Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't it be better for HQ to make absolute clear cut definitions of what constitutes a free no ifs buts or maybes and just direct the umpires to be consistent (As possible)?

This has always been a bugbear of mine. People piss and moan about umpiring, but the rules give way too much onus on umpire interpretation.

Make the rules more black and white instead of grey would be a good start. Why we don't make the grounds with more lines of measurement for 15m passes and 50m penalties is beyond stupid. We don't even have a straight line at the top of the goalsquare extending to the boundary line to mark the area the man on the mark needs to be if someone is kicking from the back pocket area. It's all down to interpretation and best guess. That will always mean there are errors.

Make it easier for the umpires to do their jobs. They can only call it how they see it in a split second, so are always going to make mistakes. So make it easier for them to not make mistakes. But the AFL will just introduce more stupid reactionary rules instead of fixing the current set that are already ****ed.

Plus Schoey would absolutely not have let Mason ******* Cox kick 3 goals in 3 minutes.
Might've let him get two in two but probably would've smacked him in the face after that.

* Crisp's throwing the ball in the contest after Tay smothered Cole's kick, this one was not so obvious watching the replay. It would be hard for an ump to pay this one unless it was an absolute clear throw. It wasn't clear cut enough obviously.
That one comes down to umpire positioning. I don't know why but the instructions for the 3 umpires has them standing in the middle of the ground. The two best umpired sports I know of (field hockey and NFL) have the official positioned around the edges so they can see the angles through the play.

To be fair, none of that would have happened if Cole had better game sense and signalled TK to pass it to the open man (Sheed?) on the outside.

Whinging about umpiring is like listening to Collingwood fans cry about Maynard being blocked - pointless & irrelevant.

We weren't good enough for long enough & we missed our opportunities. Missed shots on goal & that horrid handball to cole in the dying seconds will haunt me.

Best positive was that it was an excellent game of football & we came up 1 point shy.

Oh & Ryan, that guy's immense.

This has always been a bugbear of mine. People piss and moan about umpiring, but the rules give way too much onus on umpire interpretation.

Make the rules more black and white instead of grey would be a good start. Why we don't make the grounds with more lines of measurement for 15m passes and 50m penalties is beyond stupid. We don't even have a straight line at the top of the goalsquare extending to the boundary line to mark the area the man on the mark needs to be if someone is kicking from the back pocket area. It's all down to interpretation and best guess. That will always mean there are errors.

Make it easier for the umpires to do their jobs. They can only call it how they see it in a split second, so are always going to make mistakes. So make it easier for them to not make mistakes. But the AFL will just introduce more stupid reactionary rules instead of fixing the current set that are already f’ed.

There is a lot more to the issue (and difficulty) with umpiring than this.

Umpires are humans and don't have eyes in the back of their heads. They miss things even when they're staring directly at it. That's acceptable and that's human nature.

However when you have a big home ground advantage such as the one we enjoy at Optus, the umpires have 30k+ sets of extra eyes helping them do their jobs and draw attention to every little indiscretion from the opposition.

Every potential free kick eagles way is met with a chorus from the coliseum noise of the crowd. Generally this results in a lopsided free count which the umpiring body is now trying to correct.

The only way they can correct that is intentionally not paying frees even when they know they're there. Just in an effort to nullify the crowds impact and keep the free count on par.

Its a bit of a balance act that they overcorrected in that match (in my opinion), but at the end of the day we still should've won.

I'm waiting for my disgust of Mason Cox to subside but it still hasn't. He's such an unlikable character.

Awful player who's never achieved anything yet seems to bob up against us for 5minute spells and suddenly he's the all time great of the competition (in his eyes). That bloody figjam head bob after he kicks a goal is so enfuriating lol.

How did we let that spud kick 3 in a row on us. That spell lost us the game.

I'm waiting for my disgust of Mason Cox to subside but it still hasn't. He's such an unlikable character.

Awful player who's never achieved anything yet seems to bob up against us for 5minute spells and suddenly he's the all time great of the competition (in his eyes). That bloody figjam head bob after he kicks a goal is so enfuriating lol.

The media & Pies fans loves to hype him up as well, so that only makes his figjam-ness grow.
Channel 7 even played Born in the USA at quarter time, and the Pies fans love to chant USA, USA for him lol.

We still hold the cup, they wont get far, thats enough for me.

I get solace from the fact we probably couldn't and wouldn't go the whole way this year anyway - 3x games in Queensland we were bound to trip up eventually and against very good competition every week (Cats then Lions Then either Port or Richmond).

Still haunted by Kelly's horrible decision to handball to Cole in the dying seconds when he had an open man in space on the wing. The deal will pay off eventually but that's the kind of moment you expect a player of his caliber (and expense) to handle. In reality, the game against the Saints is the only one he really tore up this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whinging about umpiring is like listening to Collingwood fans cry about Maynard being blocked - pointless & irrelevant.

We weren't good enough for long enough & we missed our opportunities. Missed shots on goal & that horrid handball to cole in the dying seconds will haunt me.

Best positive was that it was an excellent game of football & we came up 1 point shy.

