Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I said it during the game and I will say it again:

When the guy who is about to retire is the one trying to drag his team over the line single handedly, there is a massive problem

I get there were other players that "tried", but its serious indictment that Josh Kennedy was best on ground. The people around him should be stepping up to try to get him the victory, as opposed to Josh trying to kick himself to his own victory

Best of luck in retirement Josh, you are a legend and you will be sorely missed
He is the focal point if our attack. The players kicked to him so we could win. Its not like JK was going down the ground getting the ball himself.

Ryan also hit up JK 4 or 5 times but whatever.
The dud kick went were he wanted it to, the player didn't run to where he expected him too.
utensil up but he had a good game.
It was just a frustrating moment, as we were struggling to get the ball into the forwardline at the time. He was running toward the 50 uncontested and usually hits a target. Had a good game, just a poor moment

Just want to say what an amazing performance by Kennedy. JK is a champion and his performance today encapsulated what a great player he is.
Reads the game so well, a no fuss player who was so consistent over such a long time. The beard can retire with his head held high.

Barass ain't half bad either.

Just want to say what an amazing performance by Kennedy. JK is a champion and his performance today encapsulated what a great player he is.
Reads the game so well, a no fuss player who was so consistent over such a long time. The beard can retire with his head held high.

Barass ain't half bad either.

All australian for me ....hope he at least gets in the squad had a great year

Neg-
Front to back, it's a shambles. The midfield is the real shocker for me. Week in and week out, we rarely have a midfielder raise their effort and be competitive or set the tone. It's shocking that a young player like Culley came in and wowed us with his competitive effort and clean hands in the contest.

It's painful to watch JK at his age still carrying the team. Farewell champ.

The state of AFL umpiring is nearly bringing the game into disrepute. Even as a neutral watching other games it's atrocious. Zero consistency or accountability.

Pos-
Nic Nat, Barrass, Jones, Xav and JKK did the team and crowd proud today. The rest flapped about with miss placed energy while the Crows were cleaner and sharper. Can anyone explain how our fundamental skills have regressed so much?

The season is nearly done. Loss hurts more because a hero left.

EPL season starts and Arsenal won away at Palace.

Loved JK and Cripps games.

Jones and XON had some really good moments.

Shuey disappointed with some errors at crucial times.

Williams disappoints in so many ways, really hope he improves because that was bad.

Barrass is the best FB in the game.

Berry killed us in the middle.

Overall we just had too many dumb decisions or skill errors under no pressure, even players who are generally skilled like Rioli were missing uncontested kicks, it was a bit sloppy and they made us pay.

Loved the defensive efforts, Redden, XON, Cripps, Naitanui, Ryan, Rioli, Darling and Jones with massive tackles at different points of the game. We actually looked like a physically strong team at points.

Unfortunately the polish was missing on offence in key moments, but still good signs overall.

Don't agree with the Duggan call. Loads of long term injuries and deserves a preseason. But yeah otherwise. What the hell happened to Gaffs run and carry?
I personally believe Gaff is playing injured which is not doing anybody any favours! I’ve noticed him hobbling around at times like an old man - and I believe that’s why he’s not playing on the wing as a run and carry as at the moment he’s not up to it - that’s how I read things anyway.

I personally believe Gaff is playing injured which is not doing anybody any favours! I’ve noticed him hobbling around at times like an old man - and I believe that’s why he’s not playing on the wing as a run and carry as at the moment he’s not up to it - that’s how I read things anyway.
That and the absolute lack of players in the 2's pushing for selection

I dont think guys like waterman and.williams are good enough for AFL. Both miss simple goals.

Not sure about foley either.

Edwards... probably too young to make the call but its heading to be another bust like petch.

Langdon is just depth until he is out of contract.

We CANNOT play gaff, redden and shuey next year. One or 2 of these three need to be moved on.
I think a bit of patience needs to be given with HEdwards as he can play well at times however at this stage of his career he can’t seem to sustain it. Hopefully with another pre-season under his belt will make a difference - although with Guv coming back next year he may only play a game here and there.

