Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the oldies pulling their finger out and doing it for the coach. Does that make a winning culture?? I think it just shines a light on a poor culture.
Was that turnaround a progression of our seasons form? I think it was more a reaction to the heat around the whole club.
Do we need that kind of blowtorch to lift each week?? I hope not. It is what it is ; moving on now, bring on the Crows!!

Reckon our best players, Kelly, Allen, Cripps etc, have been pretty good most weeks. Cripps' season obviously wrecked by injuries, but still.

Some people wanted Cripps to be put on the LTI so we could get another mid-season draft pick, just quietly. They knew he was every chance of playing the last chunk of games but wanted to enable the tank.

Was luckily at the game! Went thinking we’d get flogged but I was more excited about just getting out of the children’s hospital we have been living out of for over a year now so super stoked to actually have a win!

Just a few thought on certain players from watching live.

J.Williams - He has a future at this level. He just needs to work on his tank as he looks gassed at stages. Also think he needs to attack the ball harder as at times he seems hesitant but I’m wondering if he’s worried about getting in Allen & Darlings way.

Chesser - Should have been used more. There was numerous times where he was in a good position to be used but was bypassed for the longer option. I think maybe as he gets more experience he won’t get bypassed so much. Will be a slow burn.

L.Edwards - Has Class & seems to have extra time when he gets the ball. He’s just needs to work on production & he seems to drift in and out of games. He’s not quick but if we have enough pace in the team I think we can cover that.

Maric - Will be a good player. Think we got a steal here. Needs to get better in marking contests but I think that’s more to do with his size as he is very slight. Smart player, beautiful kick, good hands, agile. Excited to see him after a pre-season. Extended his contract now before the VIC clubs start getting in his ear.

Petruccelle - My mate asked me if he’d got stronger. Certainly seems that way. We had a big laugh when he decided he was just gonna try run through Bailey Smith in the first quarter. Loving him in the midfield on the attack although the thing though that impressed me the most was his run down tackle. It’s all good to have pace but you need to use it both ways. Have no problems with him getting an extra 2 years.

Long - Love this kid. Got BBQ’d by his team mates when he had made good position with loopy kicks a couple of times but he just seems like a smart kid. Want to see him in the midfield more next year. For anyone saying he’s not tall enough well he’s around the same heigh as Neale, Merrett & Serong...

Have a few more observations I took from the game but I’ll leave it at that from the minute.

Last edited:
Chesser - Should have been used more. There was numerous times where he was in a good position to be used but was bypassed for the longer option. I think maybe as he gets more experience he won’t get bypassed so much. Will be a slow burn.
Agree. Outside players need to be used. Chesser will have to earn that, by showing he can be damaging with his disposals - but when he does, his teammates will trust him with the disposal more often, and he'll be a more significant contributor.

That was the oldies pulling their finger out and doing it for the coach. Does that make a winning culture?? I think it just shines a light on a poor culture.
Was that turnaround a progression of our seasons form? I think it was more a reaction to the heat around the whole club.
Do we need that kind of blowtorch to lift each week?? I hope not. It is what it is ; moving on now, bring on the Crows!!
This week will tell the full story one way or the other. If we get blown out by Adelaide at home, in the last game of some of the clubs legends, then we know yesterday was a sham and means nothing going forward.

Choosing when to go has been a trait of this side since 2018 and yesterday did nothing to change that so if we don’t see the same fight next week then we gave up pick 1 for a one week sugar hit and it won’t improve or damage the culture going forward.

Finally finished the replay, and I know we say it a lot but sheesh our song is so gross. It's just has zero fight in it.
it's horrid

The bit that the players sing is the whole song

Just Play that section 2 or 3 times

Done

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Long - Love this kid. Got BBQ’d by his team mates when he had made good position with loopy kicks a couple of times but he just seems like a smart kid. Want to see him in the midfield more next year. For anyone saying he’s not tall enough well he’s around the same heigh as Neale, Merrett & Serong...
Genuinely looks like a midfielder to me. Man he is so exciting tbh. Clean hands, good decision making, tackles well. Really hope he doesn’t leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lots been made of the performance of the senior players and rightly so. Kelly, McGovern and Cripps (after half time) were enormous but there were some good signs from some of our lesser lights that were encouraging

Rotham had easily his best game for the year. Was part of an undersized backline that won the day over Naughton, JUH and Lobb. He was more proactive with the ball moving it on quicker and hitting his targets. I liked this version of him

Petruccelle doesn’t win a lot of the ball but he adds a lot with his pace around stoppages. It helps that his running patterns are a little unpredictable as it allows him to break lines and get into space. In a bleak year, his emergence as a pinch hitting mid has been a welcome surprise

Bailey Williams came into this game on a bit of a downward taper but his aggression at English unsettled him and gave us a good presence around stoppages. The tackle on Naughton was a highlight

Petrevski-Seton had some good moments- in particular a couple of classy passes inside 50 (one to Hunt and another to Cripps). Had he nailed a very gettable set shot it would have rounded out his game nicely

Maric is becoming quite the steal. Super classy with the ball and just a very good football brain.

