Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

He spent 73% TOG yesterday- all of it in the ruck, none of this resting in the forward line business.
He is a big impact player and we do need to find a better way to spread the remaining 30% rucking because having a useless spud clogging up the bench is hurting us. That said, there would be very few around here that would swap him for any other ruckman in the game.
I don't think his managed time is as much about aerobic capacity as it is preserving his body, especially knees.
Well we through about Jack Watts. Oh the pain!

Saw the replay and if anything it's even more damning of that Cripps blunder. It was careless beyond belief. He didn't even go back on the mark just did this sort of poke kick off one step that went stomach high. To do that in such a tight and critically important game when he had the chance to ice the game. That's the sort of brain dead stuff that costs premierships.

Saw the replay and if anything it's even more damning of that Cripps blunder. It was careless beyond belief. He didn't even go back on the mark just did this sort of poke kick off one step that went stomach high. To do that in such a tight and critically important game when he had the chance to ice the game. That's the sort of brain dead stuff that costs premierships.

A good lesson in round 2.

Any danger of everyone bagging the usual suspects and ask the question why cant the Number 1 Ruckman stay on the ground longer than 6 mins at a time???? Good consistant ruckman go the distance....Grundy, Witts, O'brien the list goes on.. They all stay on the ground for long periods so it tells me Nic Nat fitness is way below standards. Anyone agree?

Lol.

Read the Dogs board and he was by far our BOG to them, and certainly the player they feared the most. Most impactful ruckman in footy and it’s not close. Take your boy Gawn for instance, who everyone is saying had a phenomenal game on the weekend.

Gawn: 95% TOG, 40 hitouts, 17 disposals, 5 turnovers, 3 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 6 score involvements, 2 tackles, 5 marks.

Nic Nat: 72% TOG, 40 hitouts, 13 disposals, 2 turnovers, 11 clearances, 7 inside 50s, 8 scores involvements, 5 tackles, 2 marks.

For a bloke who has had more knee recos than Melbourne kick goals in a prelim, being smart with his game time shouldn’t be a problem when it ensures he dominates like that.

Beating the Bulldogs away without Yeo and Shuey would have been potentially season defining

I am over melting, but God damn this is an opportunity that went begging 😭

Lol.

Read the Dogs board and he was by far our BOG to them, and certainly the player they feared the most. Most impactful ruckman in footy and it’s not close. Take your boy Gawn for instance, who everyone is saying had a phenomenal game on the weekend.

Gawn: 95% TOG, 40 hitouts, 17 disposals, 5 turnovers, 3 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 6 score involvements, 2 tackles, 5 marks.

Nic Nat: 72% TOG, 40 hitouts, 13 disposals, 2 turnovers, 11 clearances, 7 inside 50s, 8 scores involvements, 5 tackles, 2 marks.

For a bloke who has had more knee recos than Melbourne kick goals in a prelim, being smart with his game time shouldn’t be a problem when it ensures he dominates like that.
2 Marks????????? Dominates ..Yeah ..I was at the game as a neutral observer and watched him closely. He wouldnt have been in my top 3 for WC..
1. Barrass 2. Kelly 3. Sheed ( In saying that his opponent was BOG by far ) but Sheed on his own was part of reason WC still in it in 3rd Qtr .

Anyway dont care what NIc Nat does, for me who has played many many season in the Ruck and Forward at high levels he needs to go forward and be dominant there as well. Its good to have a million htouts a game but for me you need to be taking marks around the ground.

2 Marks????????? Dominates ..Yeah ..I was at the game as a neutral observer and watched him closely. He wouldnt have been in my top 3 for WC..
1. Barrass 2. Kelly 3. Sheed ( In saying that his opponent was BOG by far ) but Sheed on his own was part of reason WC still in it in 3rd Qtr .

Anyway dont care what NIc Nat does, for me who has played many many season in the Ruck and Forward at high levels he needs to go forward and be dominant there as well. Its good to have a million htouts a game but for me you need to be taking marks around the ground.

If you watched Nic Nat play yesterday and your takeaway is “he only had two marks”, then your mind was made up before the ball was bounced and I think you’re just loving life because Melbourne have strung together the traditional get your hopes up wins for the season.

The third quarter you mentioned was the Nic Nat show, and nearly everything Sheed did was as a result of Nic hitting some of the cleanest service a mid could ever ask for, again and again and again and again and again when everyone in the stadium knew it was coming. A ruckman with seven inside 50s (same as Bont/BOG) and 11 clearances (most of every player on the ground) and you’re criticising him for not getting forward and having an impact there too. What’s the point of getting it forward if you don’t score, and there was Nic with 8 score involvements.

As I said, your mind was made up, you’re just throwing catchphrases at the wall now. “Doesn’t mark” “doesn’t get forward”.

