Review Positives and Negatives - UP THE BLOODY COASTERS EDITION - Rd 13

Remove this Banner Ad

The perpetual shitcanning of our recruiters probably needs a rest for a little while. What an absolute bloody steal.
Hedwards in the rookie draft. Ledwards in the 50s. Keep pumping games into them and that’s how you can make up for giving away early picks.

On cloud 9

+'s:

- Obviously the win. Been a long time since the boys made me feel like this. Probably since 2018. More please.
- Nic Nat. Dominated. Absolutely glorious to watch.
- Luke Edwards. Please don't drop him MC. Kid is a gun. So composed and so polished. Must stay in.
-Harry Edwards. Strong 1v1 but also has some tidy disposal. He started that play at the end that resulted in Kennedy's shot on goal. Brilliant spot up. (Would actually drop Rotham before Harry. Let Gov play 3rd tall and have Harry and Barrass play FB and CHB.)
- Barrass. Some game saving marks through out the game and particularly the last quarter.
- Hurn, just brilliant, particularly in the last quarter. Has taken a while to get back into form since returning v GWS, but my god the old boy still has it.
- JK. No need to elaborate, one of our all time greats. God.
- Redden, particularly in the first half, won't receive tonnes of plaudits but he was massive
- Foley. Looks a real player. Would keep him over Nelson if I'm being real.
- Yeo. Still not back to his best but God he's a beast and makes such a difference to the contested ball. Will only get better and better.

-'s:

- Langdon. Stats say he did ok, but my eyes tell me otherwise. Not an AFL player and never will be.
- Nelson. Thought he'd turn into a solid role player last year, but he's regressed. Prefer Foley and Witherden over him now. Good back up.
-Waterman. Solid player and kicked a good goal, but he's surplus to needs structurally. Good back up, but please stop trying to shoe horn him into the side.
- Gaff. Miles off the pace. Hopefully the bye does him good and we can play him in his preferred wing position once the cavalry returns.
- Darling. Been pretty bad the last few weeks and tonight was the worst yet. Hope the break does him well, cause he was dominant a month ago.

Great win. Hopefully this galvanises the group and reminds them how damn good winning feels. Gives us some solid momentum going into the back half of the season and hopefully we can get some troops back sooner rather than later.

Glorious stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread or should be merged with the SEASON ALIVE. UP THE ****** COASTERS thread. I'll just post this though.

Positives +

+ JK winding back the clock, beat Balta on the lead and acted like an extra midfielder. Masterstroke to rest him against Carltank. EPIC CLUTCH GOAL NEAR THE END.
+ Nic Nat was good in the ruck and played like an extra mid. 20 disposals in 72% TOG, that goal early on was epic and set the tone early on.
+ Yeo starting to find form, back to angry Yeo. Was huge in the middle and gave us a clearance tackling bull that we've sorely been lacking.
+ Bunga returning to AA form, was huge in his intercept marking, rebounding and took that match saving mark. EPIC CLUTCH MARK AT THE VERY END.
+ Barrass was great in the air and shut down Riewoldt as the game went on. Also outmarked Riewoldt on the wing especially in the fourth quarter.
+ H. Edwards was great in defense, helped killed contests and his composure was excellent. Used the footy well.
+ Foley looked composed and showed attacking flair in defense. Shown that he's AFL standard.
+ Duggan back gave us some extra defensive rebound and was solid when in the middle.
+ L.Edwards looking composed and got to the right positions, looking like a gem. Some of his disposals aren't as clean but that will soon be cleaned up with more games.
+ Redden was great in close and worked hard around the ground especially down back when Richmond have momentum.
+ Jones was great with his pressure, tackling and his marking improved.
+ Ryan showed composure, class and polish. Competed well in the air bringing the ball to ground and competed well on ground level too. Beaten a bigger Broad on the one on one contest which he won it at ground level which led to JK's winning goal.
+ Waterman clutched those two much needed goals. I questioned him coming in for Petch but even though he didn't do much, those two match winning goals are enough to put him in my positive category.
+ Cripps tacked well and worked hard. Set shot getting much better now as he's now getting the ones he normally misses.
+ Even with them on contested possessions.
+ Won without Shuey, Kelly and Gov. Add W.Rioli too.
+ Beat them in clearances too.
+ Accuracy allowed us to win.

Meh =

= Sheed and Gaff were alright but they didn't impose themselves tonight.
= Rotham was decent as well but lacked discipline. Should've went for the spoil against CCJ.
= Cole tried his heart out but just didn't seem to have that flair.
= Not sure what Nelson is doing.
= Langdon also tries hard but lacked class and polish.

Negatives -

-
Darling shut down again by a smaller Vlaustin. Been out of form for the past three weeks. Got out marked by Vlaustin. Should've kicked a bag especially with Astbury out and their other talls focusing on JK, Allen and Ryan.
- Tackling still down. They had more disposals than us but we're still -12 in tackles.
- They killed us on the rebound, once the footy is out of our F50, they sore with ease. It's been happening continuously for the past few weeks.
- They still got repeat entries when they have the momentum.

Final Thoughts.

EXCELLENT WIN and we played with heart and character. Hurn and Yeo set the higher standards for the team and our players increased the intensity. JK back winding the clock and kicking the match winning goal, Hurn back to AA form and took the match saving mark. Really happy for this win and now we should get our gun players back after the bye.

