AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Negatives:

Ash Barty
The Cricket last night
WCE loss today
Going fishing early in the morning and I forgot to buy bait.

Luckily we still have a chance at some Positives:

Hawks can still beat Freo
Beagles can have a win
I might be able to catch some bait with my throw net.

Good opportunity to hit the sp or jigs

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Geez that last quarter was horrible. Just kept on taking it long to the same wing again and again and again. It was strange. Wasnt sure if that was a plan or the players just didnt have the energy for anything else but we needed to score and didnt even bother.

I think/hope that the last two weeks of games in very heavy wet conditions got the better of us against a very hungry and strong opponent. I'm confident that we will bounce back and be fine.

I suspect that Gov and Barrass didnt rate Cox and Micoceck before today. Today was a good wake up call before the finals that we cant ignore them. Barrass in particular had a mare but it was only his second game back.

Cameron was awesome. His tackling and finishing are elite, let alone for a 19 year old.

Finally, what was with all our players slipping over? It gifted some easy goals to Cox and Mihocek that got their confidence up when Hurn and Barrass just slipped on a standard chase and left them to take easy marks. Just not good enough.

Last edited:

TheBeardedEagle

Senior List
Aug 31, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I still think the coach threw the game deliberately tonight. It's hard to win a game if you don't score a goal since the third quarter and only score 1 point in the fourth!

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I still think the coach threw the game deliberately tonight. It's hard to win a game if you don't score a goal since the third quarter and only score 1 point in the fourth!
Why would he throw a game we only lost by a point? Surely in that situation you just say **** it and take the 4 points (if they were holding back like you’re implying they were). You don’t start tanking when you’re a bees dick away from effectively locking up a home final..

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Kick long to wing. Turn ball over. Win it back in our D50.
Rinse and repeat.

Threw the game plan out and just repeated the same set play again and again, as if indifferent or ignorant to the fact Collingwood had worked it out.

What happened to our switch to open up play? Where was the run and carry? Just needed one bloke to run the ball so they can kick it over the wall that was set up on the wing. Just one run needed to score the one required goal.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Kick long to wing. Turn ball over. Win it back in our D50.
Rinse and repeat.

Threw the game plan out and just repeated the same set play again and again, as if indifferent or ignorant to the fact Collingwood had worked it out.

What happened to our switch to open up play? Where was the run and carry? Just needed one bloke to run the ball so they can kick it over the wall that was set up on the wing. Just one run needed to score the one required goal.
We realised we were cooked and weren’t going to win it in a head to head contest, they were going to outrun us. So it looks like we decided to play the percentages and try to snag some contested marks and jag 1-2 lucky goals. Nearly worked too.. if JD marks that closer to goal (still fairly sure he marked it 40 out on a 45°), or gets a 50 metre penalty, we steal one we should have lost.. Think the tactics were all we had at that stage unfortunately.

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Kennedy doesn't need to "hang the boots up"

But I'm in the camp which has been wanting Kennedy to go out all year for Brander, not just at the end of one of his bad games.

He was "supposed" to be getting phased out in 2019.. you know, start introducing his heir apparent into the side so we're not in for a shock when he calls it quits..

Instead he's playing the worst football of his career by far, can't even half a contest sometimes, signed a contract extension and Brander still sits in the WAFL.

If Kennedy isn't fit DO NOT PLAY HIM.

If Kennedy is sore DO NOT PLAY HIM

If Kennedy is getting over the flu DO NOT PLAY HIM.

We can't carry him in the form has in. Give a him a rest and bring in the first round pick we drafted for this exact reason.

Worst player on the ground by a long stretch, and it's happened a few times this year. Brander supporting Darling tonight could've been the difference.

Agree. The club needs to get real because he turns into a massive liability very quickly in parts of games, particularly with the way the game is played now. Basically gets no separation on his man so he needs perfect delivery or to take a 1 in 10 pack mark. Like you say, we should only pick him when he's cherry ripe, and generally at home so he doesnt have to fly.

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It was just dumb footy. My rule would be if you mark anywhere directly in front from 0 to 20 metres out you take the shot yourself.

If anyone should hand it off 20m out it is a ruck like Hickey. He shouldnt have done it in hindsight but it was far from a certainty.

TheBeardedEagle

Senior List
Aug 31, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Why would he throw a game we only lost by a point? Surely in that situation you just say **** it and take the 4 points (if they were holding back like you’re implying they were). You don’t start tanking when you’re a bees dick away from effectively locking up a home final..

