Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next you'll be telling me that people don't literally want the club to fold.

Without the folding to look forward to, we have nothing.

Not footy related, but good luck for your season.

Thank you very much for booing that toxic, narcissistic campaigner!!
They sounded fired up. There must have been some coal around to fuel it. Or perhaps just the Aussie bush.

And last but not least - there’s a reason I posted only the most embarrassing quotes from the opening quarter of a football game when we were down by nine points.

I haven’t knocked any criticism later in the game. I haven’t knocked any valid criticism from the first quarter. I was critical myself in the game thread, playing the ball and not the man. Criticism is fine. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows at West Coast, and pointing that out in a fair enough manner is the point of a footy forum.

The only posts that got featured here were full on toys out of the cot meltdowns about a sports team you like trailing by two goals.
Fair enough but is it wrong to get it off your chest no matter gow stupid or moronic yhe comments are.

Thats what makes it hilarious for me. I go over the top on BF but physically quite calm in the stands/at home.

As supporters we have insanely high expectations due to how genuinely god tier our club has been for such a long time. For me the frustration stems from seeing guys like Gaff, Shep and NN who ate sh*t through the lean years only to have fate deprive them of a well earned cup and I see some players looking like they are coasting after having success when these guys who carried this club through some pretty rough times are still busting their guts trying to get theirs.

Agree 100%, I've been thinking much the same and I think that's why we're seeing these somewhat over the top melts.

Everyone senses that we're on the clock and feeling a bit of existential panic for those lads. So every middling performance or less than 100% effort just seems to be pouring sand into the hour glass.

It speaks to our sustained success as a club that really the only champion (and that's what he was) of the club not to win a flag with us is Priddis, so it's not something we're especially suited to dealing with!

So what were Howe and De Goey doing on the phone during the game? Quick sneaky SportsBet after they were both out or going full Duursma looking for a spit-roast tag team on Tinder?
The both copped serious injuries and were done for the day. I assume they were calling family to let them know how they were going. I don't have an issue with it at all.

Cant be too disappointed with that game. Sure they lost good players early and are just garbage in general but look who we had out and we were still comfortably in control. Some of the second tier players stepping up in the middle and our KPPs kicking us a winning score. That’s honestly all we can do until we get some firepower back in the middle and some creativity back in the small forwards (missing 5 of your best 10 players is going to leave a fair few holes around).

It’s disappointing that we don’t have a full team to be able to get big % boosters off these games but Im not going to say no to banking 6 goal wins until the bye. If our second choice mids can keep breaking even in the middle and scratch out wins until reinforcements arrive we can’t be unhappy with that.

Next week will be a good test but at worst we’re 3-3 and I think a lot of us had that as par before the season so all is not lost. If we win next week it could define our season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fair few thoughts from the replay:
• Not enough can be said about Oscar Allen. The forward craft is one thing, but he’s spoiling down back, he’s tapping the ball at the contest out to space. Just reads the game so well. Also liked seeing him give Kelly a spray when he tried to snap from 40 instead of handballing for the easiest goal of the day.

• On Kelly - how can someone’s hands go from so s**t to so good in six days? Clean as a whistle, but did get blinded by the goals a few times early.

• Brander still does his happy feet routine and doesn’t dive in to tackles with any ferocity, but his aggressive kicking was great and you can see why he was so highly rated. The more footy he gets the better, hopefully he can develop a bit of a physical edge to his game but it’s not there yet.

• Witherden could become a huge asset. We have a wealth of HBFs but, Duggan aside, none are particularly inspiring as consistent attacking options. Went very well, and applied more pressure than I’d expect given his reputation.

• Still should be dropped but I thought Vardy played better on replay than watching at the ground. Was noticeably burned a few times as many have said.

• Cripps and Langdon had so many shocking momentum killers. Seems like Cripps is good for one a week at the moment. Added two or three brilliant kicks too, but has found a way to throw in some shockers this season.

• Nelson tagging is a great asset to have. Did a nice job on Pendles and Sidey. I also like that he does it from the HFF spot at the centre bounce, rather than costing us a winger or defender in the 6-6-6 setup. Had Pendles begging for frees by the second quarter, big tick for the tagger.

