Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Cockburn

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Kelly, Sheed and Redden were bit average in the first half. Sheeds and Reddens intensity and even disposal was average and TK didn’t use it as well. Those three lifting in the second half won us the midfield battle

Suffice to say our midfield was getting beaten at half time (although hanging on), however, their midfield just didn't show up in the second half.
Sheed ran rings around them early in the third and then Kelly got off the chain in the last quarter completely.

Last edited:

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking forward to the dynamics of Witherden and Hurn in the same team. Does this make us less predicable and also teams can't shut them both down.

Was a great game to watch, no expectations, and actually enjoyed the commentary: felt like mates having an informal rolling commentary.

Just cautious though on which team (head-space) rocks up to tackle Hawks.

It felt like the first quarter or so, we were still reeling from the Geelong shellacking.

Then we got our mojo back. Here's hoping we turned the corner of our lowest point.

Bizzare game by Freo.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking forward to the dynamics of Witherden and Hurn in the same team. Does this make us less predicable and also teams can't shut them both down.

Was a great game to watch, no expectations, and actually enjoyed the commentary: felt like mates having an informal rolling commentary.

Just cautious though on which team (head-space) rocks up to tackle Hawks.

It felt like the first quarter or so, we were still reeling from the Geelong shellacking.

Then we got our mojo back. Here's hoping we turned the corner of our lowest point.

Bizzare game by Freo.
Hopefully Witherden continues to take kick ins.

He's more creative than Hurn after a point, and potentially having Hurn as a receiver 40-50 from goal should help us clear the zone.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
So bored at work, did a comparison of disposals per game

Home
Duggan 24
Kelly 31.5
Sheed 29
Redden 29.75
Gaff 31.25

Away
Duggan 18
Kelly 22.7
Sheed 20.7
Redden 21
Gaff 21.3

Some big drop off's across the board there, albeit from a small sample set this year

HoneyBadger35 some stats for the pod?

As a consequence of flying East, I assume, as opposed to being at home. Just enhances how cushy Eastern State's teams have it. Like Collingwood and the likes of Richmond travel, what, 3 times a year - makes it much easier to win a GF, doesn't it.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
As a consequence of flying East, I assume, as opposed to being at home. Just enhances how cushy Eastern State's teams have it. Like Collingwood and the likes of Richmond travel, what, 3 times a year - makes it much easier to win a GF, doesn't it.
The conversation is always around how much better we play at home compared to away, but the heat never comes on the Victorian sides for playing so poorly away. I mean even accounting for “one sided crowd” it’s always conveniently forgotten that all interstate teams face that every second week. Conversely, Richmond couldn’t win away in 2017 & 2019 against the top sides but it didn’t really matter. They got the MCG to play their finals and their game plan was so well suited to that ground.

Interstate sides have to be such wonderful football sides to win premierships. I am very sceptical that an interstate side will ever win a flag outside of the top 4. (In the current set up) Backing up travel and winning finals is just so difficult.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Happy to see waterman do well. Hopefully this stop people scape goating him. He is hardly the ideal scapegoat. Vardy should be the one.

There still the elephant on our backs. Away games. It's not a thing but if we keep losing then we will be faced with the dreaded comments and aura of how we suck away.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
What grinds my gear the most is them calling us flat trackers as a result…. When they are s**t away from home

Hopefully Witherden continues to take kick ins.

He's more creative than Hurn after a point, and potentially having Hurn as a receiver 40-50 from goal should help us clear the zone.

Isn't Hurn out for weeks? If so we might not have a choice in the matter anyway. Hoping we can continue to pump games into and see improvement from Witherden, he looks a likely prospect.

Whenever Richmond posters say 'but no true home games!' on the main board I ask them the question whether they would instead prefer a fixture of 10 true home games at the MCG against interstate teams, and 10 times when they have to leave Victoria to play on an interstate side's own ground.

I never get a direct answer from them in response - ever.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
As much as I love Rotham and as good as he has been, theres on thing that really irks me about him. It's that his first option majority of the time is looking backwards or to the side. I don't entirely blame him for it but this was a guy that was drafted as an attacking defender. Like the good thing is that his decsion making should improve with experience. His twin on the other hand doesn't tend to get the ball that much but his kicks are very noticeable as he opens up the play with a quick/long kick that can open up the results the ball going into our 50. Josh IMO has the pace and better kicking skills to execute that as well.

