Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs. Demons - Rd 22, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t like the end result but the boys did show a lot in this game. Did not start well but made up for it in the 2nd half. Umpiring was sooo bad and did cost us that game. We did not have a tall forward and this did really hurt us.

+ Fight back

+Rioli

- Umpiring

- JD concussion

Brisbane have been admirable this year, but they struggled to get over GC. They'll be thinking about the beers and strippers in Vegas, whereas our guy will be thinking about the fact they can avoid travelling for the next 4 weeks. Way too much to play for this week, they'll be fired up.
I hope they are.
However, with Fagan so concerned about his player making inappropriate comments about GC being soft resulting in the strong onfield reaction from the GC, I am a bit worried how Fagan would motivate his Brisbane players in the last round. The end results can go either way.
Historically, the last round tipping is always the most difficult.

Anyone else see the blond umpire having a friendly chat with Gawn at 3 qtr time?
Gave Gawn a pat on the back as they parted. Probably nothing in it but not a good look.
Vic umpires couldn't possibly be biased towards a Vic team could they?

Anyone else see the blond umpire having a friendly chat with Gawn at 3 qtr time?
Gave Gawn a pat on the back as they parted. Probably nothing in it but not a good look.
Vic umpires couldn't possibly be biased towards a Vic team could they?
I recalled one of our forum members mentioned about the word "Equalization" in the Draft and Trade thread regarding Free Agency.
Certainly, this word came to my mind as i was watching the game. The umpiring was so weird?!

Haven't been able to watch the game yet but caught the highlights and boy oh boy, the commentary sounds deplorable. That wasn't Papalia was it?

Haven't been able to watch the game yet but caught the highlights and boy oh boy, the commentary sounds deplorable. That wasn't Papalia was it?
It was BT, Peter Bell and Bartell. BT is a serious hack job, continuously got Ryan and Rioli mixed up and called Optus studium "Subiaco" a number of times.
Bartell has a hard-on for umpires going against WC and Peter Bell is still salty about Freo.

Not really positives and negatives for me, just random thoughts.

Strange game. A bit like last week in that in many ways we didn't play well but in some ways, I really liked our tenacity. The game was a mixed bag for us but the one thing this team has (which we maybe couldn't say in the recent past) is some heart. They won't roll over. That is a real positive for me.

Our first choice midfield at full strength and firing is up there with most others but thereafter it falls down. With NN and now Gaff down, our lack of midfield shows. Sure, if Shuey, Yeo and Redden (previously Gaff) all fire at once, all game, then we do well but if one is slightly off (injured/suspended) for any period, we are relying on not much.

As much as I want to keep Lycett and I think he is decent, I wouldn't over pay for him. I think there are other ruck choices we can get that would be just as effective for far less. My preference is to keep him but wouldn't overpay.

Whilst the umpiring was perplexing, that was more to do with the inconsistency from week to week and from the start of the season. There were a lot of non-decisions that were perplexing but it was far more a "put the whistle away" umpiring performance that will be more finals like and I actually prefer that approach (howlers aside). Regardless, the Dees were clearly the better side for me on the day and it was only our tenacity that kept us in it.

I think the selectors have made two recent wrong decisions. Not blooding another key forward option (Mallen) when JK and JD have been injured. Gov is not a swing-man (at least not within games - although he may be able to play forward if given an extended run at it) and it messes with our structures too much to move him forward. We have no idea if JK will be back and for how long if he is and we have not prepared for finals in case of injury to him or JD. If JK isn't back next week, we have to play Mallen (or Waterman - but I don't see Waterman as a KPP). We have also, in my view, picked the wrong mix of mids (although Sheed has been ok - momentum killing issues aside at times) since Gaff's brain explosion. We need more run and accumulation. Parto for me was the obvious choice but his ticket seems stamped and I doubt they will change the mix now given Sheed has been ok.

