Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Round 5 2020

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Negatives - GAME DAY THREAD - I've been posting here for nearly a decade now, there's been ups and downs but the current state of this board is on full display in that thread. I can see why some great posters have walked away from this place. Hysterical, venemous vitriol - calling the club to be shut down, homophobic slurs, Jlo is the new Drum - sack him, every fringe-player is lowlife, disinterested scum etc etc.
Yep, could not agree more. I just stay away from the game day thread now - it seems some people think it is their right as a supporter to slag off everyone and everything about the club in the game day thread and blame it on the emotion of the moment. Then those same people bag out our players if they ever show any ill disciple such as Hogan did on the weekend.

I find life far more enjoyable if I watch the game without going anywhere near Big Footy!

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Negatives - GAME DAY THREAD - I've been posting here for nearly a decade now, there's been ups and downs but the current state of this board is on full display in that thread. I can see why some great posters have walked away from this place. Hysterical, venemous vitriol - calling the club to be shut down, homophobic slurs, Jlo is the new Drum - sack him, every fringe-player is lowlife, disinterested scum etc etc.

Well said, especially when we were ahead all game.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't get on many game day threads but people need to chill. Anyone ever been to a game and yelled out in frustration when a player fouls it up or an umpire makes a howler? Yes? Well the gameday thread is the keyboard equivalent. Stop reading it if you think it's toxic

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
I don't get on many game day threads but people need to chill. Anyone ever been to a game and yelled out in frustration when a player fouls it up or an umpire makes a howler? Yes? Well the gameday thread is the keyboard equivalent. Stop reading it if you think it's toxic
Some of the things that people were saying on the match day thread, if they shouted that out in the seat next to me at a game, or if we were watching it at a pub, I would 100% tell them to chill out.

While I agree that some people on BigFooty need to chill the * out, there is a big difference between yelling something in the heat of the moment at the game and taking the time to type it out on here.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some of the things that people were saying on the match day thread, if they shouted that out in the seat next to me at a game, or if we were watching it at a pub, I would 100% tell them to chill out.

Fair enough you have the right to tell them to chill and they have the right to ignore you

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think that's the point. I don't bother eith game day threads anymore because that's all it seems to be.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Conca and Banfield were good enough as midfielders they would play there. If Pina and Watson and Duman were better at half back then they would play there.
What about DeBoer and Crozier?? We get rid of them and they find an important role at other clubs. Sometimes it's not about being "good enough".

I'll go in and bat for Banfield who has a role as a midfield beast and great stopper but hasn't been used to shut down players since his debut year in 2018. Only 22 and he could have won a couple of games for us in this role this year and last.

I say we need him and should be promoting him instead of Conca or Colyla and I'd be trying to get games into Fredericks instead of Duman. Disappointed with that decision.

Last edited:

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Conca and Banfield were good enough as midfielders they would play there. If Pina and Watson and Duman were better at half back then they would play there.
Exactly what I am saying we already have good midfielders so I think we should prioritise good KPP's in a draft with good KPP's rather than another midfielder to throw on the pile.
I still think Valente will be a good player for us who hasn't even got a game yet.

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle

Granted, but some of the posts on the weekend were particularly noxious. As a forum I think we can do far better than resorting to homophobic slurs and calls to sack the coach after 5 games, particularly given that it's highly likely at least a few of the players browse bigfooty from time to time.

It's not a good reflection on all of us and tbh emotion is a pretty flimsy excuse.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
What about DeBoer and Crozier?? We get rid of them and they find an important role at other clubs. Sometimes it's not about being "good enough".

I'll go in and bat for Banfield who has a role as a midfield beast and great stopper but hasn't been used to shut down players since his debut year in 2008. Only 22 and he could have won a couple of games for us in this role this year and last.

I say we need him and should be promoting him instead of Conca or Colyla and I'd be trying to get games into Fredericks instead of Duman. Disappointed with that decision.
Banfield's been around longer than i thought ;)

I highly doubt players would browse Bigfooty.

If I was a player, I probably would. I would be more interested in what the fans thought than the morons in the media.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can guarantee you some do, and some family of players. I had a PM from one guy thanking me for defending his nephew against some real vitriol. Josh Deluca's brother was a regular. This is a public forum.
I’m sure they google their name from time to time. BF would definitely come up.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is no doubt some players are reading these forums. Or at the very least close family members. I think most posters have a balanced enough view and aren’t personal in their criticisms. They are professional players though and so public scrutiny is part of the gig. Facebook and Twitter would be far worse.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
If I was a player, I probably would. I would be more interested in what the fans thought than the morons in the media.

You’d be better off talking to fans or following some trusted ones on twitter etc than a forum site with usernames and the anonymity if that was your motivation but I doubt any players have that interest anyway.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

I'll go in and bat for Banfield who has a role as a midfield beast and great stopper but hasn't been used to shut down players since his debut year in 2008. Only 22 and he could have won a couple of games for us in this role this year and last.

In a rebuild Banfield needs to be more than a stopper. The big plus for him is attitude and in that he reminds me of deBoer. I’d prefer to debut Valente than put Banfield in the middle.

I haven’t been vocal about it but I think Conca is important to us. And I also like the way Duman is developing. The gnashing of teeth over Duman and Hughes is ridiculous especially in the context of our only KPD being Logue who hasn’t played 30 games yet.

I don’t really think Fredericks is a realistic option for Duman when we are undersized in defence. For Colyer, sure he’d be an option.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Conca did a good job on Sexton and was an important part of a good team defensive effort against Adelaide, until he got injured.It's just his disposal sometimes that's a bit concerning and the indecision that seems to cause.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
This whole generation of players grew up in the social media age, you're kidding yourself if you don't think a fair amount of them and family members would regular sites like facebook, twitter, reddit, bigfooty. This isn't some small underground discussion group, it's the biggest AFL forum on the web.
It's easy to say 'just don't read it' from the outside, but I think most people in their shoes would want to know what fans think about them.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
The one I chatted to was actaully quite upset. It was the family of an interstate recruit and he said they had all become Freo supporters. They relied on BF for information about training and Peel as the player was (at that time) not playing firsts regularly. He could not believe the level of anger directed at a kid trying to make his way in a tough game a long way from home.

Welcome to the nrw world, where everyone has a "right" to tear down others in complete anonymity.

Back