Oh & Ryan, that guy's immense.

By the beard of Zues... normal people do exist here! Couldn't have said it better. Blaming umps is weak as piss

Taking away from being a WC fan. That was an epic game that told a story similar to the 2018 GF which is rated by many as one of the best games ever.

- Pies quick start
- Us clawing back
- So many lead changes
- Big texan kicking 3 goals in the 1st 1/4 then us shutting him down.
- Ryan running rampat.
- ALMOST doing the exact play from the end of 2018 GF but failing in the last second.

Hope you don't mind me posting here. I've got a group of Wafia mates close by and we've had some pretty tense stouches. What is it about WCE/Pies in the finals?

For mine, the best moment of the night was seeing Ryan and Maynard in close conversation post-match. Maynard pretty much pantsed all night, he never gave up but he hardly stood a chance even after the push-and-shove in Q2. Says a lot about the mutual admiration between players.

Pity about our draw, I don't mind watching you play. I even flew over for QF in 2018 and watched us go down, even with my Pies gear I was shown a pretty good night in Perth that night.

The positives for you are definitely:-

- NicNat giving you a few more years of a head start. Aggressive and agile, made us completely change our game plan
- Liam Ryan is a once in a decade player. And only 24... how bloody high does he get? And gut running to defend as well as kick goals.
- Darling with a vice-like mark. Never seems to spill them, then kicks pretty straight
- Duggan is a ripper, you'd put him in your top 3 on the night
- Hurn, Gaff, Cripps just seem to give you consistency

Pity about the 14 day lock-in. Has been a weird season. But the sound of the crowds on Saturday night was immense and sorely needed.

Looking forward to the same-old punch-on in the finals next year.

I love how he thinks he's all that. I mean at that height anyone could pluck a few marks in a contest.

Taking away from being a WC fan. That was an epic game that told a story similar to the 2018 GF which is rated by many as one of the best games ever.

- Pies quick start
- Us clawing back
- So many lead changes
- Big texan kicking 3 goals in the 1st 1/4 then us shutting him down.
- Ryan running rampat.
- ALMOST doing the exact play from the end of 2018 GF but failing in the last second.

Major 2019 vibes most of the game, so I wasn't surprised we lost again by a point.

Hope you don't mind me posting here. I've got a group of Wafia mates close by and we've had some pretty tense stouches. What is it about WCE/Pies in the finals?

For mine, the best moment of the night was seeing Ryan and Maynard in close conversation post-match. Maynard pretty much pantsed all night, he never gave up but he hardly stood a chance even after the push-and-shove in Q2. Says a lot about the mutual admiration between players.

Pity about our draw, I don't mind watching you play. I even flew over for QF in 2018 and watched us go down, even with my Pies gear I was shown a pretty good night in Perth that night.

The positives for you are definitely:-

- NicNat giving you a few more years of a head start. Aggressive and agile, made us completely change our game plan
- Liam Ryan is a once in a decade player. And only 24... how bloody high does he get? And gut running to defend as well as kick goals.
- Darling with a vice-like mark. Never seems to spill them, then kicks pretty straight
- Duggan is a ripper, you'd put him in your top 3 on the night
- Hurn, Gaff, Cripps just seem to give you consistency

Pity about the 14 day lock-in. Has been a weird season. But the sound of the crowds on Saturday night was immense and sorely needed.

Looking forward to the same-old punch-on in the finals next year.

Definitely becoming another rivalry, like we had with Sydney. Always some extra feeling when the two clubs play, gotta love that.

- Slow start and selection killed us - Schofield should have played. Disappointed he didn't get a farewell game
- Ah chee and Petch offers nothing to the team. We have persisted with ah chee long enough already. Just delist him ASAP
+ Nic Nat, Hurn, Ryan, Darling all played exceptional
+ We may get Rioli back next year

I love how he thinks he's all that. I mean at that height anyone could pluck a few marks in a contest.
Barass needs to smash bodies.Always going at the highest point of the ball in the air is great when it pays off.Unfortunately when it doesnt;uh oh!! Hitting the body is backmans insurance.

Before I vanish:

fu** the Pies.

fu** arsey goals.

fu** the umpires.

Watch Geelong crush them by 10 goals since this will be their only good game for the year.
Dont think so, the Cats are terrified of us, we did beat em by five goals this season. oh and thanks for your media calling us the DIRTY MAGPIES. that fired us up nicely, that worked real well, hey !

Im really unsure where this aging list is at.

Aging midfield thats one paced and relies on making adjustments at quarter time breaks and is too reliant on nic.

Whats the chances of nic having another uninterupted season?

Our 2 key defenders too shaky when the pressure is applied. * they make some stupid decisions at times.

Our starting mids next year would be Shuey, yeo, kelly, gaff, redden, sheed.

On paper that midfield ranks amongst the best of them

On GameDay that midfield consistently gets outplayed.

This has been the consistent theme of our losses.the past 5 years - so it has to be our stoppage, midfield set up rather than personnel.

Gaff needs to go back to being a permanent winger

Only one of sheed/redden in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back