Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide

Look I'm glad for your obsession with me but maybe you should focus on other things...like you know...how hickey is your love child.

Like you admitted twice today he's not a great ruckman and yet you use stats to try and state otherwise even against your own argument.

Just let it go...he's not a great ruckman, you know it, I know it, saints knew it, the footy world knows it.

I know he’s not a great ruckman. I’ve never said he was. You’ve never said he was. Nobody thinks he is.

He is a very good kick on goal. He had a bad miss today but when you’re kicking at 78% on the year and kick your first behind 16 games in, knocking goal kicking seems strange.

Like I said, sink the boots into Hickey, I couldn’t give a *, just make it about something that isn’t painfully obviously false.

It’s like criticising Andrew Gaff because he doesn’t cover enough ground, or Jeremy McGovern because he can’t intercept mark, or the #1 scoring team for not being able to score when Josh Kennedy plays.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Look I'm glad for your obsession with me but maybe you should focus on other things...like you know...how hickey is your love child.

Like you admitted twice today he's not a great ruckman and yet you use stats to try and state otherwise even against your own argument.

Just let it go...he's not a great ruckman, you know it, I know it, saints knew it, the footy world knows it.
Sage advice, you should try it yourself sometime.(Just let it go)

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
+ beat a team playing desperately for their season
+ JD - enough said
+ Willie ditto for JD

- i50s - need to tidy these up
- JK - our players looking to hit him up instead go going for goal probably cost us 5 goals
- our backs still look a bit rusty

To be fair the vast majority of i50s were total garbage. Either long bombs to packs on landed on forwards heads.

bunkyboy

Club Legend
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives:

Made to really earn the four points by a desperate side.

Put on awesome pressure and tackles in the second half.

Negatives:

Shonky delivery inside 50 and at times casual/wasteful in front of goal.

Period in the second when we were destroyed in the ruck, clearances and stoppages.

Kennedy - struggled
Sheppard - rare off game
Cripps - 11 touches and no goals

Negative
-Inside 50 efficiency
-Kennedy is looking a shadow of his former self
-Mids were out worked at the clearances by the Crouch brothers

Positive
-Allen and Waterman stepped up for us big time
-Darling continues to be the man for us up forward
-Was a good finals warm up with the intensity out there

I think we need to drop a tall down back IMO, sides are using the chaos tactic more and more and with us being less mobile we are being scored against easily

Who was Hutchings tagging today?

Nobody. Played the wing. Baffling. 16 touches and eight marks so mustn’t have been too bad but I deadset think I saw him twice.

Frustrating that both Crouches went ballistic though.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Negative:
-waste of a game should have won by 40+
-Kennedy struggling with the pace of the game
-eagles consistently get 2-4 goals up and go to sleep thinking the games win
-Hickey.....would to God Simpson had started playing Williams or brooksby earlier in the season because we get maybe 1 good quarter from hickey per game.
He's going to cost us in finals against quality ruckmen. Poor disposals generally from him as well as poor kicking on goal.

Positives
-win and 4 points
-oallen is a future champion and was worth taking him.
-Darling

Eagleboy68 is the Hickster your new scapegoat? I thought that was Masten.

HickGod is so much better than you give him credit for. I know stats aren't everything, but as HoneyBadger35 put it, what you said is blantently false - actually, HickGod is having something close to a career best season this year.

I'm not sure if we're actually watching the same game, because I honestly don't see how the Hickster is anything but, at the very least, the GOAT.

Last edited:

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
We do seem to keep getting rebounding teams. Sides that have played s**t for a number of weeks but use us as motivation to turn it around.

Can’t discount how much Adelaide wanted to win today.. pushing for finals.. away from home.. reigning premier. I know a lot were predicting a hammering but 1. We don’t do that often even on our best day and 2. Everyone always turns up to play against the reigning champs. We held them pretty comfortably at bay for most of the day and deserved the win in the end. If we win 5 more games by 10 points, I’m not going to be too fussed :p

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Hickey had a poor game but anyone who thinks that he is terrible and that we should replace him as soon as we can need to think that we traded him for pick 39 AND upgraded our 4th rounder, all whilst offloading lycett for pick 22.

