Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Im really unsure where this aging list is at.

Aging midfield thats one paced and relies on making adjustments at quarter time breaks and is too reliant on nic.

Whats the chances of nic having another uninterupted season?

Our 2 key defenders too shaky when the pressure is applied. fu** they make some stupid decisions at times.

Our starting mids next year would be Shuey, yeo, kelly, gaff, redden, sheed.

On paper that midfield ranks amongst the best of them

On GameDay that midfield consistently gets outplayed.

This has been the consistent theme of our losses.the past 5 years - so it has to be our stoppage, midfield set up rather than personnel.

Gaff needs to go back to being a permanent winger

Only one of sheed/redden in the team.
I think its just desire to win the ball at all costs at every contest. You get the impression that some blocks just expect their team mates to do the hard work then they come into the player later.

Did we try anything tactically to break the tag on TK? It's difficult to know without commentators telling me who is in the goal square.

TK is a proven goal kicker, incredibly elusive and a hard ball getter. Further to that, we know the Pies run a tagger and without Yeo, TK was a prime candidate for a tag. Did we take 5 minutes to even ponder the scenario of how we'd adapt to this?

Shuey is used to it, sometimes he plays through it and wins. But I would've thought when Kelly was being so well held we'd at least try another option. Roll Cripps or Ryan on ball for half a quarter and park TK in the goal square to cause a mismatch.

We didn't win the game but I hope we learnt something to adapt in the future.

For me there’s just no urgency, no desire in our players since we won the flag. In 2018’s first game against Sydney, we were almost 10 goals down, but then showed some fight to get close to a win. Again in the finals series we were desperate and put pressure on the opposition to cause turnovers and we looked like we had hunger for the contest, but now we just jog around looking like we don’t care.

Even at what looks like half pace we could have won that game, but we missed some pretty easy shots for professional forwards. They’re not the only ones to blame mind you, our mids didn’t seem that interested in winning the footy at times.

I see a lot of people who are always positive about our current side, and that’s great, but the reality is we haven’t been that side since the 2018 GF. Don’t get me wrong, at our best we are incredible and I’d say the best side in the comp, but we look like we don’t want to do the work most of the time. Until we get rid of the general malaise that haunts this current team, we will keep underachieving, and let’s be honest, with the talent we have on paper, anything less than a GF is underachieving.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

Pardon again for the intrusion, there's a bit of talk about the umpiring howlers - I agree there's quite a few from last night.

* The Billy walking over the boundary not paid deliberate when the Gov one was paid - exact same
*Nic Nat tackling his own player and Tay gets pinged
* The Billy dropping the ball in a tackle, with prior not pinged
* JT's mark i50 and Gov jumping straight into his back, no mark or free paid.
* Crisp's throwing the ball in the contest after Tay smothered Cole's kick, this one was not so obvious watching the replay. It would be hard for an ump to pay this one unless it was an absolute clear throw. It wasn't clear cut enough obviously.
* A couple of not 15m we got away with, and one Moore passed to Bruzzy I think it was in the back pocket that was clearly at least 20m and the ump called play on.
Agree with most of this. The throw in the end would've been hard to spot amongst the congestion. Even the Gov deliberate I am ok with ( I wasn't at the time naturally), he needed to do a better job of disguising it - which is the ridiculous part.

The Elliott one is the one that pissed me off. Out in the open, took on the tackler and dropped the pill. Should be on the video of what to pay HTB for. The umpire was just blatantly wrong, and led directly to a goal.

Agree with most of this. The throw in the end would've been hard to spot amongst the congestion. Even the Gov deliberate I am ok with ( I wasn't at the time naturally), he needed to do a better job of disguising it - which is the ridiculous part.

The Elliott one is the one that pissed me off. Out in the open, took on the tackler and dropped the pill. Should be on the video of what to pay HTB for. The umpire was just blatantly wrong, and led directly to a goal.
The 2 for mine was the blatant HTB on Elliot in the 3rd quarter and the kicking in danger which was called a trip on Redden.

The Elliot HTB was disgusting. One of the most clear HTB's all night and it went uncalled.

The trip called against Redden was ****ed. He was on the floor picking up the ball when Treloar (?) soccerred it forward and the umpire called a trip? Cox marks and kicks a regulation shot.

The 2 for mine was the blatant HTB on Elliot in the 3rd quarter and the kicking in danger which was called a trip on Redden.

The Elliot HTB was disgusting. One of the most clear HTB's all night and it went uncalled.

The trip called against Redden was f’ed. He was on the floor picking up the ball when Treloar (?) soccerred it forward and the umpire called a trip? Cox marks and kicks a regulation shot.
Yeah, I was saying to my mate "Ha - they've actually paid kicking in danger." Which of course they hadn't.