• Exxon looked further off the pace last night than he has at any stage in his career I reckon. Worth persisting with but not a great night.

• A few contenders for tackle of the day, stopping a Pies player cold with a full head of steam. Season high for tackles as a unit.

• Shep just quietly beasts again. Didn’t see him much at the ground but his influence is everywhere on the replay. Similarly, Barrass could well be leading our B+F after five rounds.

• Duggan finds himself an extra half second to make the right decision consistently. Nice to see him as a wildly effective backline option rather than an ill fitting mid. 751m gained, class.

• Rotham has days where his kicking looks elite, but goodness me last night wasn’t one of them.

• Not sure I understand the criticism of Cole at times. A right physical prick of a back pocket. Showed last year he goes well up the ground too, if needed. A silly high free aside, he was exactly what you want from someone in that best 16-22 range, just quietly did the dirty work, solid disposal and didn’t give any forwards an easy day. Last 10mins of the second quarter was the Tom Cole show.

• Why the * didn’t Buckley move Moore back once Howe went down? They had two spares behind the ball but surely the better answer is one spare and an AA calibre guy down there? The blind hack kicks inside 50 were getting marked by our guns in the second quarter, and the ones off of actual leads and hit ups left the defenders with no chance. Simmo played his part by sending Waterman to stay forward in this spell too. Oscar Allen on Quaynor for stretches. Bizarre. Our guys should have exploited it more in the fourth and loaded up to go long.

• Grundy a complete non entity after quarter time. Such a shame he’s cooked the Pies books and all they get in return is some great dream team stats with minimal influence.

Simmo's often repeated line is "we've got some work to do there", been saying it for many seasons. So why don't they do the work? When will they do the work? Aren't they supposed to do the work in the preseason, so when they come together to play matches in the actual season, they are ready to work at their optimum?
It always sounds like they're playing catch-up during the season, still trying to work out their best team (and he's alluded to that as well). How come they don't know this before? For years they've been trying to work out their best team and they've always got work to do to improve, yet in some ways they've gone backwards since 2018 team that won a GF-arguably a team at it's peak?

I understand that new players and injuries can cause an imbalance and affect team chemistry or cohesion; that the game is evolving and changing constantly and that a team is an ever-changing mass or in some games, a mess.

We're heading into round 6 and the coach is still trying to work out what the best team looks like? And regarding contested possessions and pressure tackling etc, how many times have you heard the coach say "we're working on that, we've got some work to do there, we need to improve on that" - yet it never remains a constant, it comes and goes..
Sometimes football is a mystery, a black hole or Bermuda Triangle into which skills, desire, logic, selection, coaching and players can disappear...?

The both copped serious injuries and were done for the day. I assume they were calling family to let them know how they were going. I don't have an issue with it at all.
It's a breach of match day protocol though. Phones aren't allowed in the rooms until after the final siren, even if the player is done for the day.

We were fined $5000 for it a few years ago when NN and Cox were on the phone to the ruck coach during a game.

414 disposal to 339.

51 tackles to 36.

51 one percenters to 45

39 clearances to 31.

6 bounces to 1.

136 marks to 81.

Seems a good result in the effort and intensity stakes, with a decent ability to get out and run for a team too tall to even fit on the white board.

All of this but with the huge negative of only 42 inside 50's. Even with a great forward line against a stronger side without in game injuries and a better defence the club isn't going to kick a winning score are good sides with so few inside 50's. If it wasn't for our forward efficiency we would have got rolled against a better side. There's no way we get 23 scoring shots out of 42 inside 50's and kick 16.7 against a top side.

Happy to bank the 4 points and see the continued improvement and overall game of Allen and Duggan as huge positives but those numbers with such low inside 50 count still shows to me that we are struggling to connect our defence to attack which is what we have been facing more and more since 2018. Our midfield without Yeo and Shuey still feels deeply unbalanced and against good sides I don't see us being able to go with them.

With a full strength midfield and side I would like to see the below.