More output in three quarters than your “good consistent ruckmen” get in a full game, you can keep your three extra marks per game. Sure Gawn had three more marks, but he also had three more turnovers, so what was the point of those marks?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you watched Nic Nat play yesterday and your takeaway is “he only had two marks”, then your mind was made up before the ball was bounced and I think you’re just loving life because Melbourne have strung together the traditional get your hopes up wins for the season.

The third quarter you mentioned was the Nic Nat show, and nearly everything Sheed did was as a result of Nic hitting some of the cleanest service a mid could ever ask for, again and again and again and again and again when everyone in the stadium knew it was coming. A ruck man’s with seven inside 50s (same as Bont/BOG) and you’re criticising him for not getting forward and having an impact there too. As I said, your mind was made up, you’re just throwing catchphrases at the wall now. “Doesn’t mark” “doesn’t get forward”.

More output in three quarters than your “good consistent ruckmen” get in a full game, you can keep your three extra marks per game.
I did watch Nic Nat closely pal, first qtr at 5 Min 20 he had to come off spent. For someone who is a superstar any wonder he monsters his opposition . He has more rest than them during the game. He needs to get fit and I'll throw something else in now you think you know all. I talk at least 1 or 2 times aweek to someone who is heavily heavily involved with the day to day and match day running of the Side and I've been told that they have requested he get fitter and be on ground longer and to work harder in games than just jump for ruck contests and then get own ball.

But I know nothing . Yes agree his 3rd qtr ruck work was very good and yes it did influence the game. But more to being a big man than that.

I did watch Nic Nat closely pal, first qtr at 5 Min 20 he had to come off spent. For someone who is a superstar any wonder he monsters his opposition . He has more rest than them during the game. He needs to get fit and I'll throw something else in now you think you know all. I talk at least 1 or 2 times aweek to someone who is heavily heavily involved with the day to day and match day running of the Side and I've been told that they have requested he get fitter and be on ground longer and to work harder in games than just jump for ruck contests and then get own ball.

But I know nothing . Yes agree his 3rd qtr ruck work was very good and yes it did influence the game. But more to being a big man than that.

“He’s not fit”
“He’s managed because he’s had two recos, and he does more in three quarters than every other ruck does in four.”
“Yeah but he doesn’t take enough marks”.

Now he only dominates because he has more rest than his opponents. Maybe other clubs should be smarter with their rotations then and they could have the best ruckman in the game too?

Don’t take my word, take the AFL Coaches votes. Seventh best player in footy last year according to the coaches. First player listed who wasn’t an out and out midfielder. 56 votes, right behind Bont (59). I’d tell you who the second best ruck was, but the leaderboard only has the top 20 so whoever it was had less than 39 votes and didn’t come close.

Last edited:

yeah but 2 marks though.

/thread

Melbourne fans might have a better comprehension of the intricacies of players such as Nic Nat if they didn't piss off to the ski slopes at the half way mark of every season when their team regresses to business as usual.

“He’s not fit” - HE ISNT HE HAD GUT ON HIM ROUND 1
“He’s managed because he’s had two recos, and he does more in three quarters than every other ruck does in four.” - OLD NEWS
“Yeah but he doesn’t take enough marks”. - GO BACK AND LOOK AT HIS AVERAGE MARKS PER GAME OVER HIS CAREER

Now he only dominates because he has more rest than his opponents. Maybe other clubs should be smarter with their rotations then and they could have the best ruckman in the game too?

Don’t take my word, take the AFL Coaches votes. Seventh best player in footy last year according to the coaches. 56 votes, right behind Bont (59). I’d tell you who the next best ruck was, but the leaderboard only has the top 20 so whoever it was had less than 39 votes and didn’t come close.
Yeah I'll agree with you .

Our contested possessions and clearance's were in the + during the 3 1/4 when he started dominating the hitouts...

It’s criminal that someone could pretend they watched yesterday’s game, see the service he was providing with taps that eliminated every other midfielder and gave us clean inside 50s over and over, and then just chalk it up as “yep that’s one hitout, what else do you have”.

To compare the hitouts Vardy offers us and have the audacity to categorise them as the same stat as the ones Nic gives us should be a criminal offense.

Dont include me i
Melbourne fans might have a better comprehension of the intricacies of players such as Nic Nat if they didn't piss off to the ski slopes at the half way mark of every season when their team regresses to business as usual.
Dont incluse me in that as I dont follow MElbourne , it came up automatically as I dont have a team I follow , I follow the AFL

Gee guys if only we had a big, strong, manly ruckman who watches Gilmore Girls like Maxy Gawn in the side instead of that Fijian kid. Gee whiz I bet our midfield would look a lot better eh? Probably woulda even won on Sunday.

nic nat is used as an extra midfielder,not and around the ground ruckman ,we have talls both forward and back to do that no other ruckman has the tapping ability and puts pressure at the centre bounce than nic nat, he wasnt voted last year by the coaches as the most valuable player for nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back