Positives
JK, 8 Goals champion, legend, god..... what more can be said.
Nic had some mongrel about him and looked like he would help drag us over the line.
Ryan much much better, even though there was a couple of moments Id hope he would like back.
I liked XON'S game, but he wasn't in the middle enough.
Jones gave great drive from the back half, though hus disposal was a bit iffy at times.

Negatives
It was JKs last game and we lost. A few tears were shed.
Bailey Williams was very bad, still trying to work out how he hit the post. One week I think he is making strides, the next he spuds it up..... what to do.
Shuey very fumbly was trying hard but nothing worked for him.
Gaff seriously just piss off take Duggan with you.
Riolis disposal on a few occasions was ordinary.
Waterman was pretty much invisible.
Langdon delist.......Foley not far behind at best depth
For the love of god get a small/medium defender that can stop someone. I know Cole is coming back but my god.

Im just devo we lost a winnable game against an average opponent in a club legends last game. We were close enough at 3 quarter time and i thought we would ride the JK wave to get up.... but alas not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a bit of patience needs to be given with HEdwards as he can play well at times however at this stage of his career he can’t seem to sustain it. Hopefully with another pre-season under his belt will make a difference - although with Guv coming back next year he may only play a game here and there.
Agree HEdwards long term for me....still young needs to get bigger which he will and faster with his ball movement and thinking

I see him as the third tall for the backline when gov is fit...maybe give us the option to throw Gov/Barrass forward during periods in the game

Needs to work on his physical presence. Gets knocked off contest too easily for mine.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Positives

• I get to say I watched a legend kick 8 goals in his last match. It was a simply extraordinary performance that he had clearly built himself up for. He gave everything he had and there was nothing left when he had that last shot at goal, completely spent.
Tom Barrass has quietly gone about building an outstanding season and should have made his appointment as captain next year a certainty. He’ll also be our John Worsfold medal winner for 2022
• It was great to hear Optus Stadium roaring and heaving again

Not doing negatives because there’ll be plenty of time for those to continue in the weeks and months ahead.

Today was about the exit of a champion footballer and an ever better person

Long live the King

Positives:
-JK, legend, so sad to see him go.
-For a change the team brought intensity, reflected in the 88 tackles.
- Hopefully a reality check for those in administration and the board, desperately clinging to the endless list of excuses (we sent a far more experienced side out there than the Crows).

Negatives:
- Despite bringing the intensity, in JK’s milestone game with so much motivation to win, playing at home in fine conditions against the fourth worst team in the competition, we couldn’t get the job done.

Watched the replay on Kayo. The crowd was at times defeaning in the 4th quarter but on tv sounds muted. Still have no idea how Williams mamaged to hit the post from so close. Blokes an absolute spud. Would rather ran a half arses ruck setup once Nicnat retires than persist with Williams.

Reddens htb with 3 mins to go was staggering. Literally looked at the bloke who was about to chase him down.

We are going to see Redden, Shuey, Hurn, Nicnat and Gaff all probably retire next year. Were going to have 2023 and 2024 at least in the doldrums. Our club seems to go 12 years in between premierships. Weve got another 8 to go with the next 3 being quite painful.

Positive
  • Jamaine is on our list
  • There may still be a chance North Melbourne want Adam Simpson

Negative
  • Our match committee still think getting games into Jake Waterman and Bailey Williams will help us get out of the bottom 4 in 2023
  • We have 2 more years of Andrew Gaff on huge coin and a coach stupid enough to think that is a reason to play him

I’m most happy with the fact that we are making our tackles stick. It’s been such a glaring weakness for a long period of time. We aren’t able to sustain it for a full match yet, but hopefully we’re getting there.

To me the difference between our good patches and poor patches in games is the ferocity and effectiveness of our tackling. Get that right for four quarters and we’ll be a top 8 side.

I really hope so. But you gotta ask: are the alternative guys - such as Clarke - so far off the pace that they wouldn't be a better choice than an injured Gaff?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back