Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Cockburn

Remove this Banner Ad

There was one saying the only good thing to come out of this half will be if we hospitalise Nic Nat. Great stuff.

You’d almost think they’re perpetually stuck in our shadow, as though perhaps there’s kids in a Year One classroom today who have never been alive for a Fremantle win.
I saw that NN post!
Sad really, reading their posts, a lot of angst, despair, disillusionment, some threatening to quit Freo.
I almost felt a twinge of sympathy, but seconds later I was fine!
It is an almost existential problem to always be in our shadow - and we have an almost state branding with West Coast Eagles...it's as though they need a total re-branding exercise. They've tried everything to be disconnected from that little brother image (during sad sack Rosko's time) pumping up their own tyres but they just keep leaking air...
Change name, colours, all that anchor stuff, anything...GSP -Greater Southern Perth, SCS -South Coast Sailors, CSC-Coffee Strip Cruisers, HSH -High Street Hellraisers(or Hipsters), RHR-Round House Roustabouts etc.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
+ ve.

It was fun whilst it lasted.

- ve.

Teasing Dockers supporters is now Bullying.

Why?

Good-natured teasing is a way for people to communicate with each other and done in the right spirit, this banter can be positive (and very enjoyable for eagles supporters).

Just like when your best mate misses that 3 pointer and you say, "Nice shot Bryce".

We can all laugh it off and it shows we can all joke around and still be friends.

But teasing can also be used to communicate the negative and is often used to establish a “top dog”.

For examaple, a group of girls might tease one in the group about her weight. Or kids might tease little Nathan saying “What a little wimp, you wear mascara and a purple footy jumper.”

In cases such as this, what’s playful to us may not be playful to another and can lead to hurt feelings.

So perhaps we need to reel it in, ask our purple loving mates (if you have any) if they are RUOK and get them to show us where it hurts on the nice lady doll.
Why the * are you friends with someone called Bryce?

I have to think which is which when I see a photo of one of them, but put them together and it's like Schwarzanegger and DeVito.
Just a shave and a change of hairstyle for one of them would fix the identity problem, a mullet perhaps!?

Last edited:

Any win is a great win considering the circumstances in relation to the number of first-choice players that are missing, but to respond like this after the debacle in Geelong is without question very encouraging.

However, it must be said that this was a really odd match. For long periods it felt more like a preseason warm-up than an actual match for premiership points.

I must admit that I did not anticipate this result. Perhaps I underestimated the ability of our depth whilst overestimating the capability of Fremantle.

I had expected Kelly and Gaff to be tagged, with Fyfe and Mundy using their size to batter Sheed and Redden around the stoppages, providing Fremantle with first use of the ball time and time again.

As we know, none of that happened. Whether by instruction or incompetence, Fremantle provided zero defensive accountability throughout the game. The pressure they applied was non-existent, they stood off rather than ran with their West Coast counterparts and left the front of the stoppage open for exploitation by the Eagles all match. Frankly, from all appearances it is questionable the intent of the desire of Fremantle to win this match at all.

That is not to take away from a great performance by West Coast, but the Dockers facing an opponent that was seriously wounded coming in, seemingly did everything they could to play to the strength of that wounded opposition. I have been an advocate of Longmuir as their coach, but his efforts concerning this match were appalling and arguably self-destructive in their outcome.

Given freedom to attack the ball without opposition attention, Kelly did exactly what he was traded in to do. Similarly, Gaff was given space to roam and accumulate at will whilst Sheed and Redden escaped any significant pressure around stoppages. Just four players (Kelly, Sheed, Redden and Naitanui) combined for 34 clearances between them.

Without any defensive pressure, this became a game of circle-work execution, which suits this Eagles' team perfectly. West Coast players got their hands on the ball first and Fremantle turned it over when they did get possession - the result was a one-sided blowout.

Logue standing 10 metres behind all match made Kennedy look like he had turned the clock back ten years whilst Cox was turned into a caravan chasing after Darling without any success. Between them the two pillars up forward had 7 goals and 18 score involvements, capitalising upon some very poor defensive efforts by the opposition.

With the midfield on top and the ball positioned within the front half for long periods, it allowed greater impact from non-key forwards - Jones, Cripps and Langdon combined for 56 disposals, 23 contested possessions and 6 goals.

A makeshift defence missing McGovern, Barrass and Hurn with five players aged 23 or under conceded just two goals during the second half. The question was asked and they each individually and collectively stood-up when needed. Rotham continues to grow into his role with each match that he plays (still has only played 21 matches - a lot of development yet to come) and H.Edwards carpeted a far more experienced Lobb in just his second taste at senior level.

