Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Duggan when he had the ball was good.
His defending not so good.
Had 4 goals kicked on him by a young WA boy in Fisher.

Being at the game, Tom Barrass defending was putrid.
Dont mind him going for his marks should of probably spoiled a few, but that
is not where i have a problem with.
His defending against Casboult was very poor, gave up on the lead at least three times.
We are lucky Casboult cant kick.
The basics of defending standing side by side putting a arm across he just doesnt do,
gives a free run and jump at the ball for his opponent.
Barrass leaks goals I hope we get more games into young Edwards as he is a better long term prospect than Barrass.
Barrass tries to play to his strengths so much doesnt do the basics of defending, very very arrogant footballer.
Duggan missed one ball by my count when it bounced just below his hands.

Gaff failed to tap another ball through that lead to a Fisher goal.

Allen ran in the way of Barrass trying to spoil on one occassion inside 50 and Barrass missed the ball by centimetres.

I have no issue with either of Duggan's or Barrass' defending in this one. TB had 11 spoils, was going for marks he had every right to take, he was just dropping them early and then changed things up. Allen was also dropping marks he would eat up normally.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
seemed like our forwards got sucked up the ground a bit, particularly first half. We were getting quick turnovers at half back and going forward to out numbered forwards. One particular one had Darling against 4 Carlton players in our fwd 50 and the ball had to go to him as he was all we had.
Got better in the 2nd half, whether it was addressed or a reflection of winning the ball earlier not sure.

Good to see we have the extra gear to go when we need to. Hat's of to Carlton for coming to play and taking it up to us but they threw everything at us and we still just stepped up a gear and went slap.

Anyone who thinks we are favoured by the umps.............watch a Richmond game.

Spoon_Man

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Vikings, USC
EnchantingHatefulKiskadee-size_restricted.gif

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Cripps had contact on him before he even had possession. Shuey made an attempt as soon as he had it. Fair call was made I reckon.

I’d assume he’s being sarcastic because the rules are clear. No prior, reasonable attempt, play on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheed - Arguably BOG, what stood out at the game to me was his tackling and his handball work. His field kicking still leaves a lot to be desired, I can't recall the last time he sliced up a team with a few neat kicks through the middle. He loves having the goals to his right hand side so he can swing his leg through across his body. 5 tackles, 9 clearances and 2 goals is the best of Dom. 8 turnovers is the part that needs work. I would take that all day though to see him applying pressure like he did.
This one here was a dart that was dropped/fumbled by Waterman or Cripps.

Attachments

• nic6.gif
    nic6.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 111
Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
I reckon a lot of it comes from no one actually knowing the rule (because there doesn’t seem to be a black and white version of it). Players are now more inclined to try and shovel it out or the ball spilling free from guys flapping around because of the new interpretation.

If we strip it right back and just say “You have every right to hold the ball in as much as you like with no prior opportunity but if that ball comes out of your possession any other way than a kick or a handball then you’re cooked”

I think it would be a lot easier to adjudicate. The only grey area would then be prior opportunity but that’s not usually too hard if you just use steps as a guideline. If you take a step or two with the ball under no pressure it’s prior. This “not making a genuine attempt” is bullshit when it comes to the SPS ones. There’s no way that ball is coming out so a token flap around to make it look like you’re “trying” is hilarious.

The rule is currently too subjective so you need to put very clear guidelines in place. No prior, you can play for the ball up. If you drop it or it spills out, pay the free kick no matter how much prior they had, its the player in possessions responsibility to keep that ball.

Reasonable attempt has nothing to do with prior opportunity. If a player has prior opportunity then the rule around “reasonable attempt” doesn’t come into effect because it’s HTB.

Clarkson complained about prior opportunity being ignored, or where a reasonable attempt has been made to dispose of the ball and no prior existed. Which is to say he wanted prior opportunity to be taken seriously or tightened.

Players like Cripps, Oliver have the strength to resist tacklers but more often than not dispose of the ball incorrectly with two hands simultaneously. So I’d be a fan of tightening incorrect disposal where prior opportunity isn’t clear. Especially where that incorrect disposal advantages the tackled players team mate.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Duggan missed one ball by my count when it bounced just below his hands.

Gaff failed to tap another ball through that lead to a Fisher goal.

