Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs. Demons - Rd 22, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The nicnat loss is the biggest
Jd and jk(particularly) will straighten our kicking, and gaffs running kicking, but the loss of nn is the killer
He rucks(well) he ruck roves, kicks goals, and tackles hard and his presence lifts the team
It’s like playing with an extra guy on the ground
Regardless of stats (which I couldn’t give a f... about)

The big positive is Rioli Ryan and venebles believing they can play. And they can. When jk is back, they will thrive and we’ll still be a threat

Backline-solid

Aside from yeo, I’m just not sure Lycet shuey, redden are up to taking on the best in finals
I agree with everything you said bar Shuey he is a proven player in pressure games mate. Bar the GF and the GWS debacle last year has been rock solid in finals

Thought the smaller defenders Cole, Duggan and Shep all performed extremely well.

Barrass was exceptional in first quarter and thought 2nd and 3rd quarters were serviceable. Last quarter he made a couple of crucial errors but we got owned in the midfield - when we he went and left his player unmanned - simply an error of judgement. In defence those errors of judgement cost a goal and everyone remembers. In the forward line line everyone seems to forget comparable errors.

The ball was coming in so often and so quickly and with less than intense pressure made pin pointing passed by Melb players a little easier.
Cole had a mare mate unfortunately was his worst game of the year cost us a few easy goals

I agree with everything you said bar Shuey he is a proven player in pressure games mate. Bar the GF and the GWS debacle last year has been rock solid in finals

Yea, maybe my view is tainted by his first couple of finals, from memory he kept on getting caught with the ball etc
I’m really hoping he brings it on this finals, as his skills are so much more crucial without gaff there

I still think our midfield is a vast improvement on the last couple years
Priddis killed for me, momentum killer, couldn’t run couldn’t kick

Watching the replay of the game. If anyone wants to get a good idea of the general apathy that Sheed shows defensively have a look at his effort on the Melbourne half forward line with about 5:00 remaining in the first quarter. Half arsed effort to corral vandenBerg and then leaves it up to Venables to chase Fritsch. Typical of his off the ball work all day yesterday.

Btw i rate Cole highly and has been our most improved player this year but you have to call a spade a spade and he was poor. Got caught HTB 3 times turned the ball over twice in the 1st qtr resulting in a goal and another shot on goal. He will be better for it hes made of the right stuff

Btw i rate Cole highly and has been our most improved player this year but you have to call a spade a spade and he was poor. Got caught HTB 3 times turned the ball over twice in the 1st qtr resulting in a goal and another shot on goal. He will be better for it hes made of the right stuff
Well seeing as he only had 2 frees paid against him the whole game I find this hard to believe, especially seeing as one of those was high contact in a marking contest in which the opposition player had basically already marked the ball.
Also had the 3rd highest DE% on the whole team (84.6%).
Maybe it's not me who needs to pay attention.

Anyone at all surprised that Oscar McDonald was cleared for his tackle on Darling? One arm pinned, hint of a downwards drive in the tackle and a player out of the game with concussion. What happened to these outcome based suspensions? Never agreed with them where it was a genuine tackle but the AFL has set out their stall on this previously.

Would have been interesting if Darling was the tackler and McDonald the tacklee what Michael Christian’s decision would have been...
I don't think that should have been a suspension. What drives me nuts is that plenty of players have been suspended for the same thing based on the outcome alone (concussion). Nic Nat is the obvious example.

Now that it happens to one of our players and Christian is nowhere to be seen. What an absolute joke, either be consistent or don't bother in the first place.

I don't think that should have been a suspension. What drives me nuts is that plenty of players have been suspended for the same thing based on the outcome alone (concussion). Nic Nat is the obvious example.

Now that it happens to one of our players and Christian is nowhere to be seen. What an absolute joke, either be consistent or don't bother in the first place.
Nor did I but as I said in my original post the AFL has set a bit of an erroneous precedent of putting too much onus on the outcome/medical reports rather than the action. Seems they can apply common sense if and when it suits their chosen narrative (this week’s narrative is the Dees are back in finals for the first time in 12 years).

As I say, if it was one of our players that concussed a Demon’s player I can bet you London to a brick that they’d cop a week once Ralph, Stevens, McClure and every other Vic media muppet had run their smear campaign to influence Chrisso.

Nor did I but as I said in my original post the AFL has set a bit of an erroneous precedent of putting too much onus on the outcome/medical reports rather than the action. Seems they can apply common sense if and when it suits their chosen narrative (this week’s narrative is the Dees are back in finals for the first time in 12 years).

