Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been travelling and haven't had a chance to watch a replay until today. I just watched the Hurn deliberate rushed behind in the 3rd. One thing that really annoyed me was the commentators banging on about how it definitely had to be paid because he was more than 9 metres away and that physical pressure didn't count as a reason to rush anymore. I actually looked up the rule and it quite clearly says that it is paid unless the player "is under immediate physical pressure". Given two Adelaide players were within 2 metres of him, I think it's pretty safe to say that the ump stuffed that call up big time and that the commentators don't know s**t.

I've been travelling and haven't had a chance to watch a replay until today. I just watched the Hurn deliberate rushed behind in the 3rd. One thing that really annoyed me was the commentators banging on about how it definitely had to be paid because he was more than 9 metres away and that physical pressure didn't count as a reason to rush anymore. I actually looked up the rule and it quite clearly says that it is paid unless the player "is under immediate physical pressure". Given two Adelaide players were within 2 metres of him, I think it's pretty safe to say that the ump stuffed that call up big time and that the commentators don't know s**t.
It's a stupid rule anyway. Nobody rushes it through unless they are actually under pressure.

It's a stupid rule anyway. Nobody rushes it through unless they are actually under pressure.
It isn't a stupid rule but people forget why it was put in place. Joel Bowden wandered around in the back line before running back to the safety of the line and handballing it through, then doing it again rather than risking a turnover from the kick in. The rule is pretty much only there to be used to stop players from wasting time. I guess the funny thing is though when you look at the footage, Bowden was technically under pressure both times.

It isn't a stupid rule but people forget why it was put in place. Joel Bowden wandered around in the back line before running back to the safety of the line and handballing it through, then doing it again rather than risking a turnover from the kick in. The rule is pretty much only there to be used to stop players from wasting time. I guess the funny thing is though when you look at the footage, Bowden was technically under pressure both times.

Yes. That was my point.

Fair enough, though I still think the rule has its uses. It might confuse the punters now and then but if the alternative is players running down the clock because it's completely legal I'm very much against that.
Yes, I agree. I really meant to say that the wording of the rule could be better.

Ideally you simply have a blanket rule for anything knocked over from 9 metres out, or directly from kick-ins.

Yes, I agree. I really meant to say that the wording of the rule could be better.

Ideally you simply have a blanket rule for anything knocked over from 9 metres out, or directly from kick-ins.
How would the AFL be able to do what they like and reverse engineer umpiring decisions if the rule was clearly written though?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back