Outs: Cole, Vardy, O'neill, Langdon, (nelson or witherden)
In: Hurn, Yeo, Shuey, Ryan, Rioli

Nelson and Witherden then become determined by how Witherden and Hurn work together in defence and transitioning to offence. If it works great but if it doesn't then Nelson is 22nd player picked over Witherden. Also If brander drops off in form or we need a tagger I would have nelson in the side at his expense. I just don't trust Hutchings body for that role. In a final unless it's a genuine star player I think we just can't risk the soft tissue injury factor. Perhaps at their best that means Hutchings plays and Nelson is the sub.

Duggan at HBF for run and carry and to cover the potential defensive deficiencies of Witherden. It's hard to play with the new rules where you have two players in the back half that when isolated look very susceptible to leaking goals. (witherden and cole)

Snake and Brander playing as utilites / mids with a rolling rotation of 2 of cripps, ryan and rioli playing up the ground and one staying deeper in attack with a key forward (darling,kennedy) This allows 4 taller players plus nicnat to mark, help bring the ball to ground along the wing and yet have running players at their feet to support the mids. Allen along with the obvious rotation of one of Darling/Kennedy being the other talls coming up the ground.

That is a side that playing with intent I could see winning a premiership. But it requires all players on the park and finals level intent from our 23-30th players picked until we have a stronger side to keep touch with the top 4 so that we can hopefully build in the second half of the season.

With an almost certain loss next week it means we have to win both derbies and pick up at least 4 away wins. Crows, Hawks, Carlton, Giants, Collingwood means we need to go 4/5 as winning at the SCG is akin to winning in Geelong. Almost unbackable.

Vardy to not play another game.

We're heading into round 6 and the coach is still trying to work out what the best team looks like?

8-10 players missing from the best 22 will do that:

Ryan
Yeo
Shuey
Petrucelle
Hurn
Venables
Williams
Hutchings
Cameron
Rioli

Willie and Venables would have been planned for. Even Yeo (to the extent it's possible to cover the loss of a 2x Club Champion (for reference that's Judd territory :p )) would have been planned for given the injury. But when fit, Simpson has shown that he considers the others best 22 too.

Ryan
Yeo
Shuey
Petrucelle
Hurn
Venables
Williams
Hutchings
Cameron
Rioli

Willie and Venables would have been planned for. Even Yeo (to the extent it's possible to cover the loss of a 2x Club Champion (for reference that's Judd territory :p )) would have been planned for given the injury. But when fit, Simpson has shown that he considers the others best 22 too.
Yes, for sure...was being a bit sarky as it's something he says repeatedly over the seasons regardless of who's in or out of the team.
But not to take anything away from the Pies match, some good signs and some good patches...apart from the usual lapses as a team, but I'm sure he's working on that!?
If we can pull that type of game out of a hat with a depleted side, the imagination could run wild with Shuey, Yeo, Rioli and possibly Cameron back in our normal best 22 side (presuming Ryan, Petrol, Hurn are already playing). Cameron's form is a bit of an unknown at this stage. Venables - does anyone really see him playing this season or again? Is this Hutch's last season?
+ Redden, Duggan, Nelson - 2nd level players who stood up. (Duggs should stay back there unless needed in mid)
+ Allen, Darling, Gov - 1st level players who stood up.
+Sheed, TK, Gaff - improved. (Gaff's stats still cover up his lack of disposal effectiveness, damaging disposals that create opportunities going forward)
+Witherden, Waterman did well.
* Langdon, literally knocking himself out trying too hard! Could be solid depth with enough games.

Last edited:

Ryan
Yeo
Shuey
Petrucelle
Hurn
Venables
Williams
Hutchings
Cameron
Rioli

Bit of a stretch calling half of those guys best 22 but I know what you are saying. Our options are limited.

Ryan
Yeo
Shuey
Petrucelle
Hurn
Venables
Williams
Hutchings
Cameron
Rioli

Look at the above list and look at the side fielded and the WAFL stats.

There are 5 players there that are absolute best 22 locks and out of those 5 our 2 best mids and 2 best small forwards. The other 5 aren't in our fully fit best 22 and i'd suggest with our forward options now Venables even if fully fit isn't close to it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back