Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes this was really pi**ing me off. We were clearing the ball much better last week with Jetta kicking out or using the 1-2 to really clear the ball- he has a number of good set plays. Hurn goes long to the right side boundary 90% of the time and short rh boundary the other 10%. In the 1st quarter and early in the 2nd quarter we were getting toweled up at the stoppages yet they would kick a behind, Hurn would kick long to the contest for the ball to be spoiled over the boundary and Carlton get another break away stoppage from 70m out and attack again. I reckon 50% of the I50s came from this exact play.
It was infuriating but at least we did realise eventually and gave Jetts some kick ins.

I hope we've got some set plays that we use when we need them and try not to show them off too early. They'll be vital during finals if so.

We've tried to isolate one player on the opposite wing recently and if they can mark that ball it's game on. Unfortunately the kick hasn't quite nailed it or the mark has been disrupted.

I did like the Jetta chip to Hurn then Jetta running overlap to get it back. It puts Jetta already at pace with the ball 40 out from defence heading up the corridor and opens everything up.

wirrathunda

Rookie
Aug 18, 2009
South Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Liam Ryan just gets better and better with every game he plays.
+ We got a win against “The new Carlton”
+ Defensively we marked EVERYTHING!
+ Elliot Yeo!
+ Our skills (hand and foot) in dry weather footy, I think, is the best in the league. The way we move the ball is so silky and clean. Rioli, Jetta, Ryan, Yeo, Shuey...so clean!

- It’s sad that the commentators are paid (good money I’m sure) to do ONE job and they can’t seem to do it without overtly displaying their bias. Yes yes, it’s been talked about over and over again but geez! The way they sounded so depressed and upset when we kicked our goals was just cringe worthy. Once Carlton kicked their goals you could almost hear their chairs flying back from when they left their seats to celebrate. 🙈🙈🙈

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
The Mongrel Punt touches on this;

The first incident came when Tom Barrass collided with Michael Gibbons on the wing. Zac Fisher handballed to Gibbons, who leapt to collect the footy. Barrass arrived on the scene and laid a bump on the hip of the airborne Gibbons, taking him off his feet. The whistle blew – “dangerous” said the ump. And that was the decision.

“Dangerous”.

Not a high tackle. Not a low tackle. Not an incorrect spoil, as it wasn't a marking contest. It was simply two bodies colliding between the hip and the shoulder… which is completely legal. There was no elaboration on the decision, as though saying “dangerous” ends the discussion the same way someone uses the term “racist” to try and end a political discussion. There was no reason for the free kick other than the umpire being worried something “may have happened”. It wasn’t really tunnelling as the Barrass is completely within his rights to make contact with an opponent's hip, hence the term ‘hip’ and shoulder.

Play on.

Totally baffling call that one. That ump needs a lecture.

Last edited:

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I liked Petch's game overall

but here were a couple of instances of running around the ball instead of B lining it.
one of them resulted in a shot on goal for Carlton...it was a 'soft' effort

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Petch goes the ball the same way Jetta does, he's just not as clean as Jetta. It's the mindset of wanting to be accelerating straight after getting possession, to break open the play.

Look foolish when it doesn't work.

I think what annoyed me yesterday was that so many times we really did move it well to the 50m arc and then choked. Cameron, Shuey, Masten, Ryan, Petruccelle & Gaff all wasted inside 50s under zero pressure. Uncontested kicks, with forwards open and just executing poorly or making the wrong decision, to the forwards who weren't open.

It felt like it really should have been a much bigger margin given how we had some very open looks at a relatively open f50.

Aug 14, 2009
Port Kennedy
AFL Club
West Coast
- It’s sad that the commentators are paid (good money I’m sure) to do ONE job and they can’t seem to do it without overtly displaying their bias. Yes yes, it’s been talked about over and over again but geez! The way they sounded so depressed and upset when we kicked our goals was just cringe worthy. Once Carlton kicked their goals you could almost hear their chairs flying back from when they left their seats to celebrate. 🙈🙈🙈

It's not just the bias its mistakes every week.

The Ryan and Rioli get mixed up weekly.

