Autopsy Positives and Negatives Vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the game on Sunday flooded back happy memories of 2015. It was great how we just clicked in the 2nd quarter and just killed the game in 30 minutes of footy. We did that to so many teams in 2015.

I know the dogs were woeful but there is genuine optimism for the remainder of the season.

His ball use is pretty bad for an uncontested style player who doesn't mind much of the footy.

I hope you're right.
I don’t reckon he’s that uncontested and his ball use is often pretty good. I didn’t really notice anything that bad from him on Sunday but I was at the game so maybe it happened down the other end.

He’s definitely not going to be a superstar but I think it’ll click for him eventually.

I don’t reckon he’s that uncontested and his ball use is often pretty good. I didn’t really notice anything that bad from him on Sunday but I was at the game so maybe it happened down the other end.

He’s definitely not going to be a superstar but I think it’ll click for him eventually.
Let's see:

1. He's not quick
2. He gets the ball in space
3. He turns the ball over - twice he kicked into man on the mark on Sunday

For an uncontested player they have to have good skills or speed, otherwise they are not AFL quality.

If they don't drop him this week it's a travesty as he will horrendous round 1 as well. How would the likes of Watson feel?

I'd just like to say this

Gaff lead the Contested disposal count today with 13.

Andrew. Gaff.

giphy.gif
Yeah I really liked him in the middle...

Let's see:

1. He's not quick
2. He gets the ball in space
3. He turns the ball over - twice he kicked into man on the mark on Sunday

For an uncontested player they have to have good skills or speed, otherwise they are not AFL quality.

If they don't drop him this week it's a travesty as he will horrendous round 1 as well. How would the likes of Watson feel?

Shouldn't get dropped. Back him in. Only change I'd make is Nelson for Cole.

It’s been said a bunch of times already but one of the biggest positives for me is that Ryan, despite having only one professional preseason, is showing he is already strong enough to lay hard tackles/bumps and win contests (can be a weakness of mercurial small forwards), plus he is running out games really well despite going for runs up to the half back line.

I expected him to be relatively average physically, especially given the stories about his beep tests, but he appears to be a bit of a natural athlete.

Once he’s spent a couple more years training in a professional environment it will be very interesting to see

Very happy with the win but i hope the guys dont get carried away...the Doggies put practically no pressure on the Eagles and we were allowed to run around and hit targets at will. That second quarter was deplorable from them!
Next week the Cats will put the blowtorch on us and it will be interesting to see how we cope. We were not too bad against the Swans, but we are gonna have to be even better versus Geelong. very happy that the Cats only get a 6 day break and have to travel to Perth though!

Duggan had 17 touches, only 3 of them contested.

The fact he went at 58%DE is pretty poor for so much uncontested football. Led our i50's as well which is laughable.

Highly rated high draft pick, needs to realize his potential and lift.
Yep - his fantasy score was 70 odd, SC only 30.

Shows his impact was useless, potato worthy even

Positives:

-Loved the game of Lycett, he competed so hard and his follow up efforts were superb. I love the aggression that he brings to the contest. 7 tackles too.

-Ditto Elliot Yeo, another solid game and 6 tackles himself. I dont mind him making the occasional midfield cameo but i am very much of the belief we should leave him where he plays best; in the backline.

-Andrew Gaff: 13 freakin contested possessions. I didnt know the guy had it in him, i am shocked but i love it. I truly hope he can keep it up.

-Hurn was awesome, for most of the day he was running at 100% disposal efficiency. Best game i have seen him play in ages. His field kicking was absolutely sublime.

-Lecras actually applying defensive pressure, had a great game

-Darling looking 1000 times better since he has stopped playing for soft free kicks and having a weak attack on the ball. Now that he is going hard for his marks and not looking at the umpires after every contest he is looking great as the main man up forward.

-Our kids: Ryan, Venables, Waterman and Rioli all looked great

-Honorable mention: Tommy Barrass. Bounced back really well from last week. He wasnt flashy, but he was rock solid down back

Negatives

-The thing thats most disappointing about Redden is that we all have expected him to lift his output with more midfield time and the absence this year of Priddis and Mitchell........and he hasnt. As i said in an earlier thread, if he is to play as a full time mid, an average of 20 possessions per game would be considered a pass mark (and he can do that, he has at Brisbane). Give him until the bye to see what he can put together, and if he doesnt improve his output, give him a spell in the WAFL

-We all want Duggan to be on the improve, but he isnt. He makes poor decisions and at this stage of his football career, his kicking for goal is indefensibly bad. Like Levi Casboult bad. I dont think he is ever going to be the midfielder we want him to be. As per Redden, give him until the bye to see what he can put together, and if his decision making and kicking isnt improving give him a spell at east perth to work on a few things.

