Autopsy Positives and Negatives Vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Duggan - see his personal stats for the day? Ran and ran and ran but seemingly to no man's land every time. Not sure what we do there.
This is not the first time either

Something that struck me at the ground yesterday (and this has been said more than once over the past many years). Gaff is such a gut runner.

Towards the 2nd half of the final quarter everyone was basically out on their feet. Gaff, however, was still running at basically his normal capacity and involved in our chains from the back flank.

It was so noticeable at the ground because he was just running passed players who had no more energy. That contribution so late in a match is not insignificant.
I also thought Lecca’s endurance was pretty good compared to last year. Maybe that good offseason paid off.

He was absolute trash in the preseason but played really well yesterday. Hopefully not just FTB

I’d throw Venables into the elite kicking group too, once he gets his confidence up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Too early to call venables elite.same as Ryan, let’s see some consistency before putting pressure on these blokes.he seems promising, if he gets his upper body stronger, I can see him do some serious damage in a year or two

Nic Nat- Getting back to his best and is an intimidating presence

Venables- Love his dare and dash, kicked 3 goals as well, adds a anothr mix to our forward line

Ryan-Loved his game, needs to finish better
Hurn- Back to his kicking best in the last two games.

Lycett- Played a belter of a game

Darling - Played like a man possessed seems like he has a point to prove 11 marks 6 of them contested and 4 goals great game

Dislike
Nelson - Turn over machine

I bash Hurn probably more than anyone since he was first made captain, as i don't rate him as a leader. But he needs to be commended on today's game, he set the tone.

Being so lethal by foot put the bulldogs on the backfoot right from the get go. Without Simmo there, it was important.

He had a good 2nd half of last season too.

- Speaking of Duggan - see his personal stats for the day? Ran and ran and ran but seemingly to no man's land every time. Not sure what we do there.
Runs so much for such little possession. Must have enjoyed being the piggy in the middle when he was a kid.

Runs so much for such little possession. Must have enjoyed being the piggy in the middle when he was a kid.

Wasn't watching closely enough but was a lot of his running 'unrewarded' and thus opening up opportunities for team mates? Used to play high level hockey and we were always expected to do lots of unrewarded running to help create space and opportunities for team mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't be bothered with a long post this week, very happy all round with the performances but a few quick notes:

Redden - Didn't exactly lose his feet by being outmuscled, just that when he realises he's going to be second to the ball he dives frantically to try and tap it on or drag it back to gather it. I think it shows his desperation and is a more promising thing then him slipping or getting knocked over.

Darling and Lecras - Obviously their skills have been amazing and I love to see the maligned players stand up, but their leadership is what has made me the happiest, after goals they can both be seen directing Ryan, Venables and Rioli around and Lecras' intent to tackle is infectious.

Rioli - Not his best performance but very happy to see him in the team. His kicking was sublime and he has that natural confidence to use the ball well but it was quite an average game first up. Definitely needs to work on his fitness but I'm hoping he gets the chance to do so at AFL level.

Cripps / Duggan - Got roasted a fair bit in the game day thread, which is where roastings belong (in the heat of the moment) but I thought they were ok, Cripps better than Duggan. For all their faults here's two guys who can play 90-100 percent of the game and just chip in and do enough

Gaff - Praised heaps already but his kicking has improved drastically since last year, perhaps it was all in his ankle after all?

Redden - Didn't exactly lose his feet by being outmuscled, just that when he realises he's going to be second to the ball he dives frantically to try and tap it on or drag it back to gather it. I think it shows his desperation and is a more promising thing then him slipping or getting knocked over.
My issue with this is that he pretty much always concedes he won’t win the contest, as he is trying to halve it and make sure the opposition don’t run away with it. But it makes you so susceptible to getting caught HTB. The umps would rather the players chuck it forward than jump on it and lock it in.

He just seems a bit too negative a midfielder for what we need

My issue with this is that he pretty much always concedes he won’t win the contest, as he is trying to halve it and make sure the opposition don’t run away with it. But it makes you so susceptible to getting caught HTB. The umps would rather the players chuck it forward than jump on it and lock it in.

He just seems a bit too negative a midfielder for what we need

In that respect, the game has moved against him a little bit - umps are much harsher on this than a few years ago.

Duggan might be scrap heap material

I just don't see any good AFL traits within him
You have to be joking.

He was fantastic for large parts of last year.

Last week people were writing Venables off, now Duggan? There are some serious ******* worm brained dickheads that post here.

You have to be joking.

He was fantastic for large parts of last year.

Last week people were writing Venables off, now Duggan? There are some serious ******* worm brained dickheads that post here.
Unreal. Even yesterday he was mostly ok, except for a couple forgettable disposals.

On his traits, he actually has so many that are afl but he just needs to put it together. Totally agree there are some confidence issues, but he's building .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back