Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Another epic battle. Again two great teams went toe to toe and this time the Pies came out on top. This could have easily been the script the last two times we've played them at Optus. We've had a few wins this season that we could well have lost, and sometimes you're on the other side of the ledger. We'll make top 4, and if we're good enough our destiny is still in our hands. Richmond at the G shaping as a big one.

Reckon a close loss will help steel us for the rest of the season tbh. All our other losses have been comprehensive, which you can just write off as a bad day (Port) or a difficult venue (Bris, Geel, Syd).

Losing a close one at home where the other team just outworked us will hopefully get our leaders to think more about what steps to take when we are having one of these horror quarters. They didn't cost us in wins against Adelaide (2nd) or Hawthorn (3rd) or St Kilda (4th) when they could have, but this is a sign that we can't just hope for late goals to save us. At that point it's a coin flip, and when the game isn't on our terms we just need to stand up for longer.

It was only one quarter, but we've been doing the three quarter thing for a lot of the season. Before that, we were beating them in the manic game early, and beating them in the slow game later. We just looked to hit the wall and the Pies sensed that.

I was hoping that post bye the horror quarters would disappear, but they haven't. Still think we've got some serious problems to work through before the finals, but we'll be back in second spot by next weekend ideally. That's a good place to try and fix problems from.

Bypassing Kennedy yeah. He's non ex

Bypassing Kennedy yeah.

He's non existent now. Too old.
Time to retire sorry to say.
Sometimes players can go on that 1 year too long, although in saying that think JK has caught this virus real bad, as from those who have had it say that it really knocks you around. He needs to look after himself and Simmo & MC possibly shouldn't have selected him. Not so sure who we can bring in though, particularly with Cripps getting injured. Wonder who we will bring in next week??

Facts mate.

That second half smacked of over confident swill

Absolute trash and you all ******* know it's

Once or twice during the week I looked at this and thought hmmm

2185F193-53E0-4A00-911E-0B9C587CC044.jpeg

The boys are starting to get a bit cocky..
Maybe the above more suited after winning back to back premierships etc
All the players, coaches thru the afl see this pic, and go ok....

Makes Simmo’s role of keeping the boys level headed crucial

I'm going to go against the grain here on Cameron.

Yes I was praising him. But in the second half, he had 3 x howler kicks from the back 50 that resulted in bad bad turnovers.

Love the kid and his hardness.

The vitrole on Kennedy is a bit over the top. But his form over the last 2 games is very concerning.
Wouldn't call it vitriol, more like concern? We all feel for the big fella - just hope it's the virus that's effected him, and he still has a bit left in him yet??

Y

View attachment 708056

Yes think Barrass needs to pull his head in a bit until he gets back to his best form, considering he is a bit underdone after coming back from such a long layoff with injury.

How many goals did McGovern cost in the first half?

Wrong person mentioned it was Barrass he was awful
Showed absolutely no respect to Collingwood forwards gave up 5 goals to them
Honestly we have had some players hardly touch the footy during games this year

But that Barrass game was the worst individual performance of a WCE player this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez that last quarter was horrible. Just kept on taking it long to the same wing again and again and again. It was strange. Wasnt sure if that was a plan or the players just didnt have the energy for anything else but we needed to score and didnt even bother.

I think/hope that the last two weeks of games in very heavy wet conditions got the better of us against a very hungry and strong opponent. I'm confident that we will bounce back and be fine.

I suspect that Gov and Barrass didnt rate Cox and Micoceck before today. Today was a good wake up call before the finals that we cant ignore them. Barrass in particular had a mare but it was only his second game back.

Cameron was awesome. His tackling and finishing are elite, let alone for a 19 year old.

Finally, what was with all our players slipping over? It gifted some easy goals to Cox and Mihocek that got their confidence up when Hurn and Barrass just slipped on a standard chase and left them to take easy marks. Just not good enough.
Obviously not wearing the right boots??

Positives: There are none when you lose a game like this.

Negatives:
* Josh Kennedy. Honestly, he has had an average season and last night he was worst on ground. I know he is contracted for next year but if his form doesn't improve quickly, he should retire at season's end.
* Our backline. We gave away so many easy goals in the first quarter that were due to lack of cohesion and talking. To their credit they fought back hard in the last quarter but we looked very unorganised tonight.
* Tom Cole. He is a shadow of the player he was last year and needs to go back to the WAFL.
* Jack Redden. Far too often he doesn't chase. He just casually jogs when he could make an impact and possibly lay a tackle or even affect the kicker.
* Dom Sheed. Again, far too lazy with defensive pressure.
* The last quarter. Just simply lazy all around. No one wanted to put in the hard yards and quite simply it was an embarrassing loss.
* Jamie Cripps. Being injured is big blow.
* Willie Rioli. Looked good early but faded badly. I would prefer he did a month of running to get fit rather than play half a game.