-Masten isnt playing badly per se, but he is still so weak at the contest. He has zero physical presence and he refuses to tackle. And whilst he was serviceable, there were some passages of play on that weekend that were just so weak. He cant win a contesteted possession, he wont offer any physicality and he doesnt hurt you on the scoreboard........other then the capacity to run, what does he really add to the team in the long term?

Im not fussed about Redden. I think he is going to be largely invisible most games and as long as he is at the contest and winning his own footy (high percentage of his possessions being contested) he has done his job. I think we are going to see more and more even spread amongst our mids without the "I get 30 a game guaranteed" guy regardless of how the game is going.

Hes an experienced player and I like his hassle at the contest etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys,

I wasn't happy with the sub 2 minute Liam Ryan show reel, so I made an extended version.

After following him in the WAFL for the past couple of years I have to say I am pumped to see him at AFL level, where he belongs.

Also have a Venables vid done if you would like.

Hey guys,

I wasn't happy with the sub 2 minute Liam Ryan show reel, so I made an extended version.

After following him in the WAFL for the past couple of years I have to say I am pumped to see him at AFL level, where he belongs.

Yes we'd like the Venables vid too please. :)

Darling actually crunched somebody in a tackle.Gave away the free but who cares.
Lecca with renewed appettite for the contest
Barass taking the body in a contest.Who knew?
Gaff at least twice kicking on his right foot with good effect.
Lycett i dont care if your the worlds worst ruckman [ your not ] just keep attacking on your second and third contests.Nobody and i mean nobody likes a monster coming through with intent.
The forward line.

Lots to like but not much opposition.Beware next week.

I've really enjoyed this start to the year. To not hold super high hopes and be pleasantly surprised is a breath of fresh air after last year.

+ Our rucks give us a genuine point of difference over everyone else. Big scary bastards who love throwing their weight around. Love it.

+ As far as I've concerned Ryan can fly at anything he wants. Even if he doesn't mark it he's like a human chaos ball similar to a Kennedy pack split. Chaos in a forward line is good especially with Lecras and Rioli running about. Coaches MUST to resist any urge to over-coach him.

+ Hurn, Lecras, Darling playing beautifully.

+ Debuting kids and actually have them impose themselves on games.

+Simpsons kid is ok

- I'm still really pissed off with those maggots from last week - made a close game or potential win into a comfortable loss. What shits me most is they went in with a pre-conceived plan the w***ers.

-what in Christ sake is going on with that East Perth alliance? We must have the worst second tier development program in the AFL.

-Screw everyone associated with the delayed telecast and Sunday fixturing.

Hey guys,

The things i got from this video is that it was suckling and JJ he was running from with relative ease... And every marking contest rioli was there front and center... waiting

-Ditto Elliot Yeo, another solid game and 6 tackles himself. I dont mind him making the occasional midfield cameo but i am very much of the belief we should leave him where he plays best; in the backline.

If we played every West Coaster "where they play best" we'd have a team full of Half Back Flankers.

Im just here for the froths. I haven't been disappointed.

One positive that hasn't been mentioned though- I reckon Sheed had a real crack and played that hard extractor role that was needed. I think his game has been overlooked/underappreciated among all of the other highlights.

Yeo seemed to play all over the ground on the weekend. Went up against Bont a couple of times and got the better of that match up.

Would like to see him just go head to head with Danger this weekend. Can run with him in the midfield and can match up when he goes forward.

And here are some Venables highlights.

Also for those wondering I like to include all involvements of a player, even if it is negative. That's why you'll see him getting caught HTB twice in the video. I think it gives you a better idea of the player, including his flaws.

Cheers

And here are some Venables highlights.

Also for those wondering I like to include all involvements of a player, even if it is negative. That's why you'll see him getting caught HTB twice in the video. I think it gives you a better idea of the player, including his flaws.

Cheers

Can we keep you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back