Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Round 5 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally don’t go around writing horrible comments about musicians and actors on the web either, especially not those that I am a fan of. Just because others do, doesn’t make it is right. How does that amount of pressure usually work out for younger artists? Not well a lot of the time does it?
We can do better.

Like it or not there are paid critics in all media commenting and criticizing on actors, musicians, artists, writers, chefs and sports people. Some punters if they have spent time or dollars watching any performance also feel they have the right to an opinion.
If a performer doesn't like criticism don't perform in the public eye.

Standing next to Brayshaw when he kicked was Sturt.
Sturt was almost a good as Tucker. They were both standing on the half back flank and both had possessions on the half forward flank / pocket after flat out sprint from end to end. JL would've been impressed with the effort of both of them.

In a rebuild Banfield needs to be more than a stopper. The big plus for him is attitude and in that he reminds me of deBoer. I’d prefer to debut Valente than put Banfield in the middle.

I haven’t been vocal about it but I think Conca is important to us. And I also like the way Duman is developing. The gnashing of teeth over Duman and Hughes is ridiculous especially in the context of our only KPD being Logue who hasn’t played 30 games yet.

I don’t really think Fredericks is a realistic option for Duman when we are undersized in defence. For Colyer, sure he’d be an option.

Frederick is a direct swap for Bewley

If we can't talk about footy and the players performance on here what is the point of having a forum. . It's just knowing the line and unfortunately it gets crossed here a lot.
100% and the definition of the line varies from person to person. I try to post on here in the same way that I would talk to the player / coach / management / conditioners if they were sitting across the table to me. I definitely don't always succeed :)

100% and the definition of the line varies from person to person. I try to post on here in the same way that I would talk to the player / coach / management / conditioners if they were sitting across the table to me. I definitely don't always succeed :)
No I don't either, but I try. I think everyone faces some criticism in their lives at some point. I certainly did at Uni and while being under supervision early in my work life. If it is fair criticism, you can learn from it. If it is unreasonable you can just ignore it. That's my philosophy, anyway.

The posters here have done a great job outlining the pluses and minuses from Saturday.
One thing I'd like to mentionthat made me happier than it probably should have was seeing Sonny toss the coin and captain the Fremantle Dockers to a win in the AFL. Congratulations mate, by far my favourite player and a well deserved honour.

They are paid to perform so opinions on ability IMO is fine. Musicians, actors are under the same scrutiny.
It's the personal stuff relating to health, partners, hair style, looks , time not on the field that is beyond good taste.
The one I chatted to was actaully quite upset. It was the family of an interstate recruit and he said they had all become Freo supporters. They relied on BF for information about training and Peel as the player was (at that time) not playing firsts regularly. He could not believe the level of anger directed at a kid trying to make his way in a tough game a long way from home.

Welcome to the nrw world, where everyone has a "right" to tear down others in complete anonymity.

This is a forum ultimately and people should be free to discuss the team and players and when the team isn't going well there are of course going to be some criticisms. It can't be a safe little bubble. But there needs to be a line and endless hounding of players, or personal insults or slurs are crossing the line. 99% of us are on the same page in supporting the team and players, but emotions get the better of us sometimes me included. If everyone was aware that their comments could directly affect players at the club and families, people would be more mindful about what they say. Maybe even a sticky post would be worthwhile.

This is a forum ultimately and people should be free to discuss the team and players and when the team isn't going well there are of course going to be some criticisms. It can't be a safe little bubble. But there needs to be a line and endless hounding of players, or personal insults or slurs are crossing the line. 99% of us are on the same page in supporting the team and players, but emotions get the better of us sometimes me included. If everyone was aware that their comments could directly affect players at the club and families, people would be more mindful about what they say. Maybe even a sticky post would be worthwhile.

Mods probably need to create an award, like they do at school, for positive poster of the year. This can be the theme song.

They are paid to perform so opinions on ability IMO is fine. Musicians, actors are under the same scrutiny.
It's the personal stuff relating to health, partners, hair style, looks , time not on the field that is beyond good taste.
You’re absolutely right salim but it’s how those opinions are expressed that’s sometimes malicious and over the top. As I’ve said before, it’s not a few blokes standing around a bar talking sh*t. It’s a public forum that anyone can read.

