Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, we won. Picked by <20 so we just exceeded my expectations. Helped by the Pies injuries, but really, that wasn't a good effort.

So,
Positives
We won
Witherden. Excellent debut.
AOAllen. This kid just keeps getting better.
Darling - 5 goals and at times looked like he was going to tear the whole game apart.
Redden - stepped up. Now keep it up.
edit - Brander - impressed again

Negatives.
It seems the usual suspects are here.
Ran out of puff by 3/4 time. What is going on here?
Too tall and too slow.
Cripps. You are there as a defensive small forward who kicks a few now and again and has more goal assists than goals. Get that pressure game back or you are just a liability.
Nebbish the witches hat. 2 handpasses and 8 hitouts in 60% game time. Blardy 'ell. That's poor even by nebbish standards.
That head clash at the end.

Not optimistic for next week.

+ 4 points.
Oscar is an absolute star. Darling had a fantastic 2nd quarter and game overall. JK was held, but I love the three pronged attack. You can't keep them all down.
Mids were better. Sheed loves destroying a Pie, especially after we traded up to get him.

-
Fadeouts are gonna kill us. Even at this point in the year its is the difference between us being top 4 and not.

Small forwards.

Neutral - we need to find a way to stay in touch with the top 4 until after the bye when we can get Yeo, Shuey and Ryan back

997823.png
tenor.gif

Not enough mentions for Tim Kelly, I reckon. Played really well last night. Got plenty of the ball and used it really well for the most part. Nice to see him starting to put together a string of good games. Let's hope he can continue the run next week.

One of the most pleasing things was our ability to modify our approach in game.

Against Port, you could see that we had trained all week for contested ball and we just followed the same strategy - great! But against St Kilda we were unable to change tact mid game when plan A was not working. We’ve been spoilt that plan A has been enough for so long.

However, you could see after qtr time last night that there was a deliberate strategy to take a step closer to the stoppage contest - and opposition - to bring the pressure and then shovel the ball backwards to find the outlet.

It’s the first time I can remember where we changed the momentum of the match, especially at the stoppages, and it wasn’t due to Naitanui dominating.

Langdon was terrible. Hard to know what we do with the small forward situation, but I’d be inclined to persist with Langdon and give him more time

XON needs a good month in the WAFL. Not up to the intensity at present. Ainsworth deserves a go in a tagging role I think
Nelson should be persisted as the tagger IMO. Agree about O’Neill, feels like he can’t step up to the pace and intensity - not especially optimistic about his future at AFL level. Langdon stinks - would probably be just as useful giving Winder or Cameron that opportunity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Langdon - for a dumbarse like me, what is he doing that is so bad? He'l never be Ryan/Rioli or even Petrol but isnt he serviceable?

13 touches in a FP & 3 tackles. Disp eff 69%

Is it because he has the #7? :shoutyoldman:

Went to the game last night...fantastic seeing the crowd at full capacity

Positives

Oscar Allen....awesome performance great marks and kicked goals when we needed them
Witherden...great debut nice natural kick
Darling beast mode
Redden was everywhere
Kelly good
Sheed some great goals
Brander is big
Nelson on Pendlebury....did not see much of pendles

Negatives
Start was slow and we played our typical slow up and lose the 4th quarter again !!!.........is it mental or fitness ?? we always lose the 4th quarter
Did not see much of O'neil or langdon
Nicant looked lost in transition
Did not notice Vardy much

Moving on we will get done again against the Cats....we are a different side away from the comforts of Optus.

The real challenge is next week

I come in peace. Well done last night. Too strong for us even with your weakened line up.
Love the list you guys have built too. Very jealous.
What is the fans take on the relative lack of success over the last few seasons, aside from 2018, while the tigers have taken almost all the glory? I rate your list over theirs although they do have the Dusty factor.
WC have immense depth through the middle, great backs, and great forward options. I don’t really see a weakness. Do you rate the coaching group or is it possibly the constant travel that hamstrings this list from being Richmond level successful?
Anyway, I hope you win the lot this year as I’m over the Tigers.
Good luck moving forward.

I was pretty happy with the game in the end. Even Simmo admitted (in after game press conf) that we were a bit tall, but we got it done. Guess they selected the best players we had available.

That first quarter was absolute garbage and I was very restless. Ended up going for a walk around start of 2nd to grab a hotdog and by the time I got back to my seat, the Eagles had turned it on and were away. Great to see them being able to flick the switch.

The exciting thing is that we are effective playing two men down at the moment, when you look at the low output of guys like vardy and langdon. How good can this team get when we get personnel back?

This win means we get through the hard part of our fixture at 3-3 at worst and we'll setup for a winning streak. Should smash it after the bye, when we get our injured stars back.

On Langdon - for a dumbarse like me, what is he doing that is so bad? He'l never be Ryan/Rioli or even Petrol but isnt he serviceable?

13 touches in a FP & 3 tackles. Disp eff 69%

Is it because he has the #7? :shoutyoldman:

Just makes the wrong decisions with ball in hand. Needs to be better defensively too I think

So Vardy. His stats were not super but did I dream it or did he win more than a couple of ruck duels and even tapped it to one of ours for a clearence or two?

He will or Bailey will play most weeks. Oscar just showed what he can do playing 100% forward AND Cats have a naturually tall defense so playing tall forward v Cats could work.

I was pretty happy with the game in the end. Even Simmo admitted (in after game press conf) that we were a bit tall, but we got it done. Guess they selected the best players we had available.

That first quarter was absolute garbage and I was very restless. Ended up going for a walk around start of 2nd to grab a hotdog and by the time I got back to my seat, the Eagles had turned it on and were away. Great to see them being able to flick the switch.

The exciting thing is that we are effective playing two men down at the moment, when you look at the low output of guys like vardy and langdon. How good can this team get when we get personnel back?

This win means we get through the hard part of our fixture at 3-3 at worst and we'll setup for a winning streak. Should smash it after the bye, when we get our injured stars back.

3 3 after 6 is better than it looks given the opposition. Was happy with 3 3 before the seqson started.

What is really needed is a quality win on the road......like next week.

Nelson should be persisted as the tagger IMO. Agree about O’Neill, feels like he can’t step up to the pace and intensity - not especially optimistic about his future at AFL level. Langdon stinks - would probably be just as useful giving Winder or Cameron that opportunity
XON being judged pretty harshly I reckon.

Has been in and out of the side, and differing roles between WAFL and AFL.

Was quiet last night, but we had 3 guys over 35 touches, another couple over 30. That is unusual for us, and those players dominated the possession. It won't happen every week, but when it does we will have some guys with quieter games.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back