And yesterday Oscar Allen got the ball and then got called Jackson err Oscar Nelson on an attempted correction. The other commentator made a point about a minute later of calling Jackson Nelson very clearly when he got a touch.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah that dangerous free kick was bizarre. 50/50 went at him side on didn't collect him anywhere dangerous.

For people only just seeing Nelson's worth he is just getting back to where he was on 2017 before he got that hand injury.
In that Hawthorn game at the G where we got smashed he was arguably BOG for us. He just seems to need a run at it and build his confidence and he gets there.

wirrathunda

Rookie
Aug 18, 2009
South Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

And yesterday Oscar Allen got the ball and then got called Jackson err Oscar Nelson on an attempted correction. The other commentator made a point about a minute later of calling Jackson Nelson very clearly when he got a touch.

Yeah that Mitch McGovern one was a complete joke!

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

This is about 4 seconds before he calls out "Elliot Barrass" as well.

Such a bad passage of play for him to call, couldn't do a thing right.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I hope we've got some set plays that we use when we need them and try not to show them off too early. They'll be vital during finals if so.

We've tried to isolate one player on the opposite wing recently and if they can mark that ball it's game on. Unfortunately the kick hasn't quite nailed it or the mark has been disrupted.

I did like the Jetta chip to Hurn then Jetta running overlap to get it back. It puts Jetta already at pace with the ball 40 out from defence heading up the corridor and opens everything up.
Liam Ryan was the man on the weekend for the open side kick in. Worked well as he’s good both in the air and has the pace on the ground. Reckon if we can work out a pace missmatch for either Flyin or Petch, Jetta spiraling it to the wing, we’ll get a lot of end to end stuff going.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Liam Ryan was the man on the weekend for the open side kick in. Worked well as he’s good both in the air and has the pace on the ground. Reckon if we can work out a pace missmatch for either Flyin or Petch, Jetta spiraling it to the wing, we’ll get a lot of end to end stuff going.

Yeo had one last week and I thought he was possibly impeded in the marking contest but the kick held up a little bit which forced him to try and mark overhead.

Last edited:

LeGresham

Debutant
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Mongrel Punt touches on this;

The first incident came when Tom Barrass collided with Michael Gibbons on the wing. Zac Fisher handballed to Gibbons, who leapt to collect the footy. Barrass arrived on the scene and laid a bump on the hip of the airborne Gibbons, taking him off his feet. The whistle blew – “dangerous” said the ump. And that was the decision.

“Dangerous”.

Not a high tackle. Not a low tackle. Not an incorrect spoil, as it wasn't a marking contest. It was simply two bodies colliding between the hip and the shoulder… which is completely legal. There was no elaboration on the decision, as though saying “dangerous” ends the discussion the same way someone uses the term “racist” to try and end a political discussion. There was no reason for the free kick other than the umpire being worried something “may have happened”. It wasn’t really tunnelling as the Barrass is completely within his rights to make contact with an opponent's hip, hence the term ‘hip’ and shoulder.

Play on.
The umpire said the wrong thing but made the right call.
You don't actually think it is ok to bump a guy who is in the air causing him to potentially come down head first do you?
That post of yours is some of the craziest nonsense I have read on here

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
The umpire said the wrong thing but made the right call.
You don't actually think it is ok to bump a guy who is in the air causing him to potentially come down head first do you?
That post of yours is some of the craziest nonsense I have read on here
No he didn't. There is no rule or law against it so it was a terrible call.

Mitch Robinson smashed a guy in a tackle, said player had his arms above his head therefore at risk of rib damage - is that covered by this new 'dangerous' free kick?

How about a player collapsing in a marking contest when a player goes for a screamer? Where is the line? Tunnelling in a marking contest and dangerous/sling tackles are rightfully banned, but a dangerous bump is a strange one!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 29 Bounces

Gaff 27 (17w, 10i)
Masten 26 wing
Yeo 24
Redden 23 (5w)
Shuey 23 (4w)
Sheed 22 (6w)

Rucks:
Hickey 23
O.Allen 6

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au

Yeo 4
Hicker 4
Redden 2
Shuey 2

1st Half - 17

Gaff 16 (9w, 7i)
Masten 16 wing
Redden 14 (2w)
Yeo 13
Shuey 13 (3w)
Sheed 13 (4w)

Hickey 14
O.Allen 3

2nd Half - 12

Gaff 11 (8w, 3i)
Yeo 11
Masten 10 wing
Shuey 10 (1w)
Sheed 9 (2w)
Redden 9 (3w)

Hickey 9
O.Allen 3

Notes:
- After adding Waterman & Nelson to the midfield rotation against Melbourne (the equal 2nd most players you've used in a game this year), you were back to equalling your record for Rd 17 for the lowest ever players rotated through the midfield in a match (by any side).

