Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has to be another way to free up Allen than playing Vardy.

2 handballs and 1 mark. C'mon, that's a clear waste of a spot. Had they not lost two of their best we would've been in trouble running that one out. It's a clear problem area
Yeah - bailey williams not being injured

There was nothing nuanced about my OP. It was me going neener neener neener like a school child.

The nuanced explanation I was referring to was the many many many in this thread. You didn’t read those and that’s fine.

I’m bored of this chat now. Be negative, be positive, sit on the fence. Just be aware that when you post something on a forum, there is a chance someone might post back and tell you you’re wrong. That’s not the establishment trying to keep down free thinkers, that’s just one person telling another that I think it’s pretty nuff to say Simmo is an egotist with marriage problems and we’re a gutless club on the verge of a long painful rebuild.

You disagree, you’ve let me know, the world keeps spinning.

You didn't just post that these people were wrong, you went about shaming them for your own self gratification. Such shaming tactics and passive aggressiveness is a bitch move and unbecoming of a mod. The establishment on this board, which includes you as a mod, deletes spicier negative posts and threads, so don't gaslight us with "That’s not the establishment trying to keep down free thinkers," because that's clearly BS. Cease being a spanner and grow up!

Simmo's often repeated line is "we've got some work to do there", been saying it for many seasons. So why don't they do the work? When will they do the work? Aren't they supposed to do the work in the preseason, so when they come together to play matches in the actual season, they are ready to work at their optimum?
It always sounds like they're playing catch-up during the season, still trying to work out their best team (and he's alluded to that as well). How come they don't know this before? For years they've been trying to work out their best team and they've always got work to do to improve, yet in some ways they've gone backwards since 2018 team that won a GF-arguably a team at it's peak?

I understand that new players and injuries can cause an imbalance and affect team chemistry or cohesion; that the game is evolving and changing constantly and that a team is an ever-changing mass or in some games, a mess.

We're heading into round 6 and the coach is still trying to work out what the best team looks like? And regarding contested possessions and pressure tackling etc, how many times have you heard the coach say "we're working on that, we've got some work to do there, we need to improve on that" - yet it never remains a constant, it comes and goes..
Sometimes football is a mystery, a black hole or Bermuda Triangle into which skills, desire, logic, selection, coaching and players can disappear...?

It's just football speak, the other coaches say the exact same cliches.

Simmo's often repeated line is "we've got some work to do there", been saying it for many seasons. So why don't they do the work? When will they do the work? Aren't they supposed to do the work in the preseason, so when they come together to play matches in the actual season, they are ready to work at their optimum?
It always sounds like they're playing catch-up during the season, still trying to work out their best team (and he's alluded to that as well). How come they don't know this before? For years they've been trying to work out their best team and they've always got work to do to improve, yet in some ways they've gone backwards since 2018 team that won a GF-arguably a team at it's peak?

I understand that new players and injuries can cause an imbalance and affect team chemistry or cohesion; that the game is evolving and changing constantly and that a team is an ever-changing mass or in some games, a mess.

We're heading into round 6 and the coach is still trying to work out what the best team looks like? And regarding contested possessions and pressure tackling etc, how many times have you heard the coach say "we're working on that, we've got some work to do there, we need to improve on that" - yet it never remains a constant, it comes and goes..
Sometimes football is a mystery, a black hole or Bermuda Triangle into which skills, desire, logic, selection, coaching and players can disappear...?

To me you’ve answered your question in the middle paragraph. It’s not static, it’s always changing. You’re not just trying to work yourself out, there’s 17 other teams to work out who are all actively trying to stop you from doing what you want too.

If you’re locked and loaded with what you believe to be a rock solid game plan and the ideal personnel, then two players get injured and you lose a game, your personnel needs changing and obviously your gameplan isn’t flawless, so there’s now work to do.

It’s not like a video game where every player has a little rating and you just plug in the next best guy. How can the club best deal with players A, B, C and D being injured, but also players E and F are in bad form and we’re coming up against elite Opposition Player X this week. It’s an ever changing problem week to week.