Allen ran in the way of Barrass trying to spoil on one occassion inside 50 and Barrass missed the ball by centimetres.

Duggan was still on Fisher prior to that.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
We got shafted last week, and they didn't all go our way this week either. Matthew Lloyd wants the AFL to publicly admit one of those SPS frees was incorrect, and NN being tackled and not disposing correctly was incorrectly not paid.

I agree with both. My problem with the latter is that happens 20 times a game, and some Melbourne based clubs have midfielders that seem to build their game on that strategy. There should be no interpretation that the ball can be spilled out in the tackle. If you don't handball it, kick it, or attempt to dispose of it when you're tackled, pay a free.

If the AFL admits fault around Nic, he would want to be careful taking possession from the ruck this weekend as they'll be all over him.
I reckon a lot of it comes from no one actually knowing the rule (because there doesn’t seem to be a black and white version of it). Players are now more inclined to try and shovel it out or the ball spilling free from guys flapping around because of the new interpretation.

If we strip it right back and just say “You have every right to hold the ball in as much as you like with no prior opportunity but if that ball comes out of your possession any other way than a kick or a handball then you’re cooked”

I think it would be a lot easier to adjudicate. The only grey area would then be prior opportunity but that’s not usually too hard if you just use steps as a guideline. If you take a step or two with the ball under no pressure it’s prior. This “not making a genuine attempt” is bullshit when it comes to the SPS ones. There’s no way that ball is coming out so a token flap around to make it look like you’re “trying” is hilarious.

The rule is currently too subjective so you need to put very clear guidelines in place. No prior, you can play for the ball up. If you drop it or it spills out, pay the free kick no matter how much prior they had, its the player in possessions responsibility to keep that ball.
This is how it is now: the league clearly wants fewer stoppages, so they have told the umps to reward players who keep the ball in play (unless it’s very obvious they throw it), and penalise players for causing stoppages (unless it’s very obvious that they don’t have prior).

The first principle has been in place for about 5 years, hence the rise of the Bulldogs and Tigers game style of keeping the ball moving forward and running forward in packs. You can be confident of a loose ball get if you know you have enough players running together because your team mates are not going to hold onto the footy

The second principle has really started to be applied stringently this year. I suspect with the shortened games and low scoring matches, the league was getting concerned that there wouldn’t be enough goals (and therefore ad breaks). Now prior opportunity has basically been thrown out, and it’s more about making it look like you’re trying to let go of the ball

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
This season Yeo hasn't gone head2head with the big mids like he usually does. I guess with kelly in and NN handing out on a plater he doesn't need to go with them. That said he's yet to capitalise with the new found freedom.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
This season Yeo hasn't gone head2head with the big mids like he usually does. I guess with kelly in and NN handing out on a plater he doesn't need to go with them. That said he's yet to capitalise with the new found freedom.
I wish we would push him forward at times if he’s not having an impact in the middle. Seems like a waste of marking ability

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I wish we would push him forward at times if he’s not having an impact in the middle. Seems like a waste of marking ability
Honestly all three of our gun mids would make a better small forwward than Cameron/Ah chee or any of the depth smalls atm.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Q3 bonus clips (Q1 page 3, Q2 page 4, Q3 Nic page 6):

Nice touch from Ah Chee, he's doing some good things
AhChee1.gif

Cole in the hole
cole1.gif

Cole brave spoil
cole2.gif

Kelly drills it to Darling off a quick centre clearance
kelly1.gif

Rotham takes a relieving mark
rotham1.gif

Shep with some toe, Duggan rebounds quickly
team1.gif

Finishing off the previous play...
team2.gif

Nelson knocks on, Sheed bumps Cripps off the line to create space and get it to Nic (with Cameron's help).
Something from nothing; all of a sudden we're surging forward.
team3.gif

Like the way our forward-line pressures & works together to create this chance. Our attack isn't settled yet, but it's starting to gel.
team4.gif

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Don’t let Dark Sharks see that 🙅
I'd be interested to hear his interpretation, that's what it's all about :D

But imo that's not incorrect disposal/htb, just clever space protection and tapping/scrapping at ground level.
Sheed technically never had possession and Naitanui was tackled down instantly, the ball spilled loose as he fell to ground. Play on!

Back