Review Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 11, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive +

We started to get a lot more creative with our kicking out of the back line. Started to hit up the corridor from full back/half back, when we would normally have been switching from side to side (teams now playing an extra wing against us to combat this). This is what opened up the game for us. McGovern the chief instaigator of this.

+McGovern starting to clunk marks. Was not in good marking form at the start of the season.
+Chingy was awesome
+Beveridge was class in defeat
+Petch is covering the ground really well
+Rioli is looking better each week. Oozes class.

-First quarter they had a lot of shots

+ Forward line was awesome 19 goals from Darling, JK, Cripps, Waterman, Ryan, Rioli and Allan
+ Darling was superb
+Gaff, Yeo, Sheed and Shuey put on a clinic
+ Back line again superb

- First Quarter they had too much easy ball

Negatives
- petruccelles disposals are sloppy

Hit and miss at the moment for sure - but I thought yesterday he did a couple of really good things:

- took on the player on the wing, then handballed to the next free player in the chain (I reckon earlier in the year it would have resulted in a scrub kick inside 50)
- his pass to (Ryan?) inside 50 when he was on the boundary - again I think earlier in the year he would have gone top of the square or for goal.

When he puts it all together he will be very hard to stop - but at the moment I'm pretty happy that he seems to be improving and learning most weeks. He makes some mistakes - but from what I see he is learning very quickly from them and adjusting his game.

Positives - full contribution from the team, only 2 players with less than 10 disposals and wouldn’t you know it we play more consistent across the entire match and win very easily. Having a third of your team with less than 10 disposals puts way to much pressure long term on winning games.

Negatives- Our disposals or decision making left a bit to be desired at times but that’s probably being a bit hard on the boys.

Very good performance.

I think the expectation was he wouldn't be back till just before finals. That was the revised opinion given a week or so ago?

Na has made good strides and they reckon will play some minutes not long after the bye was last weeks injury report from Vozzo.

This sickens me to do, but frankly a lot of you really overplay how bad Pav was.

OK so he probably got his wires crossed on the Barrass injury. Easy enough to do but hang him for that if you want. It's either an honest mistake, some news we aren't privy to yet or the insane ramblings of a guy with an axe to grind against us. Again, you choose whatever makes the most sense to you.

He also picked up on and complimented Ryan for his defensive block on Kennedy's opponent for his goal in the 3rd(?) quarter, which I thought at the time was a very good observation for those watching on TV who definitely missed it in real time (I did). As for the rest of it... I dunno? There are way more guys (Ling, Dixon etc) who actually cannot find a good word to say about us when they commentate unless it's to balance the ledger when they've been bleating about how good the side we're beating by 5 goals has been.

And yes I am very happy Bigfooty doesn't have a dislike button right now.

This sickens me to do, but frankly a lot of you really overplay how bad Pav was.

OK so he probably got his wires crossed on the Barrass injury. Easy enough to do but hang him for that if you want. It's either an honest mistake, some news we aren't privy to yet or the insane ramblings of a guy with an axe to grind against us. Again, you choose whatever makes the most sense to you.

He also picked up on and complimented Ryan for his defensive block on Kennedy's opponent for his goal in the 3rd(?) quarter, which I thought at the time was a very good observation for those watching on TV who definitely missed it in real time (I did). As for the rest of it... I dunno? There are way more guys (Ling, Dixon etc) who actually cannot find a good word to say about us when they commentate unless it's to balance the ledger when they've been bleating about how good the side we're beating by 5 goals has been.

And yes I am very happy Bigfooty doesn't have a dislike button right now.
He played under Lyon so has a really good eye for workrate and off the ball effort and respects it.

plus Liam Ryan and Gaff are like the masters of off the ball running. Darling, Cripps and Jetta too are great.

Does Gerard Healy have a home over here? He's easily our biggest vic supporter in terms of media personalities and he seems to always be commentating our home games on FOX
He’s been favoruable to the eagles for as long as I could remember.

I think it was at the start of the 2005 season he was very adamant that everyone would know who Dean Cox was at the end of the year. Was his first AA that year; but at that point Cox was still considered a second ruck when Gardiner was fit- but it was evident that he does his research on more than just the Vic sides like some others in the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always found Pav quite complimentary to us- of our forwards especially. He knows how hard they work for each other- probably realises how many more goals he could have kicked had he been in Kennedy’s shoes.

Who cares if he said that an injury was worse than anticipated? It’s probably true. Those type of injuries can historically be tricky to overcome. But if we’ve shown anything- it’s that we have a propensity to back in our system. Schofield is hardly a bad replacement in the interim- especially since Hurn & Shep are so good at intercepting to pick up the slack in that area.

When you’re at the game, it’s easy to see why the mc love Jamie Cripps. No one makes as many sprints as he does to put pressure on or create an option going forward. BOG last night along with Darling

Does Gerard Healy have a home over here? He's easily our biggest vic supporter in terms of media personalities and he seems to always be commentating our home games on FOX
Maybe?