Equally, there’s no ceiling on how good you can be. You could beat a team by 100 and still have things to improve on. You could win the following week by 120, and still have things to improve on. I know we haven’t consistently hit the same outputs we did for stretches of 2018, but the peak is still there, so there’s something to improve on - consistency.

Every club has work to do at all times on a variety of things, as with all teams in world sport.

To me you’ve answered your question in the middle paragraph. It’s not static, it’s always changing. You’re not just trying to work yourself out, there’s 17 other teams to work out who are all actively trying to stop you from doing what you want too.

If you’re locked and loaded with what you believe to be a rock solid game plan and the ideal personnel, then two players get injured and you lose a game, your personnel needs changing and obviously your gameplan isn’t flawless, so there’s now work to do.

It’s not like a video game where every player has a little rating and you just plug in the next best guy. How can the club best deal with players A, B, C and D being injured, but also players E and F are in bad form and we’re coming up against elite Opposition Player X this week. It’s an ever changing problem week to week.

Equally, there’s no ceiling on how good you can be. You could beat a team by 100 and still have things to improve on. You could win the following week by 120, and still have things to improve on. I know we haven’t consistently hit the same outputs we did for stretches of 2018, but the peak is still there, so there’s something to improve on - consistency.

Every club has work to do at all times on a variety of things, as with all teams in world sport.
A solid and clarifying answer HB. Yet here we are, yourself possibly included, constantly scratching our heads over the fluctuating lack of intent, desire, hunger, contested possessions and the ability to play out 4 quarters (even the coach scratched his head over that one)... I guess as you've mentioned that too is affected by the changing fortunes to the team structure, and just how difficult it is to keep a team of 40 odd players galvanised and on the same page week in, week out..

Only read the first few pages, couldn’t be bothered with the next 22.

Going against the grain here, I thought Langdon was really good, really tough at, great defensively and stood up in the big moments. Took Kelly a while to settle in, give the kid a chance to learn our style?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

- Nic Nat/Vardy - got smashed in the ruck tonight. NN had an off night. Vardy was awful.

Hold on a sec. Naitanui had 7 clearances (to Grundy's one), took two contested marks while playing ruck (to Grundy's none), had more HOs to advantage and more score launches.

I know he didn't have more total hitouts than Grundy and Grundy took two contested contested marks and kicked two first quarter goals while resting forward (and while Naitanui was on the bench/just coming on) but for actual ruckwork he was still arguably superior in all the meaningful ways.

I don't think Naitanui was a world beater but he was far from being smashed on Friday night.

A solid and clarifying answer HB. Yet here we are, yourself possibly included, constantly scratching our heads over the fluctuating lack of intent, desire, hunger, contested possessions and the ability to play out 4 quarters (even the coach scratched his head over that one)... I guess as you've mentioned that too is affected by the changing fortunes to the team structure, and just how difficult it is to keep a team of 40 odd players galvanised and on the same page week in, week out..

Intent is the big ticket for me.

What our contested ball numbers are, what our ground ball get numbers are, I’m not too swayed by them. It would be nice to lead the league in everything but you can’t. Provided our weaknesses aren’t game killers then I think the aim should be emphasise your strengths and hide your weaknesses. Of course you want to improve your weaknesses but I don’t think it’s reasonable that a club is going to be elite in every facet.

Our game style suffocates teams at its best. It denies the opposition use, it exhausts them by making them run defensively for no reward for minutes on end, which Luke Hodge was at pains to highlight how effective that is during the Pies game. But no matter how well drilled you are, the ball will always be loose at times. Clearances will always be there to be had. No quarter of footy goes past without several genuine 50/50 opportunities where one team prevails and the other doesn’t. That’s where intent comes in.

