Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like with all the hype that it was going to bucket down with rain it possibly confused a few when it ended up being pretty dry for all if not most of the match. It definitely felt like everyone got on the same page in the second half.

Love TKs work. brings a toughness around the ball that brings the rest of the mids with them.

Positives
+ the never say die attitude of this group especially JK and Hurn - when things where looking bleak their 110% efforts were noted and it lifted the other players
+ Nic Nat - what a thrill it is to watch this champ play - let’s hope we get a whole season
+ Shep......and where was Sweet Caroline.........who sacked the DJ!!!!
+ the mids- worked hard all day - yeah some moves didn’t hit the spot but I wouldn’t swap any of them.
SM - JD - some great marks today and goals
Negatives
-the twat Carlton supporter 2 rows back that was yelling to all and sundry to “king hit” Gaffy anytime he went near the ball - I nearly king hit the tosser myself, I think Gaffy had the last laugh.
- the crowd - 1/3 Carlton, 2/3 eagles,and many empty seats.......who ever decided the weather was a factor in going - you missed out. I be our Victorian eagles fans would have loved to have been there......

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

+'s

Backs did a solid job for most of the game considering we were really under pressure for a fair chunk of the game.
Shep is probably one of the most consistent, elite Eagles I have ever had the pleasure of remembering. That spoil and then damage control on Cole was amazing.
Shuey hulk smash
"Nic Nat No Stat". There's a pole, smoke it you campaigners!
The brief sun and then lifting of eagles was some act of god. Went from melting to humping the couch.
Kennedy starved of ball but he made some mammoth attempts.
Darling, yes.
Sheed: I was campaigning, like a campaigner with my campaign to have him dropped: I shall self-flagellate.
WIN STREAK, yeah boiii

-'s

We are dead set one of the worst wet ball / wet ground sides out there (serious Achilles if finals are wet)
Questioned the umpires ability to see, how he uses various objects etc. in graphic terms about 10 times per quarter.. wasn't happy.
Some of the Carlton fans, and they say we're a bogan side? Take a look there pal.
Ryan missing in action, though he had a few almosts (heard injured)
Cameron my tackling machine was awful - he's undercooked - back to wafl to freshen up
Ah Chee - a flash of brilliance and then smoko for the rest of the game
Strategy - woeful
Marking - woeful (granted it is wet but..)- full credit to Carlton they were amazing in the wet with their ball handling skills
Media talking up weather: should be fined every time they do this 'once in a decade storm warning' crap. Clickbait morons.

NN has been in terrific form and would be the current AA ruck however, there is merit in his lack of marks. I'm not sure what it is. Is it a depth/flight perception problem?

I'm not talking about him going to the backline or playing as an extra link/mid etc but when the ball is kicked in his area he has an enormous advantage with his height and athleticism, more often than not I see him going for the spoil. I don't really understand it.

The synergy between Naitanui and Kelly is something to behold. Shuey must be getting jealous of someone moving in on his territory.
I'm surprised that Yeo's synergy with Nic Nat hasn't been as great as the other two. Sheed's got a good snergy with Nic Nat but he isn't getting used as much.

Barrass is causing me concern.
He's been getting caught under the ball and dropping marks deep in defence for a few weeks now.
He's also doing his usual thing of allowing his opponents a free run and jump at the footy, hoping that his spoil connects. Granted, he was better in the second half (with the exception of the goal immediately after half time) but he's still good for conceding 2-3 goals a game at the moment.
His total reluctance to physically engage with his opponent, put them under pressure and play the percentages is maddening. He'd be such a good player if he had any semblance of craft in his game rather than relying on his physical gifts. Truly the anti-Glass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NN has been in terrific form and would be the current AA ruck however, there is merit in his lack of marks. I'm not sure what it is. Is it a depth/flight perception problem?

I'm not talking about him going to the backline or playing as an extra link/mid etc but when the ball is kicked in his area he has an enormous advantage with his height and athleticism, more often than not I see him going for the spoil. I don't really understand it.
He's been told to keep risky plays at a minimum to keep himself fit and not risk injury imo. Our season is cooked if he is, not surprising he plays reserved.

umpiring.

