Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't care who wins that, just want Brisbane to tear the winner a new one. Come on Brisbane or Port, stick it to the Vics. Living in Victoria the Vic bias does get to you.
Would perhaps prefer Port if I was going that way, considering how QLD-centric the AFL has been this season and the narrative that they saved the 2020 season singlehandedly. If Port and Brisbane meet in the GF, the Vics would probably support Brisbane because of this and given that they aren't a traditional footballing state along with the Fitzroy connection.

Pretty fu(ken gut wrenching defeat last night.

Second year in a row we have pissed a season away with inconsistent efforts within the season and within games.

Our best matches it with anyone .............. trouble is that we don't always choose to bring our best.

Case in point Tommy Barrass looked to not be switched on AGAIN last night in the first ten minutes of the game, he did get better, however this isn't the first time that this has happened.
Jack Darling gets the first goal and our guys are slapping the high fives and dry humping each other, all smiles and yeah baby we are on our way.

Warm fuzzies all around then a bit of complacency sets in then - bang, bang, bang , bang Collingwood kick the next four goals.

Oh FFS the players realise its not going to be a walk in the park... they refocus and work their way back into the game.
They actually manage to get a ahead a few times, for them to then once AGAIN, drop off the intensity and effort and concede the lead again.
Rinse and repeat.

OK maybe a bit melodramatic but hopefully you get the point I am making.

So what do we put the inconsistency down to, because it needs to be addressed otherwise we can expect another season or two of the same.

We as a Club do so much right and so many things well.
In fact as far as off field management goes, we are the best managed Club in the competition.

However we do have a glaring weaknesses in the way our players have dropped off ( and IMO ) rested on the laurels the last two seasons.

Thing is its been a pattern over our existence.
We win one flag ( with the exception of 92 and 94 and IMO we underachieved with that much talent in the team in that era ) then we cant do what the great sides do and form a sustained run of terror.
Historically Hawthorn have done it twice, Geelong have done it and now a cockie Richmond are on a sustained march.

After 94 we became a side that faded away and slowly sunk to the bottom.

After 2006. - Then came the biggest implosions in our Clubs history, when the rockstar , playboy drug fuelled attitude of the players blew the very fabric of the Club up and subsequently our off field behaviour and culture sank to an all time low.
Enough said about the lives of some of our then hero's and how their lives have spiralled down the shitter since then.
Who said Ego is not a dirty word.

After 2018.
The media blew that much sunshine up our players arses that the players got ahead of themselves come season 2019 and played like self entitled "gits" that thought that they only had to turn up and the four points would magically appeared in the wins column.

I do like Simpson and credit where it is due, he has delivered us a flag, but I think he is way to soft and "lovey dovey" with our players.
I don't see the Clarkson like rants, blasts and stares and glares in the huddles at 1/4 and 3/4 time.

He is fiercely loyal to his players in the press and wont say a bad thing about them, how he handles it behind closed doors I don't know, but I sure as hell hope he can call the players out of their s**t.

He is also way to loyal keeping players in the 22 far to long when they have underperformed and underachieved... look no further than Petruccelle keeping his spot over Jetta in a must win game; we all know that experience is a big factor in finals.

History will show us that unless we finish top four we don't win the flag.

The last two years we have held our destiny in our hands and have dropped very winnable games to lesser teams late in the season that has cost us a top four position. Hawthorn in 2019 and The Doggies in 2020.

The " C " word has been dismissed on many occasions by Simpson and the Club the last two years, but make no mistake COMPLACENCY is well and alive in the mind set of our players and it manifests itself in games where we start slow against bottom sides and again when we surrender good leads within games.

Sure you cant win every game and every quarter, but I am a believer that bad habits creep into a teams persona and IMO we are often not switched on and I very much attribute that to complacency.

The collective ( One of Simpsons favourite words in describing the team) need to address this issue.

The teams best is breathtakingly impressive however the lowlights are an embarrassment: think back to the Gold Coast game.

This is not just an overreaction to last nights one point loss to Collingwood, its about a trend that our teams have delivered for two seasons now.

Obviously I am pissed off at the way the last two seasons have gone and I admit that nothing fuels disappointment like expectation.

Simply put: with the talent and ability that we have on our list I have expected better over the last two years and it has not been forthcoming.

Last edited:

It’s like that with a lot of teams. I get weird vibes about the West Coast boys but that’s because they are meant to be the enemy to me. Our guys are genuinely good blokes (I hope de goey is too in the end) and I’m sure the West Coast boys are too. I could see it after Liam Ryan’s goal in round 8 and when we lost the GF and Willie came to Adams and got him up off the ground.

Yeah I don't really know them. I guess it's common to think ill of certain oppo players we don't like. I mean, there have been a lot of Pies players that outwardly look a bit thuggish, and they've probably got more tats than any other club lol, but that doesn't make them so. Recent events with DeGoey have not helped that image. End of the day I think we realise they're all just blokes like you and I who happen to play footy.