Ditto for Long. His handball in the centre to a bursting Kelly to set up our first goal was sex. As was the one moments later that put Cripps into space

Luke Edwards was good early especially. Uses the ball well and covered plenty of ground (game high for distance) which shows he’s starting to build his tank

Hewett was solid again and will be a force when he builds his tank and tidied up his disposal a bit

Cole was also very good. Had to help the talls on occasion and I think I’m right in saying he had primary responsibility for Weightman who had very little impact save for a late junk time goal

Finally a bit of praise for Allen. I liked that he got up the ground a bit more than usual. Had season highs for disposals (18) and marks (9) because he wasn’t trapped deep forward getting mugged by defenders. Only blemish was a couple of shots at goal you’d normally expect him to nail- a 5 goal haul went begging

A lots been made of the performance of the senior players and rightly so. Kelly, McGovern and Cripps (after half time) were enormous but there were some good signs from some of our lesser lights that were encouraging

Rotham had easily his best game for the year. Was part of an undersized backline that won the day over Naughton, JUH and Lobb. He was more proactive with the ball moving it on quicker and hitting his targets. I liked this version of him

Petruccelle doesn’t win a lot of the ball but he adds a lot with his pace around stoppages. It helps that his running patterns are a little unpredictable as it allows him to break lines and get into space. In a bleak year, his emergence as a pinch hitting mid has been a welcome surprise

Bailey Williams came into this game on a bit of a downward taper but his aggression at English unsettled him and gave us a good presence around stoppages. The tackle on Naughton was a highlight

Petrevski-Seton had some good moments- in particular a couple of classy passes inside 50 (one to Hunt and another to Cripps). Had he nailed a very gettable set shot it would have rounded out his game nicely

Maric is becoming quite the steal. Super classy with the ball and just a very good football brain.

Ditto for Long. His handball in the centre to a bursting Kelly to set up our first goal was sex. As was the one moments later that put Cripps into space

Luke Edwards was good early especially. Uses the ball well and covered plenty of ground (game high for distance) which shows he’s starting to build his tank

Hewett was solid again and will be a force when he builds his tank and tidied up his disposal a bit

Cole was also very good. Had to help the talls on occasion and I think I’m right in saying he had primary responsibility for Weightman who had very little impact save for a late junk time goal

Finally a bit of praise for Allen. I liked that he got up the ground a bit more than usual. Had season highs for disposals (18) and marks (9) because he wasn’t trapped deep forward getting mugged by defenders. Only blemish was a couple of shots at goal you’d normally expect him to nail- a 5 goal haul went begging
Agree with most of these assessment.
Rotham had a great game and had no real clangers which is his trademark.
Petch was great, really hard at the contest and is starting to get some confidence in his ability, made 2 ripper tackles for HTB.
Cole was really good down back, shut down well.
the oldies, Jezza, Cripps, etc were strong.
Youngsters were good too, learning how to get the win is invaluable.

Disagree with SPS though - he is way too scared of contest, even his tackles are hesitant, either worried about giving a free kick away or getting hurt. Plenty of times in the game on Sunday he should have gone in hard but held back. He did 2 kicks in a row on the wing (1st or second quarter? cant remember) where he tried 25 meter passes with no pressure on him and both kicks went to the feet of his teammate. He has the skills, but unless he wakes up and give 100% he is always going to be a "what if"

Agree with most of these assessment.
Rotham had a great game and had no real clangers which is his trademark.
Petch was great, really hard at the contest and is starting go get some confidence in his ability, made 2 ripper tackles for HTB.
Cole was really good down back, shut down well.
the oldies, Jezza, Cripps, etc were strong.
Youngsters were good too, learning how to get the win is invaluable.

Disagree with SPS though - he is way too scared of contest, even his tackles are hesitant, either worried about giving a free kick away or getting hurt. Plenty of times in the game on Sunday he should have gone in hard but held back. He did 2 kicks in a row on the wing (1st or second quarter? cant remember) where he tried 25 meter passes with no pressure on him and both kicks went to the feet of his teammate. He has the skills, but unless he wakes up and give 100% he is always going to be a "what if"
Well he has been suspended twice this year for sling tackles, on the same bloke no less.

Might explain his hesitancy when tackling yesterday.

For all those that melted because we won’t get the number one pick now….

It’s going to be exceedingly funny when Norf beat Gold Coast at Blundstone - only for us to go out a few hours later and win again to send off a few legends of the club 😆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back