- Where the hell was the DJ today? I though there was the most miniscule chance this season of hearing Sweet Caroline over the PA system and the (hopefully) loud crowd participation element of it. Somehow Shep snaps one from the pocket, and .... silence. 😠 That gets a hearty West Coast BOOOOO from me.
Tim Kelly said on the radio the other day that the club has 'pulled the plug on it'. Not quite sure why, but regardless, its still disappointing :(

tbf he got wrapped up by darling and didn't even try . He knew it was futile darling knew it was futile . Darling had 25kgs and had him tight .

But the umps expected SPS to flop around like a caught salmon , wriggling and thrusting even though he was stuck fast .

The rule is bloody stupid me and my mate were laughing at how stupid it has got .

Don't know what the 50 was for .
Yeah no way that SPS one was htb. It was probably the obvious one where the umpires got it wrong (and in the end gifted us a goal after a 50).

Not the same, but how was it not a free against Eddie Betts when he barrelled into Barass' back? (Carlton ended up kicking the goal). Add that to a longish list of missed frees (both ways).

On the Duggan deliberate, I reckon Hurn got called for a similar one maybe 2 years ago... letter of the law it is deliberate (as it was a handball not a kick, which in itself makes no sense - but that is why it is the most difficult game to umpire).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

;)
Yeah no way that SPS one was htb. It was probably the obvious one where the umpires got it wrong (and in the end gifted us a goal after a 50).

Not the same, but how was it not a free against Eddie Betts when he barrelled into Barass' back? (Carlton ended up kicking the goal). Add that to a longish list of missed frees (both ways).

On the Duggan deliberate, I reckon Hurn got called for a similar one maybe 2 years ago... letter of the law it is deliberate (as it was a handball not a kick, which in itself makes no sense - but that is why it is the most difficult game to umpire).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The SPS htb was almost identical; to teh Yoe one.
Add the Cripps throw for a goal after a dodgy blocking free agains us.

All in all the umpiring was just poor, as bad as in several otrher games over the week.
Picking out isolated decisions against one team or another is just media rubbish. BF is above that;)

Given his knee injuries came from surging pack marks, maybe he's cautious now or has been instructed to not go full demolition mode?

BigFooty.com mobile app

I used to be a big fan of Betts, but thought he looked like a dirty snipper on several occasions yesterday. I noticed he went the man with a cheap hit rather than the ball. Not sure if anyone else noticed or I just imagined it, because I’ve never seen this in Eddie before.

The reason the SPS one got called HTB is because the ump was right there boundary side and could see he didn’t even try to attempt to get the ball out.

I guarantee you if the ump was in the corridor, he wouldn’t have given that and it would have been a ball up.

Positives
+ the never say die attitude of this group especially JK and Hurn - when things where looking bleak their 110% efforts were noted and it lifted the other players
+ Nic Nat - what a thrill it is to watch this champ play - let’s hope we get a whole season
+ Shep......and where was Sweet Caroline.........who sacked the DJ!!!!
+ the mids- worked hard all day - yeah some moves didn’t hit the spot but I wouldn’t swap any of them.
SM - JD - some great marks today and goals
Negatives
-the twat Carlton supporter 2 rows back that was yelling to all and sundry to “king hit” Gaffy anytime he went near the ball - I nearly king hit the tosser myself - I think Gaffy had the last laugh.
- the crowd - 1/3 Carlton, 2/3 eagles,and many empty seats.......who ever decided the weather was a factor in going - you missed out. I be our Victorian eagles fans would have loved to have been there......

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
..and even those of us in Sydney would like to have been there.

Last edited:
Given his knee injuries came from surging pack marks, maybe he's cautious now or has been instructed to not go full demolition mode?
That might be true for big pack marks, but not for 1-1 contests or when he is the tallest player there. It appears to me he doesnt even try,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back