Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives: There are none when you lose a game like this.

Negatives:
* Josh Kennedy. Honestly, he has had an average season and last night he was worst on ground. I know he is contracted for next year but if his form doesn't improve quickly, he should retire at season's end.
* Our backline. We gave away so many easy goals in the first quarter that were due to lack of cohesion and talking. To their credit they fought back hard in the last quarter but we looked very unorganised tonight.
* Tom Cole. He is a shadow of the player he was last year and needs to go back to the WAFL.
* Jack Redden. Far too often he doesn't chase. He just casually jogs when he could make an impact and possibly lay a tackle or even affect the kicker.
* Dom Sheed. Again, far too lazy with defensive pressure.
* The last quarter. Just simply lazy all around. No one wanted to put in the hard yards and quite simply it was an embarrassing loss.
* Jamie Cripps. Being injured is big blow.
* Willie Rioli. Looked good early but faded badly. I would prefer he did a month of running to get fit rather than play half a game.
Not sure being lazy in the last quarter is the correct terminology - IMO being at the game it just looked like they had hit a brick wall and looked absolutely shot, which of course is a concern not being able to run out 4 quarters. Is our general fitness not where it should be, as if so we may be dreaming to think we can go b2b! Of course losing Cripps can't be under estimated as he is very crucial to our forward structure. 🤔

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought this was just the boys having some fun. You can’t do anything without special little snowflakes getting upset these days. Note that I’m not aiming my comment at you.
Perhaps, however when the following week you don't kick a goal for 45 minutes and end up losing the game and think generally Barrass had his pants pulled down, well then it makes us look arrogant! On the general board a few opposing supporters made comments along these lines! I was a bit concerned pre-game after such an easy win last week that the boys may not go in with the right mindset. Perhaps a good lesson learned?

JinmboJones

All Australian
Jun 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Birds of Prey
The one that got away... Seriously disappointed with that loss.

+Darling. Mark in the third quarter in particular where he just crashed the pack
+Cameron, how good is he?
+Allen, as above
+Sheppard, some great work all game

-Kennedy. I'm sure he was playing but did he actually touch the ball all game?
-Our inability to defend against Mason "the potplant" Cox. Collingwood literally kick it in his direction every time but for some reason we couldn't figure out a way to stop it
-Kicking it down the wing from defence in the last quarter, time after time
-Zero run in the 4th
-NicNat's time on ground. 4th qtr started the game and was off after 2 minutes? Wtf?
-Hickey
-Losing a very winnable game

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
It hurts but JK is at the end looks out of touch if he can kick 2 goals a game will help

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Disappointed in the lack of effort really. You could see by the way the Pies celebrated that this game was like a mini final for them, they brought the pressure and we didn't adjust. It was bound to happen after beating them 4 times in a row and at their home ground, they were always going to be massively fired up and playing without expectation to win.

We let them run it out uncontested from the back half, they had numbers at every contest long down the wing. Seriously we had no players front and centre, time and time again. You can't rely on a contested mark, you need ground ball representation.

Hickey got beaten, Naitanui only played half the game and it showed.

Yeo and Redden seemed to want it the most.

Gaffy Duck

All Australian
May 12, 2019
Fight Club
AFL Club
West Coast
Disappointed in the lack of effort really. You could see by the way the Pies celebrated that this game was like a mini final for them, they brought the pressure and we didn't adjust. It was bound to happen after beating them 4 times in a row and at their home ground, they were always going to be massively fired up and playing without expectation to win.

We let them run it out uncontested from the back half, they had numbers at every contest long down the wing. Seriously we had no players front and centre, time and time again. You can't rely on a contested mark, you need ground ball representation.

Hickey got beaten, Naitanui only played half the game and it showed.

Yeo and Redden seemed to want it the most.

I thought Redden was very good last night seemed to be everywhere from where I was sitting

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What shat me in the last quarter was winning a centre clearance and then trying to do some cute handballs around the middle of the ground. It hadn't worked all game, sometimes you just go for territory, especially with 6-6-6 and one on one contests up ahead. Resulted in a turnover and the Pies surged forward with territorial kicks, not perfect passages of play.

Our mids weren't smart enough, not everything needs to be perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could see by the way the Pies celebrated that this game was like a mini final for them, they brought the pressure and we didn't adjust.
Do you think we wouldn’t adjust in a real final?

