Positives and Negatives vs 5,480

Remove this Banner Ad

Magnificent game, really put Essendon in the rearview mirror and never looked back.

+Chris "Jubilation and Joy" Masten - 21 disposals, 6 contested possessions, 8 marks at a very solid 91% disposal efficiency.
+Ryan and his sprint efforts, this bloke bleeds the colours now. Just gives it everything each week.
+Jetta - Is there a more beautiful kick of the ball? just sublime, and so relaxed at all times
+Shuey - Beast mode game from him, back to his best after the few weeks. Unreal
+Redden - Tackled his heart out and got 30 possessions, and got niggly too. We are in desperate need of that in finals, he loves it.
+Nic Nat - We scored 42 points from centre clearances, the second most of any team this year. 120kg of 24 carat gold
+Gaff - 34 disposals @ 70%, just gets it done. A magnificent winger
+Kennedy and Darling Combo firing, small forwards up their tailpipe as well. Very nice
+The entire backline: Hurn's best game in weeks, Schofield will lead us to the promised land, Barass was very solid and Sheppard is just such a champion

+/- Jackson Nelson - Hard to criticise such a young player but he got caught holding a fair bit, but at the same time he gives it 100% and just never quits. I remember Shuey being pinged holding the ball 4 times in his first final. Look at him now
+/- Yeo never really got into the game, he wasn't a massive tackling beast like he usually is, although I noticed he tagged stringer pretty hard when he went to the centre. Probably just being moved around a lot. His games are sometimes hard to judge due to his versatility and Simmos tactics.

- Maybe Dom Sheed? Thought he was a little down and 51% DE isn't great. He's a much better user than that, disappointing game imo.

Great game all round though, hard to be critical when things pan out like that. Looking forward to next week, hopefully we came out of that unscathed.

He’s not going to win any votes - but 3 times I saw Masten fight hard under a high ball and halve the contest

I don’t reckon I’ve seen him do that kn the last 100 games. Jetta did the same a couple of times

There was some desperation out there tonight

a tweet honeybadger would appreciate.

42a613c536efeb25d1c16ae2c439d897.gif

In such a generally all round kick arse performance I can see why Nelson is getting some heat.

I still reckon he had a good game. Very solid second half. I expect someone had a chat to him at half time about not trying to do it all by himself.

Hope he is OK to play next week after the head clash. He will be better for popping his finals cherry.

+ Jetta’s kicking, poetry in motion.
+ JK just doing the usual JK things, and will shut up a few fools around here for another week. Likewise Barrass.
+ NN, beast.
+ good all round team performance.

- I wanted Waterman out for Cameron, I take it back. Very happy with his efforts and link up.
- Nelson getting some stick, got caught with his pants down a few times yes... but worked pretty hard and was on Tippa most of the night and he only got off the chain when Nelson got his block knocked off. Did a good job I thought.

Where are the posters that come here to whinge, vent, s**t on the team when things don’t go as planned? Why can’t the time be taken to congratulate the team on a very good finals win? It takes the same time it takes to come on and be negative doesn’t it?

Positive: nowhere to be ******* seen

Last edited:
Wow! Thats the finals footy mode we wanted to see, finally! They still got it.
Great game Eagles. Will be watching again asap.
Now what was all the talk about JK being past it, too old, out of form blah-blah?
And the relentless poster on Waterman needing to be removed-replaced, that went well.
We live to fight again!

I usually yell at the tv when Nelson gets done holding the ball but both times he was unlucky there wasn't much he could do. He should play next week.

Masten is surprising me. That contest on our half forward where he neutralised the ball against a bigger opponent was great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were the Eagles of 2018, the run last night , the pressure, the hunt, it is what we have been waiting to see all year for longer periods in the game, other than a 5 min burst in the 2nd the Bombers were never in that game.

For me us winning relies more on our forward line than anything else, when they are switched on and pressuring like crazy, it just makes life so much easier for our back line, most teams like to set up of half back now, we stopped that last night and basically the Bombers had nothing else, and played it exactly how we wanted it bombing long.

Schofield- Showed last night how important he is to the team structure, Barrass looked so much more self assured with Will out there.
Jetta, Ryan and Rioli- the foot skills and the ability of these three to do things others can't is second to none, their footy brains are on another plane to everyone else.
Nic- such a shame we only see him in short bursts, imagine the damage he could do if he could play longer game time, just makes an amazing difference to our midfield.
Hickey did not have the best game, but he has pretty decent all year, and Nic can not ruck on his own so we have to have him in the team, cannot afford to have Oscar ruck against against the Cats or Pies ruck next week, so Hickey has to stay.
Yeo was slightly off last night, just means he will come out firing next week. Rarely plays two like that in a row.

Probably the only thing that bugged me last night was a couple of times we burned team mates running into goal, a bit of hungry hippo about them at times.

Great win by the boys put away Essendon early and cruised to an easy win. Like our chances next week against a banged up Collingwood or Geelong who are gonna play in the wet. Nicnat back lifts the whole team and the midfield especially shuey. Lewis Jetta was electric as well as Rioli who was silky. Schofield back in defence is the glue that holds us together their. Thought Redden really lifted like he did in last years finals. Cripps also played a cracker of a game. Onwards and upwards to the MCG next week, gonna be fun

Positives:

We won and are still alive

8 day break

Nicnat hit the ground running..
JK found his mojo
Gaff Mr Reliable always running and linking up the play
Jetta my best on ground he was really leading the backline rebounds and setting up plays ..
Willie and Liam that is some flair running around the fwdline and if they don’t get you then Cripps will wreck havoc..
Barrass had a good game
Shuey celebrated his 200th in style ..
Plenty of positives missed ..

Negative

The report on Nicnat

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely we cant have our mids ruck to Hickey. Was putrid in the ruck.

Nelson's cost us two goals when he got caught htb twice. Brought Essendon back into the game. Learning experience for him, he'll be spoken to to not do too much. Love the effort and intensity though. Back him in next week.

Overall still feel we didn't get enough numbers around the contest. Especially early in the game when it mattered. We'll be exposed by better teams if we keep allowing it to occur.

Looks like a great win. I haven't been able to watch the game yet but will get to it on the weekend (bloody Thursday fixture).

The positive for me is we still have plenty of room for improvement.

Richmond and Hawthorn exposed some flaws in our game which Simmo addressed. Even Essendon for a few minutes here and there exposed us.

We will get better each week and hopefully we can go all the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back