Would perhaps prefer Port if I was going that way, considering how QLD-centric the AFL has been this season and the narrative that they saved the 2020 season singlehandedly. If Port and Brisbane meet in the GF, the Vics would probably support Brisbane because of this and given that they aren't a traditional footballing state along with the Fitzroy connection.

Put money on Port when they were 7.50 to win it so for purely monetary gain I like them. But other than that I want Brissie to win most, then Port. Love the way the young Lions (and Port) play, be good to see a new kid on the block. I'll be a bit torn if both face off but won't mind either result. Least preferred still Geelong or Richmond, but dunno if I could stomach going for the Pies after last night. It'll be hard to pick, like I said don't think I'll go for either.

Not much positive... I guess we get an easier draw next year finishing 7th

Negatives

Where is the improvement in 2021 coming from? Paying overs (IMHO) for Kelly means our youth with the next come of years is compromised plus young guys aren't lighting the world on fire

Selections - if Jetta and Schoey aren't better than Petch (would be happy if he never played again) and Ainsworth I'll eat my hat.

Our midfield was, as Billy Butcher would put it, "******* diabolical"

Umpiring was sketchy but out discipline was poor.

Barrass choking under big game pressure like late last year.
Don't know if I'm just over-reacting but can't recall Barrass having too many outstanding games since we won the flag in 2018 - just seems a shadow of his former self.

Port for me so Scotty Lycett gets another one

Unlucky in the end, you guys had a good season nontheless. How long do you think Kennedy, Hurn and Naitanui still have left realistically?

I still can’t believe Simpson actually picked Ainsworth and Petruccelle for an elimination final. The guys that he didn’t pick offer so much more. We really missed Yeo.

I really feel for NN, Shep and Gaffy - really wanted to get it done for them.
Duggan is probably the biggest positive of 2020.
And Ryan, he has jumped up to elite level.

We need an elite strength and conditioning coach.

With the exception of maybe Waterman, very few guys have got visibly bigger or stronger since getting to the club.

Ainsworth, and Brander, if its possible, have arguably got thinner.

We need to develop a few brutes, and ALL boys need to get stronger to be able to stick a damn tackle!

Whats this then sl*t?

View attachment 977167

View attachment 977168

Death, taxes, and Brayden blowing up the tracker.

5 year contract extension plz

Hahajokesgethimoffthelistasap
Yeah I mean around the ball, can't get near players and takes a minute to prepare a kick or lay a tackle. Vermicelli is the same, really fast but as slow as around the ball, tackling, kicking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Textbook WC 2020. Slow start, patchy efforts of good footy. Would like to see a breakdown of how many goals Collingwood kicked that came from us turning the ball over in the corridor. Too many fumbles and handballs to teammates under pressure. Too many tackles not sticking. Really glad we picked Petruccelle and Ainsworth. :rolleyes: When you are missing set shots and then Mihocek kicks a goal from the boundary off the instep (seriously, go to the park and try do that on purpose!) you know it's not your night.

And yes, the umpiring was hot garbage. McGovern steps over the boundary line in the back 50, deliberate. Happened 3 more times during the game, not paid again and won't be for the rest of the year. Kick goes to the top of the square while McGovern is on the mark, goal Pies. Shuey caught holding the ball 20m out from Pies goal, probably fair enough, goal Pies. Elliot running inside 50 tackled and drops it cold, play on, goal Pies. McGovern takes an intercept contested mark, umpire decides there's a block. Zero blocks paid before or since. Ryan seen with a couple of minutes to going spare at being blocked out of the contest 20m from our goal. Cox pushes McGovern out of the contest 20m from Pies goal, play on, goal Pies. McGovern bodies defender out of the contest 60 out from Pies goal, free kick, ball inside 50, goal Pies. Swell.

And the biggest negative of all, we just wasted a prime season of Naitanui. Since his first ACL I've treated anything we get from him as a bonus. 201cm 110kg athletes coming back from knee recos at 28 don't usually fire let alone coming back again after another one at 29. NicNat was awesome this year (and very good last night) and all we could muster was 5th and a lost EF. There's no guarantee we'll get a season as good as 2020 from him again. All players have their peak then decline, but he's not a Kennedy or Hurn that is going to give 5-10 years of consistent high level play and 22 games a year.

Attended your '92, '94 and '18 Premierships

I was 10 metres away from Sheed when he thumped it through the goals

And on the HF line when Matera was landing bombs

Huge respect for your club and the number of years you make finals

Love the growing rivalry
Second that. Pure class in the aftermath of 2018. Richmond flogs wouldnt have been so decent. Best of luck next year.

bit of a shame that some of the same supporters who so graceful in defeat in 2018 can be so pigheaded in victory today. not just bf but irl. losing some respect they earned in 18 for mine.
Please don't tar us all with the same brush. Every team has flog supporters. The overwhelming majority of Pies supporters have massive respect for your club.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush. Every team has flog supporters. The overwhelming majority of Pies supporters have massive respect for your club.
This. All teams have flog supporters including ours. In saying this, I think Richmond are the only exception. 99% of the supporter base are absolute smug campaigners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back