Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is not giving Adelaide any credit. The amount of time their players went hard at the ground ball while ours pull out. They tackle better than we do. They ping our arms to stop the handball release while we tackle around the waist making it easy to handball.
Disagree with your Sheed assement as he was well tagged today but agree with this. Most here are viewing this game through the prism of Crows being absolute shizen. But they werent, they were very committed to the contest today and brought a lot of pressure, something Hawks and Dockers didnt.
Not enough credit to the crows for limiting our win to 5.goals IMO

Just got back from the game and I must say even though we won that was a poor performance

Percentage opportunity gone our backline is just too slow no dare or dash ...we take too long to get it into our jet forward line

Sorry but unless something changes and the players coming back smash it I just cannot see how we can a flag ....5th again for me

Really disappointed with the lack of ruthlessness from the team....its not good enough and its cost us in the past and could again in the future :mad:

Solid W, 30 point win against Adelaide - they aren’t easy beats even without Tex.

I’m sure we all wanted the percentage boost but to me the boys looked pretty cooked out there by the last term.

Positives +

+ Darling went beserk and couldn't be stopped in the second quarter. Single handedly killed any Crows momentum in the second quarter. Was the difference of the game.
+ Nic Nat's service gold again. Linked up well, took some marks and made some great spoils. Smashed O'Brien in the ruck and got more disposals than him too, showed why ROB is overrated, also worked harder to reduce ROB's influence around the ground. Keeps the mids in play and helps make up for the loss of Shuey and Yeo.
+ Best game for Cripps this season. On games where he plays poorly, the effort is still there. But today he shown a lot of effort and his skills and decision making were great. Helped linked up down back to provide an extra outlet option and worked hard to get back forward where he can provide an extra target.
+ Witherden provided rebound down back and his kicking was good bar one that bit off more than he can chew which costed us a goal near the end. Will keep his spot once Bunga returns to provide extra rebound.
+ JK had another solid outing, was the correct decision to play him at the end as he took the best defender and allowed Darling to run riot since he's taking either the second or third tall. The most important thing is he didn't do that same calf.
+ Allen provided a strong contest in the air.
+ Kelly looked damaging with his disposals and feasted of some of Nic's taps which resulted in a clearance which our forwards scored.
+ Jones was really good with his pressure as he leads the team in pressure acts. Also linked up well down back also gave us an extra exit outlet and provided us extra speed in the midfield we needed. We're a more better pressure side with him in as I said for the past few weeks. He has to stay when Ryan comes back.
+ Pressure looked good at times.
+ Brander turned well and made some nice decisions, also helped the defense as well dropping back. Will be a gun in the future and show why we correctly picked him ahead of Allen.
+ Shep good as always. Defended well and provided some rebound.
+ Efficient F50 entries. They had 8 more inside 50s but we still won by five goals.
+ Another win get the four points. Another week comes closer before we get Shuey and Yeo back.

Meh =
Didn't play well to be a positive but didn't play badly to be a negative.

= Rotham, looked out of position at times but his exit kicks were decent.
= Waterman linked up well and kicked two nice goals but making the wrong decision could've costed us momentum. I feel he makes us too tall with JK, Allen, Darling and Williams in the side.
= Gaff was alright but some of his kicks didn't find a target.
= Redden was also average and didn't provide the mongrel we needed.
= Sheed wasn't at his best but was serviceable and improved as the game went on. I think he was tagged.
= Petch had a good outing, chased well but wished he can tackle more.
= Barrass looked lost in positioning but gotten better as the game went on, nice to see him kick forwards to an open man. His marking and defending got better as the game went on.
= Gov got caught out of position a few times but like Barrass, got better as the game went on and took some nice intercept marks when the Crows had momentum. That poor kick on the wing almost costed us momentum.
= Not being able to put the Crows away by a lot more. In the end, if we don't win enough games, that's when percentage will comeback to bite us back hard. Will the difference of having a chance at the flag form 4th or being eliminated from 5th. But then we're missing our top players like Shuey, Yeo, Ryan, Rioli, Duggan and Hurn so we should at least be happy with the win. The Crows are a decent side however and they upsetted Geelong.

Negatives -

- Nelson didn't have much impact. Just cannot break tackles when we needed him to.
- Cole looked average and gave up that 50m penalty. Him and Nelson has to go when Bunga and Duggan are fit again.
- We didn't look convincing at times, it felt the Crows were still in it.
- Bruise free footy, whenever the Crows went bruise mode then our mids struggle. We have to rely on Nic Nat at times to somewhat mitigate it. At the end we were -11 in contested possessions. It's bitten us hard against the Saints and against the Dogs and against the Cats as well. Whenever they play bruise free football we're on top as we execute better.
- Efficiency I50 is unsustainable, the Crows had more inside 50s but we still put them away by five goals. A better side will be more efficient and will score much more I50s against us.
- Some of our tackles were broken.
- Even with some players like Jones and Cripps providing exit outlets to rebound, we just don't have the urgency to rebound quickly which puts everyone under pressure and wastes the talent we have up forward. Soo much space on our F50 gone to waste with our slow rebound. Hopefully Bunga back will change this.
- AhChee went missing, he plays one good game and goes missing the next few weeks. With one great game against the Dees in R1 2020, it's no wonder he was gifted games in 2020.