Suddenly Barrass and McGovern's high pants joke last week doesn't seem so funny.

Considering they were both comprehensively beaten by an american spud who borderline shouldn't have even been in their side, and a role player.

Throw in Kennedy getting completely shut down by bargain basement Jordan Roughhead of all people, and it makes you scratch your head.

Barass vs Cox ❌
McGovern vs Mihocek ❌
Kennedy vs Roughead ❌

🤷‍♂️

What a fantastic first half from both teams.

The last quarter and half made me wonder why such a strong intercepting marking team can be so piss poor in leading and taking marks from kick ins. Plan A from defender: kick long to the contested pack on the right as close as you can to the boundary line. Our options left are usually Masten and Nelson with Sheed calling for it at CHB.

Against Hawthorn in the third quarter, Simmo blamed the midfield for not being able to get past the wing. Same thing happened in q4. Surely we can have additional plans and he needs to point the finger at the coaching tactics.

Whilst not all doom and gloom,it''s not the best way to start the weekend, claiming 2nd spot is still do able, but no real margin for error now, and it was most certainly a missed opportunity. For me the intent was missing right from the start, not just the last quarter, a lot of Pies goals came from easy ball movement away from the contest, when they won the ball in the contest they broke away far too easy. Our backs were under the pump due to lack of pressure up the field.

+
Cameron- fantastic first half, would like to see 4 quarters but he is young and we have found a gem once he gets more experience.
JD- Back to the JD of last year.
Oscar- The kid is a jet, and yes he dropped a few, he knows the right spots to get to, cannot leave him out of the team at any stage.
Jetta- a vital part of this team, never panics when he has the ball, and usually does something very good with it.

Negs

JK- Hope he was still feeling the effects of illness, he never got into the game, even his customary crashing the packs and being the lead up target at times was missing, almost like he was told not to do it, lets hope it's just the left overs from the illness and nothing more sinister, because he has looked flat in his last two games. And whilst you should not write him off, we need to remember when our players hit the 30's the drop off can come quick, it has happened to all our players over time, Coxy is one who comes to mind who dropped off quickly recently, let's hope this ain't happening to JK.

Lack of forward pressure when it was on the deck, Cripps injury hurt big time, but we also missed Liam's efforts, he was notably limping in the first quarter and ended up the game with a lot of strapping on is knee, his work up and down the ground is under rated and was missed as much as Cripps tonight. Willie has also been off his game the last couple, these guys set the tone for our forward pressure and with neither of them up and about, it is notable how easy it comes out.

Probably the worst game our back line has played collectively for a long time, Barrrass regardless of getting blocked just looked out of sorts from the start, Gov for all his awesome traits, he needs to realise with his kicking, he's not Hurn or Jetts and needs to keep it simple and not bite off more than he can chew, which he does from time time. We missed Duggans attack on the ball, not sure what's up with Tom Cole, he looks to have gone backwards this year.

Injuries- At the wrong time of the year, Crippa looked pretty bad and can see it could be a long lay off and given it's a groin will also affect his running whilst away. Liam looked sore early and had his knee heavily strapped and he didn't have his usual zip. The big concern for me was Nic, tweaked is ankle and having to have his back worked on is a worry as the next part to go in line is a hammy. I'm glad they stuck to their script with managing him late in the game even though we really need him out there.

Played our best game for the year and lost - that hurts.

Shows how silly and reactionary the media is labeling us a premiership favourites after a derby win and a Collingwood slump. Still need to find another gear to become one of the top teams this year.

View attachment 708056

I thought this was just the boys having some fun. You can’t do anything without special little snowflakes getting upset these days. Note that I’m not aiming my comment at you.

1: Losing Cripps early
2: Nic Nat only play half a game at best, hurts,
3: Barass & Mcgovern appalling in 1st quarter (see No 7)
4: Looked tired in second half
5: Collingwood wanted it more
6: No crumbers at fall of ball in second half, amount of times collingwood easily rebounded
7: Cocky from last week??
8: Amount of blocking that went on and wasn't paid!!!!

People do realise top 2 is still well and truly alive.

Collingwood have 3 very tough games to come in GWS(away), Richmond(MCG) and Adelaide(away)

We have Richmond(MCG) Adelaide(Home) as what I would call our toughest games.

Get back to winning and we could easily be back 2nd next week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back