Umpires were probably warned about the noise of affirmation as they prepared to adjudicate the biggest crowd for the season. In fact it was probably one of the biggest sporting crowds in the world in this Covid-universe.

What a game to market to the world, as an aside. If you didn't have a horse in that race it would've been incredible viewing.

Im really unsure where this aging list is at.

Aging midfield thats one paced and relies on making adjustments at quarter time breaks and is too reliant on nic .........
Gaff needs to go back to being a permanent winger

Only one of sheed/redden in the team.

Absolutely agree, Gaff to stay at wing.

Absolutely disagree with only one of Sheed and Redden.

Just get them both to share any of Petchs, Ah Chee's or Ainsworths positions.

For me there’s just no urgency, no desire in our players since we won the flag. In 2018’s first game against Sydney, we were almost 10 goals down, but then showed some fight to get close to a win. Again in the finals series we were desperate and put pressure on the opposition to cause turnovers and we looked like we had hunger for the contest, but now we just jog around looking like we don’t care.

Even at what looks like half pace we could have won that game, but we missed some pretty easy shots for professional forwards. They’re not the only ones to blame mind you, our mids didn’t seem that interested in winning the footy at times.

I see a lot of people who are always positive about our current side, and that’s great, but the reality is we haven’t been that side since the 2018 GF. Don’t get me wrong, at our best we are incredible and I’d say the best side in the comp, but we look like we don’t want to do the work most of the time. Until we get rid of the general malaise that haunts this current team, we will keep underachieving, and let’s be honest, with the talent we have on paper, anything less than a GF is underachieving.

Just my two cents. Cheers.
That's why we need a Sam Mitchell or Don Pyke type assisting in the coaching box cracking the whip when it's called for - Simmo comes across as a bit soft at times.

Well I better not say anything about the coach I may get kicked out of here again.

On CPH1921 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Again? The worst kept secret is revealed 🤣
You won’t get kicked out of here Fig. Tell us what you think of our horrible coach. When is he getting sacked??

2019-20

Nic Nat - Huge improvement
Shuey - Regressed
Sheed- regressed
Kelly-Regrees
Yeo - Injured but regressed
Redden- on par but 2019 was a down year
Gaff - Improved/on par

You don't win premierships with 2 of your mids showing improvement or performing at an A grade level. Without Nic Nat thing might have been ugly this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really liked and miss the Vardy Lycett combo: they were both great in 2018: solid, fearsome and scared the s**t outta the oppo. Something we sorely lack is a hard edge - Yeo and to a lesser extent Redden & Schofield bring that.

NN is all class: he's elite, no doubt. I still do miss that duo though (though Vardy in 2019 was below WAFL). I totally agree with NN absent = no finals. He carried us in quite a few games.

It's probably cause he's good mate with Barrass but Cam Mccarthy was at the pub on saturday and he seemed pretty devo at the loss.

Ainsworth had that shot from the point post and put it out on the full too - an AFL footballer shouldn't miss by THAT much, it's what they're paid to do.

At least Ah Chee was on the run with someone chasing him, Ainsworth had a set shot.
Who shoved him with two hands in the back. Couldn’t believe that the umpire didn’t call that obvious free kick.

That one comes down to umpire positioning. I don't know why but the instructions for the 3 umpires has them standing in the middle of the ground. The two best umpired sports I know of (field hockey and NFL) have the official positioned around the edges so they can see the angles through the play.

To be fair, none of that would have happened if Cole had better game sense and signalled TK to pass it to the open man (Sheed?) on the outside.

From the replay it was too hard to undeniably see if it was a throw, that camera shot was right in front of Crisp and I couldn't tell. Would've been the quickest of eye to determine.

From the replay it was too hard to undeniably see if it was a throw, that camera shot was right in front of Crisp and I couldn't tell. Would've been the quickest of eye to determine.

Two open hands does not a handball make.

Either way assuming West Coast could get into a scoring position if a free had been paid is generous and highly speculative -the Pies were running back in significant numbers and would have clogged it all up.

The game was lost well prior to that point at any rate. Pies took their opportunities and West Coast squandered too many of theirs.

Two open hands does not a handball make.

Either way assuming West Coast could get into a scoring position if a free had been paid is generous and highly speculative -the Pies were running back in significant numbers and would have clogged it all up.

The game was lost well prior to that point at any rate. Pies took their opportunities and West Coast squandered too many of theirs.

Can't definitely say it was two open hands from the replay, not convincingly anyways. In any case you're right there were other moments that won and lost that final.

I was sitting behind the goals in row 5 (second row that had people) and it was deadset obvious to me, because I was in a good position. If one umpire was on the throwing side and further toward the goal (to easily be able to see the play), they would have spotted it.

Is there any reason why we didn't play Waterman up forward, Schoey down back, Ah Chee in the stands?

Are we still at the mercy of our post-Cousins era over-correction?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back