It was BT, Peter Bell and Bartell. BT is a serious hack job, continuously got Ryan and Rioli mixed up and called Optus studium "Subiaco" a number of times.
Bartell has a hard-on for umpires going against WC and Peter Bell is still salty about Freo.
Cheers, might choose an alternative soundtrack tonight for the replay. ;)

WC will bury Brisbane this week, lock away second spot, gete JK and JD back and get on another 10 game winning streak.
Let's hope so...WCE really blew their chances on Sunday (opposition scored way too freely which is a real worry before the finals)....some thought it will be an easy victory against the Dees because media and people say they haven't beaten anyone top eight (now they have added us into their top eight victory accomplishment at Optus)...so this coming weekend three teams will be competing for the 2nd position...all will be decided on the percentage for all three teams depending on the outcomes....if play like we did this weekend and the one against Port by letting teams get a head start is rightly what we deserve.....
Worst case scenario if we lose against Lions (3 goals or more) and Hawthorn and Collingwood win 3 goals or more (on 120% all three teams) we would face Richmond first final at the MCG. The comp is extremely close this year...

Last edited:
Negatives...Two dropping/holding the ball not paid to us in the square.free kicks dont have to be equal.If they are there.PAY THEM!
...,Foxtel/Jimmy Bartel..Yes there were TWO teams playing.
...The Footy Show,Foxtel,The West, it seemed every organization in the country went out of its way to tell Melbourne how weak they were.Talk about motivating a side.
... Knowing before the game we were a lock for top four took a bit off us.
..It seems every game i ask the question;whats with Yo's slow starts?
..Shuey was shut down.Mate if you are being shut out why keep doing/or trying to do the same thing?If your not contributing to the team maybe you need to change your attack on the contest.Become the hunter,make a conscious decision to get 15 tackles and 20 shepherds.Sacrifice your own glory for the good of the team.Its hard for a tagger to tackle and scrag you when you are tackling and scragging somebody else.
...At centre bounces a third of the circle would be empty and that was where Gawn put the ball.They were ready for it and the first two guys to the ball were generally Dees.Wake up boys!
...Lycett wasnt judging his leap at all well.Same round the ground.Standing still and trying to mark in a pack is not his forte.He needs to run and launch.
....Teams are putting a lot of work into Mcgovern and two weeks in a row its worked.Its only going to get worse in finals.Why dont we put him in the guts?Hes big, strong, great mark, terrific footy brain,etc.If hes not getting a touch hes no use to us.Yeh yeh move him forward.Thats our masterstroke.Think outside the box.hes got the strong body work to bother Gawn.
...Cole theres a time to take clean possession and theres a time to tap/punch the ball to advantage.Its fairly hard for a smaller bloke like you to run straight through somebody thats directly in front of you.
...Venables those early kicks! But did some good stuff and should have got a few free kicks.Talk about getting scragged..
...Masten having probably career best season yet his decision making is ordinary.Mate you have got a reasonable left foot yet you constantly do the big cartwheel onto the right and are then forced to take the long option ,usually to a two on one.Turn and cut infield onto you left and look for the short pass.
...To the wholer f**king side,cut infield and look for the short pass.
...when we would have a kick around halfback the camera would pan forward and all our blokes would be 50+ away.Even then nobody would be front and centre ,everybody looking for the easy out the back.Where was the hard running to gaps to give us a 20-30 pass? We dont work hard enough to present.
...Jetta your a cut above most people on a footy field but you take a few easy/lazy options sometimes.Lower your eyes occasionally.Yes we all love the scything 50m pass that opens everything up,but there is a time to look short/sideways and retain possession.
...Lecras bit slow, bit sloppy,bit hesitant.
...With a small forward line;WHY do we play big?? Big bombs to Vardy and hope.With a mosquito fleet why not kick to space?Why bomb to a 3 on 2 or 4 on 2/ grubber the ball,kick to space,chaos balls.We have fast talented one on one forwards,why dont we kick to their strengths?
Positives...
...we didnt get blown away
...Ryans handball.Fantastic.
...Vardy attacked the contest well
...Shepherds attack on the contest.
..Rioli is so dangerous.
...I thought Reddan worked his arse off.

-ve's:

Slow starts are killing us every week, not just at the start of the game but the Dees kicked the first goal of every quarter too. We shouldn't need to concede to kick us into life.

Lack of intensity in the contest, it wasn't a total smashing in contested possessions but it was significant. The games are not getting any easier from here and the boys need to lift, too many shrugged tackles.

