Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs. Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This post will be long.

Positives:

Barass - My god we have a player, the courage to back himself, the knowledge of when to spoil, the flowing locks, the disposal efficiency. He is the perfect defender. I feel bad for Emac though.

Shepard - He's a high flyer deep down, but he loves the spoil. Comes in from 18 deep and still gets the ball on his fist. His dash was awesome out of the backline and late in the game he was still going HAM

Schofield - Played a great defensive role, was the last man on the goal line a number of times and didn't try anything fancy, just smashed it through, great closing speed and beautiful chemistry with the others.

Gov - See Barass, except sometimes goes for marks instead of spoils, usually pays off though.

Hurn - We basically have the best kick in set ups in the league. It's all because of this absolute weapon. It creates goals plain and simple and releases pressure.

Wellingham - Great attack on the ball but his disposal seemed off today, a lot of weird kicks that didn't make a lot of sense. His ground ball hunting was awesome though.

Priddis - That handball ratio is good and his tackles and balls won from an non advantageous position is sublime. He held the ball so well in traffic and his arms could not be pinned, his pickups from ground level were only matched by Gaff

Gaff - Is there a better runner in the AFL? Combines running prowess with great knowledge of the game, his first grab play under immense pressure was the difference between so many of our forward thrusts becoming ball ups, he impacted hugely and his vision was first class. Arguably our bravest player with Shep, he has been smashed in the head and still goes crashing through contests as well as back with the flight!

Shuey - The damage per possession of this man is through the roof. He is inside and outside in perfect balance and has every weapon any AFL player could ever want. His tackling technique is matched only by Priddis and maybe Cripps

JK - Our bearded god, arguably the best Forward in the competition. He's got his set shot kicking sorted out and his hands are better than ever, the bloke never puts his head down and gives up. He's also a great field kick.

Darling - Started so horribly but took a leaf out of JK's book and just kept going, then it all turned around. Really turned the game in the end with crucial marks and goals.

Lecras - So dangerous as a forward roaming the ground, he actually gets more touches as a forward than he does as a midfield and although he missed some set shots, his field kicking and first grabs below his knees were back to their best and he seemed to be relishing the defensive stuff. He looks like he cares more in the back half of the year and we need him.

Hutchings - Is borderline best 22 but I think he's best 22. Manages to pop up for a goal, he can tackle and can always switch to a shutdown role. Unfortunately he has some negatives as well.

Ruck combo - Mostly Giles here, but perhaps we're just a better team with 2 ruckmen. Lycett copped aknee knock and Giles took over big time, took marks forward as well as down back and could be the hero that West Coast need

Handballing - Seemed overdone at times, but this was amazing for the most part, stemming from clean first grabs, the whole game revolves around this clean use, especially for a team like ours with some good runners.

Negatives:

Yeo - Disposal is poor, decision making is even worse. He has so many good attributes but he doesn't seem to be utilising them at all.

Masten - Only just a negative, I appreciate his enormous pressure release running, but while everyone else today flicked off handballs with ease he seemed to do it in situations where it wasn't required. Also needs to learn he can't fend off. Hutchings as well, these two always get caught holding the ball.

Lycett - Purely for those times he thinks he's a midfielder, needs to dish off quicker at times

Jetta - Same as last week, just faded big time late, doesn't look fit but he does look dangerous when he gets the ball.

Hill - Has been down for a while, really want to believe he'll be back to his best but in a weird way I feel our forward chemistry has been at its best lately, despite him playing poorly. As we saw last year though, all of JK, Lecca, Cripps, Hill and JD can work together.

Last edited:
A lot of positives tonight.
Means the negatives really stood out.
Hill was poor, Yeo went missing, Jetta looked good but didn't get involved too often, Wellingham bombed the ball a lot and second guessed himself and Darling's kicking for goal is concerning. Indifferent game from LeCras but everyone else was excellent.

I want to congratulate Adam Simpson for comprehensively outcoaching Don Pyke.

Our performances against Geelong showed us that their gameplan is completely effective against us, and we have no counter for it. You rolled out their plan to perfection and, predictably, we were putrid.

So good to see that instinctive, one touch footy return. The way we were running the ball out of the backline through chain of handballs and then setting up forward entries time and time agan was a thing of beauty.

Also, so ******* glad to see all of our midfield going in hard and fighting for the contested ball like maniacs. Pure joy to watch.

Oh and just quietly..Sheppard is raising his game again just in time for finals. Also, Simmo is a genius.

Wow just wow. Inspired stuff.

