Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Round 5 2020

May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brayshaw back to what he does best....you can forgive his kicking a little but needs to keep working on it. Cerra , best game for a while, I think enjoyed the responsibility without Fyfe. Only went missing for shorter periods.

Young fumbled today but was always in great positions so lots to like.

Sturt looks so good. Really looking forward to watching him.
Logue continues to step up as the key defender and does an amazing job.

But.......

Taberner.. I don’t know why there are people that talk positively about him. How the hell is he allowed to still take up space in the 22. He cannot take a mark when there is any direct contact on his body or arms. I see the same issues with him that was evident years ago when we lost to Sydney in the final at Homebush. Remember Dan Parker? We waited 4 years for him to turn into a forward. I haven’t seen any improvement other than he can out body his opponent better now.

Bewley is not good enough. He is improving but not up to standard.

If we could upgrade Bewley and Taberner it would be a good start

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
I'm not so negative about Bewley. We can all acknowledge that he's not a top-grade AFL player on exposed form as well as skills. But he's doing a job we don't have many available options for after a couple of notable departures and injuries.
There was that little passage where he was caught behind in marking contest on the wing, saw he was out positioned, and very quickly zipped out from behind, around in front, and out marked the Adelaide player on his chest in a one on one which stopped one of a string Crows counterattacks up that wing.

Trying to find some footage of it. I'm just going by memory, it was a standout for me.
I thought coming in he was a great kick, but while they are flat they are miss directed.

This is the big disappointment for me. Agree, we don't have many options on the outside which is why he is playing.

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I remember a game at Subi many years ago where I actually felt sorry for the opposition and that was the Crows too.

After they got their sh*t together and won a flag a few years later and we’re still pissing around trying to win our first, I learnt a very valuable lesson.
This doesn't make sense. Crows have only won the flag in 97 & 98, and the first time they played us in WA was 97 which they won.

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought coming in he was a great kick, but while they are flat they are miss directed.

This is the big disappointment for me. Agree, we don't have many options on the outside which is why he is playing.
Yeah I get that.
I've just watched the first half again, and, particularly in the first quarter, he did just fine.
Sometimes we expect more of mature age recruits than we should, given the same amount of games as a draftee (but more in high level football). Bewley is only a 15-gamer at this point. Far too early to be writing him off.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
This doesn't make sense. Crows have only won the flag in 97 & 98, and the first time they played us in WA was 97 which they won.

Hmmm, my bad then. The game must’ve been after their flags then. I could’ve sworn it was before but there you go. Memory isn’t what it used to be.

noise36

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Taberner.. I don’t know why there are people that talk positively about him.

Put a side how frustrating he is , look at his stats, he takes marks and kicks goals. I am not always sure he is a net positive after you add up all his brain farts but he most definitely contributes and does his job for the most part.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Logue- Huge all day.
Brayshaw- much better
Mundy - excellent, back in form
Cerra, Tucker, Serong - all good.
Darcy - so important for structure
Lobb- huge up front
Aish - possibly our best trade in a long time
Skills in general are way, way better than previous years

negatives
16 other sides would have put us away
Walters - has been awesome forever but please, please, please stop playing for frees.
Hogan - lose the petulance.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
I feel bad for Adelaide fans, where as we have our next generation clearly obvious in Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker, Young, Serong, Sturt and Henry, their list may be in the worst position of all time. Of the players on their list you can build around, its probably Fogarty, Doedee, McAdams and Hamill with the jury out on McAsey and Jones (early signs not great here).

There is nothing in the midfield coming through and there older players dont have much left in them.

They are 5+ years away from competing again
They remind me of west coast I have little empathy.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I fail to understand the Bewley feedback. His strengths are what we have missed in the wing role for a long time. Nearly every Kick puts a team mate further up the field and/or in a better position.
We want more players with elite disposal efficiency.

Add the extra effort With tackles today and he is a keeper.

Despite being a touch older, he’s still a 2nd year player, in my view, he’s going alright.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
I fail to understand the Bewley feedback. His strengths are what we have missed in the wing role for a long time. Nearly every Kick puts a team mate further up the field and/or in a better position.
We want more players with elite disposal efficiency.

Add the extra effort With tackles today and he is a keeper.

Despite being a touch older, he’s still a 2nd year player, in my view, he’s going alright.
Agree, he's not that bad and is tracking well for a second year. I just wish he would commit to tackling instead of trying to corral guys at times. He is too easily sidestepped, and those are the moments burned into peoples' minds.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Such poor coaching for that to happen.
JLo had had 1 highly interrupted pre season and Jesse wasn't there for most of it. They'll get better playing together.

I'm fairly sure today was the first time Jesse, Tabs and Lobb have played in the same forward line since RtB left.

