playing Port and Tabernar and Lobb looked like gods when Freo had consistent F50 entries. Our defense has been decent this season and Cole and Duggan have been good but one may have to make way for Schoey to play on those strong marking types soon thus freeing up Gov and Barrass.

Treat yourself to the game day thread instead. Got through 10 pages and there was a complaint about an umpiring call every other post (not even exaggerating). Other notable mentions: Darcy is the best young ruck in the comp and “9 of their best 18 missing” was brought up countless times (which is fair to a certain extent I guess but I think most people were aware of it and it was constantly brought up as an excuse).
60% of their 9 best 18 missing are just as ordinary as their replacements.

Still need to get the balance right up forward.

The three-tall-attack is working, but the smalls and mediums aren't clicking as a unit; Cripps, Ryan, Ah Chee & Cameron.

They are all working hard, just can’t find it ATM

We are the only supporters who constantly boo or it’s only offensive when we do it. Pick the lie you want to go with

Freo have kicked a total of 7 goals in their last 2 home derbies

I don't mind the ball retention strategy, but those three consecutive handballs backwards in our defensive 50 was very annoying.

Admittedly that might be exactly what the article discussing poor game vision detracting from the understanding of the game tactics might have been about, as we at home has no idea what offensive kicking options lay ahead. But there must have been something. And handballing further into defence under no pressure is a poor ball retention strategy in itself.

The balance is not right ATM
It crept more and more into our games last season..now it’s just the default option

We flicked the switch against Adelaide from the 2nd quarter onwards to play more flowing football, best footy we played in 2020.

We've been receeding slowly.

+ JD playing with a bit of campaigner for the first time this year.

If the guy could just get that anger going consistently he'd be the best player in the game. He forgets that's he's pretty much the strongest bloke on the ground and can bully anyone when he wants. He'll walk through a pack of 4 players hanging off him when he's in the zone, just gotta figure out how to get him engaged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back