Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 2, 2021

Interesting quote from Simpson today regarding this match:

Sounds like he is saying that it was a deliberate decision to release Bontempelli in the 4th quarter, after applying the brakes upon him in the 3rd.

If that is so, it is a decision that loss the match.

Nah still Cripps for mine. I'd be pissed off if my kid did that at Auskick.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Sounds like he is saying that it was a deliberate decision to release Bontempelli in the 4th quarter, after applying the brakes upon him in the 3rd.

Thats f*cken crazytown logic! Thats like putting a tag on Dusty, restricting him to a couple of touches in a quarter, then going "nah job done hey. We dont need to tag this scrub anymore".

F*ck me dead! What was Simmo thinking!? Christ on a bike I love the bloke but that is absolutely diabolical coaching!

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Thats f*cken crazytown logic! Thats like putting a tag on Dusty, restricting him to a couple of touches in a quarter, then going "nah job done hey. We dont need to tag this scrub anymore".

F*ck me dead! What was Simmo thinking!?

Wholeheartedly agree.

Can only speculate the prospect of Bontempelli isolating against Nelson up forward put enough fear into them to drop the tag.

Should have kept the hard tag going and dropped Allen back as a defensive spare, providing assistance to Nelson when Bontempelli went forward.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea

Agree, why would he do that? Did he think we had enough of a lead? Poor decision whatever the reason was - let the genie out of the bottle.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably because the Bulldogs shifted him to the forward line and he figured it was only worth tagging him if he was in the middle. Not a great decision, but not inherently illogical.

Could go down as the successor to that semi-tag Woosha put on Boomer Harvey one game...

Probably because the Bulldogs shifted him to the forward line and he figured it was only worth tagging him if he was in the middle. Not a great decision, but not inherently illogical.

Could go down as the successor to that semi-tag Woosha put on Boomer Harvey one game...

Imagine being one of the top 5 midfielders in the league and getting hidden in the forward line because you got tagged by Jackson Nelson.

#Admiraled

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
Sorry for the intrusion

Great game Sunday and yes we won but our excitement of the win, has a direct correlation to playing a team who plays the game like it should be played.

Nic Nat absolute Gun of a player. What a pleasure to watch him live and see him put such a display on.

You guys will be there when the whips are cracking and you deserve to be.

Best Ruckman in the game, great mids (especially when you get your best 2 back Shuey and Yeo), very good defenders in Barrass and McGovern and then a forward line that I envy Kennedy, Darling, Allen and Liam Ryan. How exciting is Liam Ryan you expect him to do the freaky thing and he does not let you down. The chemistry of that forward line is awesome.

Of course I want the Dogs to win the flag but if we don't I hope it is you guys because you play the game like it should be played and I would love to see Nic Nat get a flag.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

It's exactly what happened.

The dogs shifted him forward at the start of the last to break the (effective) tag that Nelson was putting on.

The question for me is not so much why didn't Nelson follow him forward in the last (at that stage we were going OK), but why wasn't the tag put on earlier than half time?

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
The question for me is not so much why didn't Nelson follow him forward in the last (at that stage we were going OK), but why wasn't the tag put on earlier than half time?

Believe it or not I can see the logic here - were were staying with them and the Dogs, for all their midfield dominance, werent able to effectively break our defensive structures. Satisfied that we have everything in check in the defensive half, Simmo sends Nelson to tag Bont out of the game to try and break the stalemate.

Up to this point, this is a good strategy.

The diabolical utensil-up is then deciding that one of the best midfielders in the league no longer needs to be tagged anymore when doing so puts us in front! All that did was allow Bont to work back into the game and help the dogs lift in the dying stages.

Now that I know this is how it went down im even more angry at the loss. Simmo, you HAD THEM ON TOAST! WTF is wrong with you!?

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
We came up with plenty of excuses as to why we lost to Richmond last year too, and why it wouldn't matter in the end.
And why we couldn't beat a top 4 side in 2019. Funnily enough we couldn't do it in the finals either (then blamed the timing of Willie's suspension).

Team shat the bed in the last and blew what should have been a three goal lead (thanks Crippa).

Yep agree about excuses but at times the draw is very uneven and after 3.5 hard quarters against a fast side maybe the travel, heat and less rest was a factor. Is it an excuse if the dice are loaded against you? (You mention the WR suspension - I still don't get why we were only told just before a final. Strange?)

