Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Round 5 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep thank * for that’
Good response from the lads after letting themselves down-as good as sign as any .

Walters and Mundy huge, true leaders..
Hopefully that finally puts to bed the idea of not playing Darcy...
Awesome to see Logue come on , always had faith
Love Sturt, was big fan when we drafted him and he’s only getting better , seriously think he could be the best of our top picks and he was the lowest!

Bit worried with hogan. Certainly did some nice things lead up work but gee really need him kicking goals.

side note would love to see McCarthy in this side but I’m just not sure how it happens until we get some gun small forwards

Tucker had just taken a big hit too in line with the half backs, ran his arse off to create an option up forward.

Tucker was amazing in that play, but what I loved also is Brayshaw's composure after receiving the handball from Tucker. Andy was under pressure, but instead of giving an immediate handball to Sturt, who would've been tackled straight away, he handball wider to an open Wilson who charged across the outer corridor.

+ve
First win for Longmuir, Young, Sturt and Serong. Wrapped for them. Particularly JL, that'll be a massive relief for him.

First/last quarter. It was good to see that we stood up and hit back, albeit after some diabolical football. Ironically probably the worst football we've played all season at times but fortunately Adelaide are slightly more s**t and weren't able to punish us properly. In that regard it's good for the younger players to learn a few lessons while still picking up 4 points.

Sturt is a massive bright spot up front, lots of x factor (/cliche). Brayshaw and Cerra lifted massively and Tucker hit the scoreboard once again. Logue was fantastic too, justifying that high pick atm. Good contribution from Aish on the outside. Darcy competed well.

* off Owen. Welcome Juan.

-ve
The 2nd and 3rd quarters...JFC. If Adelaide weren't atrocious and capitalised on their chances (sorry any lurking Crows fans, we know how tough a rebuild can be), we'd have lost this game. Tough to watch and there was a sense of inevitability watching those last few goals in the third term go through.

Midfield - beaten again. The Crouch brothers are no slouches but I keep coming back to the fact that a direct Fyfe replacement (you know who) would've helped us better utilize Darcy's ruckwork and help stem the tide. Granted we recovered a bit in the last quarter, but we're going to keep having poor patches where teams get a run of goals against us if we don't improve out stoppage work.

Infectious terrible ball use, poor decision making going forward and awful structuring of our key targets. These have all been issues with Fremantle for a while now, but they were really on show today and a big KPI for Longmuir is going to be fixing these persistent problems. There's no point having 3 key forwards if they're going to run into each others' space and refuse to work as a unit. At the same time, I understand the frustration when they do create space, break off their opponent and then watch our midfielders boot it into the stratosphere or miss the leading target by 50 feet. 'Lower your eyes ffs' is a big hit on Freo supporter bingo.

Overall, still happy we won. My hope is that finally getting a win releases a bit of pressure and adds some confidence to the group. Phew.

Negative - we lack options up forward when Walters is in the middle, but as evident today we can't afford not to have Walters in the middle

Logue was sensational. I can't believe how many people wrote him off in his first year after one off-the-cuff comment by Lyon. This board is Chicken Little personified.

That was just about the best game Brayshaw has played in his career. Cerra was good too.

Mundy still has it. Took a bit for him to warm into the season but he showed the value of keeping quality veterans around youngsters tonight.

Hopefully Darcy showed his value tonight to the doubters. He's still raw, but he makes both the team and Lobb better when he's out there.

Adelaide were their own worst enemies but who cares? A win is a win.

Saw people complaining in the GD thread that the hub was an excuse for losing and that teams don't win premierships without winning away. Well no s**t, did anyone really think we were a premiership contender this year? There's a pretty well established timeline for rebuilding interstate teams that first they win at home while sucking away, then progress to beating average teams away, then finally are able to beat good team away. We've been denied the opportunity for stage one wins and I think we're going ok considering. I think a few will be pleasantly surprised once we get a home hub with no travel for weeks on end.

Tucker was amazing in that play, but what I loved also is Brayshaw's composure after receiving the handball from Tucker. Andy was under pressure, but instead of giving an immediate handball to Sturt, who would've been tackled straight away, he handball wider to an open Wilson who charged across the outer corridor.

Sturt then ended up in the chain at hf.

Looked much better with Darcy.

The team felt well balanced!

Great to see some players stand up big time
Brayshaw - in the guts JLo. No more half forward nonsense please.
Logue - superb, rock solid
Cerra and Tucker excellent
Great game from Darcy too, marking and follow up work

We still have 3 major issues to address:
- clearance/stoppage work, got murdered for long periods again
- forward entries need work, spreading talls and target selection on entry
- inability to play 4 consistent quarters

But we'll get there!!! One day

WIN.
Logue was BOG for mine. His closing speed and willingness to use it saved our bacon many times.
Early on I thought our kicking was very good but still too many howlers.
Just to confirm when the Crows drew level with us I never for one minute spat the dummy and yelled we are #&**%%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Logue & Brayshaw for mine.

