Autopsy Positives and Negatives v Adelaide RND 6 2020

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Tackled with arm pinged and brought to ground and tackled and arms pinged should require opportunity prior to being tackled.

In the past the AFL just let players take two three steps and be dispossessed and call play on. They’ve swung from one extreme to another and are inconsistent at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is so, in another game Tigers players just throw it away
Each game had its own set of rules - inovative or incompetrant?

Brilliance is all about timing, you have to know when to hold and know when to run.

Looking forward to seeing our two power forwards come finals time:

Jack Rogers and Kenny Darling.

Gwaihir

Senior List
May 20, 2018
Heartland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wizards
When Shuey comes back just stick him HFF and sometimes rotating mid. The sheed role. We seem to function better and hold other mid accountable when he is not around.
I agree with that suggestion for Shuey. With his playmaking and skills kicking i50, he seems our best equipped midfielder for the role. Problem is, by handing him the captaincy (richly deserved), it will be hard for him to stay out on a flank. He will want to be everywhere, leading from the front, as he showed getting battered against Gold Coast. The best combinations are still revealing themselves and rotating him in and out will save him for the big moments that matter.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree with that suggestion for Shuey. With his playmaking and skills kicking i50, he seems our best equipped midfielder for the role. Problem is, by handing him the captaincy (richly deserved), it will be hard for him to stay out on a flank. He will want to be everywhere, leading from the front, as he showed getting battered against Gold Coast. The best combinations are still revealing themselves and rotating him in and out will save him for the big moments that matter.

He’s the best suited to play hff unlike our other mids. We still need him getting time on the ball but he should be like cuz in 06 where he starts hff then goes into the middle. I Personally think he could be a goal a game player.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
With no Brander we have that extra flexibility to have Shuey rotate from the HHF - Wing- Centre if needed. Kelly can also do that which is going to be super handy going forward if they are getting tagged. With Brander in the side he could ONLY play as a wingman and it hurt our flexibility.

Mid Role rotations:

WING: Gaff, Redden, Shuey, Kelly
CENTRE: Redden, Shuey, Gaff, Kelly, Yeo, Sheed, Ah Chee
HFF: Shuey, Kelly, Ah Chee

With that we can give solid minutes to players like Redden and Sheed who should always be playing most of their minutes in the guts.

Sammy J

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
The Coleman medal leader has 13 goals. After 6 rounds. Scoring is well down and majority of big forwards have struggled some. One decent bag and either of them are back amongst the top, they’re building.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
With no Brander we have that extra flexibility to have Shuey rotate from the HHF - Wing- Centre if needed. Kelly can also do that which is going to be super handy going forward if they are getting tagged. With Brander in the side he could ONLY play as a wingman and it hurt our flexibility.

Mid Role rotations:

WING: Gaff, Redden, Shuey, Kelly
CENTRE: Redden, Shuey, Gaff, Kelly, Yeo, Sheed, Ah Chee
HFF: Shuey, Kelly, Ah Chee

With that we can give solid minutes to players like Redden and Sheed who should always be playing most of their minutes in the guts.

I think you can add Yeo to the HFF and wing rotations. (naturally Sheed will play some time there also - but agree with your point that he is better suited at the coalface).

Imagine having to be a hbf standing Yeo - he's fast, can take a good grab and is a long kick (and can kick on both feet). Are you going to take your best or 2nd best small off Cripps or Ryan - or one of your talls off Kennedy or Darling? Or does he get the 5th or 6th choice defender (or the ability to take a midfield tagger forward if the opposition chose that option).

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Pos- Doesnt a confident Barass make a huge difference down back
-Ainsworth was quite serviceable.Looks very fit.
-Sheed and Reddan firing makes it a lot easier for everyone.
-Sorry guys but im in the "JK was quite serviceable" camp.In the days he dominated we were very JK centric.
-Ryans save was sheer desperation.JD ran off celebrating like a soccer player.He came back eventually but it should have been the FIRST thing he did!
Negs- Ill stick by my stand that Waterman is not quite A grade.Complete lack of awareness.To top it off he nearly did it twice.
- Duggan; i love ya to bits mate but for f##cks sake i dont need constant reminding how far you can kick.Lower your eyes!
-Nelson needs to use his left foot more.A good left is a weapon!If your not a great mark,not overly quick then going either way can more than compensate ask S.Mitchell.
- There seems to be a marked reluctance to short kick sideways esp going forward.

-Finally a question.Watching multiple games weekly i see a player with the ball in hand looking upfield.Three teammates lead and converge on the same spot 35-45 mtrs away and all stop because they are all in each others way.The player waiting to kick looks and bombs 50-60 to a pack.
-Alright TWO questions.
A Why kick to a pack where you are outnumbered coz three of you are 20m away.
B The three players may have stopped leading but there are three!! of them .Why not plonk it in the middle of them? Seems so logical.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Getting out of the hub 3-3 despite playing some really poor football is a big positive. Yes, wins over Sydney and Adelaide are not exactly pop the champagne territory but ladder pressure is the season-long equivalent of scoreboard pressure and that's what we are giving to teams in the bottom half of the 8 at the moment. If we can string a few wins together back at home, we can start putting that pressure on teams in the top four and who knows from there. The obvious flip side of that is if we can continue to play this middle of the road football, we could easily slip to something like 4-7 and the season is over at that point.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
We're dangerously close to starting to fire.

