Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant beat AFL House. Just don’t pay them another cent and let them go bust. Cheated.

JK needed to convert earlier. Mids went for too many long stints without key involvement. Didn’t help ourselves.

Still one of the great robberies of all time.

Onto the off-season.

It's easy to knock the umpiring but we lost that on the back of our tackling and giving up contested marks in the defensive 50. JK missed one he should have got and you'd probably back him in to kick that left foot snap but he certainly didn't cost us the game.

Ryan, Cripps, Duggan and Hurn all had good games. At least Tim Kelly's disappointing season has come to an end. I expect a hell of a lot better from him next season. Shuey was average tonight as well. Not sure why Ah Chee was out there tonight.

Knew we were weren't going to win that. Follows the trend of when everyone pencils us in for a win we play poorly. Every. Single. Time.

Played 3 men down and I'm not talking about the umpires. Ah chee is hopeless and should be delisted. I dont think I saw Petrucelle once. Ainsworth tried but is a bit of a nothing player atm.

I'm actually not too bothered as I dont think we would have made it past Geelong. Definitely not Brisbane.

Also bad feeling that was our last shot for a while re: finals.

You’re entitled to your views and I’m not going to try to police melts tonight, but just know that if you genuinely think this everyone else will spend all year laughing at you.

Last shot? We have an A-grade midfield who should be better next season, an A grade forward line that might take a hit depending on JK's future and an A grade defense that might take a slight hit if Hurn retires. We should have finished top 4. Who is taking our spot next season?

We were unlucky in many ways to lose tonight. We played well, it was a high quality game.

If we performed to a similiar level to tonight on more occasions during the season then we wouldve been top 4. The list is good enough for top 4. The season was lost earlier, not so much tonight.

Petch should never, ever, ever play another game for us. Worse than useless. The experiment is over. Provides nothing.

Mids on blast. Didnt want to work for it. I am so sick and tired of seeing blue jumpers standing off of a ball in/ up waiting for the cheapie exit while opposition players take possession with the extra at the contest.

We need to find another decent small forward yesterday, because when the ball hits the deck it exits the F50 too easily.

I knew we werent going to be contenders after the Bulldogs game, but man I thought we would at least progress to week 2. F*ck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They just wanted it more, im not going to bash the umpiring.
I am going to bash the selection though, picking ainsworth, petch and archie was brain dead stupid by Simmo.
At least Jetts, Hutch and Schoey are seasoned finals players who could have made a difference in the end.
Another really inconsistent year where we have whole period where our engine room go missing, they need to do more brain than brawn work in the offseason.

Positives:
- Naitanui made Grundy look absolutely second rate
- Duggan was dominant in the first half
- Our two big forwards were cohesive (except for a couple of goal kicking attempts)
- Allen and Ryan were important all game and made a difference
- Cripps and Gaff did a lot of gut running that had impact in the momentum swings
- Waterman linked up well with 10 marks

Negatives:
- McGovern cost us several times over by failing to contest marking contests or just typical brain fades
- Petruccelle had zero involvement in the first half and didn't touch the ball in the second half
- Ah Chee's inability to kick a score from approximately 15m out
- Kelly's lack of involvement in the game and then final decision in the centre that cost us an opportunity to win

Two years of a row of being just not consistently good enough. 5th and 5th/7th represents that fact.

Hopefully the coaches have enough evidence now to give the game plan and perhaps some elements of the list a renovation. I think it has become clear that we have become a team that relies too much on individual acts to get over the line, we aren't anywhere near 2018 as a team. We have the tools still, but adjustments are needed and we must have no more tolerance for fluctuations in intensity.

+ve: I'm not even that devastated. Didn't think we were up to it this year and would have been much more invested in winning next week. A home Elimination Final just doesn't do it for me these days. :p

-ve: My wife has cracked the shits at me because I turned down the volume at the end, not wanting to hear the commentary bile. Apparently I'm a bad loser because of this. :think: I told her given my team lost a cut throat final by 1 point, I should be allowed to be a little aggrieved... I thought I'm taking things rather well, considering.

Last shot? We have an A-grade midfield who should be better next season, an A grade forward line that might take a hit depending on JK's future and an A grade defense that might take a slight hit if Hurn retires. We should have finished top 4. Who is taking our spot next season?

our mids are not A grade. It’s Nik Nat that wins most clearances.

Poor post. Cut the dead wood, draft/trade in some decent depth and go again.

Kelly has been middling all year, Shuey meh, JK should probably pull the pin now so Allen/Snakey/Darling can form a better partnership up forward.

Lack of depth was our undoing this year. We still have 95% of a premiership quality team. Consistency needs to come up more is all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back