Review Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 11, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

In this age of 6'4" midfielders there is something very refreshing about Caleb Daniel.

A game for all sizes indeed.

I dread when he gets the ball in hand against us. Rarely wastes a disposal.

In this age of 6'4" midfielders there is something very refreshing about Caleb Daniel.

A game for all sizes indeed.
If he was on the table for a trade, I'd grab him.

He was exceptional on Sunday, a general. Every good play went through him.

Without him in the side, bulldogs wouldve been belted by 120+

Petruccelle slow af

Delist
Understand that this is tongue in cheek but couldn't help but notice that his pace seems to have gone down a bit in recent games. In one play on Sunday he was almost run down with ball in hand over about 50m. Just doesn't seem to have the "blistering" speed he had earlier in the year.

The biggest negative is some of you campaigners using - before a positive, confusing as ****. Use + for a positive and - for a negative not that hard dickheads

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd like to touch on this too.

-ve is negativeve
+ve is positiveve

Stop it. I get triggered every time but it seems ridiculous to bring it up. And yet here we are..

Jack is like a 69 Camaro. Sexy af to look at, and packing plenty of power, but no intelligence like EFI or ABS.
Yes, I sometimes wonder about Jack - between the ears? Does seems to be a confidence player.

But the most positive thing from the doggies game -is the group collective, it's up and about, it's purring.
It looked to really flex its muscles against a lower side and showed us a glimpse of what's to come hopefully, against better sides. JK+JD got a good taste of leather, may get starved again against better teams, but they're up and about. Players across the lines are stepping up. Oscar fits in seamlessly. Waterman returns and excels. There's Cameron, Rotham, Brander, Sneezy etc...
there's even Masten!...and NN!
As Healy said, the way WCE have brought in young players each season, and have them come up to speed, is a scary prospect! It's looking like a GF team again. Might place a late(or early) bet.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dots tracking the players via their gps would be ground breaking. Would really give away how teams set up, I doubt the clubs will allow jt

They have it at the Cricket World Cup atm. I doubt it would provide anything the clubs don’t already have. Also, it would be the same for all clubs, so no team is advantaged/disadvantaged.

They have it at the Cricket World Cup atm. I doubt it would provide anything the clubs don’t already have. Also, it would be the same for all clubs, so no team is advantaged/disadvantaged.

I’m not sure the clubs would like other teams actually seeing their movement. Cricket fields is completely different. I’d like to see it for sure but just don’t think the clubs would like it

I recall reading a paper somewhere in relation to data gathering in sport science that stated AFL as generating more GPS-tracking information in a single game than any other sport.

Suffice to say that teams already track their own player movements through GPS monitoring and get inferred data on opposition movement from Champion Data.

They are also tracking the intensity of movements and how long each activity is being sustained.

From these outputs they can assess against biometric data they have compiled for their players to fine-tune rotation schedules and make fairly qualified estimates of opposition rotations.

Most of the time when you see a generic-looking guy among the coaches on a laptop, this is what they are doing.

It’s always harder to assess things when you blow the opposition off the park.

The Bulldogs have now lost 7 of their past 9 matches and you have to go back to 2017 against Brisbane (when the Lions were truly awful) for the last time they recorded a win on the road.

Winning by 10 goals is fun, but it proves nothing other than expectation. Another hurdle cleared on the way to September; move on, see you in Sydney.

The biggest take away from this match for me was in being a demonstration of what happens when an opponent attempts to beat the Eagles through the execution of clean football. Playing an expansive, open, efficient methodology against the best kicking and marking team in the competition – a team that also happens to have the best goal conversion rate from attacking 50 entries – is an open invitation to be hammered.

We have a match where both teams disposed at over 80% efficiency, yet the outcome was a 61 point margin. That is what this West Coast team does. If you afford them a hint of space the punishment will be ruthless.

The Bulldogs may have had missed some opportunities early through poor finishing (1.5 from inside 40m during the first half), but the game was for the most part largely under control.

001-GenIn50s.jpg
Genuine Inside 50s = Inside 50s - Opposition Rebound 50s. Since the introduction of 6-6-6 Genuine Inside 50s have had a far stronger correlation with the number of goals scored.

Disposal efficiency of the Bulldogs for the first half was above 83%. They took 20 more marks than the Eagles during the second quarter alone. That level is not sustainable over four quarters. Indeed the signs were there leading into half time, with the final 12 minutes of the second quarter showing kicking efficiencies of 82% to 48% in favour of the Eagles. Tellingly, the final four forward entries for West Coast that quarter all ended in goals.

Cue the second half onslaught. 14 goals, the highest second half total by any club this season, to just 6 in response. The first 19 minutes of the third quarter yielded 6 goals in a period of near-flawless football:
  • 53 from 56 kicks (94.6%) hit their targets.
  • Averaging 17 disposals per turnover (the Bulldogs conversely fell away and conceded a turnover for every 4 disposals during this period).

The possession marking game was in full control and the biggest margin of victory by the club this season was assured. West Coast accumulated 86 marks in the second half – double the total of the Bulldogs.

002-Marks.jpg

This match also continues a trend of improved second half performance since the Round 6 debacle against Geelong.

003-2nd-Half.jpg

Darling was best on ground, kicking six goals for the second time in his career. The greater the efficiency of ball use by the team, the greater the level of his performance.

004-GoalsvsDE.jpg

Five wins in a row and equal second on the ladder. The club is positioning itself nicely for the second half of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back