Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Some real nashing over losing top 2 on here. Just remember that Brisbane and Geelong play each other, so if we win the last 3 games we are guaranteed top 2.

As for %, no team seems to be getting huge wins at the moment, unless they play gold coast. The most important thing is that we get wins and try and have our best 22 settled and in form for finals. Geelong are a great example of a team in big trouble in that regard.

Am I the only one who thought Petch was good today? Pushed hard up the ground all game and provided and outlet. Basically was doing the Cripps role all match. Kicking let him down at times, but I thought he did well compared to his recent quietish games.
He got a fair bit of it. Needs to work on using his sprint to get to the ball, then to trap the ball rather than hitting it so fast that he can't control it and it ricochets off somewhere. Shows some overhead potential, which is good for a bloke who is close to the ground. He may not be that short, but he is definitely close to the ground.

Some real nashing over losing top 2 on here. Just remember that Brisbane and Geelong play each other, so if we win the last 3 games we are guaranteed top 2.

As for %, no team seems to be getting huge wins at the moment, unless they play gold coast. The most important thing is that we get wins and try and have our best 22 settled and in form for finals. Geelong are a great example of a team in big trouble in that regard.
I don't get it either. We haven't lost top 2, given we're currently second. People are nuffies.

Lmao obviously I know that the loss to the Pies put us in this position, but moving past that, we stuffed up an opportunity to improve our percentage with Brisbane playing GC next week, but hopefully we can rectify it by having big wins against Adelaide & Hawthorn at home.

Despite playing gold coast next week, I'd say bris have the tougher run home playing geelong and richmond.

We should be able to dispatch adelaide & hawks at home.

Yes it was a win yesterday, and i would much rather win than lose, but i walked out of the ground with the sense it was a wasted opportunity, we should have beat them by ten goals easily, when we decided to switch on, which we did through the 2nd and 3rd quarters it was like AFL vs a VFL a side. Given how close the season looks you can't really let a chance like that slip. I like to sit behind the goals when i'm at games as you can see the play unfold better in my opinion, and watching yesterday it was clear when our forwards lift their pressure it stifles the other team, and seems to lift the mids as well, and makes life a hell of a lot easier for the defence. Carlton used their half back line to set up most of their attack in the first and our forwards were lazy with their pressure, once they clicked into gear, things flowed a lot easier.

Positives

Hickey- Is seriously under rated, and if Nic does not come back i don't think it's going to be all doom and gloom, the guy is seriously good in close with his hands, and does not mind getting down and dirty. Is a pretty decent mark and gets around the ground ok.

Defence - I've said it before, the best in the league by a mile, for mine Schofield has to stay, sure he wasn't great yesterday, but by him playing it frees Gov up to do what Gov does best and that is float and round and pick off the incoming ball. Let's remember Will was against a youngster yesterday who is always going to have more energy. Our smaller defenders all have pretty decent kicking skills and can play on either big or tall.

Waterman- People our harsh on him, when you watch from behind the goals you see the amount of hard running he does, with him and Oscar, we have our next key forwards after JK and JD finish their time, both of them will be very good footballers in the long run.

Ryan- I'll be honest i did not think he would make it, glad i'm wrong, he is seriously good and is only in his second season, sure at times he may bite of more than he can chew, but i'd rather he tried and we have the X factor up forward rather than all being the same.

Negatives

Only one, not playing four quarters of football, something that has been quite regular this season teams like Richmond, Geelong and Brisbane won't let us off so easily if we do that in finals. We always seem to have another gear most of the time, i would much rather we stay in that gear for a bit longer in games.

Yes it was a win yesterday, and i would much rather win than lose, but i walked out of the ground with the sense it was a wasted opportunity, we should have beat them by ten goals easily, when we decided to switch on, which we did through the 2nd and 3rd quarters it was like AFL vs a VFL a side. Given how close the season looks you can't really let a chance like that slip. I like to sit behind the goals when i'm at games as you can see the play unfold better in my opinion, and watching yesterday it was clear when our forwards lift their pressure it stifles the other team, and seems to lift the mids as well, and makes life a hell of a lot easier for the defence. Carlton used their half back line to set up most of their attack in the first and our forwards were lazy with their pressure, once they clicked into gear, things flowed a lot easier.

Positives

Hickey- Is seriously under rated, and if Nic does not come back i don't think it's going to be all doom and gloom, the guy is seriously good in close with his hands, and does not mind getting down and dirty. Is a pretty decent mark and gets around the ground ok.

Defence - I've said it before, the best in the league by a mile, for mine Schofield has to stay, sure he wasn't great yesterday, but by him playing it frees Gov up to do what Gov does best and that is float and round and pick off the incoming ball. Let's remember Will was against a youngster yesterday who is always going to have more energy. Our smaller defenders all have pretty decent kicking skills and can play on either big or tall.

