Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We wouldn't have won if we did not bring that suffocation game, that brand disallows oppositions to play how they want and is the only way we can defeat precise transition teams like WC.
Make no mistake we cannot win the comp unless we bring that brand.
Yep, you slugged it out, had a plan B, and got the win, credit to you!
Just watched it for the 2nd time and there were so many 'what if' moments. You could say the same for Pies in the GF and a couple of close games perhaps.
We missed maybe 2 easy shots on goal, two more could've been points, then there was the Hickey to Darling clusterf*ck in the goal-square, should've been a goal. A couple of umpire calls that killed our momentum. Then in the last qtr, the endless defence just compounded the tired legs from 2 big games in the wet and 6 day break. A game of metres and minutes.
The suffocation brand is ugly footy but a win's a win!
I guess Simmo and players will review and work through that brand?
How quickly football turns, suddenly you are the Victors in 2nd place(after 4 losses?) and we are a bit of a rabble with injuries, having to regroup and restructure.
Oh well, we've certainly been here before.

Yep, you slugged it out, had a plan B, and got the win, credit to you!
Just watched it for the 2nd time and there were so many 'what if' moments. You could say the same for Pies in the GF and a couple of close games perhaps.
We missed maybe 2 easy shots on goal, two more could've been points, then there was the Hickey to Darling clusterf*ck in the goal-square, should've been a goal. A couple of umpire calls that killed our momentum. Then in the last qtr, the endless defence just compounded the tired legs from 2 big games in the wet and 6 day break. A game of metres and minutes.
The suffocation brand is ugly footy but a win's a win!
I guess Simmo and players will review and work through that brand?
How quickly football turns, suddenly you are the Victors in 2nd place(after 4 losses?) and we are a bit of a rabble with injuries, having to regroup and restructure.
Oh well, we've certainly been here before.

Minutes and moments in every game, we kicked 11.12 and were lucky to win - it was gritty granted but rarely do you kick like that and win especially against a team like WC.

Suffocation gives us transition, the Pies in 2018 were so adept at winning the contested footy and then burning the opp on the transition with ball or leg speed.

Simmo and his panel have worked us out previously, take away that pressure brand and WC freely link the ball end to end. The achilles heel with that is that this transition style is somewhat personnel reliant certainly more so than the pressure game the Pies have.

The Hutchings out was key as it allowed Sides freedom with the footy, as was Mayne's game on Hurn it gave the Pies forward set up a chance at the marking contests.

The 1st half and a bit was feast of transition footy shootout if it stayed that way WC win even though the Pies held their own in that game style.

Minutes and moments in every game, we kicked 11.12 and were lucky to win - it was gritty granted but rarely do you kick like that and win especially against a team like WC.

Suffocation gives us transition, the Pies in 2018 were so adept at winning the contested footy and then burning the opp on the transition with ball or leg speed.

Simmo and his panel have worked us out previously, take away that pressure brand and WC freely link the ball end to end. The achilles heel with that is that this transition style is somewhat personnel reliant certainly more so than the pressure game the Pies have.

The Hutchings out was key as it allowed Sides freedom with the footy, as was Mayne's game on Hurn it gave the Pies forward set up a chance at the marking contests.

The 1st half and a bit was feast of transition footy shootout if it stayed that way WC win even though the Pies held their own in that game style.
I wondered about the impact of Hutch out, as I watched a roamin' Sidebottom. Mayne's become a handy pick-up, plays like there's no tomorrow. Be curious to see what both coaches wheel out next time. It's a healthy rivalry with mutual respect, can see that amongst the players post-game.

I wondered about the impact of Hutch out, as I watched a roamin' Sidebottom. Mayne's become a handy pick-up, plays like there's no tomorrow

These! the one ace in WC deck is to nullify our outside players, no tag on our outside mids spells danger. Am surprised Simmo didn't put Yeo or Shuey on either of Sides or Pendles they are a danger but with respect it's highly probable that those two (Yeo and Shuey) get on top and get the transition game back on track. If Simmo did use one of those as a nullify role he risks the ball going the wrong way given the contested game in that last qtr and a half. Fair enough, back your mids to win it but didn't come off.

Mayne curbed Hurn's influence - no doubting that.

4 days on and i cant help but think this loss will come back to haunt us.

Now the vic media decided to hammer melboune the week they play us. Coincidence?

We have a tough run home. Face the resurgent carlton and north. If we win most of these games then we well and truely deserve our top 4 spot should we get there.

In any case I'm going to sign off from your board peeps, intruded long enough and anymore would be disrespectful and I am far from ever disrespecting WC and their fans and members.

Last edited:
In any case I'm going to sign off from your board peeps, intruded long enough and anymore would be disrespectful and I am far from ever disrespecting WC and their fans and members.
Maybe a final question, if you haven't evaporated into the ether yet? - How or why did Pies lose the last 4 games? Injuries?

Maybe a final question, if you haven't evaporated into the ether yet? - How or why did Pies lose the last 4 games? Injuries?

The reason they lost the last 2 is and they haven't really been in form for the year is evident. All year they've tried to "control" the game, against North they slowed it down (control) to such a point that their link up was too far and wide. That invites pressure from the opp then turnover and when they didn't have the ball they didn't apply team defence or "guard space" if you will and allowed easy transition for the opp. Pendles even mentioned it was an over correction on what they believed that last year they were too fast on transition and turned it over as a result.

On Friday they went back to that suffocation which ultimately gives them time and space with ball because they set up so well with and without it. It's a taxing style but if they structure up well enough which they do it reduces the need for two way running which they also do.