As I say, if it was one of our players that concussed a Demon’s player I can bet you London to a brick that they’d cop a week once Ralph, Stevens, McClure and every other Vic media muppet had run their smear campaign to influence Chrisso.
To be fair they didn't suspend Hurn for that bulldogs guy running into him, I was sure he would get a week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umpiring was certainly perplexing today, to say the least. The AFL recently had a inquiry into the supposed "advantage" we receive, and I think today was symptomatic of their attempt to fix a non existent problem - the amount of non calls alone is testament to that fact. I'm guessing they instructed the Victorian based umps they brought in (also part of the "solution") to hold back on calling blantent frees, to lesson the amount of free kicks in the game and let it "flow" more.

This inadvertently had result of more non calls at crucial parts of the game. Anyway, that's enough tinfoil hat time for me.

Are you serious? Did the AFL actually have an enquirer into this??

Watching the replay of the game. If anyone wants to get a good idea of the general apathy that Sheed shows defensively have a look at his effort on the Melbourne half forward line with about 5:00 remaining in the first quarter. Half arsed effort to corral vandenBerg and then leaves it up to Venables to chase Fritsch. Typical of his off the ball work all day yesterday.
Possibly stuffed, lacks fitness

So we have another priddis?
Maybe he'll win the Brownlow next year.

Ok ok don't shout me down just a joking ;)

Are you serious? Did the AFL actually have an enquirer into this??

Yeah, they actually did:
THE AFL says it is taking steps to investigate the reasons behind West Coast’s “noise of affirmation” as the Eagles’ free kick domination continues.

West Coast has won the free kick count in 61 of its past 73 home games against interstate opponents, including seven of eight Perth Stadium games.

AFL umpires coach Hayden Kennedy confirmed to the Herald Sun the league was investigating the trends behind the persistent pattern.
https://outline.com/VyvPKd

I didnt see game but i think the loss will make us hungry and desperate

The mrp ....its so biased...we all know it.

We win...get a week off. Treat this week like a final

I think we are getting close to having a well rounded team.I agree with above comments about Cole.He does try to break through a lot and gets caught occasionally,but he is a terrier and i like having him there.Remember this kid has only played a handful of games.Venables made a few cockups as well,but you can see what he brings to the team.Again hes only played a handful of games.Ryan,Rioli,Waterman , all the same.These guys are going to be fantastic for us in years to come.Jk is getting closer to the end but Allen and Brander look the goods.Im not sure if we've fired our last shot this year or not.We will beat Brisbane this week but it worries me at home in that we fell over the line [ thanks to injuries ] against the Cats,got rolled by Sydney,and lost to Melbourne.Teams are starting to pick us apart focusing on Gov especially.We will get back Jk [ hopefully ] but he wont have played a lot of footy and its not ideal entering a tough finals campaign.It does change the dynamic having him,but i think we need to tweak our tactics a little.Slow starts and a lack of quality depth in the guts aren't helping.I think Duggan,Cole and Gov can all do stints in the middle.These are tough competitors and nobody gets a free ride around them.Nelson should be looked at for a midfield role,hes tough,got nice candy and very good left and right.Cole i especially like around the middle as he has a bit of Dean Kemp about him.He looks,doesnt panic and short passes rather than bombing it.

I heard on the radio that this is the first time in 70-80 years that Collingwood,Melbourne and Richmond have played finals at the same time.Surely that cant be right!Stats gurus please! If thats true no non-Victorian side is going to get a look in.Prepare to be screwed in umpiring [ more ] dont dare go before the tribunal,and fixturing?? if they can be manipulated trust me they will!

I think we are getting close to having a well rounded team.I agree with above comments about Cole.He does try to break through a lot and gets caught occasionally,but he is a terrier and i like having him there.Remember this kid has only played a handful of games.Venables made a few cockups as well,but you can see what he brings to the team.Again hes only played a handful of games.Ryan,Rioli,Waterman , all the same.These guys are going to be fantastic for us in years to come.Jk is getting closer to the end but Allen and Brander look the goods.Im not sure if we've fired our last shot this year or not.We will beat Brisbane this week but it worries me at home in that we fell over the line [ thanks to injuries ] against the Cats,got rolled by Sydney,and lost to Melbourne.Teams are starting to pick us apart focusing on Gov especially.We will get back Jk [ hopefully ] but he wont have played a lot of footy and its not ideal entering a tough finals campaign.It does change the dynamic having him,but i think we need to tweak our tactics a little.Slow starts and a lack of quality depth in the guts aren't helping.I think Duggan,Cole and Gov can all do stints in the middle.These are tough competitors and nobody gets a free ride around them.Nelson should be looked at for a midfield role,hes tough,got nice candy and very good left and right.Cole i especially like around the middle as he has a bit of Dean Kemp about him.He looks,doesnt panic and short passes rather than bombing it.
we need to take a risk and change the midfield dynamic slightly for finals. Cole, Nelson, Duggan all could add a new dimension. More Willie when JK is fit.

Does anyone complain when the free kicks are tilted in our favour? Anyone boo the umpire or
create a thread on here..
"Hey, we're getting too many free kicks!!..WTF is going on?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back