Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match - if you haven't seen these before this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the mids (inside + wing) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 32 Bounces

Sheed 30
Gaff 29 (24w, 5i)
Redden 28 (14i, 14w)
Kelly 28
O'Neill 16 (11w, 5i)
Nelson 14 (1w)
Duggan 11 (9w, 2i)
Allen 2 wing
Cripps 2 wing

Naitanui 29
Vardy 3

Centre Clearances (18-13)

Sheed 7
Naitanui 6
Kelly 3
Redden 2

Pressure Acts

Cripps 37 - #1 overall
Kelly 35 - #2 overall
Sheed 33 - #3 overall
Nelson 28 - #4th overall
O'Neill 23 - equal 5th for Eagles
Ryan 23 - "

Breakdown by Quarter - Q1

Sheed 7
Redden 7 (4i, 3w)
Gaff 6 (5w, 1i)
Kelly 6
Duggan 6 (5w, 1i)
O'Neill 3 (2i, 1w)

Q2

Sheed 6
Gaff 6 (5w, 1i)
Kelly 5
Redden 5 (1w)
Duggan 5 (4w, 1i)
O'Neill 5 (3i, 2w)
Allen 2 wing

Q3

Sheed 10
Redden 10 (8w, 2i)
Gaff 9 (8w, 1i)
Kelly 9
Nelson 9
O'Neill 3 wing

Q4

Gaff 8 (6w, 2i)
Sheed 7
Kelly 7
Redden 6 (2w)
Nelson 5 (1w)
O'Neill 5 wing
Cripps 2 wing

To anyone suggesting Nicnat is unfit you are a ******* idiot.

He can't play more time on ground and impact more contests due to his biology and what makes him great. You cannot simply change someone's genetic make up and muscle mass that is primarily built on fast twitch muscle fibers and change it (at 30 mind you) to slow twitch muscle. The big guys who are able to stay out there long periods are not simply fitter it is that type 1 (slow twitch) muscle fibres use less energy allowing for greater endurance. The fast twitch muscle fibres allow for more explosiveness at the expense of using more energy.

It is why at the extreme end of sports that typically those of islander and sub saharan (central, southeast, think african american) sportspeople make for greater sprinters while those of caucasian descent tend to dominate swimming.

There will always be exceptions but it is those exceptions that prove the overriding biological rule.

Any danger of everyone bagging the usual suspects and ask the question why cant the Number 1 Ruckman stay on the ground longer than 6 mins at a time???? Good consistant ruckman go the distance....Grundy, Witts, O'brien the list goes on.. They all stay on the ground for long periods so it tells me Nic Nat fitness is way below standards. Anyone agree?
I’ve got myself a theory.

You’re an idiot.

I just know it's going to a very very long season.

On CPH1921 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can I ask you a genuine question mate?

You posted during the Freo scratchie about how terrible we were, then we won, and you didn’t post anything after the game or anything Eagles related in the build up to round 1.

You posted during the Gold Coast game about how terrible we were, then we won, and you didn’t post anything the entire post game/week leading up to the Dogs game.

Then you post on the Dogs game about how terrible we are, and we lost, now you’re posting in the autopsy thread, the changes thread, all over the place.

Why aren’t you ever around to enjoy the wins, and why do you make a point to stay during the losses?

Nelson did not handle Bontempelli well.
In hindsight, Brander might be a better tagger on Bontempelli. Defensively, Brander has the height, speed to match him.
We have another chance to play vs Western Bulldogs at R14. I hope we will get a better marking player on Bontempelli !

In hindsight, Brander might be a better tagger on Bontempelli. Defensively, Brander has the height, speed to match him.
We have another chance to play vs Western Bulldogs at R14. I hope we will get a better marking player on Bontempelli !

A lot rides on Yeo's return this year.

I can see the physical comparisons between the pair, but asking a guy with about 10 games experience, and not one of those in the midfield (wing yes, but not centre) to go to one of the best midfielders in the comp and be able to nullify him is fanciful IMO. Id like to see Brander get a go given his WAFL form but tagging a Brownlow favourite is setting the guy up for failure. I'd rather see him be given license to play freely and gain some confidence at the level rather than be thrown into another experimental role without a reasonable chance of success and be dropped again.

Thought Nelson did quite well COOLING the Bont in the second half.

You posted during the Freo scratchie about how terrible we were, then we won, and you didn’t post anything after the game or anything Eagles related in the build up to round 1.

You posted during the Gold Coast game about how terrible we were, then we won, and you didn’t post anything the entire post game/week leading up to the Dogs game.

Then you post on the Dogs game about how terrible we are, and we lost, now you’re posting in the autopsy thread, the changes thread, all over the place.

Why aren’t you ever around to enjoy the wins, and why do you make a point to stay during the losses?

You should see his Yelp! reviews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have to watch it again but Nelson was pretty effective in the third. My recollection is the Doggies adjusted at 3/4 time to get Bont more space and we didn't really try anything else.

Thought Nelson did quite well COOLING the Bont in the second half.

5 touches (but the game sealing goal in the dying seconds) after Nelson went to the middle early in Q3.

For part of that Bont was playing as a lead up forward, to be fair.

Not disagreeing with you I'm just putting it out there. He has been ' Managed ' for far too long for my liking. Why wouldnt you rest him up forward???? If he can jump liker he does in middle not one club can match 4 talls in the forward line.

If his fitness was up to standards I'm sure he would be up forward but the question needs to be asked, is he not rated as a forward ?? Confuses me !!!
I think with his injuries we’ve just pulled him from any other jumping or contests outside of the ruck to limit the risk. He’s too valuable in the ruck to lose for the sake of some excitement up forward when our forward line already has enough quality talls down there. The cons of him playing forward far outweigh the pros. We’re fine with the impact he gives us, the issues at the moment is the backup ruck essentially wasting a spot in the 22.

I'd have to watch it again but Nelson was pretty damn effective in the third. My recollection is the Doggies adjusted at 3/4 time to get Bont more space.

1616998295566.png

The most astute and intelligent remark I've seen all day!
It might well be worth glueing it back on, his radiant power seems to have drained?

Maybe we can start a board-wide collection? Those of us with hair will donate a lock of it, we glue it all together into a technicolour mullet wig and someone can pass it to Duggs over the fence before the Port game.

Agree, should have been Brander.

The fact that he's been used as an Inside mid tells me that he isn't considered as a KPP atm.

It's a slow burn of a development;

- defensive winger: teach him how to find space and rebound
- inside mid: teach home how gather a contested ground ball
Then...
- Full back: learn good leading patterns
- Waterboy: learn how to drink fluids
Finally...
- Play full forward, be absolutely terrible at it after having your development screwed with for years, culminating in your eventual delisting

For the record I'm heartened in his recent performances in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back