Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Just getting the job done!

If you had a win like this amidst a few losses, you'd be asking serious questions. Not pretty, not perfect, not entirely flashy.

But nope, we just keep ticking off the wins, doing what needs to be done. Again, and again.

It was definitely an interesting one though; I dunno if the Crows have used the ball any better this year than they did tonight. They had a clear plan to counter our strengths, and were pretty successful. They cleared the ball, maintained possession, lowered the eyes instead of bombing down the line, locked down our forward line. They tackled and pressured well. Despite all of that, we were raining down inside 50s. Weird game.

The opposition had a plan to counter us, it worked, we didn't play particularly well, still won.

Games like this I really feel like we have the tools to take on any side.

Was at the game, umpiring was s**t. Seems a directive to try let it play whenever they want it's such an unprofessional standard.

Allen and Darling were great, Jetta had some awesome kicks but didn't get it much. Barrass looked good, Gov had some good marks, Waterman's leads were spot on.

Yeo should have kicked a goal, Hickey also, a few gettable goals went missing and that's why it was tight. Poor conversion. Poor i50 kicks as well.

Didn't notice Hutch at all, couldn't see a tag at any point which was stupid. Will watch the replay sometime during the week to properly assess but Darling and Allen can hold their heads high. Darling's defensive work was huge let alone the rest.

Interesting stat popped up on the AFL text commentary that we changed our play on percentage in the 2nd half.

We were running at 38% play on from a mark in the first half, to 4% in the 3rd.

I think we tried to outrun the crows with speed but that isn’t how we play normally and I think we didn’t adjust to it all that well. The crows may lack leg speed but they would be pretty used to sides trying that tactic and how to defend against it.

Bank the 4 points, roll on to next Sunday against the tigers. The crows came with a plan, which we will need to review as other sides will try it also.

On the plus side, Our forward pressure is exceptional at the minute. Really exceptional to see them all work together.

As for Hutch, I suspect it’s between him & Masto for that running midfielder role- which can mean racking up the k’s without much reward. Why we didn’t change that around when Crouch was getting on top was surprising, though.

Pretty high intensity game that one, finals-like with some great field kicking from both sides. We were bang on our average of 73% while Adelaide were 76% for the match (season average 71%). They threw the kitchen sink at us and couldn't get it done. Good tune up. If we're good enough, we'll make top 2. We're good enough to win it from 3rd/4th anyway.

We do seem to keep getting rebounding teams. Sides that have played s**t for a number of weeks but use us as motivation to turn it around.

Can’t discount how much Adelaide wanted to win today.. pushing for finals.. away from home.. reigning premier. I know a lot were predicting a hammering but 1. We don’t do that often even on our best day and 2. Everyone always turns up to play against the reigning champs. We held them pretty comfortably at bay for most of the day and deserved the win in the end. If we win 5 more games by 10 points, I’m not going to be too fussed :p
The result was about what I expected - anyone who thought we were going to give Adelaide a thrashing are just being delusional, particularly with Adelaide fighting for a place in the 8. They gave it everything they had, and we were very wasteful going forward, got a bit cute at times, so hopefully Simmo & Co will address this during the week.

Not sure how we will go next week with Richmond's style of chaos play. We will need to be on our toes if we want a win.

- no dangerous calls.
Barrass got dangerous done to him twice with no call. :think:

+ Oscar Allen. Gun forward and isn't being shamed as a second ruck.
Often we've lost so much momentum when our second stringer has a run but Allen has contested well against Goldstein, Gawn & Jacobs and wins plenty of times against Oppo 2nd ruck.

+ or - the use of Hutch..
For him to tag Matt Crouch would require Yeo, Shuey, Sheed & Redden out of the middle and they were all playing well & winning enough of the ball.
Add that Hutch has tagged at Half Back for a few games, we seem to be trending for less C.B.A for him (centre bounce attendances)

Hutch is only really effective tagging outside types. Not sure who he goes to against Richmond. Edwards maybe? They don’t rely on one outside mid given how their swarm

Interesting stat popped up on the AFL text commentary that we changed our play on percentage in the 2nd half.

We were running at 38% play on from a mark in the first half, to 4% in the 3rd.

I think we tried to outrun the crows with speed but that isn’t how we play normally and I think we didn’t adjust to it all that well. The crows may lack leg speed but they would be pretty used to sides trying that tactic and how to defend against it.

Bank the 4 points, roll on to next Sunday against the tigers. The crows came with a plan, which we will need to review as other sides will try it also.

On the plus side, Our forward pressure is exceptional at the minute. Really exceptional to see them all work together.