What an absolutely fantastic victory. It cannot be understated how important this win is in the context of our season. Beating a near full strength Richmond (who had all their players in the middle apart from Prestia) while missing half our midfield, without our CHB and best small defender, down by 22 points at 3 quarter time (but I thought we were incapable of standing up?), we come back and beat the reigning premiers at the death. This is the best win we’ve had since 2018, and this also means those *ers move further away from the top 4. They’re far from being out of the premiership race, but this victory makes it that much harder.

And now we should get our entire midfield back in time to face the Dogs.

Nic Naitanui deserves special mention as well. If he keeps this form up, he’ll probably get another AA jumper.

Last edited:
Valkyrie. My beautiful brave warrior daughter who is 11, recovering from an open heart surgery, was discharged from hospital today at roughly half time in this game. I got home from PCH with WCE a mess half way through the final quarter. I knew we had this. Warrior blood was all over it.
Good to hear she's on the mend mate

+
Bit of anger
Luke & Harry Edwards
Yeo building
Accuracy
Nic Nat

-
Jackson Nelson
Darling effort was weirdly down
Tom Cole purely in the team because of injuries

Merging most of the new threads so future generations can have a shrine to the board at their finest.

Positives and Negatives, where does this rank in H+A wins discussion, general UTBC vibes. All here.

Go off, kings and queens of the big game.

Honestly JK… I have no words. I’ll be a mess when he retires 😭, not ashamed to admit that. Absolute champion and hopefully we can continue to ‘manage’ him in the back of the year.

Nic absolutely amazing. Yeo… the difference he makes is so clear.
+1 to the praise of Edwards x2 and Foley. Fantastic for them to experience the finals like intensity and they all showed some brilliant signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full post to come tomorrow, but JK wasn't just kicking goals, he chased hard, harrassed, tackled and just stood up in general play.

Yeo's last quarter = 10 touches, 6 clearances (4 centre clearances), 6 inside 50s, 3 frees for, 1 goal assist.

Jk, Redden, Naitanui and Hurn did a mountain of work all game. Redden's game (outside of 3 very poor kicks) was outstanding, his running power was huge. 12 marks, always providingn an option despite also being our best clearance player.

Darling got towelled up, 2 quiet weeks lead to this horrible game, hopefully the break does him well.

+ Luke Edwards. Kid can play, we need to find a way to keep getting games into him. Need to fast track this kid.

+ Luke Foley. Was huge tonight, composed with the ball and some really good marks. Very impressed with his game.

+Redden. Slogging it out all year.

+ J.K turned back the clock yet again to lead us home.

+ Nic Nat. Was huge and took the ball out of the centre as much as he could. Set us up in the first half.

+ Yeo. Quiet early on but has a huge last quarter and bulldozed his way through for us.

+Hurn and Barrass. Some epic efforts in the last.

+ No injuries as far as I know.

+ Two weeks before we play again which gives us time to get a few more back and we go into the Dogs game healthy and rested.

+Game plan. Less switching and corralling and more movement with the ball through the middle and play on and getting numbers to the contest to impact the loose ball. More of this in the second half please.

+ Crowd. So jealous being stuck in VIC. You lot were huge in the last, take a bow, the boys lifted with you.

+ Eat s**t VFL. Tried to stitch us up moving the game forward, did us a Huuuuugggge favour in the end. 😂

- Darling was quiet but was manhandled all game. Just wish he had been able to not get frustrated, when he does the whinging starts and the focus goes.

- Langdon. Look he’s filled a hole and played his part the best he could but he’s a long way behind Ryan, Rioli, Cripps, Jones & Petch. I’d even argue if he gets his body right you can Chuck Cameron in there as well. Tries his heart out but just doesn’t offer much for me.

That’s it. Can’t think of too many negatives after a bloody epic win like that. Still pinching myself how good it was.

Cheers mate. Dusty wasn’t really “Dusty” today but still bobs up consistently when it counted. Thought he’d break my heart at the end. Bolton doesn’t miss those first half snaps too many times either. Ripping game 👍
Yeah we have a very strange night with alot of our players well and truly not playing to their level
all 3 of our small fowards were extremely bad and uninfluential defence also just looked off all night except Vlastuin and Houli
Just not the night but the eagles played very well and 4 quarters which is usually our game

+s
So goddamn many.

JK playing like a mid for half the game, breaking tackles in the centre square for fun then kicking that absolute clutch goal. Legendary.

Can't believe we got LEdwards at pick 54. Absolute gun.

HEdwards and Foley both look like excellent players. Incredibly solid.

Barrass taking multiple massive pack intercepts in the last.

So good to have Yeo back - his intensity is contageous

Nic Nat. Chol did give him some trouble early but he turned it on when it mattered. (Also great goal)

-s

Darling had a stinker but was theonly target a lot of the time. Wouldn't mind seeing him sent in to ruck a centre bounce or two when he can't get into a game. Would be interesting and let us keep Allen forward.

Detroit Bad Boys strategy. Foul relentlessly knowing it eventually moves the curve, and that the refs don’t want to call everything. Builds pressure.

Team drilled in holding on to prevent runners and to hit late surprised they give away the second most frees in football.

Don't worry, Jordan gets in the gym this off season and...

Well you campaigners all know what happens next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back