Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Positive surely has to be the connection that Nic & Kelly now have developed in the middle.

Bodes well for when we get our two other key midfielders later in the year. Like our talls you can’t man them all up if Nic can hit to any one of our dynamic midfielders at the drop of a hat in the middle.

Not the most polished performance by any means. Tried to Coast through the last half which is a little disappointing. But it’s a win, another 4 points in the bank and Gov and Barrass will both be better for the run. Our match committee is (hopefully) going to have to make some very harsh calls in the next few weeks.

Brander's game was great to watch. Could've kicked 2 goals as well if he was on in the first quarter. Can I request a gif of his pirouette between three crows?

Really like the JJ, Petch combination in the forward half. Their dash and link up is great to see. I noticed that they, and Ah Chee, rotated into the midfield and wing at some point.
I thought those three were low-key good

Looking at the backline I have concerns about mcLovin and Barrass being able to work effectively at transitioning the ball at speed. You can tell their kicks are a little reserved and when they do go for a riskier option it does not come off.

This.

At one stage we had someone free straight down the guts, jumping around like a crazy bugger, literally every single person at Optus saw him and was making that known.

Except Barrass, who had the ball for an eternity, looking around like he had nfi what to do, before he kicked it sideways to the pocket.

And then put a hand up in a sort of apology.

I'm not the sort to yell out JUST KICK IT with no understanding of the switch, but that moment stuck out to me as a summary of the entire game by the backline.

And don't get me started on McGovern's lazy one step sideways kicks.

That goal we conceded with the slowest switch of all time was a long time coming.

Brander surprised me. After the dopiest play on since Darling in 2016, he moved back and was actually taking campaigners on. I liked it.

We've been talking about it for what? 2.5 years now? But we really REALLY need to fix our transition out of defence. FFS Simmo get on it.

We need either McGovern or Barrass to play a more accountable game rather than both trying to mark everything. I feel Edwards and Rotham last week were fantastic because their first instinct was to kill the contest and spoil towards the boundary. Gov and Barrass give a way a lot of goals trying to either take the mark or spoiling each other. Need Barrass to take the big boys and kill contests and leave McGovern more as a floater. Edwards was very useful in the last two weeks.

Petrol should be wary of taking short steps in a head on contest.Not a good look. Rotham in the backline is the equivalent of Waterman in the forward line.Nearly!!
If; and i say if we get all our midget fleet back;Rioli,Ryan,Petrol and Cripps; why not put OAllen to defence? We wouldnt need him in attack and we know how composed he is in defence.The kids a star no matter where he plays.

why not put OAllen to defence?
giphy.gif

Petrol should be wary of taking short steps in a head on contest.Not a good look. Rotham in the backline is the equivalent of Waterman in the forward line.Nearly!!
If; and i say if we get all our midget fleet back;Rioli,Ryan,Petrol and Cripps; why not put OAllen to defence? We wouldnt need him in attack and we know how composed he is in defence.The kids a star no matter where he plays.

If we get our whole squad fit and available, I can't see how Allen doesn't take the back-up-ruck role again (note, with Rioli included it really is only R23 plus finals so he shouldn't get too banged up). NN 'should' be able to slightly increase minutes too.

As much as I like Williams as a prospect, he would end up playing at the expense of Nelson, Brander, Petch, Witherden or Waterman - even with their negatives, each of them is more likely to have an impact on the game than Williams (not his fault - he would be playing limited minutes - but we can't afford to carry a player in finals)

Question: how many final quarters have we won this year?
Equal last in the league with three. Tied with Pies, Suns, North. Doing extremely well in quarters won, right up there, but Q4 is league worst.

Quarters won and Q4 won ladders below.

A162EA30-2F6B-4F41-B685-BB53BC5C10AE.jpeg
Fourth quarters won:
BE3CF38D-EF7F-446C-A4D0-86EADF7B125E.jpeg

Negatives.

That umpire with the deep voice was annoying.

A number of missed holding frees by their defenders on WC key forwards. Also a number of times their defenders would just cannon into a key forward and not get near the ball.

If we get our whole squad fit and available, I can't see how Allen doesn't take the back-up-ruck role again (note, with Rioli included it really is only R23 plus finals so he shouldn't get too banged up). NN 'should' be able to slightly increase minutes too.

As much as I like Williams as a prospect, he would end up playing at the expense of Nelson, Brander, Petch, Witherden or Waterman - even with their negatives, each of them is more likely to have an impact on the game than Williams (not his fault - he would be playing limited minutes - but we can't afford to carry a player in finals)
We need to get games into Williams. A lot like Brander, he’s going to be a completely different player in output when he gets to that 20-50 games range. We just have to get him there. I agree we can’t continue to play the amount of talls we currently do have- but we need a back up ruck and being able to stretch defenders in the air allows Darling or Kennedy to get off the chain (a bit like we saw yesterday with Darling.)

I’d prefer him to be in the side and Allen forward as I think they will form a decent 1-2 combo when Kennedy and Darling retire. The more they work together the better they will be. Waterman currently is looking like the unluckiest guy in the world right now. He’d be a lock in most sides as a 3rd tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone is not giving Adelaide any credit. The amount of time their players went hard at the ground ball while ours pull out. They tackle better than we do. They ping our arms to stop the handball release while we tackle around the waist making it easy to handball.
Good point there, too many half hearted attempts to tackle especially from small forwards, wont cut it come pointy end of season.

Looking at percentage, we should have piled more on against the Crows. Pity because it has hurt us the past 2 years.

Looking at the ladder after 9 rounds, we are tied for 3rd position yet with the lowest of teams on 7 wins, we drop to 7th.
Losing to Geelong by “only” 10 goals instead of 16 would’ve helped too.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some Brander moments for the replay?

I don’t think I can be bothered watching the full game but I would like to see how Brander went. Any particular sections I should focus on?

Is this an age thing? Old legs struggling to run out the game?
Doubt it’s that. I think it’s a cue in the rack thing unfortunately.

I feel like we get to job done territory at 3QT quite comfortably and just vibe. Did it against the Pies (actually nearly cost us), did it against the Crows, did it against Hawthorn. I don’t count the Port game because there’s no guarantee you’re going to kick on and batter a good team, but thus far the only poor team that we’ve consistently stayed on was Freo unfortunately. Ran over the top of Gold Coast comfortably too, having trailed at 3QT, so we can clearly do it.

Dunno. Has to be mental.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back