As for Hutch, I suspect it’s between him & Masto for that running midfielder role- which can mean racking up the k’s without much reward. Why we ldidn’t change that around when Crouch was getting on top was surprising, though.

That first half and instinctive play on style took me back to last year. Havent seen much of it this year. Felt like our Prelim against Melb.
It would have worked against Adelaide in the first half if we managed to convert our inside 50s into goals. We should have been 30+ points in front.

But we kept letting them back in.

We have another gear to go to. Need to tighten up a few things. But this week will really show us where we are at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, who's gunna pip Oscar Allen for a rising star nomination this week?

Assuming like always that the judges are ignoring consistent team players, in favour of those who put in flashy games here and there.

Narkle perhaps? Fogarty? Both playing their first game for the season, so lock one of them in.
Lock in fogarty with 5 goals. Nominations go to those who excel in the key stat for their position.

Maybe I'm on drugs, but honestly I thought that was a pretty impressive win. Adelaide were playing like a top eight calibre team in an elimination final. They threw everything they had us and, despite the margin, I never felt like the game was out of our keeping. The intensity (Yeo, Redden, I love you both) was high, the skills were broadly good (Willie, my heart is yours). Granted our forward entries were garbage and we're leaking too much out the back (Hutch for Cole if no tag?), but on the whole I thought it was a good tune up.

Maybe I'm on drugs, but honestly I thought that was a pretty impressive win. Adelaide were playing like a top eight calibre team in an elimination final. They threw everything they had us and, despite the margin, I never felt like the game was out of our keeping. The intensity (Yeo, Redden, I love you both) was high, the skills were broadly good (Willie, my heart is yours). Granted our forward entries were garbage and we're leaking too much out the back (Hutch for Cole if no tag?), but on the whole I thought it was a good tune up.

Agreed. Once it was clear Adelaide had seriously turned up to play and we weren't going to get a big percentage boost, I was able to enjoy the game. Thought we kept them at arms length really well.

Agree people are reading into the whole game style Adelaide brought to combat ours too much...........I mean doesnt every team do that ?

What I saw was a side cracking in like their season was on the line !!

Good tough honest football with a skillful element to it !!

That was an intense game, played at finals level and in so many ways, we played really well. We just didn't finish off with goals and they were exceptionally efficient. We looked the better team all day and got the win. Can't complain too much with that.

Positives:
- JD and Rioli were exceptional.
- Yeo was a beast and someone needs to make a gif of that tackle he did in the centre in the 3rd or 4th where he smashed the Adelaide player. Magic. If it was NN, the weight differential would get him rubbed out.
- OAllen and Waterman had really good games.

Negatives 725078 :
- Hutch was pretty pointless (although not a terrible game) but if he isn't tagging then he shouldn't be in the team. Masten plays the link up space covering role better. That said, Hutch should have been tagging and there were plenty of options he could have gone to and he should be in the team and he should be TAGGING.
- JK doesn't look right. I realise time is catching up but he is giving up on chases he never would have before and seems despondent at times. He is obviously struggling but I have faith. Whilst his body is obviously aging, I think it is more form than being unable to do it anymore.
- I am going to criticise Gaff again for one bit of play that annoyed me but his game overall was its usual high level gut running self and he is a great player for us. I can't remember what quarter but he was in our defence and could have gone straight at the ball to stop Adelaide running on to it (Tex I think) and Gaff would have got to the ball first and made a contest. He hung back waiting for the Adelaide player to pick it up so he could corral/tackle but he didn't impact the contest at all and bang, Adelaide goal. Maybe I just need to accept that isn't the way some players play/his role and they do other stuff so well (i.e. provide an outside outlet) because of that... But it still annoys me.

Agree, postgame and emotions -it was a really intense game with pressure and tackling, finals like. They did their homework on us, in all areas. Their defence was damn good, as was the young 5 goaler (Ferguson?) what a kick he's got. Will watch again during the week. It was a good tune-up for the Tigers, with that intensity-much better than coming off a blowout game. Just need more polish in extracting and finishing off- lots of perceived pressure. There's certainly a buzz building for the Tigers game!

+ Schofield and Thumper commentate the WAFL on Saturday, with Hamish Brayshaw having a fresh air handball in the last quarter - see 2:26:30 or so.

Schoey in the AFL on Sunday: Hamish, hold my beer.

+Good grinding win.Finals aren't gunna get any easier.
+Hickey works like a Trojan
+JD is almost impossible to stop one on one.
+Rioli? Ahhhh Rioli.
+OAllen the Golden Child.
+Sheed and Reddan seem to lift in the 2nd half -

-Shuey not great with some of his disposal
-Watermans body language and second efforts
-Umpires it is possible for Yo to monster people without it being an automatic free

Remove this Banner Ad

Back