Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Round 5 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If they get Hamling, Pearce back with Cox. It wouldn’t be bad of a try. He can take on anyone plus he is also quick. Think that’s too good to have purely as a lockdown defender.

Given some of the forwards in the comp I like keeping Griff as a defender; teams like Richmond have been put in a very good situation having guys like Grimes that are good enough to shut down the best forwards in the comp like Charlie Cameron and we know Griff can do that as well.

I reckon depending on injuries and the like a Pearce/Hamling/Logue or Pearce/Cox/Logue backline, aided by Ryan, Young and the like, would give us one of the best defenses in the competition. Just need to have some midfielders step up and fix our forwardline and we'll be very well placed.

The notes from the Mongrel Punt review relevant to Freo:

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2020/2020/07/05/fremantle-v-adelaide-mongrel-review/

For what it's worth I strongly disagree with the Logue to the midfield argument. We don't have key defenders to spare for inspired position changes, and given how useful Logue is as a KPD I have no idea why we'd be moving him. Our clearance problems should be solved by developing our current midfielders and the draft.
What if we get DGB?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why not just draft a midfielder?
Cos we have like 12 midfielders and talls are the best players this draft? We have so many midfielders that they get played as half backs and half forwards (Conca and Banfield as examples).

Last edited:
Positives

• Time to start smugly dredging up old posts saying the doomsayers are wrong and Logue will be a star
  • Brayshaw winning footy and repeat efforts.
  • Cerra showing poise and only going missing for one quarter
  • Ball movement in general play and from centre and forward half turn overs is genuinely good.
  • Darcy handed O’Brien his arse on a plate.
  • Please sign Stuart to an in-principle extension now before he starts dominating.
  • Mundy and Walter masterclass in the last. Forgive me for calling you cooked David
Negatives

• Ball movement out of the D50 not great (we concede too many repeats)
  • Stoppage coaching still poor. Particularly centre bounces: What we did in the last quarter and bit* worked but it’s not going to be a sustainable tactic
  • Forward line not holding the ball in. More pressure please, need repeat entries. Midfield is to blame here too.
  • Forwards edging up to close to the midfield collectively when we are concede repeat entries.
  • 3 talls is too many unless they can all agree where they are going to go.

*Seemed to me they decided Walters was going to be the on-the-move decoy and Darcy would hit it at static Mundy or over Mundy’s man instead. It allowed Barra to win a number of clearances and Walters a few too following up when the ball spilled. Adeailde oblidging didn't respond at all and never got near it in the last.

Last edited:
The goal Darcy Tucker kicked was an awesome bit of play.

Tucker smashes through the tackle and handballs to Brayshaw who doesn't do the one meter handball. He lateral kicks to a running Wilson.
Tucker has now taken off.
Standing next to Brayshaw when he kicked was Sturt. He is next to Hamil.
He takes off to offer the option, Hamil has to head at Wilson. Sturt gets the handball receive and beautifully kicks on the right to Tucker who has run the length of the field to mark on 48 and kick the goal.

Superb stuff

Tucker smashes through the tackle and handballs to Brayshaw who doesn't do the one meter handball. He lateral kicks to a running Wilson.
He takes off to offer the option, Hamil has to head at Wilson. Sturt gets the handball receive and beautifully kicks on the right to Tucker who has run the length of the field to mark on 48 and kick the goal.

Superb stuff
Yeah, very very good from Tucker. There was a nice piece on that exact play on "Access all Areas", they had behind goal footage of the whole play. They also added that for Tucker to kick the 50m goal after such a big gut-run like that was impressive. He's coming along nicely and must have a bloody good tank on him.

Superb stuff
I had a cigarette just after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives
- Brayshaw was awesome to watch. An absolute bull who works his ass off when he doesn't have the ball. Brashaw > LDU isn't even up for discussion anymore.
- we are seeing players who have "it". Cerra, Brayshaw, Sturt, Serong and Young have all shown that they have some defining feature that will make them a B22 player. I have struggled to see it with guys like Banfield, Dixon, Bewley and Crowden who still COULD make it but they are just missing whatever this crop has.
- Youngs disposal is mouth watering. He has such a great kick, the decision making is a work in process but he could be our best user since Stephen Hill.
- Logue was awesome, hopefully he can play with A.Pearce and Hamling sooner rather than later.
- Lobb as a forward / ruck looked great instead of a ruck / forward.
- Darcy Tucker looks like a genuine B22 player who could get a game at other clubs. Has come on well.
- Aish has been great, is clearly JLs version of Zac Dawson and that is a good thing.
- Vintage Mundy. Will be a sad day when he retires.
- Top 3 ball winners were from the opposition. Freo played well as a unit (sort of) and didn't rely on players to do everything.
- 4 points.

Negatives
- Conca horrible again.
- Bewley is just not up to it. Big bodied, good enough kick just seems to hold the ball up/ be flat footed too often.
- Ugly game, Adelaide lost that as much as we won it.
- Forward line dysfunctional, I swear it is a Freo thing. Other than Pav have we had a KPF that worked? Modra maybe? Between the talls we have to have a way of creating seperation.... surely!
- Colyer being selected in the initial 22. Never again. Please.

Yeah, very very good from Tucker. There was a nice piece on that exact play on "Access all Areas", they had behind goal footage of the whole play. They also added that for Tucker to kick the 50m goal after such a big gut-run like that was impressive. He's coming along nicely and must have a bloody good tank on him.

For the Andy Brayshaw knockers, have a look at his poise and execution of in that passage of play. The "obvious" get out was the short handball to Sturt who would have come under immediate pressure - he looked at it, decided against it and weighted a kick perfectly to Nathan Wilson who didn't even have to break stride. He has some improving to do, but sometimes we focus so hard on the mistakes we don't see the moments of brilliance.

Cos we have like 12 midfielders and talls are the best players this draft? We have so many midfielders that they get played as half backs and half forwards (Conca and Banfield as examples).
If Conca and Banfield were good enough as midfielders they would play there. If Pina and Watson and Duman were better at half back then they would play there.

For me the positives have mostly been listed - mainly seeing some really positive signs from half a dozen first round draft picks in the side. Logue, Cerra, Brayshaw, Young, Serong and that young-bootlick Stephen Hill.

I'm getting a little more confidence that Darcy will build strength and go on to have a great year - he sure looked sharp in the preseason when Sandilands was working him like a mule.

Negatives - GAME DAY THREAD - I've been posting here for nearly a decade now, there's been ups and downs but the current state of this board is on full display in that thread. I can see why some great posters have walked away from this place. Hysterical, venemous vitriol - calling the club to be shut down, homophobic slurs, Jlo is the new Drum - sack him, every fringe-player is lowlife, disinterested scum etc etc.

I get that we as a supporter base are frustrated, but some of you need to take a good hard look at how you interact here - at least take a deep breathe before you post for God's sake.

Last edited:
Negatives - GAME DAY THREAD - I've been posting here for nearly a decade now, there's been ups and downs but that state of this board is on full display in that thread. I can see why some great posters have walked away from this place. Hysterical, venemous vitriol - calling the club to be shut down, homophobic slurs, Jlo is the new Drum - sack him, every fringe-player is lowlife, disinterested scum etc etc.

I get that we as a supporter base are frustrated, but some of you need to take a good hard look at how you interact here - at least take a deep breathe before you post for God's sake.

Agree. It's disgraceful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back