Honestly felt that way about the Port game all season. Should have hammered them into the dirt where they belong, but didn't.

For mine, the next 2 games are absolute must-wins, and at least one has to be a big win. Then we need to hang on and keep banking the 4 points til we get personnel back for finals. If we can finish in the top 4, avoid a trip to Kardinia in Week 1 and get the majority of our squad on the park then we will be up to our eyeballs in it.

Now the vic media decided to hammer melboune the week they play us. Coincidence?

We have a tough run home. Face the resurgent carlton and north. If we win most of these games then we well and truely deserve our top 4 spot should we get there.

Tough run home? You have mentioned 3 sides outside of the top 8 and while I acknowledge North are playing good footy at the moment, the Dees and Carlton are bottom 4. I think we have quite a good run home but we cant afford to slip (Crows Haks at home and Tigers at the G the tough ones). Need 16 wins for top 4 I reckon and 17 for top 2 meaning we must win 5 out of 6, preferably 6 out of 6 for home QF.

Honestly felt that way about the Port game all season. Should have hammered them into the dirt where they belong, but didn't.

For mine, the next 2 games are absolute must-wins, and at least one has to be a big win. Then we need to hang on and keep banking the 4 points til we get personnel back for finals. If we can finish in the top 4, avoid a trip to Kardinia in Week 1 and get the majority of our squad on the park then we will be up to our eyeballs in it.
I dont think a trip to Kardinya is on the cards irrespective of finishing position. Geelong asked but I think judging by the AFL's silence it is a solid NO. They know a WCE Geelong final is worth at least 70-80 thousand- double what Cat park can hold.

I dont think a trip to Kardinya is on the cards irrespective of finishing position. Geelong asked but I think judging by the AFL's silence it is a solid NO. They know a WCE Geelong final is worth at least 70-80 thousand- double what Cat park can hold.

I would generally agree, but they might do it if Collingwood host a home final against, say, Brisbane. I would just like to eliminate it entirely from the equation.

Don't kid yourself, being the reigning Premiers it should be MCG.
If Geelong make a fuss and push just a little it may be enough for the AFL to make one of their VAFL decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason they lost the last 2 is and they haven't really been in form for the year is evident. All year they've tried to "control" the game, against North they slowed it down (control) to such a point that their link up was too far and wide. That invites pressure from the opp then turnover and when they didn't have the ball they didn't apply team defence or "guard space" if you will and allowed easy transition for the opp. Pendles even mentioned it was an over correction on what they believed that last year they were too fast on transition and turned it over as a result.

On Friday they went back to that suffocation which ultimately gives them time and space with ball because they set up so well with and without it. It's a taxing style but if they structure up well enough which they do it reduces the need for two way running which they also do.
Thanks for the insights and your take on the rivalry!

Yep, was sitting in block 509 so had good viewing at that end. We certainly panicked. Didnt help our mids were cooked.
I was in 509 as well, actually I’ve been there for the last 3 events I’ve attended at Optus. Become a bit of a second home for me lately.

Don't kid yourself, being the reigning Premiers it should be MCG.
If Geelong make a fuss and push just a little it may be enough for the AFL to make one of their VAFL decisions.

It's not a VAFL decision to let Geelong play a home final at their home ground.

Lets be real here. If the Cats finish 1st, they should be playing in Geelong.

Haven't seen them jump on the Dees. But if they are it's because the media needs to jump onto the next coach in trouble and start stirring the pot. It's just click bait.

Freo/Dees/GCS the only teams left for the media to spin generic fictional crap about. Swans re-signed Longmire. Saints/Blues/North have all got their scalp.

Its thursday but its still annoying me... how Gov and Barrass can be held/blocked out of almost every contest illegally and not get free kicks for it. Is a pet hate with the slackening of the umpiring this year considering it was a focus for them last season (or the one before, I forget which).

The official AFL rules state that finals are to be played in the home STATE of the highest ranked team (GF excused), not the home ground.

So there is no rule that says a Geelong final should be at GMHBF Stadium. The only AFL official rule is that it be played in Victoria - that is all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is one time where we'll benefit from all the stupid license agreements the AFL has with the MCG and Docklands. To ensure an interstate side isn't forced to travel to the MCG for a "home" preliminary final, they rack up as many other finals at the G as they can.

The only way Geelong get a final at KP is if all 3 other finals are in Melbourne that weekend.

Tough run home? You have mentioned 3 sides outside of the top 8 and while I acknowledge North are playing good footy at the moment, the Dees and Carlton are bottom 4. I think we have quite a good run home but we cant afford to slip (Crows Haks at home and Tigers at the G the tough ones). Need 16 wins for top 4 I reckon and 17 for top 2 meaning we must win 5 out of 6, preferably 6 out of 6 for home QF.

The North game (on recent form) concerns me. Their aggressive and physical approach has been what has won them games, something that can shock good teams. I have been thinking that they can't sustain that style of play, maybe it will drop off over the next fortnight? Let's wait and see.

Hopefully we bring the same brutal intensity from the Richmond game last year. I wish NN was there setting the tone early in the guts :cry:

- Naitanui's game time was bulls**t. None of the spark he had in the first quarter was evident in the 2nd half. We needed him, we needed him and they let him come on for 2 minutes after a break and then pull him back off again. Also his refusal to jump for any marks is detrimental to the team.
Well this post aged well.

HES GOT ENDOPSYCHOWEETBIXITUS YOU INSENSITIVE BASTARD!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back