Think our lads deserve some trust, no?

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Negative

Allen and Darling clothing for the same mark.

No one was paying Brodie M any respect. Lost us the game.

Kennedy looked like the game had gone past him. Although we know it hasn't. Just struggled to find the ball and had 0 impact. Was actually a liability.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
A good wake up call and the run of Cripps was definitely missed and probably stopped our midfielders run as well..

positives ;
Jared Cameron wow is this the best debutant that we have had another 4 goals ..Has played 3 games for 10 goals ..
Oscar Allen exciting prospect was very impressive in a big game ..
Darling stood up with goals and a few big marks ..

Negatives ;
Injury to Cripps
No goals for Rioli or Kennedy both are good for a goal a game ..
Failure to lock ball in our fwd 50 when it mattered at the end ..

+ Maynard was blocked

+ Everyone harping on about Camerons goals, but i'm more impressed about his tackling. For a skinny kid, he can make them stick.

+ Darling gets a tick for mine. Couple of good grabs and conversion. Bit disappointed he couldn't get off the leash vs Maynard after Moore was injured

+ Nelson solid for what, the 3rd game straight? 👱‍♀️

+ Our on ballers were good for the first 3 quarters. Yeo brilliant 🔫

+ Naitanui's impact in the first quarter in particular.

+ Marsden was staunch :eek:

- Kennedy is a liability. Has been on several occasions this year. 5 touches, 5 clangers, no score 🚽

- Defense was shocking all game. Barrass and McGovern must have been out on the sauce before bouncedown or something because they were in dissaray and got their ass handed to them by lesser opponents.

- Midfielders died completely in the last quarter, like the rest of the team. Can't score if we can't move the ball properly and get it inside 50.

- Ryan needs a rest or something. Looks like he was limping all game. Few occasions where he couldn't chase or put on pressure.

- Cripps injury is very unfortunate. Couple of B22 players out hurts.

- Naitanui's game time was bullshit. None of the spark he had in the first quarter was evident in the 2nd half. We needed him, we needed him and they let him come on for 2 minutes after a break and then pull him back off again. Also his refusal to jump for any marks is detrimental to the team.

- Overall another poor game from Rioli IMO. Opposite to Nelson, he's played 3 bad games in a row now. 1 goal in the past 3 weeks 🍔

mehow2g

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
No loss is a good loss but that first half was the best we played pretty much all year and collingwood played out of their skins to just get over the top, pretty Pleased with our performance overral.

It will be a different story if we meet them again.

McGovern been average all year,hes never been good at one on one against tall forwards and him not intercepting marks like he did in the past hurts more, giving Cox those goals cost us the game, same thing happened with Sydney game with Franklin.

Gaffy Duck

All Australian
May 12, 2019
Fight Club
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh yeah Riolis stuffing up in front of goals in 3rd quarter? s**t the bed and couldn’t decide who to kick it to. Wtf was that

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What shat me in the last quarter was winning a centre clearance and then trying to do some cute handballs around the middle of the ground. It hadn't worked all game, sometimes you just go for territory, especially with 6-6-6 and one on one contests up ahead. Resulted in a turnover and the Pies surged forward with territorial kicks, not perfect passages of play.

Our mids weren't smart enough, not everything needs to be perfect.

Agree, there was a key centre clearance in the last 10 minutes when we had a clear ball and Shuey and Sheed (?) tried to be far too cute with little handballs that resulted in a rushed handball to Cameron under pressure facing the wrong way and the Pies rebounded quickly. We didnt appreciate the moment.

No loss is a good loss but that first half was the best we played pretty much all year and collingwood played out of their skins to just get over the top, pretty Pleased with our performance overral.

Where do people keep getting this from? The first half sucked IMO.

Our defense was the worst it has been in all of 2019. The worst for a long time. Total dogs breakfast. Made spuds look like superstars.

How people can say we played well in the first half at the ease Collingwood scored all it's goals surprises me.

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
- Naitanui's game time was bulls**t. None of the spark he had in the first quarter was evident in the 2nd half. We needed him, we needed him and they let him come on for 2 minutes after a break and then pull him back off again. Also his refusal to jump for any marks is detrimental to the team.

Think this is the mental side of recovering from a second ACL.

I’ve heard him say a few times he has had to relearn how to land from jumping, so he won’t do it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back