If we can figure out a way to have consistent application and desperation, which we’ve seen them do and not do in equal measures over the years, that’s when everything clicks and we fire away. That’s the biggest frustration to me, and I think to a lot of people at the moment, is we can go from looking proper pissed off physical pricks one week and then just shirk it the next. That’s what needs to change.

the cumulative long term injuries really hurt

if we can be in the 8 at the bye and get players back - we should be ok

The port game showed what we can do with an adequate running fleet

also - kennedy should be rested on some away games - allows us to play vardy (who i useless) - but at least protects allen

can't have oscar ruck all year - leave him fresh to do so in finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You didn't just post that these people were wrong, you went about shaming them for your own self gratification. Such shaming tactics and passive aggressiveness is a b*tch move and unbecoming of a mod. The establishment on this board, which includes you as a mod, deletes spicier negative posts and threads, so don't gaslight us with "That’s not the establishment trying to keep down free thinkers," because that's clearly BS. Cease being a spanner and grow up!
I'll give you the skinny on this.

There is no hidden agenda. The mods (or establishment) have no status quo to maintain and have zero official connection to the club to manage their agenda.

This is one of the least moderated boards an BigFooty, very few posts are deleted and if they are it is not because someone dislikes the opinion, but because a post is problematic and in the long run will cause a shitfight.

If you have deleted posts you want to discuss - either call them out here or PM me. Otherwise, park the BS establishment agenda bullshit. HB started a post poking fun at some negative nancies in the match thread. That's it.

I'll give you the skinny on this.

There is no hidden agenda. The mods (or establishment) have no status quo to maintain and have zero official connection to the club to manage their agenda.

This is one of the least moderated boards an BigFooty, very few posts are deleted and if they are it is not because someone dislikes the opinion, but because a post is problematic and in the long run will cause a shitfight.

If you have deleted posts you want to discuss - either call them out here or PM me. Otherwise, park the BS establishment agenda bullshit. HB started a post poking fun at some negative nancies in the match thread. That's it.
I don't like agreeing with Larri but here we are.

This is the opening post by one of the Saints mods in their equivalent thread after they lost by 15 goals this week.

After the mind numbing negativity on this board two weeks ago, we aren't letting it go on anymore.

One rule for everyone to follow, I don't care who you are;

Board Rules - Rule 6
This board has been set up for supporters of the St Kilda FC. Please refrain from excessive or exaggerated criticism of St Kilda players, club personnel or the St Kilda FC itself. This board has a variety supporters who all hold individual views on how important or talented our players are. Posters have been known to exaggerate to stress their point. It is a common practice that will no longer be tolerated. We will edit or delete posts describing players as "useless" or "talentless" or any other exaggerated negative criticism. Similarly do not use excessive criticisms of club personnel (such as a coach or board member) or imply corruption or incompetence without significant proof. Do not unduly criticise the club. These actions can be hurtful to the individual involved or family members / friends thereof. Further they can result in legal action by the slandered person. Repeat offenders risk being permanently excluded from this board. Reasonable criticism is perfectly OK - especially when made in an immediate post match context.
This is in a thread stuck at the top of our board, and honestly should've been enforced from the beginning - but we've let plenty off with far too much for far too long and it needs to stop.

It will be at our discrection and anyone breaking this rule will receive a 3 point infraction. 5 gets you a week off, and if you have points accumulated from prior warnings already - stiff sh*t. Control yourselves.

But apparently posting a gif from The Office is the issue ffs.

I don't like agreeing with Larri but here we are.

This is the opening post by one of the Saints mods in their equivalent thread after they lost by 15 goals this week.

But apparently posting a gif from The Office is the issue ffs.

But is it taken from the English or the American version of The Office? I think that's an important distinction.

Zac Langdon Iam getting Ainsworth vibes not AFL quality.
Zac is just to slow for AFL football is always rushed because he is to slow.

Bander was good again
Redden was outstanding all game
Kelly and Sheed where good and kicked goals need more goal kicking mids

The bad

Backward handball we turn this handball over more often than not
We need more run and carry from the backline, we look so good when we have overlap and run
from the backline.

Sheppard needs to start showing a more attacking game for us with some run

Shep is a footballing God and probably the most reliable player we have. He does a Stirling job!
Let Shep be Shep.
Shh GIF - JimCarrey Shh Silence - Discover & Share GIFs

Going against the grain here, I thought Langdon was really good, really tough at, great defensively and stood up in the big moments. Took Kelly a while to settle in, give the kid a chance to learn our style?
Sure, but he’s not a kid. He’s 26 later this year, and is older than more than half of the players on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back