THIS that I wrote 4 hours before the game tonight! and I bet $40 and won $138

I hope I am wrong but we will lose tonight as a structured loss AND I"M GOING TO BET ON IT FOR INSURANCE REASONS
(Feel Free to Roast Me) Read below if you want to find my reasons.

I hate to be saying this but Collingwood have more to lose than we do and Simpson doesn't like being the favourite of the comp both in the past and in the present when we bombed in 2015 and won in 2018.

Terry Wallace even thinks we are the favs.
TLDR: Wallace has named Westcoast vs Richmond for the GF Quinella with Westcoast the Premiers

We are now widely being talked about as the media's Flag Fav's in Victoria after last weeks game. The betting circles took us from $6.5 last week for the premiership to $3.7 during the week now $4.

To put that into context, last year I put a bet on WC to win the flag after Richmond's shock loss to Collingwood in the prelims.
That bet was a huge punt with a stake of $620 @$4.5 and WC had already made it to the Prelims. They just needed to get thru Melb (in Perth) and Collingwood (MCG) at the time. The punt came off which put almost $2800 back into the account and paid for flights to London, Berlin and Prague which I booked and left within 5 days of the win.

We are now a shorter odds to win the Flag than we were < a week before the Grand Final last year. From a punting perspective that is an outrageous proposition.

So I'm going to say that we will lose against Collingwood and keep our powder dry for the finals. It won't be a transparent loss (or Simpson will cop it) but it will be something like a close 3 quarters and the fourth will be where we come undone with the players losing control due to tiredness and possibly overtraining or playing out of position.

Has anyone seen any videos from training this week? Is it suspicious that our two outs are from training injuries and we have no video of training on Snapchat or twitter which could mean anything but I suspect a brutal training sess or two.

We know Mick Malthouse used to overtrain the players to force a controlled loss and he coached us to two GF wins.

I hope I am wrong but with betting at over $3 (3.4-3.75) for Collingwood to win I'm putting an insurance bet on the Pies to pay for my 10 pints of beer I will need to cry myself to sleep after losing to Collingwood. If WC win my $30 punt to the bookmakers will be a word of warning to me overthinking a game we should win.

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast

I think a few people need to calm down on the JK is dead long live the king. Also his replacement in Oscar Allen is already playing IMHO. The old man has at least one more September. Brander has time on his side.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
We realised we were cooked and weren’t going to win it in a head to head contest, they were going to outrun us. So it looks like we decided to play the percentages and try to snag some contested marks and jag 1-2 lucky goals. Nearly worked too.. if JD marks that closer to goal (still fairly sure he marked it 40 out on a 45°), or gets a 50 metre penalty, we steal one we should have lost.. Think the tactics were all we had at that stage unfortunately.

Yeah I think they didn't kick it to the open side because if anything went wrong the ball in the open Collingwood would of run us off our feet.

The constant kicking to full wing while crap was a defensive mechanism to cover tiring legs.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Wait you got it I think...yeah doesn't make sense to want to win and go 2 games clear in the top two guaranteeing almost two home finals before another grand final...

Better to lose the game deliberately to keep the rest of the competition guessing as to ...WHAT THR * ARE YOU SMOKING SON?

twce13

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Dissapointing loss, but Not end of the world. Last few weeks weve become relevant again with percentage and im backing us to get 2nd.

JK formline is a concern, when does his contract finish, think it may be his last. Still has the ability to tear games apart, just not as consistent anymore

Cripps is a concern, think hes really important to how we structure up and keep discipline up front.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Dissapointing loss, but Not end of the world. Last few weeks weve become relevant again with percentage and im backing us to get 2nd.

JK formline is a concern, when does his contract finish, think it may be his last. Still has the ability to tear games apart, just not as consistent anymore

Cripps is a concern, think hes really important to how we structure up and keep discipline up front.
JK is contracted for next year

TheBeardedEagle

Senior List
Aug 31, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Wait you got it I think...yeah doesn't make sense to want to win and go 2 games clear in the top two guaranteeing almost two home finals before another grand final...

Better to lose the game deliberately to keep the rest of the competition guessing as to ...WHAT THR fu** ARE YOU SMOKING SON?
Simpson doesn't want the favourite tag and successfully lost it tonight

Back