Firstly, Giles take a bow, you were amazing and completely clowned Jacobs.
Secondly, our defence that took us to the Grand Final is back! Most of the goals they had scored were from the slingshot or a couple out of the very few centre clearances they actually won. Barass, would bat for the other team for you. Mcgovern, killing it as always. Wellingham, Shep, Butler, Schoey all doing their parts too. Seriously did they even lose a 1 on 1?

Speaking of winning centre clearances, our midfield absolutely crushed theirs. I know its fashionable to pot our mids but those guys are amazing. The reason they've struggled is because Shuey Priddis and Gaff never get any support. But with Sheed back to his best and Hutch contributing, everything seems to be clicking. Shuey. You ARE an A-Grader. Priddis, there's a reason you're a brownlow medallist. Gaff, you deserve a Brownlow too.

Kennedy. 2x Coleman Medallist coming right up. The rest of the team was great too but Im sure everyones aware of it.

Negatives - Darling's goal kicking! He could've realistically had 5-6 goals. Kennedy certainly wouldve slotted most of those.
Jetta started strong with 2 early sublime kicks but faded very quickly.

Let's write history and win the premiership from 5th or 6th or wherever.

a big congrats to you all. this is some footy team, and as a dogs fan it's been tough to watch you go into powerhouse mode at this time of the year. Great team, great win, absolutely scary. I think you can win the flag i just hope we're not one of the victims along the way (although the odds are saying we will be)

Positives
The team has clicked and probably the best form in the comp. If we were top 4 we'd be a good shot at the flag
Giles stepped up
JK takes the Coleman
Midfield great
Barrass inpenetrable

Negatives
A few guys like Yeo and Hill quiet. I wouldnt drop anyone though because the team we have now is getting it done and they can provide x factor

Just a side note. That's win is a big **** you to all the negative nancies that said we had no hope and were going to get done by 10 goals. And to the others that said Giles was a poor selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of positives tonight.
Means the negatives really stood out.
Hill was poor, Yeo went missing, Jetta looked good but didn't get involved too often, Wellingham bombed the ball a lot and second guessed himself and Darling's kicking for goal is concerning. Indifferent game from LeCras but everyone else was excellent.
Thought everything he did prior to disposing was awesome, he let himself down massively with some kicks, some were just blind around corners and fell into Crows' hands.

Forgot to mention Sheed, awesome to see him get some touch, looks composed and in control. I hope he trusts his pectoral muscle enough to tackle hard, seems to be stand offish in tackles (but maybe I'm reading too much into it)

Positive: massive lulz reading this in Crows game day thread:

I thought this game was an absolute disgrace. My reasons are as follows. I believe that Adelaide was paid by corrupt betting agencies to lose the game. It just does not make sense that WC a struggling second rate side, could beat Adelaide, in adelaide. The Adelaide players are an absolute corrupt disgrace and an investigation should be made. Their efforts were pathetic, they threw the game. no effort. walker is an absoulte disgrace. shame on you and the rest of those who conspired with you.

They were paid to lose this game. Shame on the corrupt betting agencies that paid Adelaide to lose this game. absolute disgrace. the afl has to investigate this rubbish and blight on the game. terrible, disgusting. no i did not bet on adelaide to win, as i am not a betting man. shame on the Adelaide football club for throwing this game. an absolute disgrace... garbage city and garbage club. same as snowtown. rubbish...

+ Giles , Gaff , Priddis, Barrass (overdue for a RS nom) , Kennedy ( 2 hands on the Coleman!) , Sheed , Shuey et al. Too many to name . HM to Darling for continuing to try /turning around his yips
Heart! Even the final margin (even if it flattered Adelaide , being 29 points - the exact margin we lost to them by earlier in the year was fitting!)

- Lycett getting a knock (gave me a huge scare), the ramifications for Adelaide who are my second best team /the team I was hoping would go all the way if our season officially ended (eased a little by their junk time goals /salvaging of some %)

Over the moon right now :)

GO NORTH and PIES

I was at the game tonight and i cannot understate how good Tom barrass was tonight, his ability to read the ball in flight is exceptional and i will be stunned if he does earn an all Australian Guernsey before his career is over. He was truly exceptional. Will add a more detailed list later when i am sober

+ve
  • Hard at the ball and clean under pressure. Our midfield looked first rate tonight.
  • Even performance across the team bar a couple.
  • Barrass. Long may he and Gov reign.
  • Giles had a great game.
  • Kennedy and Darling clunking marks for fun.
  • My god does Sheed make us look better in the middle, even underdone. Seems to have more time than others and makes great decisions.
-ve
  • Where was this form earlier in the year? May have left our run too late.
  • Inaccurate in front of goal. Should have buried them.

I had a tough day in the real word so this just gave me something to smile about

No negatives .....our best win thus year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back