I've loved the look of Ben Johnson at WAFL and I fear that his natural attacking instinct will be lost to the team system.

Last edited:

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Isn't Hurn out for weeks? If so we might not have a choice in the matter anyway. Hoping we can continue to pump games into and see improvement from Witherden, he looks a likely prospect.
Yeah unfortunately Hurn looks like another 3 weeks away (yet again we have a repeat injury trying to get a player back at the lower end of their estimate).

But I still hope and look forward to the day Hurn and Witherden are in the same side. It is possible to shut down or at least curb one designated kicker from the backline, but almost no chance of being able to blanket both (which, as we know, invariably means that both get a chance as usually any tag is switched to the player who is running hot).

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
So apparently on the eagle review, there was 0 ump call. Jack had a audible hallucination and decided he had played on. If so definitely jacks fart

It's a carry over fart from the week prior where he did the exact same thing and the ump did call it play on. He thought it was going to happen again and tried to get in front of it. The much easier solution would be not to do it at all.

I admire him trying to bring his team mates into the game but he's quite dumb, and always fluffs his attempts to do anything flashy or beyond the basics (playing on and getting done HTB is almost his one wood). Lose the party tricks, Jack. You'll probably kick another 20 goals per year.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a carry over fart from the week prior where he did the exact same thing and the ump did call it play on. He thought it was going to happen again and tried to get in front of it. The much easier solution would be not to do it at all.

I admire him trying to bring his team mates into the game but he's quite dumb, and always fluffs his attempts to do anything flashy or beyond the basics (playing on and getting done HTB is almost his one wood). Lose the party tricks, Jack. You'll probably kick another 20 goals per year.
Yep, if he gets a set shot anywhere inside the arc, be a greedy campaigner Jack and go back and slot it.

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

I think it was Petch running into the square asking for the handball. Maybe an instruction to the small forwards to not ask for gimmes within 20m of goal would help too.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
We did have a focus on the boys getting around each other during the Derby and really pumping up any good footy acts in lieu of a crowd to feed off, so this is possibly why JD went the handball to try and get the team up and about.

Bit different to JK who had an easy handball over the top later in the game but backed himself and kicked the goal. Get your own goals, you seagulls!

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
We did have a focus on the boys getting around each other during the Derby and really pumping up any good footy acts in lieu of a crowd to feed off, so this is possibly why JD went the handball to try and get the team up and about.

Bit different to JK who had an easy handball over the top later in the game but backed himself and kicked the goal. Get your own goals, you seagulls!
Jack is second only to Luke Shuey for goal assists at WC, so it’s not out of character for Jack to give those handballs off. Very selfless footballer. He doesn’t mess many up, really.

Josh is a very close 3rd, but I suppose the goal scoring opportunities aren’t coming as easily as they might have done in years gone by so he’s taking them for himself now. Which is fair enough, I think!

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Part of the reason we are so accurate is we have quite a few selfless forwards who look to improve the position and increase the likelihood of a goal. Cripps is probably our only forward who doesn't do this regularly. Other teams have more of his type I think, based on my entirely anecdotal evidence.

When it doesn't come off - e.g. those instances noted in the posts above - it is glaring and looks terrible. Not every decision to try improve position is the right one in the circumstances. But I think overall we are better off keeping this up.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Jack is second only to Luke Shuey for goal assists at WC, so it’s not out of character for Jack to give those handballs off. Very selfless footballer. He doesn’t mess many up, really.

Josh is a very close 3rd, but I suppose the goal scoring opportunities aren’t coming as easily as they might have done in years gone by so he’s taking them for himself now. Which is fair enough, I think!
He has an awkward chest marking action where he marks it in front of his chest with his hands instead of using his arms with elbows in at the bottom to trap the ball.

Hes often thinking of playing on and doesnt complete the mark before hes looking at whatever hes doing next and muffs the mark - which he wouldnt do if he marked it old skool.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

DD07D3B2-1C08-4F03-B75B-0D183386CA46.jpeg

Give them this

Then they wont lactonic

Back