Waterman- People our harsh on him, when you watch from behind the goals you see the amount of hard running he does, with him and Oscar, we have our next key forwards after JK and JD finish their time, both of them will be very good footballers in the long run.

Ryan- I'll be honest i did not think he would make it, glad i'm wrong, he is seriously good and is only in his second season, sure at times he may bite of more than he can chew, but i'd rather he tried and we have the X factor up forward rather than all being the same.

Negatives

Only one, not playing four quarters of football, something that has been quite regular this season teams like Richmond, Geelong and Brisbane won't let us off so easily if we do that in finals. We always seem to have another gear most of the time, i would much rather we stay in that gear for a bit longer in games.

Nailed it - Totally agree.

Negatives

The Geelong that played one quarter against the Violet Crumbles?
And Richmond and Brisbane play four quarters every week , week in week out? Get real.

As someone who has been a bit of a Nelson defender, I'm feeling bloody pumped for the lad today. Thought he really showed something today. Bloody ripper.

On another note, Redden has morphed into a giant red angry emoji, and I love it.

Redden is our angry bull. We need that come finals.

Recon he will get a week for a sling tackle on Setterfield. Hutch to come in.

I think people are selling the win a bit short. Of course it would have been nice to win by more and Darling missed a couple he should have nailed but Carlton have been one of the form teams the last 6 or so weeks. They gave us a good game and we won pretty convincingly even if not fully reflected on the scoreboard. Further, whilst Schofield was beaten at times, Harry McKay is 204cm to Schoey's 196cm. He may have lowered his colours slightly but McKay can play and mark and has youth on his side. Our defence overall looks better with Schoey in the side (even if at times I worry it's too tall), with it allowing McGovern and Barrass to play their natural games.

Positives - (some of the lesser lights) -

Hickey - the guy looks so ungainly at times (actually even when standing still) but he really has been excellent for us. He competes in the ruck, acts as another midfielder at times, plucks it out of the air and moves it forward, contests on the ground in packs and can take a mark and kick a goal.

Nelson - I have always been a fan and always thought there was an AFL footballer there if given the time. He is playing really well and can only improve.

Ryan, Yeo, Redden, Darling, Rioli, Shep, Gov, Barrass - Go without saying.

Also honourable mentions to Petch (who got more involved and looked good, apart from the usual run past the ball) and Cameron (who whilst quietish, popped up with important tackles, pressure and a goal). Jetta was quieter than usual but his field kicking can be a thing of beauty.

Negatives -

Sheed was obviously not right for whatever reason. A very ordinary game by his standards.

Masten - his worst game in a few weeks. I think people are generally way too harsh on Masto and don't think he should be dropped (although he is now borderline best 22 and we should be open to blooding other options at times or if poor form continues) but he seemed to slow momentum more than usual, get caught more than usual and even his kicking into 50 wasn't at his usual standard. I am coming to the belief that he should actually start on the bench. His first 5 minutes are often the worst and then it comes good (although this game, not so much). It was just a bit of a letdown as his last few weeks have been really good.

Hurn - not a bad game at all (although he looked a little off the pace) but my criticism is in regard to the kick ins. The slow, wait for the umpire to call play on or hurry up and then run to the right and kick down the line is so predictable. If oppositions teams and coaches aren't aware of it by now then they aren't doing their jobs. I realise a lot of teams do it but we need a bit more creativity at times from him. Jetta mixes it up and Hurn needs to more given his precision kicking.

Am I the only one who thought Petch was good today? Pushed hard up the ground all game and provided and outlet. Basically was doing the Cripps role all match. Kicking let him down at times, but I thought he did well compared to his recent quietish games.

No. I thought he was very good. Closed space quickly and put pressure on. Made sure he was available as an outlet. Prefer him to Cameron when Cripps is back.

I thought he was pretty handy too. I'll add that lately he has been deceptively good overhead for someone so small and slightly built.

I think some people's expectations are way too high for young players like him & OAllen. I'm stoked with both of them so far and have no issues with them being named in the side each week.
*Yep, am okay with Petch, he definitely ticks more boxes than he crosses, just still bobs up like a headless chicken and does those wild silly kicks, still on P -plates, will learn.

*Was curious to hear Simmo say something like 'people think we're pacing ourselves and can go up another gear? this is us playing our guts out, there isn't another gear? It's a tough comp and a tough season"
Hmm, coaches underplaying it perhaps? They definitely go up another gear in finals, more polish etc.
* And it was a good win, just a bit frustrating, and a typical fade out. (legs?)

On another note, Redden has morphed into a giant red angry emoji, and I love it.
Redden is often the angry ant out there, seen pushing players into the ground or getting caught up in a tussle. Never sure if he's the antagonist or returning the favour? Sometimes comes across as a bit of a dirty player, or has a bit of mongrel in him, shall we say?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except that wasn’t tunnelling. It was a 50/50 contest where they came from different angles. One player left the ground and the other didn’t.