I watched the replay last night. I missed the game as my son had two 9 year old birthdays to go to.
My impression of the game is that I'd probably prefer to talk about the parties.
We've played far better for longer in the games we lost IMO, it's just that Adelaide didn't hurt us when they should have.
We still have a long way to go but there was definitely a feeling that something is building. The synergy around the game felt better, even with the forward like in patches.
If that's Logues ceiling, then I'm happy with that. Don't agree with a move to the midfield, maybe as a tagger? it's taken him this long to be a good defender, bigger waiting 3 seasons for him to get his head around being a midfielder.
A win is a win and it's great that so many new to the club got their first one. Good to get that monkey off of their back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree the forward line didn't function well but hopefully that will come with time. I like to think in the next couple of years having Lobb/Hogan/Taberner plus Sturt/Walters/Henry will be bloody dangerous. Add in Fyfe and Walters swapping in the middle and you would have to think teams will be scared of us.
Obviously the young mids were very impressive and I was stoked for all of them to show they can stand up. I almost think it would be better for us long term to keep Fyfe as 60% forward from now on to keep giving the young mids the midfield minutes, as well as protect Fyfes body.
Was also very happy for Sean Darcy. Whilst he arguably just broke even or even lowered his colours, he did some important things and won the hitouts. What a mark he took - if he keeps improving in that area he will be a genuine topline AFL ruck very soon if he can keep his body right.
On the other side, how bad are Adelaide going at this point. When you look at their lineup, there are a lot of players who are/were elite only a couple of years ago (Sloan/Laird/Crouches/Walker/Lynch etc), but they look a shell of a team and, I don't know the numbers, but seemed a lot older on average than us. A couple of their young players looked OK, but they are in a world of trouble you would think. And that is not even mentioning the camp disaster that seems to still crop up.

On the rewatch I did notice that A LOT of the problems going inside 50 were not the forwards fault, it was the midfielder making the decision. Everyone of those Tabs pocket kicks was the wrong decision. Tabs was doing the right thing in leading into the pocket space to make space for another forward to lead into and the player delivering the ball chose the wrong option. Hogan was actually himself responsible for a few of these poor choices

Bewley and Serong had the two worst decisions here. Bewley burnt Sturt who was leading straight at him and would have been kciking from 35m out to try to hit Walters who had no separation. Serong streaming out the middle saw Tabs leading to the pocket with Hogan sitting in the goal square waiting for it to be put in the paddock in front of him and didnt think his way through it. Serong's was specifically mentioned on the radio last night I think, he'll learn from it.

Most of the rest of I50s were when Adelaide were set up and we had little choice other than to go to a pack top of the square.

I think I counted 5 or 6 in the game that were the deliverer's fault. Make the right choice and we have an extra 5 shots on goal and it looks a lot better

I think it was intentional but Aish kicked it right on Lobb's head with a low trajectory kick that led to one of his goals.

I can guarantee you some do, and some family of players. I had a PM from one guy thanking me for defending his nephew against some real vitriol. Josh Deluca's brother was a regular. This is a public forum.

You're a good egg.

I must admit to having become frustrated this season with a team selections. Having said that this is my club, I support them and back in J-Lo.

it must be terribly hard for a new senior coach with a number of key players injured and COVID all happening at once.

Some supporters here almost sound sinister in their remarks towards our coaches and some of the players. This is most disappointing.

You're a good egg.

I must admit to having become frustrated this season with a team selections. Having said that this is my club, I support them and back in J-Lo.

it must be terribly hard for a new senior coach with a number of key players injured and COVID all happening at once.

Some supporters here almost sound sinister in their remarks towards our coaches and some of the players. This is most disappointing.

Having an opinion that certain players aren't up to senior standards is hardly sinister.
I haven't read anyone on here posting that players get hurt or worse.
This is a footy forum, punters come here to talk footy.
If you can't discuss coaches, players , umpires, fitness staff, management on whether they are good or bad whats the point.
The problem is commenting on their personal lives .

Just saw Mundy has been fined for misconduct for the 'knee punching' (Freo is contesting).

What a weird charge. Maybe these things wouldn't happen if umpires didn't require players to play-act 'making an attempt'.

Having an opinion that certain players aren't up to senior standards is hardly sinister.
I haven't read anyone on here posting that players get hurt or worse.
This is a footy forum, punters come here to talk footy.
If you can't discuss coaches, players , umpires, fitness staff, management on whether they are good or bad whats the point.
The problem is commenting on their personal lives .

I never said that referring to players not being up to it is being sinister.

Take a look at the rumours board on bf. Bigfooty is bigger than just our board.

I never said that referring to players not being up to it is being sinister.

Take a look at the rumours board on bf. Bigfooty is bigger than just our board.

Bay 13 and rumours boards aren't for rational thinking.
The Freo board and an occasional look at the main board is good enough for me.
To be honest though I don't think the posts on here that are critical of some of the remarks on players are talking about other boards.

Bay 13 and rumours boards aren't for rational thinking.
The Freo board and an occasional look at the main board is good enough for me.
To be honest though I don't think the posts on here that are critical of some of the remarks on players are talking about other boards.

I've read a few posters views on Ross with a fair dose of vitriol.

My issue is that for the families of a player or player themselves who has worked all their life for this opportunity, being told by a fan who really doesn’t know enough about the inner workings of a club to have that opinion that they’re not up to it is actually a lot more sinister than you realise. Players don’t go home from training and turn off being a footy player, it is absolutely part of every aspect of their personal lives. Sure post your opinion, but the brutal way it is often delivered is thoughtless and could be done a lot more constructively which would make these boards a lot more pleasant for everyone who reads them. Also no one is forcing anyone to punt, and in no way does this owe you the right to be a keyboard warrior.

To punt, don't follow.
If you put yourself in the public's eye expect to be examined.
Sorry but BF is all about footy discussions . If discussing players strengths and weaknesses is not for you then BF isn't for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back