Allen displayed again that he is the best young key position player in the competition. Played outside of his customary forward position due to the injury crisis down back, he was a defensive rock and his move onto Taberner during the second half is arguably the tactical change that decisively shifted the outcome of the match. After kicking 3 goals and looking ominous in the first half, Taberner was crushed by Allen, gaining a solitary possession in the second half - whilst Allen had 6 disposals and 4 score involvements himself during that period. It's easy to forget that Allen has only just turned 22 and is still yet to play 50 games - he is such a special talent.

Waterman played the role of third tall forward perfectly once again, taking 8 marks and hitting the scoreboard with 3 goals. As always, the headache will be in future in finding a way to extract the best from him when the three of Darling, Kennedy and Allen are positioned up forward.

The emergence of Brander continues to be the highlight of this season so far. His potential to impact at AFL level was undeniable, however for various reasons that potential had failed to be realised in previous years. Now it appears he has carved a place in the team and is starting to gain the confidence that he belongs at top level. He has talent in buckets - I still strongly believe that we are only scratching at the surface of what he is capable of. His ability to rapidly assess situations and make the correct decision with disposal is going to become more and more of a weapon as he develops.

As described at the start of this, any win with this many outs is a great win. But it must be said this match was little more than AFLX played on an oval.

The opposition were lamentable and West Coast put them away. Well done, 4 more points towards the end of the season.

It must be expected that no other opponent this season will roll over so easily as Fremantle did in this match.

This is what stops us playing good footy and been our undoing for so long so surprised they didnt even bother to be somewhat physical.

Reviewing the stats, Oscar Allen deserves more credit.

Mr Fix Anyposition

Against the utensil Burners, he had 9 pressure acts, 6 One Percenters and 6 Spoils. All this while being equal 6th highest TOG. All this and he earns 47 points!!!

No Gov or Barrass, he did the job. I guess he will be having a pretty decent review this week. Oh, Edwards and Rotham owe him a beer. He would be pretty happy that our mids dried up Freo's forward entry supply (when he is not rucking). Just saying. Come on Bailey Williams, get match fit and relieve him from ruck knocks.

Any win is a great win considering the circumstances in relation to the number of first-choice players that are missing, but to respond like this after the debacle in Geelong is without question very encouraging.

However, it must be said that this was a really odd match. For long periods it felt more like a preseason warm-up than an actual match for premiership points.

I must admit that I did not anticipate this result. Perhaps I underestimated the ability of our depth whilst overestimating the capability of Fremantle.

I had expected Kelly and Gaff to be tagged, with Fyfe and Mundy using their size to batter Sheed and Redden around the stoppages, providing Fremantle with first use of the ball time and time again.

As we know, none of that happened. Whether by instruction or incompetence, Fremantle provided zero defensive accountability throughout the game. The pressure they applied was non-existent, they stood off rather than ran with their West Coast counterparts and left the front of the stoppage open for exploitation by the Eagles all match. Frankly, from all appearances it is questionable the intent of the desire of Fremantle to win this match at all.

That is not to take away from a great performance by West Coast, but the Dockers facing an opponent that was seriously wounded coming in, seemingly did everything they could to play to the strength of that wounded opposition. I have been an advocate of Longmuir as their coach, but his efforts concerning this match were appalling and arguably self-destructive in their outcome.

Given freedom to attack the ball without opposition attention, Kelly did exactly what he was traded in to do. Similarly, Gaff was given space to roam and accumulate at will whilst Sheed and Redden escaped any significant pressure around stoppages. Just four players (Kelly, Sheed, Redden and Naitanui) combined for 34 clearances between them.

Without any defensive pressure, this became a game of circle-work execution, which suits this Eagles' team perfectly. West Coast players got their hands on the ball first and Fremantle turned it over when they did get possession - the result was a one-sided blowout.

Logue standing 10 metres behind all match made Kennedy look like he had turned the clock back ten years whilst Cox was turned into a caravan chasing after Darling without any success. Between them the two pillars up forward had 7 goals and 18 score involvements, capitalising upon some very poor defensive efforts by the opposition.

With the midfield on top and the ball positioned within the front half for long periods, it allowed greater impact from non-key forwards - Jones, Cripps and Langdon combined for 56 disposals, 23 contested possessions and 6 goals.

A makeshift defence missing McGovern, Barrass and Hurn with five players aged 23 or under conceded just two goals during the second half. The question was asked and they each individually and collectively stood-up when needed. Rotham continues to grow into his role with each match that he plays (still has only played 21 matches - a lot of development yet to come) and H.Edwards carpeted a far more experienced Lobb in just his second taste at senior level.

Allen displayed again that he is the best young key position player in the competition. Played outside of his customary forward position due to the injury crisis down back, he was a defensive rock and his move onto Taberner during the second half is arguably the tactical change that decisively shifted the outcome of the match. After kicking 3 goals and looking ominous in the first half, Taberner was crushed by Allen, gaining a solitary possession in the second half - whilst Allen had 6 disposals and 4 score involvements himself during that period. It's easy to forget that Allen has only just turned 22 and is still yet to play 50 games - he is such a special talent.