JLo had had 1 highly interrupted pre season and Jesse wasn't there for most of it. They'll get better playing together.

I'm fairly sure today was the first time Jesse, Tabs and Lobb have played in the same forward line since RtB left.
It’d be the 2nd time ever that they’ve actually all played as forwards in the same team (R2 v GC last year, Lobb rucked the rest of the time Tabs and Jesse were fit)

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle

Gws game and maybe the bulldogs game too possibly.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
I can’t wait until Hogan gets some confidence up again. There was one point where he took a mark on the 50 and I was so excited to see him have a shot but he chipped it over to Tabs in a pocket who kicked a point. I’d rather see Jesse go for it from 50 than Tabs on an angle like that.
Wtf moment. Kick it through the middle of the sticks son.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
This isn’t a positive or negative following the game but Aish, Sturt and Cerra are my favourite players to watch at the moment. Aish is so clam, cool and collected and makes the right decision. Sturt plays the HFF position as it should and impacts with every possession and pressure act he makes. Cerra is all class and with his skill and decision making, provides some calm when the game is hectic; Mundyesque.
Darcy, although not outstanding, gives our team so much more structure. Logue, beast, and will only get better when he gets to play as third y’all, which will in turn, free up Ryan, Hill and Wilson to play more offensively off half back.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
This isn’t a positive or negative following the game but Aish, Sturt and Cerra are my favourite players to watch at the moment. Aish is so clam, cool and collected and makes the right decision. Sturt plays the HFF position as it should and impacts with every possession and pressure act he makes. Cerra is all class and with his skill and decision making, provides some calm when the game is hectic; Mundyesque.
Darcy, although not outstanding, gives our team so much more structure. Logue, beast, and will only get better when he gets to play as third y’all, which will in turn, free up Ryan, Hill and Wilson to play more offensively off half back.
I've heard of players being called crabs but never clams. ;)

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
The notes from the Mongrel Punt review relevant to Freo:

• Freo lack the killer instinct. With the game theirs in the second quarter, they failed to capitalise only scoring the one goal and then allowing a late goal against. At this stage, they should have been 6 or 7 goals in front.

• Freo’s ball use is too slow at times. Their improvement in ball movement is obvious: Their skills are higher, and they look to go forward at all costs, but with good control. However, at times, they can be too slow which allows defenders to get back. Knowing when to pull the trigger is the next step in their game plan development.
  • Sturt will be a good player. The livewire forward didn’t have a huge impact on the game, but his energy and intensity around the ball was exciting. He kicked the first goal of the game and flew for what have been just about mark of the decade. Certainly one to watch.
  • Freo are sadly missing their most important player- Alex Pearce. All season he’s been out, and when he’s out the Fremantle defence can’t control the game. Technically a young player, Pearce is a great general down back and many of their lapses could be put to him not being there. As for their best player Fyfe? Well, yeah, he’d have been pretty handy, too.
  • Freo’s tall forward line could be dominate. The three talls of Tabener, Hogan and Lobb are all athletic, good runners, strong, reliable marks and contribute in different ways. If they can get the mix right, and the right supply, they may be unstoppable.
  • 0-5 is not all doom and gloom for either club. Adelaide have been dreadful this season and Freo been inconsistent within games. But today, both clubs provided plenty of good highlights that their fans will find promising for the future. Adelaide probably isn’t as bad as you might suggest and Fremantle, if anything, just don’t have a great ability to find a win.
  • Logue should be a midfielder. The 192cm defender is incredibly athletic and has a huge frame. He’s developed into a good defender, but his size in the middle would be very beneficial to Fremantle’s clearance difficulties.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2020/2020/07/05/fremantle-v-adelaide-mongrel-review/

For what it's worth I strongly disagree with the Logue to the midfield argument. We don't have key defenders to spare for inspired position changes, and given how useful Logue is as a KPD I have no idea why we'd be moving him. Our clearance problems should be solved by developing our current midfielders and the draft.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
The notes from the Mongrel Punt review relevant to Freo:

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2020/2020/07/05/fremantle-v-adelaide-mongrel-review/

For what it's worth I strongly disagree with the Logue to the midfield argument. We don't have key defenders to spare for inspired position changes, and given how useful Logue is as a KPD I have no idea why we'd be moving him. Our clearance problems should be solved by developing our current midfielders and the draft.
Actually when he was bulking up and doing training last season, he was looking like a rampaging inside mid with athleticism. Injuries struck.
Logue is an utility type player. Just don’t know what’s his best position is.
If they get Hamling, Pearce back with Cox. It wouldn’t be bad of a try. He can take on anyone plus he is also quick. Think that’s too good to have purely as a lockdown defender.

Back