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Anyone have a gif of Nelson’s chase?
roadrunner.gif

hudson2006

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2010
Kyoto
AFL Club
West Coast
Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 29 Bounces

Gaff 27 (17w, 10i)
Masten 26 wing
Yeo 24
Redden 23 (5w)
Shuey 23 (4w)
Sheed 22 (6w)

Rucks:
Hickey 23
O.Allen 6

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au

Yeo 4
Hicker 4
Redden 2
Shuey 2

1st Half - 17

Gaff 16 (9w, 7i)
Masten 16 wing
Redden 14 (2w)
Yeo 13
Shuey 13 (3w)
Sheed 13 (4w)

Hickey 14
O.Allen 3

2nd Half - 12

Gaff 11 (8w, 3i)
Yeo 11
Masten 10 wing
Shuey 10 (1w)
Sheed 9 (2w)
Redden 9 (3w)

Hickey 9
O.Allen 3

Notes:
- After adding Waterman & Nelson to the midfield rotation against Melbourne (the equal 2nd most players you've used in a game this year), you were back to equalling your record for Rd 17 for the lowest ever players rotated through the midfield in a match (by any side).
Thanks for that. We really are relying on the good work of a few very consistent midfielders, hopefully they can hold up another couple of months.

This could also mean Simmo is keeping a few cards hidden before the finals, ie. throwing Rioli, Nelson, etc. into the middle.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Hurn - not a bad game at all (although he looked a little off the pace) but my criticism is in regard to the kick ins. The slow, wait for the umpire to call play on or hurry up and then run to the right and kick down the line is so predictable. If oppositions teams and coaches aren't aware of it by now then they aren't doing their jobs. I realise a lot of teams do it but we need a bit more creativity at times from him. Jetta mixes it up and Hurn needs to more given his precision kicking.
I think Hurn could sometimes take a riskier option in direct play. However, when there's no space and run at a kick-in and the risk of a turnover is too great, you wait for your talls to float across and set up on either flank for the percentage play. We rely on this when tired or if the opposition is setting up well, and it helps that we have good talls.

And taking the short option in the pocket can draw players across, thus setting up the switch, or release over the top; a safer method to creating damaging rebound than a risky in-board kick-in (which can also be targeted by opposition coaches). Hurn's very good at directing the setups.

We're lucky to have Jetta. His flat, penetrating kicks and vision makes it possible to hit up a standing teammate 60m away. Hurn is a better defender, and his kicks are damaging in their number, and value to the team gameplan. He's sacrificed his creativity in order to safely, reliably move the footy out of defense, allowing others like Jetta to be in attacking rebound positions.

That's not to say Hurn can't improve further under the new rule, and unleash some bombs in the finals.

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
We're lucky to have Jetta. His flat, penetrating kicks and vision makes it possible to hit up a standing teammate 60m away. Hurn is a better defender, and his kicks are damaging in their number, and value to the team gameplan. He's sacrificed his creativity in order to safely, reliably move the footy out of defense, allowing others like Jetta to be in attacking rebound positions.
While it wasn't Jetta's best game (think he was meant to be accountable for Gibbons for a good amount of time there), it's just a thing of beauty to watch him pick a guy out 60m down the middle of the ground with precision.

With a couple of his kicks, it took me a good second or two after he kicked to actually see what he'd anticipated unfolding down the ground before he even kicked the ball. He doesn't just see the space or spare man, he sees where the gaps are about to be.

Big_Birdy

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
One positive out of not blowing the Blues away is we haven’t sapped their confidence for this weekend. An upset win would be ideal, but at least if they can keep the damage to a minimum then we should keep a healthy % gap on the Tigers

Back