Waterman played the role of third tall forward perfectly once again, taking 8 marks and hitting the scoreboard with 3 goals. As always, the headache will be in future in finding a way to extract the best from him when the three of Darling, Kennedy and Allen are positioned up forward.

The emergence of Brander continues to be the highlight of this season so far. His potential to impact at AFL level was undeniable, however for various reasons that potential had failed to be realised in previous years. Now it appears he has carved a place in the team and is starting to gain the confidence that he belongs at top level. He has talent in buckets - I still strongly believe that we are only scratching at the surface of what he is capable of. His ability to rapidly assess situations and make the correct decision with disposal is going to become more and more of a weapon as he develops.

As described at the start of this, any win with this many outs is a great win. But it must be said this match was little more than AFLX played on an oval.

The opposition were lamentable and West Coast put them away. Well done, 4 more points towards the end of the season.

It must be expected that no other opponent this season will roll over so easily as Fremantle did in this match.
Well said. Brander does some very good things at times. Always looks inside and doesn't hesitate to bite off those tougher passes. I'm looking forward to his continued development in a big way

When I watch Brander with his awkward kicking style I automatically assume the ball is not going to go where it's intended, like the one in-board I think to Duggan or even his running shot on goal look so unnatural. Even his kick to Darling which JD somehow dropped looked like it was going anywhere else. Hit them all though and liking what I see of him more every week.

+ Jones - keeps putting himself in the action which is the opposite of Petrecelle and Langdon.
+ Brander's 2nd half - worry is that when he has shown something has been when we are on top, when we're down he's invisible
+ Dothan - rock solid
++ - Kelly, Gaff, Ended, Darling, Redden, Allen, Kennedy, Naitanui - did what they had to do

- Edwards - towelled up by Taberner, looked better after moved to Lobb, but Lobb was doing nothing anyway. Still a !omg way off it
- Langdon - contributes zero and hasn't kicked a goal in six outings. If he was playing a defensive role that might be acceptable
- Petrecelle - all or nothing player, two unbelievable games in his career, virtually unsighted in every other match.
- Vardy - the sooner Bailey Williams is ready the better

Langtree kicked a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear I read something about it, may have been a post game thing had they won? Will look for a source.
I'm pretty sure they had fireworks ready. However, they used to do some fireworks after every win at home in the last few years at subi (remember that BS fan engagement fad the AFL had when Port started playing INXS?).

Positives.
-Edwards will be a key pillar down back in the future.
-Allen completely blanketed Tab.
-Roth/Brander/Waterman stood up.
-JJ lively.
-Team displayed a hardness not seen for a while and worked hard to the final siren.

Negatives.
-Langdon I guess. Having said that he did have 16 touches, 2 goals and 2 goal assists. He's not the smartest footballer though.
-Rarely play with that level of hardness/ruthlessness despite being capable of it.

There was one saying the only good thing to come out of this half will be if we hospitalise Nic Nat. Great stuff.

You’d almost think they’re perpetually stuck in our shadow, as though perhaps there’s kids in a Year One classroom today who have never been alive for a Fremantle win.

They also want Oscar Allen cited at the tribunal for deliberately trying to injure Frederick when he was going for the smother?
They truly live in their own little worlds at times, so detached from reality.

+'s
Most been said and agree that that was the closest thing to a 4 quarter effort we have seen this year. Slow start but got going and kept the pressure up.
OAllen - is there anywhere he cannot play? But prefer him forward.
Rotham - liking him more and more.

-'s
The gap between our best players (as good as any in the comp) and our bottom 6 is probably greater than any other club.
Small forwards.
Langdon, at 26, should be better. Not sure what we saw in him, but he's offering nothing right now.
Cripps. It was noteworthy in Q3 when he made a pickup and didn't fumble. Has slowed, usually fumbles, doesn't tackle as often as he used to (and when he does it doesn't stick) and is very selfish, regularly burning guys in better positions.
Petruccelle - boom or bust. Two brilliant games, a lot of meh. Want him to put it together consistently. He clearly can do it.
I'm hoping our small forwards moving forwards are Ryan, Rioli and Winder with Cameron or Petrucelle being the start on the interchange guy.
Midfield
we know the problems. Still showed a lack of pace and thankfully Freo exerted even less pressure than we did.
Vardy did a few taps to advantage and kicked a goal. But it's still nowhere near enough to deserve a spot in the 22. We are playing a man down and every time we come up against a good team it kills us.

Can we beat Hawthorn? At home it would be a pretty confident yes. Away?...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back