Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

+ Plenty crows fans being dusty af about tyson edwards wearing eagles stuff to watch luke

West was very good. Did he play pure mid? I would have kept him there so he racks up > 25 possession. His Wafl form leaps frogs everyone to be the #1 mid. Neck and Neck with edwards given he had >27 possession one time.

Positives

I was actually happy with McGovern's game - seemed to have a much better attitude today, less undisciplined, and improved as the game went on
Harry Edwards - continued where he left off - is becoming a superb player, very rarely gets beaten now and quite a tidy disposal

SHurn - superb

Yeo - improving, and starting to hit the score board - very happy with his last two weeks

Shuey - shame he pinged a calf, seemed to be improving

Cripps - excellent game, lets hope its not a one-off

Petch - happy with his game overall, maybe he enjoyed the lack of pressure

Connor West - great inclusion, and will only get better, he's still young - good speed, pressure, physicality, just worried about his kicking a bit

Darling - worked hard, maybe a bit of improvement

The midfield mix - just seemed better, more pressure with Yeo / West in there

Game plan - seemed a bit more direct / a bit of overlap through the middle, maybe the cohesion improved as the game went on

Negatives

Sheed - seems lost out there when Yeo / Shuey / Kelly are in there

Bailey Williams - horrid, lost too many contests, but improved in Q4

OAllen - not good, hit the scoreboard late, but was a bit off today

Barrass and McGovern suck in the same team. One or the other, thanks. We need at least one accountable defender so Edwards stays.

We're 5-1 with Edwards and one of Gov/Barrass this year (EDIT: 2 wins were Edwards and Allen, no Gov or Barrass)

4-6 with both Barrass and Gov

Last edited:
While the game may have been over I'm very pleased by Williams' work in the last quarter. Those two excellent ruck taps in the centre and the goal at the end will hopefully do wonders for his confidence.

He wouldn't keep his spot on merit but I hope he finds himself in the side again so he can continue to build. There's a diamond there to be processed.

While the game may have been over I'm very pleased by Williams' work in the last quarter. Those two excellent ruck taps in the centre and the goal at the end will hopefully do wonders for his confidence.

He wouldn't keep his spot on merit but I hope he finds himself in the side again so he can continue to build. There's a diamond there to be processed.
Agree with this....other options are bring Vardy back in or let Oscar keep getting smashed as 2nd ruck....not options really
to my mind. Let Bailey get some confidence, reckon we'll be happy in time

Cripps 25d and 5 goals
Ryan 16d, 10marks and 3.4
Petch 20d, 8marks and 2.2
and even Langdon had 16d.

Now it might just be a coincidence and all our small fwds had a day out on the same day, or just maybe not being so tall in the fwd line could be something to explore
Just a reccy last Monday. All played

Moving the ball forward more quickly definitely helps.

+ the run and overlap. We have some great ball users off the backline (Hurn, Duggan, Shepard) and we need to use them
+ the young players again (H Edwards, L Edwards, West) stood up
+ Yeo's movement around the stoppages opened up space for all other onballers
+ forward line pressure, some of the second efforts and desperate lunges were noticeable improvements on previous weeks (yes you Jack Darling)
+ the tackling
+ even Petch got his hands dirty

- Bailey Williams looked lost. Until his ruckwork in the last 15 minutes, he looked foreign to the game. Hopefully that little purple patch builds his confidence.
- delivery to the forward line is still predictable when it wasn't being flung in quickly. There were a few contests with Allen, Darling, Williams and Ryan (and possibly even Nic Nat) all flying for it directly in front of goal. No wonder Allen was struggling.

I hereby apologise to Cripps. Been calling for his sacking for a month now. Where has that skill/intent been?
Cripps... as some commentator pointed out post game, all of Cripps 5 goals came from different circumstances. This is what he brings to the game when he's on song. And that's why when he's off, like in the last weeks, it makes it hard to swallow. Speaking of swallows... 1 swallow does not a summer make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives -
win
Cripps finishing
West 13 CP, most out of Eagles players with 19 possessions total
Petrucelle overall game
Yeo looked pretty good
Hurn very good

Negatives -
McGovern still is useless at defending
Ryan poor finishing
Williams looked very bad
Allen looked ordinary at best
Gaff is just a stat whore

Even going 5/5 out of last 5 weeks wont be enough for top 4 so season is over in terms of winning flag. Best can hope for is a home final but that's unlikely given Sydney's draw rest of season. Next best would be an away final at Adelaide Oval vs Port
Hopefully…. Just have a sinking feeling it will end up with something like Sydney vs us in an elimination final at GMHBA. Smh

Would rather Syd finish top 4 and leave us be. They’ll drag anyone to GMHBA given the option.

I said after last season we needed to fix our slow play out of the backline .

I thought with the new man on the mark rule we could use more overlap run and bring the corridor into play .

We are the worst team in the afl with scores from defensive 50 .

Hurn and cole both took the game on with run and carry today often using the corridor. Must be a directive.

Its a shame Watson did his ACL and got delisted .

This is something we need to address this off-season in draft, trade and gameplan

I said after last season we needed to fix our slow play out of the backline .

I thought with the new man on the mark rule we could use more overlap run and bring the corridor into play .

We are the worst team in the afl with scores from defensive 50 .

Hurn and cole both took the game on with run and carry today often using the corridor. Must be a directive.

Its a shame Watson did his ACL and got delisted .

This is something we need to address this off-season in draft, trade and gameplan
Pity Johnson isn’t developing that quickly

Agreed,so many ppl on here suggesting he be traded.
Petch will be a good player for us for a long time

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
The problem is, he’s just as likely to go completely missing next weekend and have zero impact.

And it’s not like he hasn’t been given an opportunity to develop - he’s played 42 games including two finals. He’s a few weeks older than mature aged Connor West.

I really hope he can start to play like that consistently

The problem is, he’s just as likely to go completely missing next weekend and have zero impact.

And it’s not like he hasn’t been given an opportunity to develop - he’s played 42 games including two finals. He’s a few weeks older than mature aged Connor West.

I really hope he can start to play like that consistently
That’s true but it’s been pretty interrupted with his injuries and Covid.

Just on Williams - agree with your sentiments and you’d think he would be a walk up start against the Saints with their two big men.

Vardy ain’t going to be around forever and Williams is surely next in line. He needs games under his belt so he grows into the role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back