I've always thought it was because he worked Sydney/Perth commentary route and has made sure to be knowledgeable of interstate teams? Plus he was friends with Brian Cousins and iirc was a surfer, so I'm guessing spends a bit of time in WA and followed WC during the Worsfold years. Drafting some exciting players like Nic Nat, Shuey and Ryan has helped.

But really, AFL commentary has enough Melbourne club spruikers, so it's good there is at least one person keeping an eye on the club on the national stage.

Maybe?

I've always thought it was because he worked Sydney/Perth commentary route and has made sure to be knowledgeable of interstate teams? Plus he was friends with Brian Cousins and iirc was a surfer, so I'm guessing spends a bit of time in WA and followed WC during the Worsfold years. Drafting some exciting players like Nic Nat, Shuey and Ryan has helped.

But really, AFL commentary has enough Melbourne club spruikers, so it's good there is at least one person keeping an eye on the club on the national stage.
Yeah certainly not complaining, love that he brings some insight on us to the Couch each week too. It was weird, I wasn't sure if I heard correctly but thought he said something along the lines of 'we' during his commentary when talking about the eagles like he was living in WA?

+ We saw the result when we finally move out of second gear.
+ The knowledge that there's still another couple of gears higher than 3rd gear

- I always seem to pick the slowest moving line to get the bus down Canning Hwy after the game.

Pav is a Kent, don't anyone dare say differently.

Sure he was once bearable in the special comments, but since 2018, since he started working for channel 9, and in particular since we won the flag...

He has been a total w***er. Sinks the boots in like nobody's business when we're losing in games, then throws shade and snarky comments when we're winning.

OR.. he'll go completely silent and sound sooky like somebody has died. Don't even get me started on his whooping or groaning during play.

Even better, go watch him call a Fremantle game and tell me he isn't biased.

Glad he never won a flag :nose:

POSITIVE

King Jack is back. Running way more freely and getting the elevation on his leaps to start clunking the ball. Just needs to keep his feet a bit better and we are looking at 2018 peak Jack again.

JK is also up and about. Really dangerous at ground level for a man of his size and he is getting to a lot more contests to bring the ball to ground rather than see us coughing up intercept marks from our crook i50s.

Vardy running into form. English led him on a merry dance in the first quarter but Vards started to crack in at the stoppages and did a power of work to get our mids out in space.

Duggan had his best game of the year I thought. Got his balance of defending and counter attacking spot on.

NEGATIVE

We couldn't shut down Caleb Daniel. Almost every bit of good dogs transition saw the ball go through his hands and he had a shed load of it.

Hard to be critical but it would have been nice to not let those last few goals through. The boys checked out and it really made the last 10 minutes a bit boring as a spectacle.

Slow starts. Bullies really could have opened us up in the first quarter. Seems to be an ongoing problem that better sides could make us pay a much higher price for.

Bunga's hammie. Hopefully just precautionary and he is all good for next week. Can't afford to lose him for a month plus though, so preferably we are conservative. Rotham or Nelson should be utilised, both up to playing a useful role under Commander Shep.

GENERAL

Schoey is such an old school back man. Relentless niggle, both physical and verbal all night. All smiles when Naughton belted him - mission accomplished.

We have a lot of running power. Seemed like Gaffy, Hutch, Crippa , Waterman and Shep were everywhere. The positive flip side is this is nicely balanced by our explosive runners - Yeo, Shuey, Ryan, PETRA and Crippa. We are way better balanced than being maxed on endurance types only.

Dogs looked pretty polished with ball in hand. Lots of good blocking and overlap running to exploit us on transition. They did however look one paced and their mids seemed particularly poor aerially.

All in all a good outing after a stuttering first quarter. If we can break the SCG hoodoo next week we are sitting poised beautifully for the second half of the year.

Pav is a Kent, don't anyone dare say differently.

Sure he was once bearable in the special comments, but since 2018, since he started working for channel 9, and in particular since we won the flag...

He has been a total ******. Sinks the boots in like nobody's business when we're losing in games, then throws shade and snarky comments when we're winning.

OR.. he'll go completely silent and sound sooky like somebody has died. Don't even get me started on his whooping or groaning during play.

Even better, go watch him call a Fremantle game and tell me he isn't biased.

Glad he never won a flag :nose:
Everything is double sided.

Like he praised Ryan for his effort to block, but what he was really doing was pointing out the block.

Given Fyfe hates WC even more, it'll be tough going when he gets into the media. Surprised no WC alumni has stepped up to a commentary gig. I guess NN is our most likely for the future. Schofield would be great, but does he have the profile? Definitely the ability.

Everything is double sided.

Like he praised Ryan for his effort to block, but what he was really doing was pointing out the block.

Given Fyfe hates WC even more, it'll be tough going when he gets into the media. Surprised no WC alumni has stepped up to a commentary gig. I guess NN is our most likely for the future. Schofield would be great, but does he have the profile? Definitely the ability.

Banfield ruined it for all future Eagles media gigs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back