The risk is that's how we looked for 22 rounds last year.
We’re a long way off even last year’s form. Something drastic is going to have to change now that we’re back in WA or we’ll be joining the three teams we’ve beaten at the bottom of the ladder.

Our standards have dropped so far that we consider that game against Adelaide to be an improvement. If we dished that up during the last few years there would have been epic melts on this board.

We should know within the first half this weekend whether this was all just hub related malaise

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
We’re a long way off even last year’s form. Something drastic is going to have to change now that we’re back in WA or we’ll be joining the three teams we’ve beaten at the bottom of the ladder.

Our standards have dropped so far that we consider that game against Adelaide to be an improvement. If we dished that up during the last few years there would have been epic melts on this board.

We should know within the first half this weekend whether this was all just hub related malaise
I'm putting it down to training disruption from COVID. The media floated the theory that system based teams like us and Richmond suffered the most by not being able to train in large groups, which I think is a plausible explanation. The great thing with the last two weeks, is we have seen the team play well in patches. We know from last year, when we regularly saw the same thing, that we need to find consistency or we won't be able to compete with the top echelon. The next few weeks are perfect for us to build into that, playing Freo that is about the same level as us currently, then two games against in-form teams.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

That's a fair assessment, but we don't have to beat teams from last year. We need to be the 2020 version of those clubs and every single club has it's issues this season.

In the first 3 games we were well behind the rest of the competition. I think we have closed that gap and our football is comparable to other clubs. We are in it just as much as any of the other 17 clubs.

When I watch us play, I sometimes become concerned with our form, then I watch all the other games and realise that every club is off the mark, and our form over the last 2 weeks doesn't seem that bad.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea

I think the most important thing for me is the intensity we’re bringing and the dominance out of the middle. Adelaide and Sydney are garbage but still have some very clearance mids who bully our guys every other time we play them. If we brought this intensity from the beginning of the restart we’d at least have one more win under our belt.

The next 2 weeks will show us where we’re truly at but if forward efficiency is our only issue (every team is having these problems due to the split training) we’ll be in the top 4 in no time.

The only teams doing well are the ones that don’t have a full system in place from front to back. The ones that run and gun from the backline and just pick the first option inside 50.

Our gameplan is timed from the moment the ball leaves the back and there’s always a setup for one of our key forwards to receive the ball (blocking for space etc) and almost always a pecking order of who we’re trying to kick to, rather than just the first option that presents. We try to “walk it into the net” by hitting up our best set shot takers rather than have 5 options to kick to and ride our luck with small forwards and mids having shots from 40. It sounds predictable but works perfectly when you’re able to train it properly from backline to forward line.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

Now this should be taken with a grain of salt as it is from the Fox Footy coverage (I have no idea where there stats are from, but am assuming CD or another reliable source) - but the turnaround in our pressure from rounds 2/3/4 and Q1 round 5 to Q2/3/4 and also Round 6 was noticible.

We were at a low rating - then switched to a very high rating. It was also interesting to note that the Swans were putting out an 'average' rating for that match - but Adelaide were also in the 'very high' rating (which possibly improves the result if it was a higher pressure game).

Of course our finishing and connection (i.e. work with the ball) need to improve - but there is no doubt in my mind that the turnaround was due to the mental application of the players and them working harder to stop the opposition.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we got a "good guy" MRP look the other away discount on Kennedy's crude tackle on Will Hamill. Swinging arm and high contact!

When it happened I thought, oh oooo, that looks pretty average. And they didn't even list it as 'looked at'!

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

I think there was 1 game last year where we looked like 2018 coasters. It was the first grand final replay at MCG when we towled Collingwood.

Moved them ball really well, hit targets, clunked pack marks and scored highly.

Since that game I can't recall the team firing the same.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Now this should be taken with a grain of salt as it is from the Fox Footy coverage (I have no idea where there stats are from, but am assuming CD or another reliable source) - but the turnaround in our pressure from rounds 2/3/4 and Q1 round 5 to Q2/3/4 and also Round 6 was noticible.

We were at a low rating - then switched to a very high rating. It was also interesting to note that the Swans were putting out an 'average' rating for that match - but Adelaide were also in the 'very high' rating (which possibly improves the result if it was a higher pressure game).

Of course our finishing and connection (i.e. work with the ball) need to improve - but there is no doubt in my mind that the turnaround was due to the mental application of the players and them working harder to stop the opposition.

The difference in pressure application in the two most recent matches is due to the tactical shift towards pressing higher up the ground, whereas prior to that the club were allowing opponents to exit out of defensive 50 with ease.

In two weeks with that revised system in place the club has gone from outright worst to near best in the competition for the amount of pressure applied upon the opposition.

Back