I think we are ... again ... a good top six side but won't make GF unless the ducks all absolutely align. Our midfield without Shuey and Yeo and with Gaff down on form is lacking. Redden is honest but is never going to be a top three premiership midfielder. Duggan is a new midfielder (and his form line seems to have plateau'd). And I'm just hoping that Kelly's best two seasons won't be his first two. (Remember him kicking for goal and putting it into the man on the mark? It wasn't only Cripps.)

Of course it might turn out that Footscray do the same thing to Geel or Rich or PtA.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Sorry for the intrusion

Great game Sunday and yes we won but our excitement of the win, has a direct correlation to playing a team who plays the game like it should be played.

Nic Nat absolute Gun of a player. What a pleasure to watch him live and see him put such a display on.

You guys will be there when the whips are cracking and you deserve to be.

Best Ruckman in the game, great mids (especially when you get your best 2 back Shuey and Yeo), very good defenders in Barrass and McGovern and then a forward line that I envy Kennedy, Darling, Allen and Liam Ryan. How exciting is Liam Ryan you expect him to do the freaky thing and he does not let you down. The chemistry of that forward line is awesome.

Of course I want the Dogs to win the flag but if we don't I hope it is you guys because you play the game like it should be played and I would love to see Nic Nat get a flag.
I think of the top teams, us and your Dogs play the most attractive football to watch from an aesthetic perspective. Not surprising both coaches are from the Alistair Clarkson stable of assistants, and I've said for a long time it's very hard to split those great teams of the 21st century (Brisbane, Geelong, Hawks and now joined by the Tigers) but I've never wavered in my belief that it was Hawks who were the best to watch during this time.

Obviously Damian Hardwick was also an assistant to Clarkson and clearly didn't go down the aesthetic footy route - Richmond are a great team no doubt but outside Martin they are an absolute grind to watch. That being said, whilst we are never going to go down the Tigers route of football, most on this board would agree a little it more mongrel from our boys wouldn't hurt.

Thank * Ross Lyon never won a flag with the Saints or Dockers because there's a fair chance it would have been his assistant coaches propagate throughout the league. *shudder*.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Redden is honest but is never going to be a top three premiership midfielder.
2nd in the B&F for our 2018 flag year. Huge games against the Pies and Demons and a solid outing in the GF.
If we're talking about the future, yes his time seems limited.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Wholeheartedly agree.

Can only speculate the prospect of Bontempelli isolating against Nelson up forward put enough fear into them to drop the tag.

Should have kept the hard tag going and dropped Allen back as a defensive spare, providing assistance to Nelson when Bontempelli went forward.

Simpson explained why. Bont went forward and the bulldogs reshuffled their midfield setup, so rather than keep tagging Bont, Nelson stayed in the middle and played a defensive role.

Reasoning is sound.

I think Bont only had 5 touches in the last quarter, so his influence was negligible. Not sure its fair to say its bad coaching when we lost a 3 v 1 going into our F50, allowed that 1 to rebound and start a chain that would find a hard running Bont free close to goal.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Simpson explained why. Bont went forward and the bulldogs reshuffled their midfield setup, so rather than keep tagging Bont, Nelson stayed in the middle and played a defensive role.

Reasoning is sound.

I think Bont only had 5 touches in the last quarter, so his influence was negligible. Not sure its fair to say its bad coaching when we lost a 3 v 1 going into our F50, allowed that 1 to rebound and start a chain that would find a hard running Bont free close to goal.
Yeah our players inability to finish in the last Q and being outbodied in contests largely lost that game for us.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

F*ck me dead! What was Simmo thinking!? Christ on a bike I love the bloke but that is absolutely diabolical coaching!
As bad as Woosha resting Darren Glass just before 3/4 time in that final

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
On Duggan, that guy must surely be on track for some sort of AFL record for most tackles attempted to be broken.

I love the guys tenacity for trying, but time and time again he keeps trying to bust these tackles and he keeps on failing. For that reason I have nicknamed Buster, in jest.

Maybe he thinks law of averages means he will break one, one day 😂

Hell, I even saw Nelson break one on the weekend which was telling 😂

Nev57

All Australian
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
subi
Duggan was quite poor. Tried a lot of dinky little tap ons and fed the Bulldogs the ball plenty.

JD telegraphing his intent to play on and getting done HTB is also a major annoyance of mine. He's got a history of it. Trying to be the hero and pull off the highlight and he fluffs it. Incredibly good looking. Incredibly dumb.
i think you need to cut him a bit of slack ts a new roll for him and i think the game itself has become faster again than last year,if he then fails he an always go down back again.

Back