Final thoughts.

The win was nice to have, Darling couldn't be stopped in the second quarter and Nic Nat smashed ROB in the ruck and beaten him around the ground. With out mids playing bruise free football and the Crows playing bruise mode footy, our mids struggled just like they did against the Bulldogs, Saints and Cats which meant the Crows are still in the game. Gov and Barrass looked lost for positioning but got better as the game went on, more games healthy will make them improve their position and their decision making on when to stay on a man and when to zone off. We're simply just too tall with Waterman in the side so as good as he's been , I'd say we replace him with a small but which small? Cameron who's done almost nothing in the WAFL, well he maybe replaced once Yeo is fit. Next week is a danger game imo as the Giants play bruise mode footy which doesn't sit well with our mids preferring bruise free footy.

Sheed is a terrible CBD player. The amount of time when ball goes to him, he just stand there pushing into his opponent. He’s so flat footed. He couldn’t even grab the ball and handball it.

I think that’s a really off the mark call there. Sheed’s centre clearance numbers are terrific and his involvement in and under is certainly better than described, in my eyes.

+ve Darlings brainfarts even resulted in goals today.
-ve Anyone critisising Cole today has never played in the backline. Was very impressive with his pressure and composure. His best game for the year and was royally ****ed in the arse twice by Margetts the fluoro campaigner.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel we were robbed of percentage today, umpiring was a joke. Worst I've seen in any game this season.

- Darling was called for a block in the first quarter, fair enough it was soft but there. Second quarter McAdam does the same thing to Barrass and Thilthorpe Mark's uncontested, no problem all good. You have to be consistent.
- 50m vs Cole, he took half a step over and ump pinged him straight away. Every game this year, I hear the ump even through the TV say back a metre. Cole got no such warning, everyone else does.

There were 3 other moments I can't quite recall now, that I lost my shiite at and 10 more I gave the you can't be serious! We absolutely copped it today from the umps.
I have to agree. They were terrible.

Maybe a couple of the three? Petruccelle - clear mark 30m out directly in front, called play on. Q4 - Adelaide 5-6 metre kick for a 'mark' that led to an easy shot on goal (taken).

Some of you miserable bastards, far out. We had a comfortable win against a team with a good midfield unit who cracked in hard with tons of pressure, amidst some of the most questionable umpiring we've seen all year (on both sides mind you, the trash was universal).

We had a consistent four quarter effort, despite the higher-than-usual rate that mistakes were being made. Effort was top notch, that's my first big positive.

Secondly just loving the s**t out of watching Brander continue to build. Working to all the right places, getting involved helping out defense, orchestrating some beautiful attacking runs. Just casually spinning through a few campaigners at the back of the square. He's starting to realise how much stronger he is than most other AFL players out there. Just trying this s**t on for size and it fits.

After some of the truly woeful quarters of footy we've put out this year, hell I'd have been stoked with just 4 quarter effort and watching Brander. Getting the win and a massive Darling quarter is icing on the cake.

Some of you miserable bastards, far out. We had a comfortable win against a team with a good midfield unit who cracked in hard with tons of pressure, amidst some of the most questionable umpiring we've seen all year (on both sides mind you, the trash was universal).

We had a consistent four quarter effort, despite the higher-than-usual rate that mistakes were being made. Effort was top notch, that's my first big positive.

Secondly just loving the sh*t out of watching Brander continue to build. Working to all the right places, getting involved helping out defense, orchestrating some beautiful attacking runs. Just casually spinning through a few campaigners at the back of the square. He's starting to realise how much stronger he is than most other AFL players out there. Just trying this sh*t on for size and it fits.

After some of the truly woeful quarters of footy we've put out this year, hell I'd have been stoked with just 4 quarter effort and watching Brander. Getting the win and a massive Darling quarter is icing on the cake.
can see brander having a breakout game soon with +25 possessions, +10 marks and +3 goals.

Solid W, 30 point win against Adelaide - they aren’t easy beats even without Tex.

I’m sure we all wanted the percentage boost but to me the boys looked pretty cooked out there by the last term.

We always look cooked in the last term...in fact we are one of the worst sides in the comp for the 4th quarter

the game for us can be just described by Darling's performance. It was set up in that second quarter by Jack and both the club and Jack left a lot of goals on the board. We needed a +50 win and Jack probably looked at a 7 goal game

Positive

I’m pretty sure in the last quarter I saw Brander surrounded by 18 Adelaide players and he sort of shimmered and teleported 10m out of the scrimmage. Didn’t know he had such magical abilities.

+ We won
+ Darling
+ Petch starting to string some form together

- Once again failing to address the percentage issue
- Midfield had their colours lowered by a bottom 4 side
- Kelly still drifts in and out of games
- General laziness in the playing group
I dont think you really have much of a clue about football. percentage issue?? So we should win every game by a percentage booster? Kelly drifts in and out ?? So he should dominate every qtr. You are lacking intelligence about the way the game is played these days. Pull your head out of your arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back