Believe I’ve seen it paid the other way this year, J.Cripps got taken out by someone jumping for a contest and coping him high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was 100% tunnelling. Probably not deliberate. But he flipped the player and they could have been injured. Correct call.
Blatantly obvious call

It was 100% tunnelling. Probably not deliberate. But he flipped the player and they could have been injured. Correct call.
Blatantly obvious call

Dangerous!

Blatantly obvious call
The Mongrel Punt touches on this;

The first incident came when Tom Barrass collided with Michael Gibbons on the wing. Zac Fisher handballed to Gibbons, who leapt to collect the footy. Barrass arrived on the scene and laid a bump on the hip of the airborne Gibbons, taking him off his feet. The whistle blew – “dangerous” said the ump. And that was the decision.

“Dangerous”.

Not a high tackle. Not a low tackle. Not an incorrect spoil, as it wasn't a marking contest. It was simply two bodies colliding between the hip and the shoulder… which is completely legal. There was no elaboration on the decision, as though saying “dangerous” ends the discussion the same way someone uses the term “racist” to try and end a political discussion. There was no reason for the free kick other than the umpire being worried something “may have happened”. It wasn’t really tunnelling as the Barrass is completely within his rights to make contact with an opponent's hip, hence the term ‘hip’ and shoulder.

Play on.

+ We've got goal and mark of the year sewn up.
+ Hickey is the workhorse we needed to have
+ No credit on here for the pressure young Cameron brings.Hes worth his weight in gold.
+ OAllen what a gun.How clean is this kid below his knees?
+ Once Ryan or Rioli are involved in the forward line look out!!
+ Lifes good.B2B.
+ We are the new Hawthorn.Step aside or be crushed!

- Nelson is improving but he stands flat footed at times.
- Masten was stripped of the ball twice in the first 15 mns.With Cripps coming back couldnt Rioli play wing??
- Gov,Hurn and Nelson all charging forward ,ball in hand and unloading the big bomb into the forward line and straight back it came.Lower the eyes.
With so much pace and individual skill in the forward line cant we grubber kick to space? Whos going to beat our smalls in a race?? All our smalls inc Cameron and Petch can run and mark.
+ Sheed? Ugh! Try turning right occasionally mate!

I can't get too upset even though I wanted a bigger win. Carlton played decent for most of the game and are no longer the easybeats they once were.

It took some of the most scintillating footy any team has played this year to get back the lead and turn it into a comfortable one. This team is really priming for finals footy at the right time.

Hurn - not a bad game at all (although he looked a little off the pace) but my criticism is in regard to the kick ins. The slow, wait for the umpire to call play on or hurry up and then run to the right and kick down the line is so predictable. If oppositions teams and coaches aren't aware of it by now then they aren't doing their jobs. I realise a lot of teams do it but we need a bit more creativity at times from him. Jetta mixes it up and Hurn needs to more given his precision kicking.

Yes this was really pissing me off. We were clearing the ball much better last week with Jetta kicking out or using the 1-2 to really clear the ball- he has a number of good set plays. Hurn goes long to the right side boundary 90% of the time and short rh boundary the other 10%. In the 1st quarter and early in the 2nd quarter we were getting toweled up at the stoppages yet they would kick a behind, Hurn would kick long to the contest for the ball to be spoiled over the boundary and Carlton get another break away stoppage from 70m out and attack again. I reckon 50% of the I50s came from this exact play.
It was infuriating but at least we did realise eventually and gave Jetts some kick ins.

Yes this was really pi**ing me off. We were clearing the ball much better last week with Jetta kicking out or using the 1-2 to really clear the ball- he has a number of good set plays. Hurn goes long to the right side boundary 90% of the time and short rh boundary the other 10%. In the 1st quarter and early in the 2nd quarter we were getting toweled up at the stoppages yet they would kick a behind, Hurn would kick long to the contest for the ball to be spoiled over the boundary and Carlton get another break away stoppage from 70m out and attack again. I reckon 50% of the I50s came from this exact play.
It was infuriating but at least we did realise eventually and gave Jetts some kick ins.
Its been a bugbear of mine for some time.At least he did a few 35m chips and hit players.Id have thought they would have a lot of set plays for the kickins.

General positive is we are starting to get better consistency from the fringe guy's. With a few best 22 waiting to come back this should have always happened but still good to see.
Hickey best game I can remember him playing, particularly given he was pretty much a lone wolf yesterday with a bit of chop out around the ground. Took good marks at the right time, provided pack pressure and rucked really well.
Small young fwds just getting better and better. Feel for whoever goes out for Cripps.
Nelson best game for a long time, or ever.
Yeo, Shuey and Gaff get it done when it needs to be done.
Back line sooo good.
Cripps looking like he was going to tear it up early only to be put in his place by Yeo and Shoo.

Umpiring was so WTF. How many throws I saw from that little 2 handed flick from the ground was very annoying and then the "Dangerous play" from Barrass just standing his ground. I mean really???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back