It's awesome to sort by player stats and see Brayshaw, Cerra & Tucker on top. Almost want to plonk Fyfey CHF 100% when he comes back.

Mundy was immense last quarter - 7 clearances for the game.

Sturt is going to be a ripper.

Definitely think we give Shultz more time and don't throw him to the wolves just yet.

Want to see Hogan influence the game much more, the mark then kick i50 for a goal was the highlight but he can be much more consistent so will give him time.

Logue is in All Australian form after 5 rounds - certainly in the debate at least. Should be leading our B&F count too.

The biggest positive for me was Cerra. Loved his game (mostly) and Tucker was good too.

Hogan and Tabs were the negative for me. Not working at all well together.

Sturt is going to be an absolute ripper!

Serong didn’t go backwards from last week, Young not as good this week but was still really impressive.

Schultz is doing his job as the small pressure forward.
Need a forward coach badly. You can see what JLo is doing with ball movement and short kicks. But gee no one leads even 30 m from the kicker. Tabs is a contested marking bull. Yet Hogan takes his man to the goal square as well. So does Lobb. Spread the heck out. Was awful at times. Use the guys to their advantage.
Hogan can play one on one, quick off the lead.
Lobb can win the aerial ball, get him around 40m out.
Tabs should be only one in goal square. What irritates me is the smalls leading, blocking paths for talls to run into. What a waste of time. I’ve never seen Walters even win marks by doing that. The smalls job should always be to hand around the packs for crumbs or ask for shorter kicks.
That turnover from Ryan to the Adelaide bloke who kicked it straight back to Ryan pretty much summed up the game
Had They used it properly, would’ve had a shot at goal with 20 seconds left.
Shows the confidence and desperation of both teams.

We need some football smarts to play up forward with Hogan. Tabs kept running in front of his leads.

Time to give Cam Mac a go as the third tall.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought Tabs lifted in the last.

Brayshaws best in a while. Ditto Cerra.

Shultzy holds his spot after a good effort.

Logue BOG

Aish best import in terms of immediate output since danyle Pearce 2013.

Darcy gets through it.

Mundy turns back the clock .

Negatives

Game style

Go down the guts not the wings..understand we're using the boundary as security if there's a turnover. But we're not good at that style. Much better down the middle, take the risk.

Walters, kicked a few but his ducking is hard to watch.

Hogan. Bad attitude, selfish.

Young might of got ahead of himself a bit. Hes young so not a big negative.

Not a negative or positive. Just an observation.
But it's funny how Lobb was rucking better today as a backup. Maybe he was fatigued the past 2 weeks, but I think he was sooking a bit that he wants to play fwd and not ruck therefore dropped his bundle a bit. Looked good at times today, still a long way to go to be considered a good kpf. We do need to find him more going i5o.

Pretty happy with how the kids stood up with Fyfe out. Sturt's looking great and I'm pretty sure Brayshaw had a twin on the field.

That forward line though. I hope Hogan has a breakout game soon, just to get his confidence up. None of them really had a great day.

Pretty happy with how the kids stood up with Fyfe out. Sturt's looking great and I'm pretty sure Brayshaw had a twin on the field.

That forward line though. I hope Hogan has a breakout game soon, just to get his confidence up. None of them really had a great day.
Hogan was just off. He’s adjusting but gee his attitude needs to be more professional then that. Tabs had a good fourth quarter. But other then that, the forward line had a shocker day. Such an unorganised mess.

+
JLo gets his first of many

Brayshaw leadership

Cerra composure

Darcy gave us a presence around the ball and could of had a great game if he was a little bit cleaner

Louge growing each week

Shultz did a power of work as the only realistic fwd half pressure provider in the team ... s**t on him all you like you fools but all that does is show how little you know about modern football

-

We will never see space like that to move the ball through the centre of the ground again , so frustrating we could make no use of it

Hogans sooking is unforgivable considering he's not exactly a model of professionalism, he's costing us about $ 275,000 a goal ATM

Fwd 50 entries obviously

Hill , Wilson , Conca , Lobb , Tabs , Hughes and Ryan were all poor at times and couldn't give us any direction when we needed them

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The female umpire - im not sure what her name is, but she did a wonderful job.

The game had me laughing in patches. Certainly Cerra and Brayshaw made me happy. Not quite sure with Brayshaw's kicking, but he has Guts grit and determination.

Hogan is so weird. Tabs is tabs.

Mundy was electric in the middle. Great plays.

Sturt, Serong and Young. What a dynamic trio.

And its great to see Hilll back in action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back