Probably the worst I have seen the back 6 play all year in terms of cohesion. Too often someone would run off their man towards a contest and get caught in no man's land leaving a Dee free for an easy goal. Can't happen in finals.

+ve's

Sheed and Masten made them selves available for the ball, not always great use but they didn't shy away and we are going to need them both confident and firing in the coming weeks.

Good game from Vardy, provided an option at full forward and had more of an impact in the ruck than Lycett.

Rioli - has really stood up when we have been under manned

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article has the "Jamie Cripps - Aaron Vandenberg free kick " comments wrong. Whether the umpire was guessing or not, nobody knows(including the author). However, it is definitely a free kick to Cripps as Vandenberg contested with his eyes off the ball at the last seconds. Vandenberg had no right to hit Cripps in the air if his intention was not to mark the oncoming ball!
The video shows that Vandenberg knew that he was late for the ball contest and decided to protect himself with a defensive side turn with his eyes looking at the ground to ensure his safe landing. If he did not turn his eyes away, then it should not be a free kick.
At the game it looked like the hit was in the contest, if not barely a fraction of a second after Cripps had his hands on it. Tough but not too worried, as it was finals-like intensity and I don't mind the whistles going away for some of those 50/50 free-kick scenarios.

Did I heard Mark Readings commentating or am I hearing things

Last edited:
Willie Rioli is a ******* star. I had high hopes when we drafted him, but he has exceeded my expectations.

His highlight reel for this year alone will be better than most players across their bloody careers.
Was it him that put the cross right in the back of the old onion bag? That was unreal

Was a good game. Good finals type pressure and am happy the umps let play go as it will be like that in the finals.
I feel our soft run at home sets us up for failure when the calls dry up in the finals so players get a chance to look at it prior.

Melbourne played well. We weren't without a chance but just weren't as clean when it counted as we had used a lot of petrol tickets getting back into the game with JD down as well.
You can't give up 4 goal starts to good teams even at home and think it will be ok.

Went to the game - would never pay to watch West Coast, but watching as a "neutral" can offer the following observations.

- Jack Redden was significant, his year has surprised me greatly - he is a contested player of some pedigree.
- Liam Ryan is a nice story and has freakish talent - but he is not an AFL level decision maker.
- Elliot Yeo is an A grade midfielder - he is very honest.
- Chris Masten rips into his players like nothing I have ever seen before, particularly when it is his error.
- Tom Barrass is too slow to play the goal keeping role.
- Sheppard is an underrated player.
- Willie Rioli will be an elite player of the competition if he keeps the dedication to his craft.
- Dom Sheed is very slow, is not accountable and one sided to the point of going against the style of play Simpson has created.

Think you will reach the GF if you knock off Brisbane, play Collingwood week one of finals, then run over Hawthorn at home.

Won't matter at the G though. Tigers flag to lose.

I don’t know what Pat is on about, coz I thought Ah Chee was really good playing an unfamiliar role yesterday. He often stopped the opposition forward sorties.

I thought there were a couple of times where he didn't run hard enough defensively or got caught out of position, but on balance he was far from terrible. It was a pretty good game between 2 teams that both wanted to win, but some people just can't handle a loss and need a scapegoat.

Went to the game - would never pay to watch West Coast, but watching as a "neutral" can offer the following observations.

- Jack Redden was significant, his year has surprised me greatly - he is a contested player of some pedigree.
- Liam Ryan is a nice story and has freakish talent - but he is not an AFL level decision maker.
- Elliot Yeo is an A grade midfielder - he is very honest.
- Chris Masten rips into his players like nothing I have ever seen before, particularly when it is his error.
- Tom Barrass is too slow to play the goal keeping role.
- Sheppard is an underrated player.
- Willie Rioli will be an elite player of the competition if he keeps the dedication to his craft.
- Dom Sheed is very slow, is not accountable and one sided to the point of going against the style of play Simpson has created.

Think you will reach the GF if you knock off Brisbane, play Collingwood week one of finals, then run over Hawthorn at home.

Won't matter at the G though. Tigers flag to lose.
Fair assessment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back