And Hickey has been far better this season then lycett has.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
+ Waterman
+ Oallen
+ Jack ‘The King’ Darling
+ Adelaide played their Grand Final today, they threw everything they had at us and then some, and we got the points
+ Willie in the middle
+ first footy game watched in 4K was glorious
+ ice cold Elsie in the freezer
+ Yeo’s double effort leading to Ryan’s goal
+ Nelson is on the undercard for the next UFC bout
+ home made pizza for dinner * yeah

- our forward line didn’t function at all today
- so many cheap goals
- hutch shouldn’t be in the team if he isn’t tagging
- JK looked off
- Hickey, that shank, my god
- new local botlle’o doesn’t sell single fin so I have to settle for elsie

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
A win is always better than losing, it just seems to me it's not the same quality as last year, far too many flat periods in the game, we cannot afford to do that in finals and i hope like hell we are pacing ourselves.

I find it astonishing Hickey is getting bagged, even at his peak Nic struggled against big Sauce, who else in our list who was available today that would have troubled him, Hickey has been good for us this year, some of his work when the ball is on the deck is fantastic.

JK i'm refusing to put him in the negatives, the reality for him is time is catching up to him, people talking about poor delivery are right but in the past he was able to get to the spots he needed to compensate for that, he struggles with that more often than not. I've said it before players in our club hit the wall quickly, it has happened over our existence for most players, our players generally hit the wall around 10 seasons. The travel factor cannot be ignored, plus add the way he has played as a key forward over time, he has constantly crashed the packs that adds k's to your body, plus he has been a rare bird for a forward in the chasing and tackling pressure he has put on. Sure he had a cracker against the Kangas, but for me those will be a lot less now. He has to stay in the team for now, as he takes the best defender, which allows JD off the leash.

Positives

Willie- Some of things he does on the ground is crazy, he seems a step ahead of every one else when he has the ball in hand.
Yeo- His team mates should all made to sit down and watch his work during the games, it might inspire them to go as hard as he does, so many tackles and 2nd efforts, the things that make a difference in the game.
JD- Just elite, started the season slowly, but easily our No 1 forward now.
Jake & Oscar - We have our key forwards for the future in these two, both work harder than people realise.

Negatives

Centre clearance & stoppage work is below average at the moment, if our ruck man is getting beaten, then man up at the contest and make it a bit harder for them. Our back line can only do so much when it's coming down that easy

We do seem to keep getting rebounding teams. Sides that have played s**t for a number of weeks but use us as motivation to turn it around.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. When you’re the reigning premier, you’re a target. When you’re in the top four, you’re a target.

When you’re both, you’re every team’s biggest opportunity to make a statement.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Negative: I think this is around the forth time now this season that simmo has not given Hutchings a role. Isn't it blatantly obvious that he offers nothing if he isn't tagging? I don't understand the thinking behind it.

Bringing Hutch in to replace masto and play the same role seems strange. If he's in, he probably has to tag someone.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Good to get the 4 points
Oscar and Jakey hitting the scoreboard is very promising when JK is not finding the ball ..

Bad ;
Hurn learn the rules , that goal is way too easy to give up ..
Umps
wasted inside 50 kicks ...

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Hutchings offers very little when he isn't tagging. Masten is better at covering space and being the release option.

Personally I would swap the two unless Hutchings is given a clearly defined role (Prestia?)

JK was a liability today and the reality is this will happen more and more, we just have to hope there is more good than bad left

china eagle

Senior List
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty entertaining game I thought. very tough contest around the ball in the second half, yeo shuey and Hickey very good CP today. If they had flinched in the second half we would have lost the game. Good win, cant wait until next week, should be a cracka!

+JD caught everything
+ Willie had a day out
+Barrass I thought played his best game since coming back, bodes well.
+ O Allen is silk
+ Crippa back

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Positives : Wins are wins and it wasn’t a bad performance against a desperate outfit.
Hickey was good as was Rioli.

Negatives : not to much but our forward entries are very one dimensional the bulk of the time, we just bomb it in hoping JK or JD Mark it, JK should be furious with some of the delivery. We need to break the defence up more by spreading better when we lead.

Back