Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Q4 Nic & stoppage connection (clips start page 3):

nic1.gif

nic2.gif

Kelly brought to ground, back up in time to tackle SPS
nic3.gif

This season Yeo hasn't gone head2head with the big mids like he usually does. I guess with kelly in and NN handing out on a plater he doesn't need to go with them. That said he's yet to capitalise with the new found freedom.

id argue that Yeo’s biggest talent shortfall is a natural reading of the play - however his physics attributes cover for it

when he goes head to head with the likes of bont /fyfe/danger /Martin etc - he invariably wins because they take him to the ball - and he’s talented enough to cover them when they go forward

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

To add to the negativity around the umpiring decisions, that is a free kick to Ryan for incorrect disposal/dropping the ball ....................... and I'm a Carlton supporter too.

The umpiring (both ways) was the biggest negative of the match, pure & simple.

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
To add to the negativity around the umpiring decisions, that is a free kick to Ryan for incorrect disposal/dropping the ball ....................... and I'm a Carlton supporter too.

The umpiring (both ways) was the biggest negative of the match, pure & simple.
The umpiring is what it is. I am just glad that we have games at all ATM. The losing team’s supporters often (usually/always) feel aggrieved by the umpiring. HTB decisions are a complete lottery currently since Clarko threw his ‘bomb’ into the interpretation. There does not seem to be any consistency but this has probably been the case since Aussie Rules began. I think umpires are very conscious of not favouring the Eagles at Optus since Alan Richardson threw in his ‘voice of affirmation’ comment and they now go the other way. ‘Voices of Affirmation’ apply at all grounds of course but I think he neglected to mention this.

On Sunday, I think the better team won. Carlton played well, especially being undermanned, but they are not at the level of the Eagles right now. They may be in one year, or two or three, but not right now. Your team is on the right trajectory.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
The umpiring is what it is. I am just glad that we have games at all ATM. The losing team’s supporters often (usually/always) feel aggrieved by the umpiring. HTB decisions are a complete lottery currently since Clarko threw his ‘bomb’ into the interpretation. There does not seem to be any consistency but this has probably been the case since Aussie Rules began. I think umpires are very conscious of not favouring the Eagles at Optus since Alan Richardson threw in his ‘voice of affirmation’ comment and they now go the other way. ‘Voices of Affirmation’ apply at all grounds of course but I think he neglected to mention this.

On Sunday, I think the better team won. Carlton played well, especially being undermanned, but they are not at the level of the Eagles right now. They may be in one year, or two or three, but not right now. Your team is on the right trajectory.

I'm not going to buy in to the "Voice of Affirmation" rubbish, both sides were gifted & reamed by some absolutely woeful decisions.

As for the result, pre-game I was expecting a 30-36 point loss so to come out of it losing by only 23 points is a huge positive for us.

Another negative for me was the CH7 commentary team who constantly had to reach for the tissues every time Nic Nat went within a postcode of the ball. Sure he played well but listening to Darcy & BT jizz themselves into ecstasy for even the most innocuous effort was incredibly irritating.

Just call the game as it is happening, we the people watching the broadcast will decide what to gush & scream over.

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not going to buy in to the "Voice of Affirmation" rubbish, both sides were gifted & reamed by some absolutely woeful decisions.

As for the result, pre-game I was expecting a 30-36 point loss so to come out of it losing by only 23 points is a huge positive for us.

Another negative for me was the CH7 commentary team who constantly had to reach for the tissues every time Nic Nat went within a postcode of the ball. Sure he played well but listening to Darcy & BT jizz themselves into ecstasy for even the most innocuous effort was incredibly irritating.

Just call the game as it is happening, we the people watching the broadcast will decide what to gush & scream over.
I too found the tv commentary horrible but from a different perspective. I rarely find the commentary so bad and so irritating that I mute it but I did with this at times. Daisy Pearce was totally annoying and I couldn't bear listening to her and not because she is a woman. It came across to me apart from BT that the commentary was a part of the Carlton cheer squad with their beanies and scarves and everything on. Pearce was analysing the game totally from a Carlton perspective as though she was part of the Carlton coaching team and Darcy wasn't much better. It came across as a 'Victorian product' for 'Victorians'. I am used to us just being the faceless opposition, or the black knight, but this was even worse than usual.

More controversy? Last time I checked players are allowed to shrug a tackle if they dispose legally (which he did).

If you were referring to Shuey's strength, disregard 😅

You're not allowed to be spin 360 in a tackle. Otherwise it's generally immediate HTB. With good umpiring anyway.

Nothing to do with Shueys strength. He doesn't shrug anything, he's being tackled the entire time and was spun 360 and took 2 more steps to boot.

How is it NOT a free, is the question?

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
You're not allowed to be spin 360 in a tackle. Otherwise it's generally immediate HTB. With good umpiring anyway.

Nothing to do with Shueys strength. He doesn't shrug anything, he's being tackled the entire time and was spun 360 and took 2 more steps to boot.

How is it NOT a free, is the question?
Was it 360 tho?

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
I too found the tv commentary horrible but from a different perspective. I rarely find the commentary so bad and so irritating that I mute it but I did with this at times. Daisy Pearce was totally annoying and I couldn't bear listening to her and not because she is a woman. It came across to me apart from BT that the commentary was a part of the Carlton cheer squad with their beanies and scarves and everything on. Pearce was analysing the game totally from a Carlton perspective as though she was part of the Carlton coaching team and Darcy wasn't much better. It came across as a 'Victorian product' for 'Victorians'. I am used to us just being the faceless opposition, or the black knight, but this was even worse than usual.
Listening to the Port Richmond game was even worse.IN THE BACK was screamed by one the commentators barracking so badly i was quite disgusted.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheppard's work at ground level isn't as assured as other medium defenders. He's fantastic spoiling and aerially, but can be a bit fumbly when the ball's on the ground, which I reckon makes the media not rate him as highly

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah the commentators are really getting on-board with the GCS, St K and Carlton rapid improvement narrative this year

Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
This has probably already been posted, but got to enjoy this from the Carlton fans. Everyone talks about making the big youtube video & sending it to the AFL, but not many have this level of follow through, especially in a game where you've lost by 4 goals.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
This has probably already been posted, but got to enjoy this from the Carlton fans. Everyone talks about making the big youtube video & sending it to the AFL, but not many have this level of follow through, especially in a game where you've lost by 4 goals.

It's funny because most of those highlighted are the correct call.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Feels like much less. Honestly I think that should be fine. There way more dubious ones missed.
Riding the tackle is an essential part of footy. There's no free in that clip, but it is tight.

In real-time (this is a stuttering Gif), Shuey kept his feet, looked for an outlet and disposed legally just in time. Umpire would've been on it if he took another step I reckon, or if he was brought to ground and the ball spilled out. He accelerated the spin of the tackle with his own motion and was relatively composed.

Last edited:

Spoon_Man

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Vikings, USC

That brought a tear to my eye..

Back